en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_image_software
>2019
>no Linux or open-source alternative for Alcohol 120%, a Windows program that comes bundled with adware

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (904x864, 84K)

t. person who has never used linux

...what?

Alcohol 120 basically mounts and burns discs right? There are tons of alternatives that do this on Linux.

Retarded frog poster.

No, dd is not viable alternative for a program that can make accurate images of copy-protected CDs so they can be reproducet accurately later or mounted in virtual drive.

based, anyone with even half an iq point knows dd is crap

t. person who never used linux

That's literally what dd does.

/thread

dd does not remove copy protection retards.

dd and mount are your friends, wintoddler

You have been visited by the Laura of mediocre threads.

This thread is about to die with only 10 replies. OP, hopefully you got what you desired out of it and that it wasn't a total loss.

Attached: Laura.png (130x210, 55K)

when i switched to linux some 15 ish years ago, a replacement for alcohol 120% was one of the first things i looked for
cdrdao does the job, it can copy things like securom cds and playstation cds just fine
if you also need a cd drive emulator (not just mounting an iso9660 image, but support for cd-specific features like audio tracks and copy protection support as well), there's cdemu

i'm and can tell you, dd and mount are ok for /dvd/s, but not cds, they don't work the same way
dd and mount are only good for plain single-track, single-session, no copy-protection cd-roms, and nothing else
good luck copying a mixed-mode cd, playstation cd, or protected cd using those tools
dvd's were designed for data from the beginning, and only have one method of storing data on them, they work more like a hard drive, just a plain block device, nothing special at all, so anything that can read a block device can make a perfect dvd image

oh yea, cdemu also supports lots of image formats, so if you need to burn or convert something weird, you can mount it with cdemu, then rip/burn from the emulated drive

why you want a program with adware for linux?

Attached: drool.png (669x514, 25K)

>year 2016 + more than 2 but less than 4 years of our Lord gaben
>CDs

read the first post i made, these are tools i found ~15 years ago, ripping pc games off cds and burning games for use on my playstation were not unusual things to do
i haven't burned a cd in some time, but it's what op's asking for

Linux still can't remove certain types of DRM, play some old DVD formats (because the programs/extensions that used to it have been abandoned for over 15 years now) or play Blu-Ray discs. It's bizarre how bad it is at physical media even though its users are all about avoiding streaming services.

Copy protection does not exist. In the lowest level, data is just bits. Copy protection is implemented on a higher abstraction level, which you by definition are bypassing when you perform a bit-by-bit operation. You're quite the retard.

I'm not sure what you complain about.
GNU/Linux can mount images natively.

copying certain kinds of copy-protected cd's won't preserve the protection when using tools not made for copying cd's like dd
dd will only copy the user part of each sector (2048/2352 bytes), so anything that uses information outside of that area won't work, some other kinds of protections use blocks with deliberately-bad sector CRCs, which are repaired or regenerated by naive programs, which also breaks the protection system
please don't make assumptions about things you're not familiar with

>dd will only copy the user part of each sector (2048/2352 bytes)
This is wrong twice, and it is also mistaken a third time on something it implies.

the implication that all user sectors are 2048 bytes is inaccurate, only MODE1 is 2048 bytes
that said, dd does still only copy the user portion of each sector, dd is designed for block devices, not cd's, so it will only copy the part of a cd which works like a block device, namely the user parts of cd-roms

pic related, a random cd i know has copy protection. the dd image is the whole game, but will require a no-cd crack to work. the raw image made with cdrdao does not require a crack

Attached: 2019-08-10-002515_586x75_scrot.png (586x75, 9K)

>cdrdao
Thanks, I will try this out.

np, it also burns images, but it doesn't do drive emulation like alcohol does, use cdemu for that
it uses it's own ".toc" format for table of contents data, you can convert that to .cue if you need to with toc2cue (comes with cdrdao usually)

Linux has good software that Windows doesn't and vice versa. I literally don't see how this is a big deal, you have VMs or Wine for exactly that.

>what is cdemu/wincdemu

he said in (which presumably is op) that he wants something to copy discs with
neither cdemu nor wincdemu can be used to copy cds
also, wincdemu is only for windows, and there's no connection between cdemu and wincdemu (when i first heard of wincdemu, i thought it was a windows version of cdemu as well, but it's not, i found out pretty quickly since it doesn't support as many formats as cdemu)