Just got my 4GB Pi 4 in the mail, WTF is this port?

Now I have to find some kind of fucking micro HDMI to DVI adapter so I can use this POS with my nice Viewsonic monitor.

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-4-micro-HDMI.jpg (728x464, 74K)

>WTF is this port?
>fucking micro HDMI
Mystery solved guys.
Pack up the thread.

Yeah but why? Also are there direct conversion cables which can plug into a DVI monitor without an adapter?

I hate nu-ports and smol-ports.

>Yeah but why?
Because they can't fit two full size HDMI ports on it.
Duh.

should have used 2x mini display ports
hdmi is bad

HDMI has more support.

no it doesn't.
mini display port has far more support than mini DP
both can be interchanged as far as other side of cable / ending connectors, idiot

than mini hdmi *

in fact pi 4 is virtually the only fucking thing that ever has used mini hdmi, where-as tons of GPUs & monitors uses mini dp

rPi engineers never go for quality. They like to pretend kids in developing countries are gonna use this as their main source of home computing so they go for ubiquity.
There are lots of cheap chinkphones out there have that mini HDMI crap built so they just went with that.

>crying this much over a port
just buy a fucking adapter off amazon

>WTF is this port?
>Says what it is in the filename

Attached: super bruh moment.jpg (720x1159, 74K)

lets be honest, neither are used in anything.
buy a fucking adapter.

Both TVs and monitors typically have HDMI.

my entire company uses mini dp for all the office computers
:^)
hdmi isn't royalty free, it is much slower as well.

Yea I guess that's true. They're certainly bad at engineering the boards.
What's that have to do with mini HDMI? idiot.

>my entire company uses mini dp for all the office computers
Two computers isn't a large sample size.

Got ya again

Attached: 1550459959398s.jpg (125x117, 2K)

several hundred monitors on amazon and newegg offer mini dp
2 offer mini hdmi

BOTH can connect to dvi, hdmi, or dp on the other end.

The rPi isn't made with monitors in mind, it's meant to be used with both monitors and TVs.
You can get a fucking mini HDMI cable for under $5, Mini DisplayPort is comparably harder to come by and some stores like to mark up the prices with an Apple tax.
Now stop being autistic, I wish it had mini DP too.

Yea, so why would you use mini hdmi?
It isn't royalty free, it costs more money to build and there is no benefit.
If it's aimed to be used on both monitors and TVs you'd want to use a port they have, not one they don't.
You can use a mini DP to HDMI which would not only cost LESS but also be royalty free
however they use a royalty port and thus costs more, is slower, is less used, and less known
You dumb fuck.

rPi is a Sony product and is easily the biggest selling Sony computer of all time. The rPi Foundation might make big level decisions but the Pi itself has always been a Sony product and they're made in the UK. In fact the Pi 4 can boot without blobs apparently. It's highly engineered and a very powerful computer for the size and power requirements. When I was in college we used an IBM RS/6000 at 100 MHz and 1GB memory to support tens of thousands of simultaneously logged in users.

must be why they made the fucking usb-c port non-compliant

>Yea, so why would you use mini hdmi?

so that it all fits on the board. no other reason. displayport isn't something that's supported by the chip/

>It's highly engineered and a very powerful computer for the size and power requirements.

there's nothing quality about the RPI. it's joke level engineering every release. they used chipscale DCDC controllers on the 3 that were light sensitive. they fucked up usb c on the 4. the original for some reason had a linear voltage regulator running the core, because fuck you.

>in fact pi 4 is virtually the only fucking thing that ever has used mini hdmi,

Attached: nokia.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

Everything works great here, maybe you pushed the wrong button?

>hdmi isn't royalty free
Ahem:
>be sony
>make hdmi
>form industry body to license it, charge to join
>manufacture rpi
>take one dollar out for hdmi
>deposit right into your other pocket
>business.png

My surface RT would like to have a word with you
>Inb4 surface RT is shit, it has no malware, full office preinstalled, fills my need

>Everything works great here, maybe you pushed the wrong button?

my wisdom teeth are fine, everybody elses must be.

its well known that the things die like you wouldn't believe. try shorting out the 3.3v and 5v pins accidentally like the hoards of people on the RPI forums. kills 'em right dead and proper.

>try breaking this thing
I shorted out parts of my Intel computer too and it broke also, wow computers suck. And back in the '80s I let the smoke out of another computer by spilling iron filings onto the exposed motherboard while it was running. Fucking piece of trash.

The pi4 was designed to be the first pi to have dual monitor support and 2 full size hdmi would consume a lot of space.
>dvi
>nu
>smol
You must be at least 18 to post here.

More like DP is bad. HDMI is much better.

thank you for subscribing us to your fucking blog

Why would you want a mini/micro port on a monitor? Those are for portable devices. You'd use a miniDP to DP cable or a mini/micro HDMI to HDMI cable

The 2-c-self-destruct-port

Attached: IMG_20190809_180604.jpg (3024x4032, 1.18M)

Why can't they place two full size hdmi ports vertically? One on top of another.

You know, I'm not sure.
Maybe height issues in that area? Interfere with the camera connector?

Because there wouldn't be enough space? Are you actually braindead or something?

Nice and well educated comment my friend. Not fucking stupid at all.

I forgot how space constrained RasPis are vertically speaking. Just look at all that shit above the microHDMI ports, there's no way they could stack ports rather than placing them side-by-side.

Attached: 1539203876408.jpg (2560x1440, 57K)

WhAt ArE tHeSe SlOtS, it literally fucking says HDMI above them, what do you think it is a fucking express card slot?!

Attached: 273fc69.jpg (320x221, 11K)

Because it needs to be backwards compatible with the shields (camera, etc), stacking two hdmi ports would stick up too high for that

Is Sony paying you?

>powerful computer for the size and power requirements
An A72 on a 28nm node isn't very powerful for its size and power requirements, not in 2019.
And its Videocore GPU is downright anaemic.

>take one dollar out for hdmi
It's more like 0.05 cents
Still cheaper than if they went with displayport
People don't understand that even with a license fee using HDMI will still come out cheaper than DP just due to the sheer amount of mass manufacturing HDMI has behind it

Pi4 uses microHdmi
Pi0 used miniHdmi
MicroHdmi is also used by BB Z10, beagleboard black

Attached: 1424468231507.jpg (1335x2048, 373K)

imagine purchasing a device without knowing what it needs to work

Did you buy it without reading what you are buying?

Does this iteration play 10 bit x264/x265 animus at 720p/1080p