/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed) (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed) (embed)

Attached: ce17e10dbb12295bde337cda9e6e8a74.jpg (1920x1200, 322K)

Other urls found in this thread:

win-raid.com/t4883f52-Solution-Win-drivers-for-USB-Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html#msg81151
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows Embedded POSReady/
github.com/corna/me_cleaner
github.com/namazso/SecureUxTheme
github.com/microsoft/terminal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't believe Nanami-chan has resorted to this in order to keep her market share.

what's with optimise offline doing this?

D:\w10\Optimize-Offline-master\Optimize-Offline.ps1 : Could not find a part of the path 'D:\w10\Optimize-Offline-master
\OptimizeOfflineTemp_850652054\en_windows_10_business_edition_version_1903_updated_june_2019_x64_dvd_1f290297\sources\r
eplacementmanifests\microsoft-windows-appx-deployment-server\microsoft.windows.secondarytileexperience_10.0.0.0_neutral
__cw5n1h2txyewy.xml'.
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Optimize-Offline.ps1

It didn't happen with the LTSC iso, i'm guessing i have a bad enterprise iso?

Please help, I'm too retarded to use optimize offline

path too long

update your powershell

How can I lock certain folder / partition without using third party bs

probably but do you really need to go thru all of it?
just download clean LTSC and install it, its already good and clean enough as it is, and you will probably be able to make custom iso on ltsc without any problem
if you'd still want to make it

I can't believe that it worked on me.

I have a retail Windows 7 Ultimate CD/DVD and I can temporarily hook up a DVD drive via SATA . However I can't get it to install on to the NVMe drive. Walk me through the process of getting my time machine operational.

Attached: tmp_15877-IMG_20190613_044441_015934633313824099549.jpg (1440x2560, 615K)

What does "lock" mean in this context? Hide? Encrypt? What do you want to happen when you "lock" your folder/volume?

Put some under password some encrypt and so
t using windows for a month now

>Windows 7
>NVMe
Since Windows 7 predates NVMe by several years, you'll need to find drivers, extract them onto a UFD (or whatever), and load them during the partitioning phase. Then your SSD will appear and everyone can get on with their lives. How exactly this is done depends entirely on what motherboard (or, albeit highly unlikely, PCIe->NVMe bridge card) you have.

Then look into BitLocker. It's not exactly what you're looking for (for example, it doesn't use passwords in the sense that most people think of them), but it does come with Windows.

I want a simple password when someone doubleclicks partition / folder
thats too much for winblows i guess

It's too much for Linux, too.
Do you really think it comes with JIT password accessible folders OOTB?
Of course not, you have to install something. Now shoo troll - but shame on me for biting what was (in retrospect) obvious bait: your utter inability to spell or use punctuation should scream "will never, ever have a job".

i don't get these custom 'builds' of win10, wouldn't doing a windows update just reinstall everything?

I have ryzen 3600 and i've read that windows 10 1903 have scheduler update that gives a lot of performance for CPUs with multiple CCX, and apparently ryzen 3600 have 2 CCX but i use 1809 LTSC, is there a way to update scheduler? or is it even that huge of a performance boost as some people claim?

The Windows update stack is a way, way smarter and more complicated (read: overengineered) beast than you - or even I - can imagine.
While it is happy to put files on your hard disk for inbox shit you may have deleted, all your registry entries, startup programs, etc. that actually make them work aren't changed by a simple update.

>i've read that windows 10 1903 have scheduler update that gives a lot of performance for CPUs with multiple CCX
>is it even that huge of a performance boost as some people claim?
Good that you asked user, because it's a lie. Around a 2% improvement is the accepted figure.

i dont even watch anime or hentai or cartoons but god damn i had to jerk off to that, just couldnt help it

I use 3600 and LTSC and on auto oc top 97% of above mentioned cpu

You could always start now. It's fun and often meant for a smart audience like yourself.

Um... are you certain you replied to the right post, user?

Tangentially related, but your USB 3.0 ports won't work on the latest chipsets like Z390 because there are no USB 3.0 xHCI drivers.
I don't know about the situation on AMD, but on Intel you can hex edit the last driver release to replace a device ID. Someone already did that:
win-raid.com/t4883f52-Solution-Win-drivers-for-USB-Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html#msg81151
You can compare the modified iusb3xhc.sys to the official 5.0.4.43 driver release to verify that it's virus free.
If you don't want to install someone else's certificate, it's not difficult use the WDK to test-sign the driver yourself.

Thank you, then i'll use LTSC untill next iteration comes out i guess

i want to nakadashi nanami-chan

who doesn't

So I've read on the OP that other than LTSC, Enterprise is the recommended version of Windows 10 because it's cleaner than Pro.
Anyone knows exactly what is cleaner? What do I lose?

Attached: 1257443124014.png (754x1092, 373K)

Going to install Windows 10 on a friend's PC since he was using still using Vista on a 1tb HDD, he just bought a SSD so that'll be good for him. Is there anyway to get 1903 to be put on the delayed update channel where the new big Windows update will only get downloaded on his PC when it's ready for enterprise use? Iirc there was an option to do that in 1809 and earlier versions but I can't find the option in 1903.

Attached: 1474420409375.jpg (600x429, 29K)

you lose nothing. you get a bunch of features you'll almost never use, but also the ability to set telemetry to "Security" level instead of "Basic" (need to do this in gpedit tho)

wet pussy!! :o
as a lesbian my self, I aprove this.

>you lose nothing
Yeah mean the enterprise edition comes full of shit like ads, Candy Crush, Twitter and stuff like that pre-installed?

yea, you can use Oltimize-offline or just use Education (p much same as enterprise) to don't have them

I find it extremely retarded that an Enterprise oriented product comes with Candy Crush pre-installed.

>power shortage
>laptop shuts down because no battery
>try and boot into windows
>blue screen of death, critical process failed
>computer is completely bricked, unusable

I'll have to do a fresh install and I'm definitely not installing windows again

Just right click it and uninstall if it bothers you that much

Oh, hello Anonymous. I didn't see you there.

Attached: 1a32c4da864ec12c300773b6e05b6509.jpg (431x654, 59K)

what do you think it should've done? generate free electricity amd shut down?

Nanami-chan and Windows 7 look the best

Reminder that Enterprise will not update releases through Windows update by default, you will only get non-release updates.
If you want to update versions you either need to set up a WSUS server or install through other means (iso update, upgrade utility, etc.)
I'm sure the paranoid and luddites see this as a benefit rather than an annoyance though.

>electrical short on a laptop that doesn't even have a battery
>software shows critical fault afterwards
>jump to the conclusion that it must be the software at fault
How do you know your shit just isn't broken? You're not supposed to have sudden halts on most desktop operating systems anyway.

Non-LTSC Enterprise will get build updates without configuration, they are on the semi-annual channel like all the other editions
They do tend to come later than normal but you do get them

Is it possible to install the new windows terminal on LTSC

I'm never abandoning Nanami-chan.
FUCK MICROSOFT.
FUCK INTEL.
And fuck jannies.

Hi everyone, brief question, where can I find a Windows 7 Embedded POSReady official ISO image?
Now I am downloading one from the-eye.eu:
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows Embedded POSReady/
... but it is terribly slow and the server is quite down now (it gives me error 520 or 524).
Does anyone know of any working link?

Attached: mandatory beautiful asian girl to ask questions nÂș439 - suzuka ishikawa.jpg (999x617, 102K)

what's the best filesystem and allocation size to format to on a w7 system that dualboots to linux

depends on size but either exfat or ntfs

two drives WD greens, one 500GB other 1TB

RIP nanami-tan.info

test test 123 fuck linux

Anyonw have the github link for the Intel backdoor de-poz'er? Can't remember what it's called.

Post the adjusted price. $4k?

cumbrain

SLURP

this?
github.com/corna/me_cleaner

I'd gladly use her again if ya know what I mean.

you lose all the gay ads and other ms bullshit. ltsc is as close to a usable windows system as it gets.
you get security updates all the time and they actually work unlike other windows 10 versions.

I'm talking about release updates, i.e moving from base to 1903. Apparently they're just delayed. I think the most I've waited was over a month before updating manually through WSUS.

>on i7 4770 now
>w7 on sata ssd
>thinking to move to 3700x with nvme ssd
>don't want to install w10
Is there a way to do it? How much annoyance will it be?
I don't mind slightly more difficult install as long as it doesn't happen constantly.

Attached: 1562200203083.png (357x301, 128K)

nanami makes me want to come back to windows

I'd rather come to Windows back if you know what I'm saying.

just install w10 you fucking twat

But I don't want to.

Attached: 1563021007458.jpg (980x995, 123K)

7 is dead in less than a year

posready 7 still good for 2 years

Hello friends

Attached: launcher.png (2560x1440, 2.02M)

Yes ty

kek

hello friend

Attached: screenshot.png (1920x1080, 369K)

Why is Windows 10 AME so comfy bros?

Attached: AMEdesktop.jpg (1366x768, 104K)

>no security updates
it may feel comfy but its not suitable for day-to-day use

I have a gayming laptop and I'm using Topax Gigapixel to enlarge some pictures but it uses the Intel GPU instead of the dedicated NVIDIA one. Is there a way to force the program to use the dedicated GPU?

how do I install KDE on Windows 10

How competent is Windows at detecting system drive errors? Like when it tells you it found issues and wants to correct them after a reboot can that actually just corrupt your drive or is it safe?

check if you can disable integrated in bios

you're a mentally ill tranny, i look forward to your 43 percentage

3700x supports GPU passthrough. I think you could manage to install Windows 7, but it will be literally easier to start a virtual machine and let the W7 VM use real hardware.

Attached: 1537846076211.jpg (565x567, 37K)

least shit browser for windows? i liked qutebrowsers keybindings

it's very safe, assuming it can finish the task. sometimes your disk is beyond repair for some reason and you have to re-install windows. an issue with windows is that it's constantly using DLL files across programs and the DLLs can be corrupted after so many read cycles apparently.

firefox. i used to like edge but it's been buggy and slower than firefox lately

how did you customize it

Is there any hope in making Windows 10 Desktop look good?

Attached: first_attempt.png (2708x1733, 3.97M)

with my own software:
github.com/namazso/SecureUxTheme

Hi
Asking again, how can I lock certain folders or partitions without third party bullshit ( put them under password )

oh thats a sweet wallpaper, share?

Is 1903 usable now?

I've been thinking of moving from LTSC to 1903 EDU/Enterprise.

what do you mean by lock?

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\Users\user\Downloads\Windows

This gives me an error that the iso is not found.
Did the iso file was not found because i forgot to specify it is an iso?

Should it have been
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\Users\thora\Downloads\Windows.iso ?

yes

That is very subjective, user.

As a longtime Linux user I'm kinda positively surprised with the turn MS is taking. Windows Terminal github.com/microsoft/terminal/ is pretty damn good in comparison to their previous terminal emulators.
I wonder if their interest in open source will subside over time, like what happend at Apple.

Yeah, I don't see what should be unusable. I'm on 1903 EDU and everything works flawless.

I was the lad who was getting stonewalled at every step last thread.

Ignore the error message. Just right click the window and let it continue. You'll have to manually enable the Directplay features when you install it, but everything else will work fine.

get 7+ taskbar tweaker to fix the shitty thicc taskbar

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 829K)

Here ya go

Attached: 1564701997103.png (3440x1440, 3.91M)

10 is dead now

you mean no botnet updates

have fun getting ransomwared

>install 7
>dont update
>system works for years
>install 10
>forced updates
>system breaks withing few months
ill take viruses over 10

nice pic op
dont make em like they used to