/PPG/ PowerPC General - PPC Notebook Edition

Welcome to the PowerPC general! A space to discuss all things POWER ISA related.

SPARC, m68k, PA-RISC, ARM, MIPS, etc. are welcome too!

Reminder:
>>>/global/rules/10
>No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.

Evolution of PowerPC:
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Power_ISA

What's new on the Amigaverse?
acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards

Next-gen G4?
nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/

About Power9:
ibm.com/it-infrastructure/power/power9

Budget-friendly Talos Blackbird:
secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html

Literally when:
powerpc-notebook.org
SOON™
youtube.com/watch?v=qvx9n25mB6s
youtube.com/watch?v=Uf5oq0OTMu4

Attached: 2019-08-09-111855_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

4channel.org/feedback
bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php
cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/xenial/release/lubuntu-16.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/xubuntu-10.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/Fedora-Server-dvd-ppc64-28.torrent
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.10.0/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-8.10.0-powerpc-netinst.iso
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/11128/how-do-i-make-my-1-5-ghz-powerbook-g4-boot-from-a-usb-stick
debian.org/ports/powerpc/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/btltd5/i_would_like_to_thank_all_the_people_working_on/
psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models
wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiToo!
youtube.com/watch?v=42b8bgV014Q
t2sde.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you see any spam, report it here:
4channel.org/feedback

So, the notebook is coming. What would the specs? How do they compare with a Thinkad?

WHY THE FUCK ARE 3D ACCELERATED GRAPHICS STILL NOT WORKING ON G3s WITH THE RADEON 7500 IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2019. JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Attached: DNsXXq9.jpg (400x400, 92K)

>anons bought their G5 quads on Craigslist for 40 dollaroos at a loss
>Feds take down C's List
>the cheapest G5 quad on fleabay is US$900 sans monitor
Fucking collectors inflating prices

>>Feds take down C's List
Craigslist? It's still up

They did take down their "personal" section

fuck off spamnigger

I'm not spamming anything, dumbass

penis pump general because y'all are gay lol

>t. Spamnigger

I give up on stupid nigger PowerPC Loonix. There are so many more active retro computing scenes to get involved in.

What Linux distros do you anons recommend for a G5?

Please, add the following to the next OP:

Operating Systems for PowerPC:
bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php

Gentoo

Thanks, this is really helpful.
I installed Gentoo on it already but I've had a hard time getting some software to run or even compile at all.

Back to your containment board manchild.

Attached: 1539677723548.png (400x1650, 367K)

Literally anything will run on a G5.
These are the most popular:
cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/xenial/release/lubuntu-16.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/xubuntu-10.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents/Fedora-Server-dvd-ppc64-28.torrent
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.10.0/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-8.10.0-powerpc-netinst.iso

Attached: 1565189606859.png (1920x1080, 694K)

Oh nice, what CPU? I've always wanted a Quad-core G5 but they go for ridiculous prices.

then you would boot from OF with something like

boot usb0/disk@1:,tbxi\\

Can a wizard tier PPC fag confirm this?

It's boot usb0/disk@1:,\\tbxi
For OS X anyway
For Linux, Ubuntu for example, you type yaboot instrad of tbxi
See: apple.stackexchange.com/questions/11128/how-do-i-make-my-1-5-ghz-powerbook-g4-boot-from-a-usb-stick

>buster
>powerpc
What the fuck?
Didn't they drop PPC support back on Jessie?

Where's the bot that marks the spamnigger's messages?

Jessie was the last release that supported 32-bit PPC. 64-bit is still going strong
debian.org/ports/powerpc/

It's a quad, PowerPC 970MP, I got very lucky that the liquid cooling didn't have any leaks

Attached: spam.png (984x608, 58K)

Attached: spam.png (589x351, 27K)

Attached: spam.png (602x314, 26K)

It's an unofficial port. However, it is actually well supported.

Attached: spam.png (549x355, 26K)

Attached: spam.png (612x297, 28K)

Oh wow, another PPC general rekt by t.spamnigger. Shocking.

Attached: 36A0E405-9A1C-4C8F-A565-E47855E182F2.jpg (640x616, 96K)

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Attached: 1558849987914.png (500x383, 262K)

Try OpenBSD

Anyone here screw with morph os?
How is it?

Attached: wim1.jpg (1280x1024, 217K)

glowniggers gonna glow

Attached: you didn't listen.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Who /cell/ here?

Attached: cell.png (720x432, 27K)

>tfw I found out OtherOS support had been dropped by buying a PS3 specifically for Linux use

You can re-enable it with a custom firmware. Now with OtherOS++, linux runs as GameOS which means you can access the RSX. Not sure why Sony didn't allow GPU access from OtherOS.

Is this you reddit.com/r/linux/comments/btltd5/i_would_like_to_thank_all_the_people_working_on/ ?
What are you doing posting on the Shittit?

Why use a powerPC when you can use a raspberry pi.

That's good to hear, I got CFW partially installed on my super slim when the 4.82 (iirc) crack came out, I'll have to see if I can get it going all the way

Why use a Raspberry Pi when you can use more interesting hardware?

I'm talking about paint-level editing, like cropping and drawing squiggles, and websites would only be rendered in the most basic way possible, allowing only things like Captcha to work. Take Dillo, for example - only uses 10 mb of RAM with a tab open, and I'm sure that could be less if optimized properly.

i'm only talking about the amount of software you'd need to write to get that much functionality, you might be surprised
making nojs capcha work should be feasable
a pentium 1 and 24M ram is enough for what you're asking, you won't get modern js-ridden sites to run on that though

Why are you so triggered by PowerPC discussions? We aren't even discussing Apple products.

I don't post on reddit.

The raspberry pi is boring. Too many people working on it, so everything just works™.
There is still work to do on the PS3. Like getting hardware acceleration working like it used to for X.

As far as I know the superslim is not supported for OtherOS++.

Protip: if you give it low density dual sided sd ram you can up the total ram to 512.

What a disappointment, I guess I'll hit up Craigslist

Does this work any PS3?
The development (tool) version already has 512MB of ram, but they are fairly rare and quite expensive. They go for at least 300€ on ebay.

Wow! Garbage next to the garbage dumpster!
Seriously though, it it's a Rev. A, it might as well be garbage. The Rev. Bs are pretty nifty, but I personally prefer the beige G3s over the blue & whites.

>What is it about the beige G3s you like over the B&Ws?
They make for great bridge machines. They have SCSI, Mac serial ports (Allowing you to use them as LocalTalk bridges), a floppy drive that supports all Mac and PC formats, they can be had in desktop cases, and they're compatible with pretty much all the upgrades available for the B&W. Hell, you need to patch the firmware on the later B&Ws if you want to put a G4 upgrade in them, whereas in the Beiges it's pretty much plug and play. You could say the beiges are more "computer-y" than the B&Ws.

That's an entirely unrelated post. Some aspie is assblasted about this general and spams it with replies containing posts from previous threads. See

yeah, I misread your post like a retard and thought I saw something about SSDs in there for whatever reason

I picked up a funbrick with a sonnet SATA controller in it for $5 a while ago, but I ended up putting it aside for an MDD or something if I ever get one and installed a factory atto U320 controller back in it instead and will probably pick up a pair of X15s for it later

To install a CFW and enable OtherOS++ you will need a PS3 on OFW 3.55.
You can always use a hardware flasher to downgrade, but not all models can go down to 3.55.
Check this: psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

Sadly the ppc port of haiku is dead

>factory atto U320
Do you know if those are bootable under OS 9? I got one with an Xserve G5 some time ago and I might use it for a project with a GbE G4. I also have a U160 Adaptec that came in a beige G3, but it'd be cool to see how OS 9 performs with a faster card.

>tfw you're learning thanks to the spammer

>Haiku
>no PowerPC
That's really disappointing, and kind of surprising. I know it's a poor comparison since Microsoft actually has a market on the platform but it's like if MS dropped x86 support

running proper application stacks both my 500DP and 2.3DC are fine, literally nobody is looking at something like that thinking they're getting anything remotely competitive with a modern machine

t. Gamer whose experience amounts to putting componenta together and playing with toys

no

Do you compile directly on the G5 or cross-compile?

Attached: spam.png (1030x572, 72K)

Attached: spam.png (867x275, 53K)

>I'm talking about paint-level editing, like cropping and drawing squiggles

Attached: spam.png (1914x373, 74K)

Attached: spam.png (805x297, 32K)

Attached: spam.png (1904x1054, 150K)

Attached: spam.png (1914x346, 59K)

Attached: spam.png (1896x787, 99K)

Attached: spam.png (1916x289, 66K)

Attached: spam.png (1861x181, 27K)

Attached: spam.png (1100x418, 42K)

Anyone tried this?
wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiToo!

Another thread another spam galore

Compiling on a G5 is a little of a gambling.

Not PowerPC, but look at what I snagged today.
Got it with everything except for the monitor, I even got a "The Network Is The Computer" mousepad. Seller was pretty based, also gave me an old Micropolis full height drive.

Attached: 310345073_1.jpg (360x480, 70K)

Fuck yeah, is that Type-6 set USB though?

I have a pretty loaded Ultra 5 that I need to do something with.

>Fuck yeah, is that Type-6 set USB though?
It's mini-DIN, one of the reasons why I grabbed it.
>I have a pretty loaded Ultra 5 that I need to do something with.
I use an Ultra Enterprise 250 as a home server, these PCI sun4us are great machines for anything that doesn't require much processing power.

Here's the specs, looks like it used to be a Creator 3D but the UPA framebuffer got removed at some point. Not like I really care, I'm going to shove an XVR-1200 in it anyway.

Attached: 310345073_6.jpg (640x480, 124K)

Based as fuck. I really wish I didn't live in a tropical nowhere where even old tech is rare and expensive as fuck.

Can it run Solaris 10?

Compiled directly on the G5. I got the base system installed and configured without any issues but couldn't get xorg to run, and wayland had inverted colours. A few packages I tried installing failed to build outright but I can't remember what they were.

Yes, but I'm keeping 9 on it.

Is it because of something in particular? Like preferring CDE over Gnome/JDS?

What distro is that?

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this?
youtube.com/watch?v=42b8bgV014Q

T2 SDE
t2sde.org/

>over 1k
>>>budget

lmao what is this intel?

Relatively speaking that is a budget machine. Check out the Talos II and POWER9 servers if you want to see non-budget options.

Can I run ppc mac osx nativly on any of this new shit yet?

t. Gamer whose experience amounts to putting componenta together and playing with toys

>linux
lmao

I'm very out of touch on current processors. My main machine has a FX-6300. How is AMDs laptop processors? Is the APU still outperforming intels integrated graphics? The AMD APU would be fantastic in the 13".

Just sell the same expensive macs but now with new intel processors with the bugs fixed, it's a perfect circle to force itards to update.
Like intel, apple is a greed company, and with Jobs departure it got worse.

Seems to be really ridiculus prices for what you are getting, an entirely less capable machine in regards to software and hardware support

That's how economics works. Low scale production means higher prices.

Attached: file.png (732x483, 28K)

please stop posting operating systems that don't have 3d acceleration or multi core support those aren't real operating systems

>really, they could go full in-house with their arm CPUs
they just can't. the performance of current intel macs is shit, if they go to ARM it'll be even worse but with longer battery life. and since apple have invested many years into x86 software development for mac os, there's no fast way of emulating the intel instruction sets with ARM without suffering from massive performance penalties. apple are fucked either way. they should focus on making their intel based machines less fucking crippled compared to the competition.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 24K)

here we go again

I do prefer CDE over JDS, but the reason I'm not installing Solaris 10 on the thing is simply that I have a SunFire 280R running 10 U11 already.

Attached: IMG_20190811_133417.jpg (2560x1920, 2M)