Try to drive my car

>try to drive my car
>tfw the botnet wants me to walk

Attached: toyota car transmits user data.jpg (3024x4032, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2016/05/drive-car-can-id-within-minutes-study-finds/
cars.com/research/honda-fit-2011/
autosafety.org/cas-kidsandcars-org-sue-dotnhtsa-force-action-rear-seat-belt-reminder-rule/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What the fuck is that real? holy shit

Yeah, it's real, and inescapable, because all new cars have it, because freetards don't buy enough new cars for them to give a shit what you think. Enjoy trying to find the cellular modem.

If you drive a modern car you're a fool.
If you drive an electric card you're an idiot.
If you'll ride in a self-driving car you're suicidal.

you cannot drive non modern cars, they old one get scapped. only shitholes like the middle east and africa get mechanical cars that will run forever, meanwhile the onions insulation of your car's electrical will deteriorate or be eaten by mice. YOU ABS WHILE DIE YOUR COMPUTER WILL DIE YOUR CAR WILL DIE

pretty much guaranteed they have microphones in there

Attached: harro amellica.jpg (1024x1024, 179K)

>tfw exclusively using EU public transport not any need for a car
life's nice

Fuck is that American Born Chinese?

I drive an 85 austin mini mayfair and it is in mint condition, doing all the maintenance work myself.
YOUR shitty car will die, mine will keep running for as long as I want it to.
Fuck, my car is probably older than you yourself, isn't it? My car doesn't have ABS, it doesn't have an ECU.

Don't buy new cars, period. It's fucking stupid.
I use a fucking 15 year old car and when it dies, I'm going to look at getting a car at least 10 years old without the botnet in it. Wonder if there is any fucking way you can tell a dealership to give you a new car without any botnet in it. Probably not.

>he hasn't swallowed the bicyclepill

In america, sure. You're required to have a reversing camera even if its a Fiat 500 over there.

you can buy a run an early 2000s peugeot 106 for pennies and the base models of those don't even have power steering.

My 2010 car doesn't have this problem.

Well why bother posting?

The fuck you can't. I'm buying a 1982 Mercedes 300D next month and I live in Clapistan. Usually get close to 1mil miles before needing a new engine. Aftermarket parts are literally still being made because it's a common taxi in third world shitholes, but you can order them here in the USA no problem.

>Wonder if there is any fucking way you can tell a dealership to give you a new car without any botnet in it. Probably not.

yeah you ask the saleman to look up if they have any cars on the lot without whatever technology package comes with the assistant bullshit. fleet sales wil lget cars like that so there should be some, or you can order them

desu it's probably easier to locate the wireless comms module and unplug it, they don't give a fuck.

His name is fucking Chinky. I think he learned his Engrish from amellican movies, that's why the clapping

>to disable, press vehicle's SOS button
well just press it?

Also
>When you lease or buy a vehicle equipped with Connected Services, data collection is active. You may deactivate Connected Services at any time by contacting us; and we will no longer collect your Personal Information, Location Data, Driving Data and Health Data.

Shut up retard, a car is much like a computer. If you maintain it effectively it will never fail. ABS systems don't _just_ fail. the ECU is enclosed in resin and shoved inside aluminum armor. it doesn't just decide to up and die one day. poor vehicle maintenance leads to problems that make worse problems if not maintained. it's very simple.

some cars have poor engineering and place fairly critical components like ABS modules near where they can collect water or dirt. again, competent maintenance and observation can prevent any problems.

So your computer will send data everywhere and they will just not record it.

So everyone except Toyota can take advantage of me.

Inb4
>he thinks they honor your opt-out

>We will use Voice Recordings to improve our responses and voice recognition. To facilitate functionality of your App Suite and linked Third Party Services, your vehicle may share your Location Data and Voice Recordings transcriptions with your Third Party Services and upon their receipt, the respective Third Party’s privacy policy and terms control.

>So your computer will send data everywhere
What are you talking about? That's not how the internet works/

>Wonder if there is any fucking way you can tell a dealership to give you a new car without any botnet in it
It's been a legal requirement in the US for several years now

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius and was thinking about upgrading because my catalytic converter was stolen but looks like I'm staying with the XW20 series.

Pretty disgusting. I don't want my data being sent to some unknown "third parties" whatever that means. I don't even want it collected to begin with. What's this about them using it for vehicle health? What? Why do they care? So they can blame me when their part fails because I "aggressively accelerated causing needless wear"?

As if Toyota's dealerships didn't try to abuse customers enough as it was.

>So they can blame me when their part fails because I "aggressively accelerated causing needless wear"?
Yes
Also they can detect when you drunk drive or let your uninsured son have a spin, based on your unusual driving.
>your Driving Behavior Data (such as your vehicle’s acceleration, speed, braking and steering) and your Location Data will be used to deliver usage-based insurance services to you, and for quality assurance, analysis, research and product development.

And

>A Car's Computer Can 'Fingerprint' You in Minutes Based on How You Drive
wired.com/2016/05/drive-car-can-id-within-minutes-study-finds/

Lol old vehicles are some of the most hated vehicles by consumers. See: 370Z, Tacoma and everything like them.

At least your car isn't an unleaded sedan that sounds like it's about to blow up.
... I need a job.

Attached: 1563997299010.png (575x446, 169K)

>We promise we won't collect your data if you ask us not to. :^)

I assume the way it works is they'll send a signal to the car telling it to turn off the setting or whatever. I don't think the car is hard wired to constantly send information and Toyota will ignore it. Which technically that's not ignoring because it still has to go to them in order for them to ignore it but at that point they already have it. I'm guessing it's a two way street. Which is even worse because it means they have remote access to your vehicle. If they can do that they can probably do more.

This is all assuming they care about your rights. Which they don't. So the above is pointless to speculate. Wonder how much more they have access to.

There's been multiple articles on these types of things. Employees from a service provider would look through the information of women they were interested in. They'd collect their nudes. They'd use their resources to help their friends hack the person and split the profits. Jow Forums likes to meme a lot about installing gentoo and all that but at times Jow Forums is right in a scary way.

Legally required to have botnet? Or legally required to provide the customer a choice of vehicle with no botnet?
I'm thinking it's the latter for "reasons".

That said, they use the data for traffic analysis. My city is implementing a "smart freeway" and I'm beginning to think that all cars will be networked for traffic purposes.
Hell, you could have driverless cars with ease if you had a centralised location coordinating all cars.

The problem is when the machine wants you dead.

Wow... That's so much worse than I thought. Absolutely egregious.

Legally required to have a black box. It records speed, brake force, etc. I don't know if telemetry is required but either way if your car's model year is 2016 or newer it's guaranteed to be recording your driving habits

Connecting to just any access point and transmitting isn't how the internet is supposed to work either. And yes, that does mean just anyone can listen in.

just find the cellular modem in the car that transmits all of that data and rip it out?

I wonder if manufacturers will start designing their cars in such a manner that removing the transmission module will fuck up the car in some way making it harder to modify.
If the data can be sold I can see it being done.

They probably have plans if not already implemented. They want it to be gradual so no one noticed. Boiling a frog analogy or something.

At the least they’ll absolve themselves. Well you opted out so we can help you. Who knows maybe your actions caused the vehicle unnecessary wear? Hmm? (^:

I’m willing to bet insurance will love this too. Well, you didn’t want Toyota collecting all your driving information so how are we to know who was at fault? Maybe someone did damage your car or maybe it was you committing insurance fraud? Hmm? (^: Why disable the features if you have nothing to hide? Seems to us only a criminal would care about privacy isn’t that right?

Welcome to the gulag motherfucker.

>a wild rainstorm appears!
bicycles are not an acceptable alternative to automobiles.

What happens if I pull out the modem in my car?
Will I void the warranty?

Also you're fucking retarded if you buy a post-EGR engine car (aka all cars since 2001).
Having your exhaust carbon soot get re-introduced back into the engine just to CLOG IT UP is the most blatant form of planned obsolescence after direct fuel injection.
It used to be that the detergent cleaners in gasoline would be sprayed directly onto the valves and it would keep them relatively clean, slowing the effects of EGR, but now the gasoline is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber, letting EGR fuck up your engine and requiring a goddamn valvetrain rebuild exactly when the powertrain warranty runs out.

*letting EGR clog up your valves with soot and requiring

My 1996 Honda Civic with V-TEC valve timing doesn't have this problem

Why didn't you get a university degree for free, instead?

>What happens if I pull out the modem in my car?
(1/1) A start job is running for networkmanager-modem.service... 32s / no limit

Attached: le binary log face.jpg (1204x803, 128K)

>mfw I work in the car industry and we are working on even worse stuff coming in the future

So figure out where the transmitter is, and put a faraday cage around it.

Good luck with isolating multiple on-board antennas

My 1997 Daewoo Tico doesn't have this problem

the modem is probably built into the core components of the car. Remove the modem and the whole mechanical system comes crashing down.

I fucking hate the car industry. They keep on adding totally useless shit that hikes the price, and costs a small fortune to fix when it breaks. The air pressure gauge that is installed into my fucking tires is what causes them to leak. It costs 300 to remove, or 600 to replace. I replaced it once, and it caused my tires to leak again like 2 months later. So I removed it, and the fucking car constantly beeps now, telling me that there's an error in my air pressure gauge.

You can just cut the antennas, can't you?

Oh believe me I want to quit working in this industry but it's rather lucrative. And yes pretty much everything is done in a way to milk the consumers.

They are etched onto the board as per regulation everytihng needs to be immovable. Sure you could destroy them (perhaps you might also need to remove resin), but doing so will lock you out of basically all features you've paid for (or might pay for in the future).

>Oh believe me I want to quit working in this industry but it's rather lucrative. And yes pretty much everything is done in a way to milk the consumers.
This is why my next car is just gonna be like a bare bones Honda Fit from like 2012 or something. Cheap, not loaded with features, and lasts forever.

You do realise that the features are still on board, do you? It's way cheaper to manufacture the cars in a way that all features are present, just disabled until you pay up of course - save for telemetry as disabling that one would be retarded.

To my knowledge, slightly older Hondas don't have any telemetry. Not a single model comes with like rear cameras, or OnStar, or a media center. I mean, if you can show me otherwise, I would be most appreciative.

>Employees from a service provider would look through the information of women they were interested in. They'd collect their nudes.
wtf i love toyota now

That might be the case I don't come into contact with Hondas, if that's true then o for it and stick with it as long as you can.
Any series offering such enhanced features should be avoided though.

do americans really have botnet cars?

>old vehicles are some of the most hated vehicles by consumers. See: 370Z
370z is relatively new, what are you on about man?

cars.com/research/honda-fit-2011/
Are there any red flags that you see in the overview here? Really appreciate you input.

this shit probably reduces costs to manufacturer because they can hoard and sell data on you

Nothing jumps out immediately, looks like this series is safe to buy. You might want to switch out the radio for an aftermarket one though. (Get one you can install a custom ROM on though, anything else would equate to manually installing botnet into your car)

Thanks. Appreciate it. Cheers, bud.

Tell me why I can't just find the antenna and put it in a faraday cage?

Aren't you able to find the transmitter?

Guys can you explain this website to me? By botnet do you mean non-free software? I bought a book about it recently but haven't read it yet, but I'm feeling thoroughly convinced deep in my heart of the free software movement but haven't taken action yet. How do I start?

This is a thread about cars, dude. We have a Friendly Linux Thread and a Stupid Questions thread constantly. We also have a Thinkpad General, which should answer all your questions about which laptop to get, as well as any repair questions.

This shit all comes about because of insurers. They want to save money on claims and recalls so they foist the cost of this tracking shit on the consumer. Medical insurers and government will start putting chips in your body to monitor what you do. Eat too many calories in one day? Well that increases your health risk and your premium goes up

The EU doesn't have this problem.

just buy a gps jamming device. or better yet, remove the gps chip. i thought i was on Jow Forums.

it won't be a choice soon because old cars are highly taxed and the government here wants to ban cars that run on fossil fuels in 10 years
Maybe not in countries who's economies rely solely on oil

This. And this is a huge problem as electric cars are basically useless in rural areas and rather grand in urbanised ones. The problem lies with charging those vehicles as you have plenty of room for your personal charging stations in rural areas and pretty much none in urbanised ones, wonder how this dilemma will turn out.

>cut antennas
>car gives errors
>something in your car inevitably fails
>insurance would pay for it because you ignored errors, even if the errors are 100% unrelated to whatever failed

I drive this. It's nice, it has a sensible gearbox and the suspension is basically nonexistent, but it makes for a fun ride.

It'll skip after 5 mins 15 secs, then, right?

>You're required to have a reversing camera
wait what? it's a requirement?
people don't rely on the reversing camera, do they?

>1:27/1:30
>1:28/1:30
>1:29/1:30
>1:30/3:00
>1:31/3:00

Attached: 1532159551486.jpg (857x1200, 101K)

We are fucked as a society. It's all your fucking fault, you fucking dumb kids and your smartphones. You're the ones that showed the government that people accept being fucking tracked and monitored everywhere you go.
You fucking dumbfucks. Do you see what this shit has brought us? Do you fucking finally get it now? It's not too late to change. Say fuck no. Refuse this shit. Now. Or it really will be too late.

Yes, all vehicles made after 2015/2016 have to have back-up cameras per the NHTSA. This includes trucks, buses, everything.

Rented a Ford Fiesta last year, had a 3" screen in the middle of the dash but they had it because it was required. Fucking government meddling.

Now people don't know how to back up without camera.
>t. patrician who always backs in with a 2007 civic

these botnets run off the cell network. typically verizon.

rented a VW SUV last year and it had this shit in it. the manual said all the telemetry was recorded and used the verizon network. so the SOS service was only available when verizon was available. which is pretty much all the time since they are probably an arm of the federal government.

i've only driven one car with a reversing camera, it's also the newest car i've driven, made in 2012
they're not useless, but they don't add anything you didn't get with the existing mirrors, if you can't reverse safely without it, you shouldn't be driving

Why not make your own?

Attached: e-bike rocket bike.jpg (2210x1105, 196K)

nobody has found or disabled the cell radio yet?

just wait, in the US the feds want to make the auto manufacturer's add reminders to drivers that there are people in the back seat when the car turns off. Millenial parents forget their kids are in the car during the summer and they die. Not kidding.

Cameras I think are for a similar reason, so you don't run over your kids when backing up.

>add reminders to drivers that there are people in the back seat when the car turns off. Millenial parents forget their kids are in the car during the summer and they die. Not kidding.
what the fuck man
i've heard of dogs being left in cars, but not kids

>so you don't run over your kids when backing up.
are you not taught to walk around your car before backing out in america?

>Cameras I think are for a similar reason, so you don't run over your kids when backing up.
I wish there was some way to make the car explode if you backed into a kid. The kid deserves to die for being a dumb shit and not getting out of the way, and the parent deserves to die for not being aware of their own fucking child's location. Just remove the dumb fucks from the gene pool.

>are you not taught to walk around your car before backing out in america?
We are. We also have a shit ton of really stupid people in the US. Think about how much the US spends on its military. We spend more than that on our welfare system, mostly subsidizing stupid people (the unlucky ones typically don't qualify).

>i've heard of dogs being left in cars, but not kids
autosafety.org/cas-kidsandcars-org-sue-dotnhtsa-force-action-rear-seat-belt-reminder-rule/

GM already brags that they have this "feature". All it does is put a text notification on the screen in the dashboard.

Buying new cars is retarded in any case. In a year it will lose more than half of its value. Absolute waste of money. Only good to attract thots.

>self driving cars logging each location you're going to/from
>try to get it to go somewhere
>we're sorry, but you haven't worked up enough carbon credits for this journey
>pops up with suggestions to walk or take the bus
>sit there in frustration
>car announces another person is requesting it to go to somewhere else
>have to get out before it drives off

Then I would just sit there.

Because the antenna is a trace on a PCB. It need not even be on the outer layers.

Opt-out data gathering is illegal under the new EU law GDARPA or what it's called.

You have to specifically opt-in
So this wouldn't fly here

that would be retarded to put the antenna on an inner layer especially for a cellular modem. when cell signal is at the noise floor already, 3dB of attenuation or more through FR-4 is not really desirable.

pling pling motherfuckers, freedom coming through

Attached: 7479a585ed94e34d6363c023a66876281380741717_full.jpg (599x400, 76K)

you opt in when you buy it

whats that plastic thing

So being able to hold people accountable during an accident investigation is bad how?

EGR is a necessary evil faggot. Cry more. You're as obnoxious as the diesel faggots who are buttmad about losing their mpg once illegal lean burning has been outed and their algae blooming fuel tanks from low sulfur diesel.

We live in a planet of near 10 billion people and these implementations have to exist to limit the damage of these shitty ass personal wastes of fuel.

When I get old, I will be very happy to have a self-driving car to take me places. Even if I don't have a driver's licence anymore. Think of the taxes you will save.

>drive by wire
>the gas pedal is connected to a computer via a sensor
>takes half a second to react after pressing the pedal
Computers for the masses were a mistake.