Why did Ada never catch on...

Why did Ada never catch on? It was zealously security focused but nobody outside of the US government even bothered with using it.

Attached: 1544008768395.png (1553x1685, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

enyo.de/fw/notes/ada-type-safety.html
dlang.org/spec/contracts.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not many people care about security

It was probably made by white males and also didn't move fast and break things.

Ada is unusable for general purpose programming. Most of the libraries are commercial and the language itself is unpleasant to write on.
Furthermore Ada is by design slow, for example due to its semantics simple things like copy elision cannot be optimized like LLVM does for Rust.

Stop speaking out your ass.

Initially Ada had very expensive compilers and C fags found it too difficult. There were other details like the guu of the quickshort algorithm destroying the language during his speech at the acm awards (he later regretted it, he said he didnt fully understand the language) and other unfortunate events. I once found an interesting article about the fall of Ada, but I cant find it now.
Had the language cached up the current panorama would be extremelly different for the better.

Unironically this.

Just look at the webdev crowd. It's 2019 and SQL injection should have been a nonissue for as long as PDO has been around. But just about every language has people on forums and Reddit looking to interpolate strings and sit around arguing that it's "probably OK".

>C fags found it too difficult.

I'm not convinced it's harder than C, although I know C and only skimmed some Ada

it is shit language

It's true. Ada is so shit that it is customary to use a subset of the language (aka SPARK) because of its flawed type system. Just like C, it's not even a joke.

AFAIK SPARK doesn't even let you have records with discriminants but I could be wrong. Here's an article describing Ada's type system flaw:
enyo.de/fw/notes/ada-type-safety.html

write in c, the government niggers use ada

Learn Lisp.

>Why did Ada never catch on?
Because:
" It was zealously security focused "

From why I understand Ada was designed for military embedded systems. Java superseded Ada many years ago.

For people who know Ada: How would you encourage someone with no knowledge of that language whatsoever to try and learn it?

I use both, and using SPARK for "normal" programing is like using a tank to go shopping.
Both have their use and is because of that they havent merged

This is a difficult one. The advantages of it can't be seem so fast.
If you start using it, it will remind you of every procedural language ever.
The standard library is nice and clean (the C++ std was inspired by it).
Generics are well done and powerfull, but nothing you can't find somewhere else.
Concurrency is great, so great than Go completelly copied a lot of it.
Except the contract programing you can basically find everything in new programing languages, so nowadays is not so impresive. 30 years ago though...

Thanks user for explaining.

>contract programing
>unique
dlang.org/spec/contracts.html

>nobody outside of the US government
Most of the people using Ada are outside of the US government.
France
Russia
Europe in General
Contractors that do US contracts
The biggest users of Ada right now are likely Europe at this point.

Not to mention the language was proprietary for decades with a HUGE cost of entry.
>Ada is unusable for general purpose programming.
This is simply wrong and an upset Rust fag. You can easily hook Ada into C and Java with ease these days. Adacore even provides tools to do it automatically. The language as a whole is no worse than writing Pascal which isn't hard to do at all. Your entire article about type safety is that Ada lets the programmer still have its balls to do whatever it wants and they can do dumb shit if they try unlike in Rust where you're balls are removed and you're forced to obey your BC and other rules.

At the end of the day Rust is not a certified language. Ada is and typically It's Ada 95/83, not SPARK which only came into existence many years later and now has caught on because of the proof tool it comes with. Anyone required certified work is still using Ada 83/95 / MISRA C / SPARK.

For users Ada 2012 is a fine language to work in and it's only going to get better with Ada 202x which is focused on lightweight parallelism whereas Tasks will still be for your typical heavyweight threads. The biggest flaw Ada has today is Adacore being the sole free compiler and having a big say in the committee. Those fucks were seriously talking about making the language more C friendly in the future because people are scared of writing english words. Little do they know it won't attract C programmers and just ruin the language.

>You can easily hook Ada into C and Java with ease these days
Why? Is it because Ada is shit and it has no free libraries?

Ada is dead, more dead than Rust. Nobody except tryhard autists use it.

Its syntax looks so much like Hoare pseudocode that only logicians liked it. Normal people just embraced C-like languages instead.

>every language has people on forums and Reddit looking to interpolate strings and sit around arguing that it's "probably OK".
Wait what. Really?
This can't be true. I was sure nobody was this retarded in 2019.

>new programming languages.
This is a good thing for Ada, because it's enough. There will be always new languages with new modern revolutionary features, but then you need to learn it and rewrite your project again. Maybe just use one language that's good enough and move on?

That would be the logical conclusion. But is not really valid in a industry that sees a new js framework everyfucking week

learn delphi/free pascal instead.

Much, much too verbose. Bad tooling. Bad GC when enabled. Not actually secure without the GC.

>Bad GC when enabled.
I dont even think there is a working GC version implemented in the compiler, I know it was in the original spec but no one used it.

>Not actually secure without the GC.
And there it is, you were a retard all along