This is npm’s “Guys jar”

blog.npmjs.org/post/120475872425/this-is-npms-guys-jar-we-didnt-invent-the

This is npm’s “Guys jar”.

We didn’t invent the idea, though I’m not sure where we first heard about it. But the idea is: if you believe that using the word “guys” to describe a mixed-gender group of individuals is creeping sexism, and are trying to eliminate that word from your casual use, you put a dollar in the jar every time you do it accidentally.

At npm participation in the Guys Jar is totally voluntary, but a lot of us do it, and we tend to put a dollar in whenever we accidentally gender something gender-neutral or misgender somebody. When we cross $50, we donate the money to a charity. That happened for the first time today, when we gave $55 to Girls Who Code. We’ll probably switch up who we donate to every time.

(How did it hit $55? Well, I was at JSConf last week and committed a number of Guys violations, so I put $20 in the jar when I got back)

JUNE 1, 2015 (3:31 PM)
@SELDO
42 NOTES
#GIRLS WHO CODE
#GUYS JAR
#SEXISM

Attached: Capture.png (717x781, 1011K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_37#_diagnosticstagdeprecated
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why would you be surprised that anything connected to javascript is like this

wow some guy (oops here's a dollar!) has a retarded hobby. Who cares? This isn't technology.

These people never had a mixed-gender group of friends? I did in high school and we used 'guys' as a endearing greeting all the time both the boys and the girls. The use as 'guys' in referring to mixed groups has be common for a long time.

This.

A good, decent, worthwhile thread died because if this.

>Virtue signaling out the ass
Nothing interesting move on

Imagine having to work with these people.

imagine being a faggot or a woman

holy fuck they live in a princessland world

>90 day supply of dark chocolate eat in one sitting

Shut up you fat puff. Know this, that your seed will die and your family name will cease to exist from this world.

If you are unlucky enough to webdev, use the superior yarn. No wonder npm has gone to shit.

Singular means male, plural is gender neutral. What's the issue?

People just have nothing better to do, I suppose.

>marketing chocolate as medicine

do americans really

It's just a joke user

> totally voluntary sexism
> pays up to support it
so.. sexism towards men is acceptable in your country? lmao. how fucking spineless are you faggots? you need to stop this shit or sue these faggots for discrimination instead of being a BETA KEK. grow a pair of testicles, you weak cunt.

>Paying indulgences to the Church of Equality to avoid be excommunicated by it's believers
Why is tech reviving practices from the literal Dark Ages?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

Its funny because somewhere its probably real. And its funnier because its on Jow Forums a website famous for a Guy Fawks mask, who is actually the source of the word Guy as a term to refer to someone. Originally in negative, but like the word bad in the 1980s it came to be positive and stuck.

And like the 1980s I've been calling everyone dude anyway. Because its gender neutral? Only in the sense that I probably don't care enough to assess and guess what gender a person is, not out of politeness but out of an inability to give two shits.

God this world we live in makes me sick. How did it come to this? Why am I being censored of saying certain words?
The sexist part here is that the entire donation box goes to a fucking WOMAN CODING ORGANIZATION. but because they're "female" it doesn't count as sexist.
Fuck this world.

Attached: 1468948457852.jpg (500x378, 56K)

No, it still depends on context, e.g.:
>"I hang out with just guys"
>"The party is full of guys"

It's one of those cringey expressions americans use. that immediately makes me think they are youtube vloggers.

>that immediately makes me think they are youtube vloggers.
That's a ridiculously dumb assumption. The only time I've ever been questioned using "guys" as a gender neutral plural was my first day of uni when I said "thanks, guys" to the two women working the office

I rememeber how my parents did something similiar: a "macho" jar.
Everytime i said something that somehow wasn't "ok" (by retarded standards which i have long since forgotten), they gave me a coin to put in the jar. I had no concept of money or value back then, and it was all a meaningless game to me.

It was all quite pointless and accomplished nothing, really.

How left wing are they?

/s

Attached: privchk.jpg (400x400, 121K)

Just got back from the dogtor.
>this thread gave me ass cancer

Why do these people exist?
I hate violence. I want to be nice, but these kind of people make me wish they were rounded up into camps.
Is this how fascism is created?

When I was a wagie a female manager wrote this long ass memo telling people to stop saying "guys" to customers, wasn't even a SJW thing this was a motel in the US south.

Why do women get worked up over stupid inconsequential bullshit I really don't understand

I know some sensitive trannies irl that I've known since childhood so instead of chancing gender slips I say "hey niggers" or
"whats up niggers." I believe this kind of social activism is going to make the world a better place.

Attached: 1565275932613.jpg (1732x1200, 1.48M)

As a foreigner to me it always seemed like the singular form of guy is masculine whereas the plural form guys is neutral and can be used to refer to a group of people regardless of their gender and that's what movies, series, and music have also been always confirming, am I guilty of sexism for that?

How much do you need to tithe for peeing while standing up?

>Why do women get worked up over stupid inconsequential bullshit I really don't understand
Trying to justify their position when they have no skills.

>2015

>still relevant today
code.visualstudio.com/updates/v1_37#_diagnosticstagdeprecated