/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1565365813947.png (2532x2484, 789K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam#Chroot
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html
write.flossmanuals.net/command-line/introduction/
debian.org/doc/manuals/refcard/refcard
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.en.html
guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Features.html#Features
i3wm.org/i3status/manpage.html
github.com/i3/i3status/blob/master/contrib/wrapper.pl
guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/System-Configuration.html
rentry.co/manjaro-controversies
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2019/05/25/pango-future-directions/
github.com/HelpSeeker/Restricted-WebM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

does wine+dxvk work for most modern and older games? is it good enough to finally nuke my wangblows partition?
also does it work well with disc-based games?

Free the Linux kernel.

Attached: gnu-lux.png (500x431, 134K)

friendly reminder that GNU/Linux is a meme that will never beat proper OS

proper OS is a meme that will never beat supercomputer/mega-server Linux

Linux is a kernel.

supercomputers have custom system utilities that are not for mere mortals.

I just installed linux and I'm having insane lags whenever I move something or move my pointer through the taskbar. It's actually lagging without having any processes on.
This always happens whenever, for some reason, it decides to use only cpu 4 and put it to 100%, otherwise when other CPU are at 30% there is no lag at all. Most of the time CPU 4 is constantly at 100% and it's constantly lagging even if there is nothing being run.
Also my spacebar is not working every time I press it.
Anyone help?

Attached: dsf.png (1920x1080, 360K)

>friendly reminder that GNU/Linux is a meme that will never beat proper OS
Friendly reminder whatever 'proper OS' you're talking about will never respect your freedom.

Kernel

For example, now it's ideal and there is no lag at all, I didn't close any processes, it just goes from massive lags to being perfectly smooth.

Attached: ideal.png (1920x1080, 350K)

Freedo visits the thread.

Attached: 613px-Freedo.svg.png (613x599, 71K)

>I just installed linux and I'm having insane lags whenever I move something or move my pointer through the taskbar.
Huh, strange. What's your processor, GPU, amount of RAM, etc? Go to the driver section and check if there's a different GPU driver available.

The year of Hurd.

Linux is stupid. It doesn't even provide BASIC operating system features like thumbnails when uploading pictures. It's funny, because Windows has these basic features for almost 3 decades, yet the Linus doesn't provide them. Ofc a system build by a swedish student lacks these things; the system is made for funx it's a hobby and doesn't care about the user. On the flitside Windows is developed by people literally paged for making it nice for the user. If you want a system that Cates about the user, don't install Linux.

ALOBARAP LLATSNI

>Linux is stupid. It doesn't even provide BASIC operating system features like thumbnails when uploading pictures.
yep, since it's a kernel.

BASIC is a programming language.

Stallman is american, and the system was literally made for users freedoms. The fuck is wrong with you?

Intel i3-6100U 2.30 GHz x 2
Nvidia GTX 950M
7 GB of RAM
I tried using nvidia driver-430 and the Nouveau one and it doesn't change a thing. There are no other drivers to change in driver manager.
I can use Windows 10 perfectly well with absolutely no lags and am able to play games like Overwatch on medium settings on 30-40 fps. So, any clue?

If you have 64-bit non-multilib system does that mean you can't run 32-bit programs or you only can't compile 32-bit programs?

HELO

that's the fun, user.
Making it your own.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1500391456704.jpg (956x813, 147K)

How do I remove this shitty pic from the boot menu of libreboot

can't run them
32-bit programs need 32-bit libraries
you can still run 32-bit programs in a chroot that has 32-bit libraries
like in wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam#Chroot

any good icons like tango & menta that just customize folders and files not app icon?

I'm trying to set up Dosbox to.play a few old games, but I'm havig problens with midi. I've tried fluidsynth, but Dosbox just doesn't use it and timidity uses alsa instead of pulseaudio.
Can someone help me? I'm on Arch btw.

thanks, that's what I was planning on doing but I wasn't sure

show your processes tab on your system monitor

What are some benefits of using linux instead of windows for a home pc used for web browsing? What would be the best distro for web browsing?

Attached: xc.png (1920x1080, 261K)

$ sed '/\n/!G;s/\(.\)\(.*\n\)/&\2\1/;//D;s/.//'

None.

>Linux is stupid.
Linux is just a kernel, GNU/Linux is the system.
>It doesn't even provide BASIC operating system features like thumbnails when uploading pictures.
What? There are many DEs WMs, you must specify which exactly are you talking about and what the fuck is the feature, because it doesn't seem to be a basic feature of an operating system.
>It's funny, because Windows has these basic features for almost 3 decades, yet the Linus doesn't provide them.
It's funny, because Microsoft has billions of dollars available, whereas GNU/Linux is mostly maintained by volunteers and yet the system is usable for a lot of things.
>Ofc a system build by a swedish student lacks these things;
Torvalds made just a kernel.
>On the flitside Windows is developed by people literally paged for making it nice for the user.
In what way nice exactly? gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

>I tried using nvidia driver-430 and the Nouveau one and it doesn't change a thing. There are no other drivers to change in driver manager.
Did you restart the system, after changing the driver?

write.flossmanuals.net/command-line/introduction/

yes. I don't think it's about the GPU, as I said, whenever it goes on a lag spree I usually see that CPU 4 is at 100% and the other 3 cores are at 5-7%.

xdg-open debian.org/doc/manuals/refcard/refcard

>freedom.
The freedom to not install the tools I need because they're not available on Linux, or the freedom to install shitty replacement tools?

wget -qO- commandlinefu.com/commands/random/plaintext | sed '3,4!d'
Prints a random cool command.

Attached: 1367169035818.png (1024x768, 1.25M)

Is the system-monitor taking all the CPU while you have these lags, or is the process causing that invisible? If the process is invisible, this could be a kernel bug, then we could try changing the version of the kernel.

The main benefits would be:
>cost nothing
>will probably run faster
>free software is more ethical than proprietary software
The distro doesn't matter. Jsut go with something that has XFCE or LXDE/LXQt. (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Debian XFCE, Mageia)

GNU/Linux.

>The freedom to not install the tools I need because they're not available on Linux, or the freedom to install shitty replacement tools?
It's not the system's fault, someone making tools you need wasn't kind enough to provide version for an alternative system.

gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.en.html
>specifically, free software means users have the four essential freedoms: (0) to run the program, (1) to study and change the program in source code form, (2) to redistribute exact copies, and (3) to distribute modified versions.

My country doesn't provide X. Meanwhile the other country provides X. Therefore, I have no freedom.
Cope harder.

Stop dual booting.

Attached: 1506460637493.png (608x653, 487K)

Yeah gonna update to the latest one,i'll see what happens.
Currently running 4.15

Is a GPU passthrough worth it? Need something to run my games/other non Linux Software

You need to breath.

>wasn't kind enough to provide version for a system that nobody uses and is only good for running servers
FTFY
>My country doesn't provide X. Meanwhile the other country provides X. Therefore, I live in a shithole.
FTFY

What's the best non sysd distro? Is Devuan my best bet?

It probably is, I saw a video once, where someone were rendering something on Windows on Qemu on GNU/Linux and the performance was pretty good.

What do you mean by this?

Independence from Linux is still 50 years off

the one i'm using

If you're familiar with Debian-based distributions then Devuan is probably what you want, but for me, personally Guix System is the best distribution without systemd. Devuan is usable, but it is a bit outdated (like Debian), thanks to it's stable development cycle and Devuan Beowulf based on Debian 10 isn't yet ready. Guix System is better, because it has a great functional package manager and is a stable rolling-release (thanks to the package manager) guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Features.html#Features
The problem with Guix is it uses Linux-libre as it's kernel, which makes it unusable on most proprietary hardware.

Yeah, I've used Devuan before and noticed this. Kernel is ancient. How's Guix compared to other FSF approved distros, because my experience with trisquel was less than stellar

Low IQ here. Is it possible to display screen brightness in i3bar via i3status? If so, what should I add to the configuration file?

Attached: D4344E64-C116-4ECA-8331-5C28D83F5DA1.png (741x568, 29K)

Depends on the video card, for example I know in the past nvidia has tried to limit passthrough to only certain cards. There were workarounds but I would do research on your specific card beforehand. Wine with dxvk works very well for what I need it for these days with a lot less hassle. If you're willing to put in the time to get it set up though it should be worth it.

from i3wm.org/i3status/manpage.html
>External scripts/programs with i3status
>
>In i3status, we don’t want to implement process management again. Therefore, there is no module to run arbitrary scripts or commands. Instead, you should use your shell

github.com/i3/i3status/blob/master/contrib/wrapper.pl
should be what you are looking for. just modify it to call xbacklight

I was thinking of buying a cheap radeon card since they seem to work out of the box, any recommendations? Also I know wine works pretty well, I just know if I can set up this VM it's pretty much guranteed to work

So uhh I just wanted to get my laptop out of stand-by and when i entered my password into the aether greeter, instead of my desktop I was greeted with a huge ass image of a lock and text that said "this session is locked, you will be redirected to the login screen" and then I had to enter it again.

What "feature" is this exactly?

After reading some controversial shit about Manjaro I want to switch to another distro and uhm.. is there any way to do it without deleting all my shit?

If you have /home on a seperate partition, just make sure it's not marked to be formatted when you re-install. Otherwise, back ups.

>How's Guix compared to other FSF approved distros, because my experience with trisquel was less than stellar
Guix System is probably the best out of them because:
- it is the official GNU distro made by the GNU Project - this attracts developers
- Guix - the package manager is based on Nix - these package managers are probably the best out there, thanks to innovative functional package management. It provides reproducible builds, building from source code, convenient binary substitutes (so you don't have to build every package like with Gentoo).
- the system is highly integrated - you can configure your system in one language - GNU Guile - no need to remember many different configuration languages. The package manager uses Guile, the Shepherd (a process supervisor - replacement for sysVinit) uses Guile, configuration files use Guile guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/System-Configuration.html
- and it is also a fresh, but rapidly developing distribution - the 1.0.0 version was released about two months ago
- Libre distributions are mostly abandoned, almost abandoned or have really small community, they're just forks of Debian, Ubuntu or Arch with nonfree software removed, Guix doesn't remove blobs from Nix - it was entirely hard forked and the community of Guix grows everyday.
- it has high integration level of GNU software, for example you can install emacs packages using Guix, for example: guix install emacs-paredit-mode

what was the hubbub about manjaro?

Dang don't have that. Never will do that mistake gain. Thank you user
rentry.co/manjaro-controversies
Have no idea if any of that shit is true but I'll better be safe I guess

Also forgot this - a Guix developer made a blog post about Guix - it explains a lot, Guix is compared to other distributions.
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

Not really sure of any specific card I'd recommend, but I do think you're safe with AMD in general. You may be better off checking the pc building general for advice on that unless some other user has suggestions.

>rentry.co/manjaro-controversies
Stopped reading at Stability and the Beginner thing.
Holding back the packages has never been a controversy. Some people dont like it, but everyone dislikes something about some distros.
Same with calling manjaro suitable for beginners. That's never ever been a "controversy".

I dunno what that fags issue with manjaro is, but he's certainly butthurt.
Sounds to me like a guy who gets blown out in every discussion he enters, so he decided to make site instead.

I'm fairly new to linux so that kind of shit throws me off lightly

Looks like the CRUX logo tbhfam

Attached: crux.png (256x256, 63K)

Stopped half a decade ago sweetie mmkay

Thanks user, hope I can figure it out

What's the least amount of lag you can get with mpd streaming in your own network? Can live with the few second lag but would be good to lower it if possible.

The whole idea behind Guix is attractive but I need to see it in action. I know at this stage caters more to developers and advanced users but there needs to be more people documenting it for the layman. It sounds good but seeing in normal usage would be great.

What shell functions / scripts have you written /fglt/?

guve me one good resson why I shouldnt dual boot

I wrote a script for managing users. It allows you to delete users, modify user settings, create new users, add users to groups and remove people from groups.

Attached: 1563234877040.png (512x512, 69K)

# Make cbz comic book format from a folder.
alias royo='zip -r "$1".cbz "$1"'

Btw, does this backup alias works for you?
# Not adding a forward slash after "$1" adds that folder inside "$2".
alias resyn='rsync -av --delete "$1" "$2"'

This is a wrapper around tabbed by suckless
#!/bin/bash

current_desktop="$(xprop -root -notype _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP |awk '{ print $3 }')"
[ -d /tmp/tabbed/ ] || mkdir /tmp/tabbed
[ -f /tmp/tabbed/desktop-$current_desktop ] \
&& st -w "$(cat /tmp/tabbed/desktop-$current_desktop)" "$@" \
|| { tabbed -c -r 2 st -w '' "$@" >/tmp/tabbed/desktop-$current_desktop; rm /tmp/tabbed/desktop-$current_desktop; }

This is a function that runs ls -laNh and pipes it into less if it doesn't fit on screen. (it doesn't account for things not fitting because of word wrap)
la () { \
[ $(ls -NAhl "$@" | wc -l) -lt $LINES ] \
&& ls -NAhl --color=always "$@"\
|| { ls -NAhl --color=always "$@"| less -R; }; }

any ideas on improving them?

files that have . in front (such as; .file) what does this mean?

Have something like that too to archive what tachiyomi downloads, just using find and the depth option because fuck doing it one at a time.

they're hidden files
try this:
#create normal file
touch file
#create hidden file
touch .file
#list directory contents
ls
#list directory contents including hidden files
ls -A

The first will only show file, but the second will also show .file

Since everything, including directories, is a file, you can do the same thing with directories (mkdir .directory)

That's a perfectly healthy position to take. And it's probably a good idea to wait a bit. Guix is still under heavy development

and I don't mean that heavy lightly (no pun intended).
Its feature set is constantly changing, and people are still talking about major changes which could be in the works.
It's also still rolling out documentation and they're producing help videos for new users and asking for feedback.

The gears are turning but it's still fairly young.

An FFmpeg wrapper to produce WebMs within strict file size limits, a downloader for coub.com and a very very basic FLIF optimization script.

How the fuck I display the total number of lines on here?

Attached: Capture.png (236x110, 2K)

after an update all japanese characters became like this system-wide
how do i repair this shit

Attached: screenshot_20190809-212738_4480x1440.png (990x781, 397K)

just learn 日本語

freedesktopsoft says you're not allowed to use bitmap fonts anymore
blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2019/05/25/pango-future-directions/
>Using Harfbuzz for font loading means that we will lose support for bitmap and type1 fonts. We think this is an acceptable trade-off, but others might disagree.

try
>fc-cache -fv
>sudo fc-cache -fv
Also, when it was working did it just work out of the box or did you actually install japanese fonts?

fuck freedesktop and fuck gnome
it helped for a bit, now fonts work fine everywhere except for a palemoon

Attached: screenshot_20190809-214303_4480x1440.png (1277x917, 447K)

It says it still supports bitmap-only opentype fonts though.
I suppose that means you could just open any old font with embedded bitmaps, and re-save its bitmaps as a new opentype font.

>freedesktopsoft says you're not allowed to use bitmap fonts anymore

>fuck freedesktop and fuck gnome
this

Are you using Manjaro?

Post wrapper. WebM making sucks when the file size creeps up on you.

Windows is known to fuck with your boot partition

I """""illegally""""" copied a fonts folder from a Windows installation and put it in a .fonts directory on GNU/Linux, will those fonts cease functioning?

Who cares?

Even a super computer needs a Kernel, what is your point?

What you mean? If they already work they work. You can make any font run if the format is supported.

palemoon preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced > Fonts for: Japanese

github.com/HelpSeeker/Restricted-WebM
A Bash version can be found in the bash branch.