myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Buy $200 'dumb tv'
>Buy $75 chinese android box
>Root it, flash the rom
>Install Kodi + Jarvus etc
>??? Profit

>buy TV

Mine started showing ads only when I forced the region to US. Anyways, I just set the DNS server to a pi-hole and problem solved.

That's a big monitor

You can't be a decent quality dumb panel anymore. It's all pozzed smart tv's. And I looked for a while.

I'm not kidding, do people actually use their TVs ""smart"" features? most people I know use their gaming consoles for Netflix or they have a roku/apple tv/firetv/chromecast.

How long until adtech collapses?

Can "smart" tvs work without being connected to the internet?

Remember to opt out of the periodic uploading of screengrabs and audio recordings.

yes

>spend more than $0 on a TV
fuck off boomer scum. no one watches TV anymore

Usually, after an initial online activation in some cases.

>none watches tv anymore
I wasn't aware that they made oversized 50" inch monitors

>He uses the "smart" features
user...

how else am i gonna make use of my TV loicense?

bin the noife

>buy Samsung

Well you deserve it for buying a Samsung product in first place

i am not in the UK

>watching TV

wrong, sony still offers non-smart tvs

>Buying botnet telescreens

Attached: 1559721342472.png (349x427, 168K)

those ads are what subsidize the panel cost. you can buy 65" tvs for $500 now. those panels cost much more. the second you connect the tv to your wifi the tvs microphone is turned on and everything you say in your house is sold. never connect your tv to wifi

based

Attached: spotted.jpg (657x527, 32K)

>>Can "smart" tvs work without being connected to the internet?
>never connect your tv to wifi

Smart TVs will grab any open wi-fi network they can hear, if you don't set it up yourself.
archive.is/FF9YR

I want off this wild ride

>buying a Samgung TV at all

yikes

their TVs always break due to the cheapest chink shit parts

Which chinkshit brand are you shilling then?

Do you people watch movies and shit on a monitor? I know zoomers are fucking retards who watch movies on phones but I thought Jow Forums was above this.

Sony, of course, folded over 1000 times

This is what I've always been saying. Connect any device to a TV and it's a 'smart' TV. The actual 'smart' in TVs is some useless bloat botnet shit.

why do you connect your tv to the internet

Depends on what and how long I'll watch, but I'm not into tvs that much so I mostly watch stuff on my monitor

What's your point? They have shit tier panels in them. Even Sony's mid-range stuff has shit tier IPS panels.

>television

does all this smart tv shit add extra latency to the input from other sources like HDMI?

>buying samsung shit
their fridges break from putting a gallon of milk in the shelf because the connect meme acrylic. front side into a fucking lever with the non acrylic plastic acting as a fulcrum.
THEY MAKE THE WORSE APPLIANCES.

phillips still has 2 ips non-smart tvs, are those any good?

they usually have a "game mode" that disables a bunch of crap

Samsung, Sony & LG are the best panels manufacturers.

>Do you people watch movies and shit on a monitor?

sure. why not?

have had mine for 7 years now, but okay.

Just buy a "smart tv" don't connect it to the internet and use a fire tv or android box with it with hdmi CEC

Probably because they're all manufactured in the same place.

This is somewhat true. Their service is absolute garbage too. The appliances do perform quite well for the most part though and you can get them cheaper than any other big name brand (except dishwashers, never get a samsung dishwasher).

I set one of these up for my parents and straight away it was recommending Eugenia Cooney videos to watch. What in the actual fuck

>being so dumb that you actually fucking buy a smarttv
>being so dumb that you still need a fucking tv in 2019
God fucking damn

I go outside

Try having sex?

Your post sounds problematic

Yes he can be a dumb panel

For you

SamToddlers BTFO

Attached: ebin.gif (498x278, 1.06M)

upvoted

Attached: Screenshot_20190809-235451.png (1440x2960, 1.38M)

everyday i have closer to strangle everyone who are from reddit. Holy shit those guys are straight fucking retards.

It would have been $3000 without the ads idiot.

Then be honest at least and sell the $2500 one labeled clearly as having ads, and the $3000 one labeled as not having ads. Let the market decide. For me, if I'm being asked to see ads from the TV itself, they one with ads better be almost half the price of the no ad version.

You aren't asked to see ads.

You can, but they are expensive.

>browse reddit
>steal post

>price has anything to do with not seeing ads

What a vague post
If the shit had any validity this should have been a big story

It's quite small

For you

No, in comparison to TVs. I really doubt you have a 65+" monitor. At 30", which is still pretty large as far as monitors go, a 65" TV with the same aspect ratio will be >4x larger

Since it's storytime.
>Buy cheapest 1080 TV at Costco to replace my dead one.
>Some Vizio "smart" TV
>See weird traffic from it.
>Force TV to use PiHole for DNS.
>Block outbound DNS from any other host than PiHole.
No more ads or any other weird shit.

You can set up a site block on your router so you wont see the ads. Do your fucking research.

newfag

My dad bought a Samsung TV recently. He uses screen mirroring with his shitty Surface Pro 3. TV is so dumb it couldn't do it right until I went through the service menu and switched the screen mirroring resolution to 2K because I guess it's too difficult to include that setting anywhere else that's more accessible.

Only newfags call people newfags

>retards don't use pihole with their smart tvs
>retards connect their smart tv to the internet
here if for whatever reason anyone in this thread has a roku
### EXACT BLOCKING ###
amoeba.web.roku.com
assets.sr.roku.com
cloudservices.roku.com
liberty.logs.roku.com
prod.mobile.roku.com
scribe.logs.roku.com
wwwimg.roku.com

### REGIX & WILDCARD ###
(^|\.)ads\.roku\.com$
(^|\.)logs\.roku\.com$
(|.)sw.roku.com$

or buy a FireTV / Android TV / Chromecast and use the default pihole blocklists
Enjoy your noticeably faster app load times

you know what is worst, those fuckers mostly run Android and when i turn my tv on i have to wait for aorund 30 Secounds... also fuck forced Updates...
AHH and this fucker here keeps playing AP and i can not turn that shit off...
Fuck this world there is no dumb fucking tv's anymore

Attached: IMG_0279.jpg (258x392, 41K)

I only watch it in the theater.

What the hell did you expect?
It's the same fucking OS they put on their $200/300 TVs.
That said, don't remember ever seeing ads on those.

Also remember they can remotely activate the camera.

That Samsung uses its TV as bugging devices was news last year.
People apparently don't care.

no
filters and postprocessing does
and there are modes that turn that off

What the fuck? TVs come with a camera now?

Apparently Google are forcing ads onto TV company that uses android, along the lines of "if you don't want ads, don't use our platform"

Honestly Sony should just switch to an OS derived from the one used for the playstation.

>buy
just steal the TV from a container

> Sony
They source panels from AUO, Innolux, LG and Samsung.

>skip wi-fi setup
>don't use "smart" shit which is completely useless
>connect your laptop via hdmi
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

>buying a smart tv.
>buying a samshit smart tv
>for $2500

Dude, these people are the perfect targets of advertisements.

This is why I don't buy gook shit anymore.

If you have to get a smart TV, you can still do this. It will never be smart with you if you never tell it the wifi password, and only set it up enough to switch it to HDMI in.

>laptop
>not an HTPC
Poorfag

>current year
>TV

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

>implying you need cable to own a TV

Can't handle a real OS, brainlet?

What?

Sure, otherwise it isn't even really 1984, is it?
(I am really glad I could at least convince most people I know to get one WITHOUT camera.)

Don't give it your WiFi password and keep it disabled, that's what I did with my Kindle

I'd use if I had one.
Right now I use PS4 solely to play YouTube and steam link to play games. It'd be nice to have it all inside the TV.

Why on earth would you hook your TV up to the internet?

I have a PS4, a Wii U, a PS3, and a Roku Ultra all hooked up to my Samsung QLED smart TV. My samsung has never been connected to the internet.
Why? Two reasons:
>1. Because smart tvs are notorious for not getting any updates past the first year or two. There's no way that I'm going to put my TV at risk. A new Roku Ultra costs ~100 new. A new TV costs thousands.
>2. Privacy. It's no secret that Smart TVs datamine the fuck out of you, sometimes including audio, even when the TV is on standby.

Read the thread, the newer ones have a tendency to attach to any open wifi network if you don't give them one yourself.

>Read the thread, the newer ones have a tendency to attach to any open wifi network if you don't give them one yourself.

In order to stop this, you simply set the internet to Ethernet.

Reception via Terrestrial, Satellite and Cable aren't by default better than via Internet anymore.
Often it's significantly worse, and fucking DRM is everywhere anyway.

I'd always put the "smart" stuff into an external box, and keep the TV itself "stupid", but that's not what the average guy wants anymore.

That's not really an excuse for you to turn those features on, and you can turn off all wifi just by setting it to ethernet in the options. I've had a Roku 3 since Spring 2013, and it's still getting updates (last OS update was Jun 5 of this year). I'd be willing to paypal someone 10 bucks who has had a smart TV that's been updated for at least 6 years.

>I'd be willing to paypal someone 10 bucks who has had a smart TV that's been updated for at least 6 years.
You won't even find an Android phone that receives SECURITY updates for that long.
Fuck, usually it's a year or two at most. If you are lucky.

Seriously, I'm always surprised how all the smart shit hasn't lead to anything significantly worse than a few DDOS so far.

It may very well be happening, but the people too stupid to not use it are also too stupid to know that it's happening. If it isn't happening yet, you can bet your ass it will eventually.