Your worst programming experience?

Your worst programming experience?

Attached: 1565321420984.png (345x227, 4K)

Sending mail to Outlook in a python application turned to .exe with Pyinstaller and a bunch of data science libs.

These things don't play particularly nice between eachother.

>Embedded
Fucked up a flash memory checksum algorithm. One bug skipped all odd memory addresses and another picked only 1 byte out of every 3 byte word effectively checksumming only 1/6 of the whole memory. Since the same algorithm was used both to generate the factory images and by the device's bootloader to check integrity before flashing, the bug went unnoticed until years into production. Although it hasn't caused any known problems I have to live with the shame for the rest of my life because it's pretty much impossible to fix now.

Having installed Gentoo and having to update my packages without a clean world file

why reinvent the wheel?

How do you even sleep?

Lol

First adventure into machine language fried my apple 2

apple2 from 1977?

What happened

I've used C++ before.

Attached: 1564559341003.jpg (502x600, 280K)

for a class I had to write in Assembly Language, in hex. the program just had to do some stupid thing like add or something. I finally got it done. very few ppl in the very small class could do it, so I let most copy and mod my work. even the prof knew, but he knew it was hopeless, so he let it go, lol.

Attached: LeTreeDog-n-LeHatWoman.jpg (508x278, 97K)

1977 Apple IIe, ("two-e"), I did AppleGraphics on those

Why are all computer science courses like this, the professor makes the class crazy hard and then no one actually makes it but then lets them pass anyway

I once tried to install watchfaces on those 20$ smartwatches from China and even tho I saw English words, it felt like I was decrypting moon hieroglyphics.

Well, I didn't reinvent the actual check summing but I had to make something to feed the data from the flash memory to the cs routine.

allowing users to jailbreak their devices is only good
the chances of something malicious happening is minuscule

i call bullshit
only a very small amount of computers have hardware bugs the break the hardware from software

Just think of it as unintentional quantization.

Pentium FDIV bug.

Haskell

>The Pentium FDIV bug is a computer bug affecting the floating point unit (FPU) of the early Intel Pentium processors. Because of the bug, the processor might return incorrect binary floating point results when dividing a number.
what does that have to do with bugs damaging the hardware itself or the apple ii

It was Stuxnet, he's Iranian.

not being being able to get javafx CSS to work

You should have listened to your colleagues when you found your code and tons of trouble.

pretty much any time I have to work on someone elses code

high school programming class - teacher gave me a 0 on the first exam for not commenting every line of basic code.

He was docking a single point from my assignments prior to that but I guess he really wanted to send me a message.

Heard he got fired for body slamming a student.

easy way to weed out the "game dev" mongs who won't commit to the programming side of the job...like me.

Dropping production database.
Fortunately I had backups.

never log in to prod; devs shoudn't even have prod credentials

>Assembly
>In hex
what the fuck?
I think the term you're looking for is "machine code"
assembly is a higher level language and assemblers often implement features such as macros

Also that isn't that hard at all
Just dumb, might as well just use an assembler instead and look at the output in radare2 or something afterwards

What do you actually learn from writing a program in machine code instead of assembly? They're representing the same thing but assembly is easier to read.

>most people couldn't add in assembly
Why are university students such brainlets?

The shame, user! And it is something at the base of everything else your company builds.
I love these boards, he'd never confess to this if it wasn't under the guise of anonymity, bless the 4clovers.

>adding in assembly
>hard

>Your worst programming experience?
programming. I love it, but I hate it.

making a 2d rts in visual basic using directx with online play support and map redactor with "triggers" and making countless sprite sheets in paint.net starting when I was about 10 years old and doing that for about 5 years. ofc I am retarded but remembering this now made me think "I wish to die"

Working on a huge enterprise java server.

Writing web interfaces with flavor of the month frameworks. God it's so fucking painful

had to write a system bus in verilog (1 bit grant line, 8 bit address, 8 bit data) with many connected modules + an arbiter for them

I'm in CS. I'll frankly admit I'm entirely used to sequential, synchronous, logic. I'm not used to writing programs where everything happens at the same time, especially in a programming language that's written line-by-line anywho.

>what the fuck?
not him but it was probably a computer architecture course that had them write in a machine code format of some architecture where the assembly language is pretty much 1-to-1 with the machine code format, such as MIPS.
In my computer architecture class we had to write a MIPS binary decompiler, which was rote but easy.

Reverse engineers are going to have a good laugh with your code

Worked for a professor for a summer. He wanted me to continue the work another student. Code was really bad and all the comments were in Hindi. He did wierd things like checking if the program was running on Ubuntu 14.04, if it wasn't the program would crash. Instead of connecting directly to the db he used another program to copy the entire db to a new CSV then read from that.

I once had to make an application that grabbed contacts from Office365 (before the nice APIs they have now) and put them into Salesforce via a Lightning app.

The documentation for both technologies amounted to "Hmm seems tricky, would you like to pay for consultants to do this?" - Which wasn't really an option for the project.

Better than rust

I can see a cold war russian programmer doing this one

>many years ago wrote a program to decrypt the US nuclear launch codes, it was flawless and should have worked perfectly
>our agents manged to get into the US sites and tried to run it, but it only ever returned all 0s
>they called me a failure and ran me out of the industry. then sent me to the gulag, I barely survived by luck alone.
>years later we all found out that the US due to their generals not wanting to over complicate and delay the launch of nuclear weapons set all of their launch codes to all 0s

did you get anything for being wrongly accused?

are you thick

>nazi WWII programmer
>develop first logical language and create first expert system
>build it out of hundreds of copied American military manuals
>our generals will always know exactly what the Americans will do in any situation
>war starts
>my expert system is always massively wrong
>investigation reveals Jewish heritage
>I survived being gassed six times, and KO'd Mengele himself
>later we learned that the Americans never follow their own military doctrine

>learning
VHDL
>work
massive legacy codebase in combination of PHP, Java, and native C with comments in combination of Portuguese, Hungarian, and Russian

Junior Java job consisting of reading and implementing UML diagrams which changed every day (usually after the mandatory morning meeting) while using mercurial for SCM.

Jesús christ WHAT THE FUCK

delete program.
negative value becomes zero value.
"there I massively improved it for you"
find another professor

The power of POO

its russia dude. I would assume his answer would be something like

>yes, mesothelioma stage 4, and 6 months to live

>contractor offshore developers to create an internal application for our company, they’re from Wistron and China.
>Begin writing code, it’s a C# app. One of the first pull requests they submit is a ~20,000 line file.

The application has been in development for over a year now, it’s many months behind. Its causing a lot of headaches for the managers on my team and sucking their soul away. months behind, bad code, bad design. Shits funny as fuck. The memes are real.

getting a 1000-line chunk of code in a single file and being asked to develop it into a more advanced tool
wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the person who wrote the code was implementing a new fancy algorithm he came up with, that he refused to share any information about how it worked or what the theory was, and that I had to go into the guts of his algorithm and kludge things to work because it wouldn't even run without crashing

Sounds like a shit school desu.
We had to write reasonably complex ASM as part of the core curriculum at my university.