So Jow Forums, actually lurked this board as a kid. Took all the advice and got a job at Google a few months ago...

So Jow Forums, actually lurked this board as a kid. Took all the advice and got a job at Google a few months ago. Most recent deposit is the image.

AMA about software dev, my path here or whatever.

YOUNGER COMPUTER GEEKS: just keep grinding and this can be you easy. All you have to do is get into a decent school and then keep your grades up it's really that easy

Attached: elgoog.png (731x336, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insurancejournal.com/news/west/2019/06/07/528701.htm
github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer
727828.blogspot.com/2019/08/blog-post_4.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't give a shit desu

sorry you didn't get paid last month

Someone who doesn't give a shit doesn't make a post to say so. Nothing wrong with being jelly. The path here is honestly easy; even from nothing you can get to this in 2-3 years

Hope you enjoy shared living or living in a shipping box., Nigger

OP how hard was your math work load

This is the monthly deposit; overall comp is ~320k including stock. I'm tryna give back on this thread so feel free to reply if you want to know the path here

How much is your mortgage in the Valley? I make about half as much but, I have a feeling it's not worth it.

Attached: maxresdefault_0.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Hard, but not life ending. I used to think I didn't like math in HS because I had shitty teachers and because Calc and computing is lame.

Turns out I love discrete math and CS theory more generally, also had a million times better teachers in college. Honestly though you don't even need to be good to pass the Google interview. Just gind Cracking the Coding Interview and Leetcode problems. Pay for the premium leetcode for three months before your interview and do 1 hour daily

show path

I'm paying $4k for a 1-bed near alamo square lol; never admitted this to anyone in real life. Despite this, can't get pussy for shit so there you go.

You can't beat the bay for job opportunities, but if you don't work for a FAANG then the housing doesn't add up and you should go somewhere else.

This is my honest opinion but I've never told anyone IRL lol

Is google an echo chamber of SJW/ anti white far left politics?
Is that salary entry level, middle or leaning towards upper ceiling?

Path:

Normal high school in a suburb near cleveland

Think I care about healthcare

Try medium hard in HS, get a 4.5, then am president of some clubs because no one wants to be in charge.

Go to Johns Hopkins thinking I want to do biomedical engineering, switch to CS midstream because honestly fuck biomedical engineering.

Go to a Google on-campus event and apply through there.

Literally spend a month letting my grades go to shit and doing nothing but look through Cracking the Coding Interview, doing leetocde, and reading my algorithms and data structures textbook.

Do well on onsite interview, get paired with team, get hired, move, etc.

This is the people that are vocal. 99% of people don't give a shit about politics one way or the other and are there to code.

That said I'm kind of a lefty, and that's the corporate culture. Again though, I've never heard anyone really get into it anywhere other than the message boards desu.

I was referring to the anti white / forced diversity hiring practices scandal:
insurancejournal.com/news/west/2019/06/07/528701.htm

What would happen if you were to say you're a Trump supporter to higher ups?

>kind of a lefty
advice ignored also kys

Nice blog. How do I unsubscribe?

Lol ok stay poor fag. Here's a tip: the world doesn't revolve around your political ideology no matter what it is. Successful people make compromises. There's a guy in our office on the frontend team who's a huge Jordan Peterson/Joe Rogan guy and no one gives a shit

This is all from that one fag who played on the internal message boards like he was on /b/.

All the shit you see in media about anti-right-win practices are that guys' lawyers trying to make Google settle with them for a few years' salary lol. Don't get cucked by this low-tier misinformation

>I'm paying $4k for a 1-bed near alamo square.
Woo, that's stiff. I have a 4-4 house with a pool and pay 1/3 that.
But... it's probably worth the future connections for you. Good job.

>mad that someone is doing better than him
an hero jealous fag

Are you happy?

Honestly it's not worth. I made this deal before I lived in the bay and locked it in for a long time because my real estate agent fucked me.

I would go to the mission and just pay 3k for the same deal tomorrow if I could.

hello pajeet
does your office have a toilet or do you just go in the street like at home?

More or less. Ironically work here is super ez and chill outside of being close to release or whatever.

The thing I hate the most is tech dick measuring in the bay area. Everyone tries to one up you constantly no matter what you say and people will either bury themselves halfway up your ass or go full aggro once it's clear you're doing better than them.

I visited a friend in NY not too long ago and have been thinking about going there. Way more going on than SF and people aren't always talking tech bullshit

What languages do you work with?

What area do you work in? mobile? web dev?

How hard was the interview?

What is a interesting thing about you?

Attached: 1565303563112s.jpg (128x128, 4K)

You didn't read one of my earlier posts but I'm from a suburb outside of cleveland lol.

All the pajeets here are contractors and make cents on the dollar lol. Stay mad if you're mad tho

Are you some diversity hire who’s in charge of a nothing project and they just pay you that much because money means nothin to them and it’s funny to see the reactions from hardworking white people when a monkey can act obnoxious and get paid 5x their salary for it?

I mostly work in Go and Java. Got in a very specific area of security that I don't want to talk about much more since I feel like it'll out me to coworkers.

Interview is impossible unless you study for it in which case it's easy. Just grind like I said above, and do a few whiteboard sessions. Honestly it's more a game of preparation than skill; talked to a couple people here and they all agree other than the true neckbeards who do nothing but program in their spare time.

Interesting thing: I've been studying the cello seriously. Got a lot of free time and can afford good lessons and feel like girls cream for the cello. I know that sounds virgin as fuck but think about movies--there's never a person who plays cello who isn't sexy

Attached: botnet.png (600x200, 13K)

AFAIK there's no specific diversity hires or quotas, but hope you will get mad and choke to death on your tears lol

Do you have a Master's degree? Do you think one is useful, or will lead to higher wages?

Follow up:

Do you have GitHub?

Are you a virgin?

what car do you drive?

Why don't you live in a van for a year to save up money?

Do you like to travel?

That's a decade old color scheme you're making fun of. At least keep with the times lol

rate this code, Googler

Attached: go.png (1920x1080, 186K)

>I'm not a p-pajeet
>st-stay mad

Attached: 1535656245866.jpg (813x743, 39K)

Everyone I've talked to agrees that Masters' are bullshit.

If you need a new GPA or a new school name out of undergrad it's worth though. El goog only does visits to top-15 schools in US world report basically, so if you can get into those at least you can go to all the recruiting events. The online resume entry is basically a black hole so this is one of the only ways to have a realistic shot at getting in unless you're at one of the target companies for our recruiters and IDK what those are. Equivalently if your GPA is shit no one will hire you so you can get a Masters to have a new GPA and not include your undergrad one on your resume.

But yeah no educational value or whatever

amateur

I'm happy for you, user.

>do you have a github
no got hired out of college and just make tools internally if ever

>are you a virgin
lost it at 17 with my first girlfriend, who was a big titties goth girl

>what car do you drive
So far no car in the bay area. When I was a kid I got a '84 Mercedes secondhand because I thought it was cool

>why don't you live in a van
Because having a cool apartment in the center of the city kicks ass and I can afford it. Literally almost pays for itself in free coke from my friends at parties haha

>do you like to travel
Love travelling but hate to do it alone so I never do it. Planning on heading to the czech republic and NY for conferences next year tho.

Real talk do you not think boring old whiteys work at el goog because we're like 80% of the workforce from what I can see lol

Not a meaningful amount of code to rate. Honestly mere code without an infrastructure is bullshit these days. Check out github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer for more details on that

did experience played a huge role in your hiring or it was just based on your grades/ interview?

how good are you at
>backtrack/dp/memoization/graph algorithms/ optimization

>Honestly mere code without an infrastructure is bullshit these days
what do you mean? you want to see code that powers huge apps/programs?

lmao now u fucked up an outed yourself as a LARP good try tho

Touched to hear it user. Did not realize how much bullshit would be in this thread lol you're a ray of sunlight

how old are you? what are your main boards here?

Jow Forums?

Got hired out of college so experience played zero element lol

>how good are you at optimization
Didn't look at whatever the link is but you have to be able to analyze arbitrary algorithms for big-Oh in the interview and as a result I was good at that during the relevant time. You don't have to be afterwards of course

No I'm saying that
*A: I don't want to review some random channers code
*B: If you can't do devops in 2019 you're not worth shit

>No I'm saying that
> *A: I don't understand that code and need to deflect
> *B: I read this buzzword on reddit lol

How is this a LARP lol? I have the most boring life of anyone I know

>age:
>main boards
Jow Forums, /tg/, /vg/ and /wsg/ which is the secretly best board on this damn site these days

>If you can't do devops in 2019 you're not worth shit
i don't agree. some people don't care about devops. that's for sysadmins. You want to b e a jack of all trades?

>secretly best board on this damn site these days
i know right

they updated the upload limits to 6MB

Quote whoever you want but only one of us is making this shmoney

why does it show 2 numbers?

>9604

>13738

is it after taxes?

>he still doesn't see his mistake
like I said it was a good try kid but you have a ways to go before you can LARP with the big boys

Attached: 32f.jpg (251x242, 10K)

why don't you update chrishateswriting.com anymore?

what devops do you know? kubernets, docker?

True cloud storage has made sysadmins worthless on masse, but the industry hasn't figured it out yet. Y'all got 10 years max before everyone figures out your job is bullshit.

All the rest of us need ot figure out the two to three simple commands to replace the majority of your work, along with some basic logging and performance analytics/telemetry

lol

/wsg/ is purely untouched by all political bullshit, that's what makes it purely perfect. Even normal /gif/ you can't post ebony without some Jow Forumstard having a conniption

9604 is the deposit, 13738 is my account total after the deposit. I mostly hold my cash in ETFs and savings so things are getting moved out as they're getting moved in.

Honestly he's the saddest employee here. I've seen him once or twice and he's super awkward. AFAICT he's just here as a prestige hire and doesn't do shit

can I has monet to buy computer

Google has their own devops system called borg that k8s is based off, but that's the only one I really know

>Honestly he's the saddest employee here. I've seen him once or twice and he's super awkward. AFAICT he's just here as a prestige hire and doesn't do shit

HOLD UP HOLD UP HOLD UP

you saw moot? i thought he was in Japan

>Jordan Peterson/Joe Rogan
lmao are these suppose to be your main political bogeymen?
a guy who tells young men to not fuck up and a dudeweedlmao hippie?

he is just lazy LARPing so he wouldn't actually know that

>Literally spend a month letting my grades go to shit and doing nothing but look through Cracking the Coding Interview, doing leetocde, and reading my algorithms and data structures textbook.
>Do well on onsite interview, get paired with team, get hired, move, etc.
based
i live in new york
dont waste your time here
everyone here wants to got california.

It's not like I work with him every day. You can get free food in a foreign office even if you're on paid time off so a lot of ppl who don't work here end up coming through sometime

OP is 30 something considered old man status? Seems like they would prefer fresh faces straight outta college. If I went back to school to learn this coding shit, would it be pointless at an older age like that?

They're both right wing "intellectuals". This guy is a big fan. If we really weren't accepting of conservatives he'd be fired but instead he gets to loud talk every lunch about how that one dude shouldn't have been fired lol

By decent what do you mean? It doesnt have to be ivy league, right?

>based
Will be fapping to this later but honestly no one cares about your gpa after you're hired

>live in ny
See everyone says this same shit about california. I went to NY and chicks were at least 30% hotter. It's all sweaty tech dudes out here don't sandbag me

I'm 27 so at least not thirties. Got not too far out of college tho

>right wing
>Joe Rogan
imagine being this fucking retarded lmao unironicly kill yourself

OP is larping. every site on the internet says google starting comp is $120k-$200k, average closer to the bottom of that range.
also there's 100k employees at google, the chances of him running into moot are less than 5%. also the "/b/" comment is inaccurate according to other reports of damore.

Just look up the top 15 in CS and the top 15 overall. Choose one of those if you can, otherwise you have to make a bigger effort and IDK about that

He's my friend's PM and nobody on the team is really aware of him being moot, doesn't like people bringing it up.

Most of these are straight-laced kids who have never had a job. I've got a more niche technical specialty so I'm worth more. Hate on it lol

You think Joe Rogan isn't right wing? He's basically mainstream alex jones

dude just stop this LARP is getting so pathetic even I am embarrassed for you now

Greetings OP, trying to get into programming here. Im an absolute beginner and to give you an idea, the best I could code is a fake windows pop up error message.

Where should I start in learning C# or HTML, what are some fundementals I need to learn?

What specific branch of discrete mathematics do you think is very involved in coding?

Which courses might help me learn the skills I need to develop softwares, something like a video game?

How difficult is the learning curve there?

Thanks in advance for answering OP, im stuck in an indecisive situation rn.

>the world doesn't revolve around your political ideology no matter what it is
dude if I wear a red hat in my twitter profile pic I could have the skills and resume of a thousand hackers and nobody at FAANG would touch me with a ten foot pole

>They're both right wing "intellectuals"
no they're not
go ahead post one source that shows they're right wing
you are in THE leftist echo chamber so please stfu about politics and carry on with the google stuff.

Do you have to be smart to be successful in this field? After a few years into undergrad I've realized the scope of my abilities is just copypasting/rote memorization, can't really come up with solutions on my own or think critically

I just saw him in a cafe line and didn't say shit to him so IDK anything about his actual position.

We have internal message boards and some people have called for him to monitor or shit like that but he hasn't done anything which is why I feel like he's basically a trophy hire that doesn't do shit. If he leaned into his past he could be 2-3 levels above where he is

>these are straight-laced kids who have never had a job. I've got a more niche technical specialty

vs
>got hired out of college

you can't keep your own shit straight

you said you didn't even have a github. no one out of college has special skills. that requires years of experience.
This is the least believable larp I've seen in awhile on Jow Forums

Not OP. Is it really that unbelievable for someone on Jow Forums to have a friend working in the Google Japan office?

>free speech is right wing

Guys I got busted trying to fly my drone over the are 51 Gate and it got shot down check out the video in my blog It’s under exposed video.... here’s the link to it 727828.blogspot.com/2019/08/blog-post_4.html?m=1

Attached: 3CFE4C15-7B0C-4655-B4C7-A5B71E36743E.jpg (1280x720, 267K)

You seem like you're really starting out lol. No one has programmed straight HTML for like a decade. If you want to learn about the web learn JS and some framework.

C# is bullshit since it's all windows.

If you're really starting out just do the MIT opencourseware for intro programming or similar

>what branch
CS theory but you won't get that in HS. Look through algorithms and data structures when it's time

>video game
That's the worst possible place to be a programmer these days. You will make literally half as much money while working literally double the time. Not worth it.

>learning curve
Hard, but the more you program the easier it is. Make sure you make at least one usable program before you go to college and you'll be fine.

>I want to fap to my political ideology and pretend I don't have it at the same time
Just be fucking casual lol? Why do all you redhats have to revolve your lives around politics? Just keep fucking quiet and do your work like a man.

You do not have to be smart whatsoever. That said, you do have to be hardworking. Literally all you have to do is the prep I detailed above, but that's like a month's worth of fairly hard work that 99% of people apparently aren't willing to put in

Congrats user, you've made it. What advice would you have for those of us with less than stellar motivation/prone to burnout/etc.?

OK fine we're talking cryptography. 99% of colleges do not offer a background whatsoever in crypto and I have it whereas 99% don't so I'm pulling down extra cash. This also answers
. Eat your heart out you jealous assholes. Can you tell me how to find a differentiation on CBC padding based on protocol differences, along with what the implied vulnerability and fix? Of course not, so stay making nothing. I went to a top-10 school and studied a niche subject and you didn't--suck my dick

It's all a game. Just maintain a decent GPA and then grind the relevant interview stuff. It's all about appeareances rather than smarts, although the smarter you are the less time you have to fuck with interview prep

Thanks user, ill keep that in mind.

>CS theory.
Still haven't encountered that in HS, not even sure if some maths that I learned over there can carry over here. I might miss out some that actually carry, so correct me if im wrong.

>being a programmer in video games is not worth it.
Dayum this one hits hard for some reason.

good, let it all out
now tell us how much you spend on the other two necessities of life.

Thanks user, hope you enjoy your time in the Bay Area. I'll probably have to take a Masters or above, as:
1. From a third world shithole
2. Period of "depression" fucked up my GPA.
Just curious, how long have you been on Jow Forums? Been here since 2011 but haven't benefited here as far as you have.

>not encountered in HS
It's not in your curriculum. Check out the latest version of as well as . Even if you don't get it making a legit effort to go through those will put you ahead of 99% of applicants no joke.

>being in video games is not worth it = sad
plz do not go into this industry. It's a big pyramid scheme and the only people who make any money are the publishers who are all sales douches. Just do normal programming and make a way better salary, get established, and then make your own game in your 30s when you know how to program for real and can also make a business

>working for google
I'm sure you were devastated in 2016 like all googlers and are working your hardest to game the search results etc so that Trump doesn't win a second term

>not encountered in HS
It's not in your curriculum. Check out the latest version of as well as . Even if you don't get it making a legit effort to go through those will put you ahead of 99% of applicants no joke.

>being in video games is not worth it = sad
plz do not go into this industry. It's a big pyramid scheme and the only people who make any money are the publishers who are all sales douches. Just do normal programming and make a way better salary, get established, and then make your own game in your 30s when you know how to program for real and can also make a business

>taking crypto 101 is being a specialist
sad

Not even sure what you mean about other necessities? Afaik rent is the biggest expense generally

If you're from the third world then doing a master's in the US is definitely crucial. Also don't do any drugs or fuck around in general while here because they're getting super serious about immigration.

>How long have you been on Jow Forums
Since '08. Jow Forums has been shit since chanology though so I still missed the golden days. Don't believe it? Habeeb it

No one cares and no one is rigging shit. It's our money printing machine and it will never get changed. Trump making up bullshit and your search bringing up reality doesn't make us biased lol. Leadership is already bending over backwards to suck right wing dick with campaign donations etc.

>no one is rigging shit.
but they are
how clueless are you? lmfao

This is kinda true, but almost none of the people I've talked to here even have the slightest idea of what's going on in cryptography.

Just check out , , and . Do all of these including the exercises and you will be able to get a great job with very little experience lol.