New Desktop Threader - /DTG/ Exposed Hidden Panels Edition

because the last one is two posts from dead

P O S T
'E M
B O Y S

also display whatever panels / docks / launchers you may have set to autohide

Attached: dsktpthrdrfrns.png (1920x1080, 431K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poolside.fm/
jurassicsystems.com/
youtube.com/channel/UCy2HnM96oG65QAIcn1Tdnow/videos
warosu.org/g/thread/49855608
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first

what are the icons on the right side ?

hey

Attached: 2019-08-09-07:46:59.png (1366x768, 816K)

Why unstable?

openbox's windowmaker applet dock containing the following from top to bottom:
wmifs (network interface monitor)
wmmon (system resources monitor)
wmweather (weather information)
wmmoonclock (moon phase display)
wmsun (sunrise and sunset display)
wmdrawer (an application launcher drawer)
wmcalc (a calculator)

hello fren :^) NixOS Unstable. risky fugn business yo.

where is your desktopper?

still not sure if bottom or top is better for the status bar

I like rolling release plus sway and wayland work beter on the unstable channel

Attached: 2019-08-07-12:55:17.png (2390x768, 1.49M)

I haven't used Nix for a long time, but I know that you can mix packages from stable and unstable, so it's not very practical to move your whole system to unstable.

you can do it with nix using the adhoc way as in installing things with nix-env
but I have not seen a way to do it in the nixos config, I'd love to do it but I scouered all the docs and have not see it. It seems that the config itself can only follow one channel, the one names nixos.
I'd do it with the ad hoc way but I want to have one config describing my system.
Also nixos-unstable is not the real unstable branch, nixpkgs-unstable is. nixos-unstable is like 2 weeks behind just in case issues arise

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs;
[ unstable.vim ]

I think this should work.

What bar do you use?

>tfw moved to sway but ranger file preview doesn't work with wayland termite

Attached: tumblr_inline_odj94iH5MZ1sqcz0r_540.png (540x270, 52K)

Attached: screenFetch-2019-08-09_04-11-44.png (1366x768, 649K)

i3blocks on the default swaya bar
the status commands are shell scripts I either stole and modified or ones i wrote myself

yeah so far it only works perfectly on kitty wayland
you have to have preview_method kitty in rc.conf

renamed the channels to nixos and unstable and added unstable.vim and here is the error is showed
It doesnt seem to recognize other channels. I tried this before

Attached: 2019-08-09-10:33:43-516x115.png (516x115, 46K)

holla @ 2 core crew

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-09_05-38-11.png (1400x1050, 1.14M)

inheriting an old desktop soon with a core 2. can't wait to slap slackware on that shit and turn it into a rock solid 24/7 icecast server.

Attached: Screenshot_59.png (1920x1080, 3.32M)

yo

Attached: desk.png (1366x768, 1.22M)

first

Attached: desktop.png (1366x768, 397K)

Attached: 2019-08-08-220603_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 527K)

I don't really come here, so please be patient, but:

What kind of rice can you guys recommend me to make XFCE look like this new hip 90's aesthetic?

poolside.fm/
jurassicsystems.com/

Attached: Poolside_FM_screenshot_A.0.png.jpg (1200x800, 345K)

Attached: 2019-08-08-010018_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

>using discord

Attached: bgafzdgcz_largest.jpg (1500x1505, 243K)

who cares about privacy

>pic
greta thunberg?

you can get something similar to your pic related with a tweaked macos 9 theme like platinum and old mac os fonts/icons.
For the second link look for an irix theme, someone used to post one regularly itt check the archives

Attached: 2019-08-09-1420.png (1600x900, 512K)

nome

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-09 20-27-45.png (1920x1080, 1.14M)

bros whats a good, rice compatible music player got xfce
I need to make some panties drop

mpd + ncmpcpp all the way brother
maybe add mpDris2 for the notification

Attached: 2019-08-09-14:54:31.png (2390x768, 964K)

Who's bringing the kitchen sink?

Attached: 52353462633.png (1920x1080, 3.49M)

Off work today, boys. Think I might stay at home instead of going hiking.

Attached: 2019-08-09-085955_6400x1440_scrot.png (6400x1440, 1.03M)

hey jordan
do you have any hurd rice saved

I've never even used Hurd outside installing it in a vm and saying, "huh how'bout that"

just stay home and watch anime and hentai

Attached: devillishpepe.jpg (500x500, 144K)

same

anime is gay

That'll work. I icecast all day on a win7 Dell optiplex 755
Yo

Attached: 1565299730934.png (1400x1050, 340K)

very classy/epic pape

Here's your shitpost retard

Attached: 892019.png (1366x768, 453K)

I miss the REAL patrick

Attached: 438E937F-DF8E-42B1-B867-C909527241A3.jpg (1920x1080, 307K)

shalom, ma nishma?

Attached: Untitled.png (3840x2160, 2.04M)

beautiful. Mind if you share your configuration?

Which distro do you use for sway? Brainlet here, I can't make it work without problems

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

Literally what is this thread besides numales/autists jerkng themselves off how their PC looks. Nigga just use the damn thing, and now it's incorporating wintoddlers which is even more retarded

people who use windows have real jobs

I recently switched to Arch and I'm using KDE. I unironically keep thinking I'm using Windows sometimes. Like I was just thinking I was finna do a little ricing and went to go see which build of Windows I was running before going to deviantart only to realize I'm not even using Windows lol

Why is this pape so popular? I keep seeing it everywhere?

>lxqt with wmaker dongles
neat, look nice

looks nice, but I prefer a blue/green colourscheme reminiscent of Win9x/2k rather than burnt orange. Feel like it would be hard on the eyes after a while.

>desktop for ants
at least your fonts look kinda OK I guess, again with the oranges in the background

Patrician resolution and background, interesting panel setup and nice wm theme mimicking wmaker, but with the buttons on one side. nice/10

>all those desktop icons
>some meme version of windows media player
gross

nice, but why isn't ufetch in your $PATH?

hi kori. nice window buttons, very classic.

a little too clean, to the point of the terminal text being unreadable. otherwise nice.

nice looking Xfce setup, although I don't really like the window buttons, maybe trim the text on them more so it doesn't look so cramped?

nice looking gnome with macos wallpaper, the devs would be proud but probably shank you for installing extensions to change their vision.

I don't think you need window decorations especially if this tiling which it looks like it is. also I prefer cava to the ncmpcpp visualizer, works with other programs like cmus, youtube, etc.

nice icons, but i don't like the desktop icons

seems kinda cramped with dual panels on this screen

>mx linux
>picking a distro based on it's popularity on distrowatch and not it's merits
looks fine but with the screenshot in the browser makes it look a lot worse. would probably be ok without it.

nice light theme for wangblows, but do you really need a recycle bin on your desktop at all times?

ok for wangblows, but the light titlebars on dark applications look weird especially when the browser is seamless.

lewd windows

Attached: neon desktop.png (3640x1920, 1.26M)

!כל בסדר אחי. שבת שלום

can i have your color palette user?

what's that chat thingy called?

Nice try (((FBI)))

Attached: Untitledd.png (131x37, 3K)

go back

Hit me up if you're at defcon
Also shoutout to cock.li for hosting the best party

Attached: 20190804130150_1440x900_scrot.png (1440x900, 447K)

based OBSD user

only thing missing is utf8 support in mg for me

uwu

Attached: screenshot.png (1920x1080, 1.89M)

it's just a colorscheme generated by pywal from pic ralated (had to have its quality reduced because size limits on Jow Forums)
foreground #dddbd1
background #0f0403
cursor #dddbd1

color0 #0f0403
color8 #9a9992
color1 #8F857B
color9 #8F857B
color2 #9D9388
color10 #9D9388
color3 #A3998D
color11 #A3998D
color4 #B0A799
color12 #B0A799
color5 #BCB5A4
color13 #BCB5A4
color6 #C2BCAA
color14 #C2BCAA
color7 #dddbd1
color15 #dddbd1

Attached: ninjasontree.jpg (1920x1078, 718K)

blue/green colourscheme eh?
is this more your style?

Attached: 2019-08-09-22:02:25.png (1366x768, 225K)

Nice trips. Good to see another local Jow Forumsentlemen. Tel Aviv?

Attached: shot.png (1440x900, 760K)

not a huge fan of the yellow/pale orange, but don't make your desktop suit my preferences. if you like it that way don't let me or anyone else tell you to change. You do you.

Attached: 1388814625411.png (600x620, 348K)

I won't, I can't stand having the same color palette for over a day, I have it change constantly with pywal and then some with other really small sed scripts

Attached: henlobird.png (499x409, 322K)

ah see I'm different. Although I constantly swap distros, DEs, wms, etc, I usually stick to two or three different colour schemes. For a long time I just used zenburn everything, but I'm trying out a more Material Design type look with a light terminal theme. The one that wal gives me (base16-materialer -l) makes text all blue so I'm using the default colorscheme from the theme Materia KDE and made Jow Forums Oneechan match it more or less. Trying to get out of the habit of nuking my install every couple days, although I've got the restoration process down to a science now.

discord

Fuck it I'm going back to the professional style desktop

Discord client, Ripcord

This.

With Linux, you can share your rice by linking a repo, simple as that. We like to help each other.
With Windos and Mac, the users never share much with others, and I think the issue is compounded by the thread culture.
The thread will get users who have done next to nothing; the only thing they have done is install neofetch.
Literally.
The only customization they have done is to run neofetch.
Can they really want accolades for installing a new distro? They see the ability to run neofetch as 'fitting in'?
People who haven't riced anything don't need to enter the thread, why are they so desperate for validation? Is neofetch REALLY that important to display? WHy don't they acquire the skills needed to script their own system information display?
All these questions, and more, left lingering until next thread!

Attached: 1563241893176.jpg (2558x1662, 2.7M)

most of us _do_ have our own infos scripts but neofetch is the standard so people can quickly find what they're looking for

Attached: 2019-08-09-164915_1122x806_scrot.png (1122x806, 205K)

youtube.com/channel/UCy2HnM96oG65QAIcn1Tdnow/videos

Attached: 1460657455763.png (417x173, 31K)

thanks a bunch user.

USA. I did live in the gush for a year (and would spend weekends in both tel aviv and jerusalem). Have some cousins in armon hanatziv as well, and spent a few summers with them when I was younger.

what the fuck

OP here. Several people in this thread have riced thoroughly. While I don't rice as heavily as them, I did modify my qt theme pretty heavily to match the numix gtk and openbox themes I'm using, and created custom color palettes for both qterminal and xterm. I don't do severe ricing because I like a relatively conventional setup, as I depend on lignux for numerous work projects. I'm sure other people take a similar approach for similar reasons. Further, I actually do maintain a system info utility which has a decent amount of users, and of-course this thread is a circle jerk. Every desktop thread has always been a circle jerk. It's a Jow Forums tradition. You must be new here. No one's desperate for validation. Some of us just enjoy checking out other people's setups, sharing info when asked, and so on. Relax.

dont pretend to be a desktop thread oldfag lol

What are you guys using to back up all of your old files?

I'm super paranoid about my hard drives dying and then losing a decades worth of saved pictures and documents.

I am unfortunately a boomer by Jow Forums standards. I was lurking here before you could read, maybe. I don't know. I'd guesstimate that I'm 10 years older than the average user on Jow Forums.

fs-archiver full partition compressed backups monthly + rsync root filesystem backups bimonthly + deja dup home directory backups weekly. It's great.

tru desktop thread oldfag here, this is the oldest scrot of a desktop thread I still have but I was here even longer.

Attached: 2008 awesome v2 dat hooge 05_55.png (2560x1024, 402K)

>jordan@nigger
lel

If I don't rice a full month would my addiction disappear?

only achieving the perfect rice, or losing the desire to improve will.
For me, default desktops are close enough to usable that they only need basic changes so ricing isn't something I do very often any more.

yep and ur a millionaire too i bet

actually yes. do you have a gofuckme page that needs some donations or something? glad to help.

nothing fancy, really. custom userChrome for firefox, arc color plasma theme, icons-only task manager and digital clock lite. I can paste the userChrome if you want me to.

Attached: gradient.png (1920x1080, 443K)

That's it, really.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-10_01-42-57.png (1366x768, 20K)

There are many reasons why Slackware is Linux’s oldest living distribution. It does not try to emulate Windows, it tries to be as Unix-like as possible. It does not try
to cover up processes with fancy, point-and-click GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces). Instead, it puts users in control by letting them see exactly what’s going on. Its
development is not rushed to meet deadlines-each version comes out when it is ready. Slackware is for people who enjoy learning and tweaking their system to do exactly what they want. Slackware’s stability and simplicity are why people will continue to use it for years to come. Slackware currently enjoys a reputation as a solid server and a no-nonsense workstation. You can find Slackware desktops running nearly any window manager or desktop environment, or none at all. Slackware servers power businesses, acting in every capacity that a server can be used in. Slackware users are among the most satisfied Linux users.

From the Slackware Linux Essentials book, indeed. And do these thoughts mirror your own on the distribution?

>drive up to bank
>tube is there
>press call button
>excuse me but this system is easy can please make it more intimidating? harder to use on purpose? here I already found a way to do it, please press the receive button
>put items in the vacuum without the tube
>lady cannot see and presses button
>they clog up everything
>"What the fuck sir you just fucked everything"
>LOL USER ERROR. U CULDNT DO IT RITE BECAUSE UR NOT HARDC0RE ENOUGH BITCH. IF U PRESSED THE BUTTON EVERY 3/15ths OF A SECOND IT WOULDA WORKED
>drive away

THAT is what using Slackware is like

lol at these two guys. slackware's still a great distro though. was the first i ever got working nicely on bare metal in '03 / '04. stable as fuck, and offers the user a level of control over their system that a lot of popular distros these days do not. package management is also nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, especially with shit like slapt-get and the USM.

god, I thought that was a real desktop
it's so god damn good

[poem]
doopdoopdoopitydoo
wieners wieners i like wieners
install a gentoo in my butt
[/poem]

Attached: 1561111568443.png (1366x768, 62K)

Seriously, do you have an original post in you which isn't a screenshot?

warosu.org/g/thread/49855608

Yes, thanks for the original contribution. Agreed.

Extremely new, what program is it that everyone has in the terminal in their screencaps like in yours?

neofetch, screenfetch or ufetch