Most plentiful metal on Earth

>most plentiful metal on Earth
>can be melted in a kitchen stove
>considered a premium material
Why is this allowed?

Attached: 995-997-9999-aluminium-ingot-aluminum-ingot[1].jpg (458x458, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sial
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

isn't the melting point like 1300 f?

>in a stove
It's called an oven, dumbass.

melting is not smelting

aluminum melting point -> 660ºC
do you have a fucking industrial furnace in your kitchen?

stoves can go up to 660C? That seems really hot.

it costs a lot to refine it electricity-wise.

>Why is this allowed?
metal feels more premium in the hand
In reality a good plastic suited for the task will cost more than aluminium

I thought the earth was mostly iron considering it's 40% of the earth's mass, and that aluminum was expensive to extract?

Aluminium is trash, absolute garbage to process and is only praised due to it's weight/strength ratio, when in most cases steel would work better
Fuck aluminium

Absolutely.

We can only mine the crust. I believe most of the iron is in the core and the mantle.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition
The crust is Mponeng is a gold mine in South Africa's Gauteng province. It extends over 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) below the surface,[1] and is considered to be one of the most substantial gold mines in the world.[2] It is also currently the world's deepest mine from ground level.[3] The trip from the surface to the bottom of the mine takes over an hour.[1]

Attached: 2019-08-09 22_53_35-Earth - Wikipedia.png (359x378, 15K)

it's pretty expensive to extract iron from the Earth's core. If you just consider the Earth's crust aluminum is estimated to be ~1.6x as abundant
A low weight/strength ratio is an incredibly useful property.

since when is AL premium?
looking at prices per tonn, LEAD is more expensive than aluminium, steel is half the price of Aluminium

>plastic with reinforced glass fibers is equivalent to it.

Aluminium used to be hard to extract (attempts to make pure Aluminium date to around 1760) and at one point exceeded the value of gold during the mid 1800s.

Technological advances such as electrolysis made extraction of the metal much more reliable (getting purer metal) and cost effect compared to earlier methods (although these methods use a lot of energy as some have pointed out, cheapest means of making ignots would be to recycle existing processed metal such as cans).

While the metal does not seem like a premium metal the fact is that it was (in regards to it's former value vs gold) and would still be considered as such in regards to engineering (various fields such as air crafts, cars, portable computers such as laptops and smart phones, and also electric pylons which use Aluminium as a larger part of the cable alloy with copper to lower cable production cost and also that the cable is considerably lighter than a pylon cable made purely from copper).

Well yes - but do you know how you get it refined? You're saying it's the most plentiful metal on earth, and i making an educated guess you just assume that this means some aluminium ore just lies in countries without mountains?

You have to extract it from common soil, through electrolysis. It is really expensive, compared to just how common it is. Iceland is a major exporter of aluminium, while not really having any other primary industries - but they have a near limitless supply of cheap power.

Any gas stove will make short work of aluminium.

My pans say otherwise.

>Why is this allowed?
Because "at least it isn't plastic".
Which is the only thing that matters to MacFags.

Put it on the fire without anything in it see what happens.

Only if it is processed (or refined) metal like cans.

Not the case with ore (otherwise the metal would have been long discovered and used much earlier) which is why a great deal of effort was made in the last 200 years+ to perfect the refining method and even then there are inventors looking into more feasible means of refining the Aluminium at a lower energy cost.

I doubt a simple gas stove will do as most use a lot of burning coal around a cylinder where both are contained in a metal pot or drum (with varying heating methods, most require the cylinder filled with the boiling Aluminium to be removed and then the metal is poured onto ingot trays) when melting multiple cans together.

no you need forced air as well as gas. A normal gas stove is nowhere near hot enough.

pic related, me melting aluminum with a waste oil furnace.

Attached: DSCN0191.jpg (4608x3456, 3.37M)

You idiot, aluminum (yes that's the correct spelling) is one of the best metals out there. You think toughness and melting point make a metal "better"? I bet you write everything in C as well, don't you?

>itt jelly stovelets

doubt.jpg

do it with a strip of aluminium foil if you're too much of a pussy to

Aluminum is not the correct spelling though. Aluminium is.

It wasn't always plentiful, originally it could only be used if found in a naturally metallic state, therefore insanely expensive. Even then the now super common form still takes insane electricity to create.

Oh my autocorrect messed it up. You are correct. I'm a filthy phone poster, and high af

i don't have a gas stove because i'm not a retarded boomer

>kitchen stove
You can do that easily with lead and zinc, but not aluminum with most common kitchen stoves and just an open crucible. You need to do a little more and make the heat stay in the metal and not easily or quickly leave it. That means some rockwool insulation and lid. Otherwise, it just doesn't get to a good temp to do good metal casting. It is just easier to get a plumber's blowtorch and terracotta flower pot to make a small oven. Then you can just use a steel food can as a crucible, though you can accidentally melt a hole through the food can if you don't pay attention.

I personally prefer charcoal/coal and forced air or a large propane torch and insulated furnace. It just makes things so much easier and the molten aluminum is nicely molten and easy to pour and work with.

Only in ancient times when it was very expensive.

Pretty much any metal's premium in comparison to plastic

>Cooking with aluminium

Attached: download.jpg (308x163, 8K)

we /diy/ now?

Attached: 1486270042250.jpg (1080x1080, 154K)

Alu heats up quick, perfect for quick early morning omlette.

Ovens are artificially restricted during normal use - the self-cleaning cycle is designed to reach 500-550C.
Aluminum's melting point is just above 650C, so while you can't actually liquefy it in an (electric) oven you can get it hot enough to be worked on as if you had a forge.

I'm sure a well insulated gas oven, if you modify the gas flow and burners, can sustain >600C, but I wouldn't do it.

Plague is a treasure and his works are blessing upon the internet.

>Ovens are artificially restricted during normal use - the self-cleaning cycle is designed to reach 500-550C.
literally everyone knows that

Apple is what marketed aluminum as premium

Attached: FullSizeRender-36_f8c30ad3-84d5-4f0c-ade2-a09000573837[1].jpg (2048x1905, 730K)

Not really.
Many design groups BEFORE Apple made Aluminum premium.
Hell, the 80's brushed-aluminum Hi-Fi trend probably did more for Aluminum's perception than Apple did.

Attached: Capture.png (650x247, 51K)

you're more dumb than the guy who replied to me.

>aluminium considered a premium material
as a knife collector, HAHAHA

>itt people put pans in the oven
why do people do that, if you accidentally do that with a Teflon one you're gonna get supercancer

If alumin(i)um is so premium, why is it used in trash?

Attached: ss (2019-08-10 at 05.35.25).png (388x248, 142K)

it's not better or worse. it's just different like all the hipsters at Jow Forums.

>Topic is aluminium on American website
>deep, deep fear
>Don't forget to mention it's cousin alumonunamnom
>ALUMINIUM, ALUMINIUM, ALUMINIUM

>A-LU-MI-NIUM

Attached: dumb-americans.jpg (497x500, 61K)

math

>Al

Attached: american-im-murican-hillbilly-meme.jpg (500x442, 55K)

>In reality a good plastic suited for the task will cost more than aluminium
Milling and refining of the aluminium piece is way more expensive than any form of plastic molding.

500°C?
What do you need 400°C for?

I think Intel is very brave to aim for 100°C operating temperature in the next generation of 14nm CPUs. It opens up the market for integrated computer-kettles so consumers can have tea at their workstations.

My elitebook uses a magnesium alloy. Is that better?

You dumpass, the energy requirements to smelt aluminium are immense.

Aluminium.

Attached: Meanwhile, in America.jpg (500x310, 72K)

>stoves can go up to 660C?
if you leave it on for a few hours at max heat, absolutely. always make sure to turn off the stove kids

Someone say the thing with Napoleon and his guests.

you can cut a sliver from a soda can and melt it with a niggerette lighter... gives me a captcha with tractors

Here in America (land of the FREE if I need remind you) we use freedom respecting spelling such as ALUMINUM. I bet you live in one of those third world places like Europe lol. Didn't know you guys even had electricity. SAD.

Consider that most of iron isn't in available reach.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sial

It is only good sandwiched into the bottoms of pans and pots. It shouldn't be contacting food.

>claims to be an americ-
>"Didn't know you guys even had electricity"
Okay nevermind, it checks out.

roads should be made of aluminum, of course not as flat as a metal sheet but with a tarmac like pattern at the surface.

Imagine walking on a fucking radiator during summer.

I was wondering the same, all the fucking companies raging hard about muh aluminium.
Literally the shittiest material that easily scratches and that we used in school to do lab assignments because it's easy to cut and bend.