/wdg/ - Web Development General

Hoes mad edition

Previous: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link
codesandbox.io - or here if you're using React/Angular/Vue

Attached: 1565095857865s.jpg (250x140, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ucertify.com/exams/1D0-61B-v2.2.html
vegibit.com/node-js-blog-tutorial/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're clueless use Netlify.

Can you guys tell me where to find free themes for a GOOGLE website? You know, those sites made by googles builder. I'm on a bind right now and need help, was told themeforst won't work because it only uses wordp

Please fucking help

>those sites made by googles builder.
post one

just search "free themes" + something

redpill me on Django

It's not Flask.

What is wordpress?

Is Flask better? Im new to both webdev and Python I just want to make a simple CRUD app with modern looking GUI easily since im bad at GUI

A CMS. Which basically is very customizable website meant for blogging, but is being repurposed for pretty much anything.

Yes, Flask is easier and just as good.

ive used it. its nice. python is garbage due to lack of typing though.

flask is simpler so I'd use it over django for a first project, especially because you wont need all the bells and whistles for a simple crud app.

Not specific to Flask, but Django’s ORM lacks basic functionality around doing a simple JOIN to a table with child rows in order to populate parent models with all child models. You end up going through prefetch_related to get that data as a separate query with keys in a LIKE, instead of it happening in a single query.

Annoyingly, it’s perfectly happy to do the same but getting related parent rows with select_related.

DRF is also slow as shit and you’re better off writing your own schema objects.

I picked up golang because Jow Forums hates it
ama
wait don't ama, I don't give a shit

I don't know how anyone can recommend codecademy. Shit is tedious as fuck and takes ages over basic concepts that wouldn't even need to be practiced at all.

golang is cute
lack of generics is strange though

Neither do I, so next time get a block or some relative.

how is it so far? some epic memer claimed to be getting 100k starting in here iirc, he thanked stack overflow

Hello there, brainlets
Please, stop spamming /dpt/ with your JavaScript questions.. thanks!!

wouldnt want to detract from high quality git merge diagrams in /dpt/

I don't post in /dpt/ but you are free to fuck off if you don't like the board.

ummm sweaty, you gotta have a job to post here
go back to posting your fizzbuzz implementations and programming socks on /dpt/

You would NEVER want a typed language when it comes to UX and web dev

What's the best/easiest way to get a remote job? Have got 2 years experience in mostly front-end and 2 doing full-stack

Attached: office-space.webm (640x350, 2.88M)

Best is to look beyond your country. Add people on Linkedin from different countries.

Guys I fucked up. I might drop out of school (not by choice) and I just started. I got a cert in web dev foundations from ucertify (html/css) and I'm prob going to get another in SQL (cert) and if I can make it a network and security foundations class (no cert). What can I do with this or what can I add that might get me an actual paycheck job?

>language specific certs
Lmao, I hope you're joking.

I picked this up to start
ucertify.com/exams/1D0-61B-v2.2.html

I wish I had a sad pepe folder right now

I can't change site permissions on my NoScript; is it fucked or do I need to get a new one?

>site permissions

what

I'm somewhat new to the web development scene and am just trying to build a website to get skill and eventually get an internship/entry level job.

What are some things I can realistically build in under three months? I'm working on a survey right now, but am kind of stumped on the CSS aspect / functionality.

Build a personal website.

That is what I'm doing.
Other than a blog and said survey, I'm not exactly sure what employers would find valuable.

My skill level right now just consists of grabbing pieces from w3schools and trying to make pleasing color palettes.

I know nothing about javascript or webdev in general, but my job is making me do this stupid online training where I have to go through 50 slides for like 6 different subjects. you can't click next slide for 10 seconds. I've figured out just calling the function for the last slide works, but I can't figure out how to bypass the tests at the end of each lesson. they're only like 15 questions but now I'm curious how to bypass it. it doesn't let you submit unless you fill in an answer for each question and I've figured out how to get around that, but what should I be looking for in the checkanswers() function to have it mark them all correct when I leave them blank?

Attached: 4d7.png (700x700, 825K)

post checkanswers()

Speak for yourself

>My skill level right now just consists of grabbing pieces from w3schools and trying to make pleasing color palettes.

Attached: 1564012269435.png (670x670, 249K)

>he donest his front-end write in ghcjs
P L E B

seriously though typescript is fantastic

Elaborate anime face poster.

function checkAnswers() {
var i;
//var numAnswered;

var numQuestions = $('#hidNumQuestions').val();

var questionIndex = [];
var questionNumIndex = [];
var questionsMissed = [];
$('.js-questionNum').each(function() {
questionIndex.push($(this).text());
});
$('.js-questionID').each(function() {
questionNumIndex.push($(this).text());
});

for (i = 0; i < numQuestions; ++i) {
if (!$('input[name=radio' + questionNumIndex[i] + ']').is(":checked")) {
questionsMissed.push(i + 1);
}

}

if($('input:radio:checked').length < numQuestions){
// At least one group isn't checked
alert('You must provide an answer for the following questions so your test can be graded: ' + questionsMissed + '.');
event.preventDefault();
}
}

I have almost zero programming experience but I figure it's seeing if an answer is ":checked" then pushing that number to an array of wrong questions

kek it uses alert() to communicate with the user? that's really really awful UX

just update

if($('input:radio:checked').length < numQuestions){
to
if(false){
Note that this doesn't actually grade your questions, so they'll all probably be marked wrong if you click submit after making that edit. You have to figure out where the grading happens, which might be on a server not under your control.

you're right, it did mark them wrong. I can take it as many times as I want though and it doesn't record my failures, so I can keep testing it. Given other training I've done which was graded locally (a coworker knows the js bypass for that site), I'd wager this one is as well. Where should I start to look for the grading portion?

does the page refresh when you click submit? if so grading might be done on the server.

it does refresh, can I use the chrome developer tools, like the network tab, to see if it's just reloading the page or connecting to the server?

anyone happen to know how to pass a mock url to php when you run it from the cli rather than over a server?

is just a html/css website good enough? I mean that seems so easy. Can anyone link any examples to any website that would be considered impressive? It seems TOO easy so I must be wrong.

Okay...why?

>certs
Yea I have a shit ton of those, they're useless. Build a portfolio instead.

lemme see ur portfolio
can anyone who learned straight out of Jow Forums post portfolio ty

Who's saying anything about learning straight out of Jow Forums? If you think 20+ certifications from $10 Udemy courses will get you a job if you don't have any projects to show you're retarded.

>If you think 20+ certifications from $10 Udemy courses will get you a job if you don't have any projects to show you're retarded.
I'm sorry if I've lead you to believe this is what I'm talking about or interested in?

I literally just want to look at portfolios from here

Hahaha, holy shit, TypeScript is great.
I don't think I've ever seem, let alone write a function signature this convoluted before, but the amount of customization it allows is fantastic. Even the most dynamic object structure will be validated in the own text editor.

Attached: 1.png (1037x91, 10K)

please stop and give decent names for your stuff

Consensus here is w3schools is garbage. MDN is praised. I like internettingishard.com for html/css and javascript.info for javascript.

I'd say it's also consensus is don't bother doing anything else until you can write a scratch from site with vanilla html/css/js.

Maybe you can answer my question about Typescript:

Can you use it anywhere you would use JS, as if it is in fact JS itself? Can you use the JS Frameworks with it? What about Node.JS?

>Can you use it anywhere you would use JS, as if it is in fact JS itself?
Yes
>Can you use the JS Frameworks with it?
Yes
>What about Node.JS?
Yes

That's the point. TypeScript cotranspiles into JavaScript, there's no difference between the distribution code generated with TS and regular JS.

Okay, that's what I thought. I look forward to learning it once I get through this JavaScript tutorial. (maybe at that point I will stop learning languages and actually start programming.)

If you're still around and you're actually decent at programming, I can pay you like $100 for some SQL/Python work (around 2-3 hours/ worth).

Just drop your discord if you're interested.

Anything wrong with using jQuery for stuff like smooth scroll and popovers?

Make some arcade game, a calculator, a color picker, a registration form, a shopping basket, an interactive menu where a lot of things show/hide(even if it doesn't actually do anything). Just pick as many as you want from those and make them. It doesn't matter if they aren't perfect, as long as they aren't total shit it's ok.

You don't even need JS for smooth scrolling.

Thanks to this user I finally picked up TS and I'm loving it so far. The static typing makes me feel as if I'm a real programmer now.

Does anyone know how to auto compile on save? The shitty plugin I installed in Atom doesn't seem to be working properly.

what should i use then?

nvm im retarded. just looked it up on W3 dont know why I thought jQuery was necessary

do people actually enjoy webdev or do they just do it for the money?

anyone here actually have a webdev job? what kind of work and tasks does the employer give you normally? is webdev a career where you will be thrown in a stadium room full of tables of 1,000 pajeets the same way software developers work?

really depends on where you work. some places you are just a code monkey doing boring tasks over and over again where other places you are with a bunch of young hipsters being overpaid to make pretty sites.

How do I join the hipsters?

Hi bros, so, i got a decent job, the problem is this job is like ~5 hours every day, so i thought about starting being a web-dev freelancer to use up some more hours in the day, could this be possible if i spent like 2-3 hours every other day for example? It doesn't have to pay a lot, but just to gain some experience. And what freelancing site would be the best for this?

Attached: 124412124.jpg (1143x647, 112K)

>PHP, SQL:

Do i need to prepare simple sql statement with no user input ? How do I do that ?
Seems a bit awkward if i had to bind the same parameters as it is.

$sql = 'SELECT Name, title, MainImage, Price, Date FROM Holidays Limit 10';

is game dev a viable alternative to web dev

I need money but I want to kill myself if I dedicate time to something that I have no passion for and just don't care for at all

>do people actually enjoy webdev or do they just do it for the money?
A little bit of both
>anyone here actually have a webdev job?
Fullstack here
> what kind of work and tasks does the employer give you normally?
It's gotten to the point where I'm literally recreating full blown desktop apps in the web
Lots of interesting challenges from scalability, to mobile compatibility, and security.
> is webdev a career where you will be thrown in a stadium room full of tables of 1,000 pajeets the same way software developers work?
Most teams I've been on have had 3-6 people. Whether you're in a soulless pajeet code farm or not depends entirely on the place you work. I've been in both.

Do both. Make games in JavaScript, WebGL, whatever.

Don't listen to this man, he is clearly insane.

Not to mention that game dev is the biggest meme in the world. If you get any good at it, the best you could hope for is having your passion exploited by a AAA company.

should i host my portfolio site using github pages? i am pretty broke and think paying for something like bluehost is excessive.

>tfw a senior dev rewrites basically 90% of the code I just wrote

I know I'm a noob and gotta learn but it suxx

Gamedev is not profitable just webdab

I hope you read his code and learned something instead of just bitching because your ego is hurt

what if the browser interpret language wasn't turing complete?

Then you can't write a Turing machine with it.

I did and honestly I don't plan on moving.

What is that theme name?

> what is typescript

rate

file:///C:/Users/Tim/Desktop/portfolio.html

Not enough images

So none of you faggots helped me find a way to do a backend for my blog except for one user.

For anyone else: vegibit.com/node-js-blog-tutorial/

Thank you and good night.

Attached: cikb.webm (600x338, 1.85M)

>CSS is shit.
>No JS.

One Monokai.

I gave you advice though, not gave you the guide, but told you the keywords for the guide, sort of

You don't even need a backend for a blog. It's no one's fault that you're fucking retarded and expecting to learn the entire discipline of backend development from a single Jow Forums post.

Ok, you get 50%of a thank.

How do you create users, posts, categories and connect to and from a database without a backend faggo?

be patient, you need like 3 or 4 guides for this shit, read the docs though, it's suposed to be there

Is it feasible to become a web developer without going to school? I'm willing to go to school eventually, I just can't afford it for the time being. I am sort of acquaintances with a guy who runs a web development company in town.

>hey Jow Forumsee, I have no idea what backend even means but teach me how to build a blog that supports users, categories and must use a database lololol please?
You're beyond salvation, newfriend.

Kill self retard

Just use Gatsby, fgt.

What are you even doing here? Aren't you supposed to be following that Node.js tutorial you just posted? There's nothing else we can spoonfeed you with, just go and make your blog backend (i.e. copy and paste code from a blog post without even knowing what you're doing). Have fun newfriend!

>without going to school
Do you mean without going to college?
High school drop out?

Yeah, I meant college. I did drop out of high school, but I got my GED.

Enjoy this (you)

you can learn everything on your own, but it's a bit harder, also it takes more dedication and willpower because nobody is handholding you and giving you deadlines

The answers you will get are all based on personal experience.
I've worked with people who had never frequented college before, but they were minority in the company, and not having a diploma is always an excuse people will use to pay less for your work.
Don't see the answer of an user that may not even live in the same region, or even country as you as definitive though.