From

From dwm.suckless.org/dynamic_window_management/
>Dynamic window management states that it is the window manager's job to manage windows - and not the user's job to have to set up some specialized layout that will only work for one specific work scenario.
>This has been the larswm motto for a long time. In contrast to static window management, the user rarely has to think about how to organize windows, no matter what he is doing or how many applications are running at the same time.
>The window manager adapts to the current environment and helps the user manage and mold it to his needs, rather than forcing it to use a preset, fixed layout and trying to shoehorn all windows and applications into it.

Sounds good, right? Well...

>install default dwm
>literally ONE actual tiling layout, which is the meme, inflexible master-stack paradigm which squishes slave windows anyway once you have more than 3-4 windows open on screen: literally no advantage over having a couple windows floating around, which however at least maintain their correct ratio
>same thing for derived wms such as awesome or xmonad, which however at least make adding layouts simpler

>inb4 b-but you have to patch it!!!!111
The aforementioned claims are quite bold. In order for them to hold, the finished product should actually deliver out of the box.
Instead, the window management it offers is incredibly static and inflexible, which still has you moving windows around anyway, moving them to other tags in order to avoid squishing them too much (because, for some bizarre reason, mouthbreathers believe minimizing windows "does not fit into the tiling paradigm", where it's actually more important than with floating windows, since the latter can just overlap).
Tiling window managers are truly a meme. Both dynamic and manual tiling ones, for different reasons.
Just use tiling for text-based tasks, using Emacs' built-in tiling or tmux, but don't extend it to your entire graphical working environment.

Attached: 1543360814747.png (1280x835, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html
github.com/mackstann/tinywm/blob/master/tinywm.c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dwm thread?

Attached: 2019-08-10_16:28:21.png (1920x1080, 288K)

Why do you use suckless if you don't like it?
It's like this for a reason, no one cares what you want.

Sorry your job can't afford to buy you three monitors to where that's never an issue. My screen real estate is massive at home and at work so tiling makes the most sense.

If I am using a laptop, I'll set the stacking option so everything is full screen.

>the finished product should actually deliver out of the box.
looks like someone doesn't understand the point of suckless software.

suckless is made for OpenBSD only faggots.

I'll have to agree. Not to mention that on those screenshots where people are actually doing something productive with a tiling window manager and not just showing their riced out shit, it's always just some terminals and/or some purely text-based applications.
Plus, you're going to find poor gentlemen such as who will go through hoops and workarounds in order to justify their inferior window management.
>3 monitors
>all fullscreen
Just get a single, reasonably sized monitor and float your shit. It's better in every way.

dwm is especially brilliant, as it manages to crash when doing something as simple as changing resolution with xrandr.

Window Maker > every single tiling wm out there.

You didn't even read what I wrote. I didn't say all 3 monitors are set to full screen.

Also fuck you I'll do what I am comfortable with instead. It's obvious you've never had to have 15+ programs open at a time at work. Floating all those becomes a cluster fuck. I can only imagine how clusterfucked the rest of your life is if you're actually comfortable with that.

Xah was right once again.
xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html

> Dynamic window management states that it is the window manager's job to manage windows

Fuck off. I want to control my window layout, not to have some retarded wm control it for me.

Also, when windows are resized, the content inside will start scrolling in an unpredictable way. Nobody wants that.

are you a female

wrong. i3 is good

fe(male)

reminder that window management peaked with ion3

do you have a pussy

ITT: Hypocrites get called out

>the finished product should actually deliver out of the box.
You didn't get the point of suckless software.

>>The window manager adapts to the current environment and helps the user manage and mold it to his needs, rather than forcing it to use a preset, fixed layout and trying to shoehorn all windows and applications into it.
That is LITERALLY what dwm does, it HELPS the user to create what he wants. Nowhere does it claim to be perfect for every user, nor that it has sane defaults.
It claims to be a BASIS upon which the user can build whatever he wants.

> the window management it offers is incredibly static and inflexible
It is exactly as flexible as you make it, dwm is extremely flexible just apply patches/edit the source.

>which still has you moving windows around anyway
Because you didn't configure it in any way in which it would be possible to not move windows around.
The way in which this work is to think about layout for specific tasks, then you create one layout which you use, eg. for programming in which the windows are arranged in a specific way.

> (because, for some bizarre reason, mouthbreathers believe minimizing windows "does not fit into the tiling paradigm", where it's actually more important than with floating windows, since the latter can just overlap).
This is absurd.
Just create a "hidden" tag and a keyboard shortcut to send a window to the "hidden" tag, you have fundamentally misunderstood the point of associating every window with a "workspace".

>I'll have to agree. Not to mention that on those screenshots where people are actually doing something productive with a tiling window manager and not just showing their riced out shit
Because people post these screenshots to show of. I did pretty much all of my university work in tiling wms for years.

>it's always just some terminals and/or some purely text-based applications.
Because it "looks cool" and work stuff usually looks pretty boring.

Dwm is for aspies too poor to use anything but a 2012 Fagpad.

OBSD users wouldn't ever touch suckless trash. It's literally made for GNU skidies.

>OBSD users wouldn't ever touch suckless trash. It's literally made for GNU skidies.
Not true, actually. GNU software is the antithesis of Suckless, and Suckless shits on GNU all the time.

>hurr durr you don't understand the point of suckless software
What is it, then? Circlejerking over muh pseudominimalism?
>inb4 it's patching
Then don't make such absurd claims in your website when the software, as-is, doesn't even deliver what is reported.
Also, reminder that all software can be "configured via source code" as long as it's FOSS.
>b-but it's too many lines!
Then stop using C, which forces you to compromise on features in order to reach a somewhat manageable codebase.
Plus, dwm's source code is "not bloated" only because it's small: the actual structure is a mess.

I've been using GNOO/Loonix for almost 10 years and I've never even bothered to learn how to use tiling window managers.

If anything I just boot Emacs and execute everything from there - like w3m for a browser. Most I need on an environment like these is the terminal and a text-editor anyways.

For me it just seems like a waste of time animefags like to put their time on. Some day in the future I'll install bspwm just to see what it truly is like but before that I'll stick to xfwm4.

Check bspwm OP

Is this a new dwm desktop thread?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-10_20-06-06.png (5760x2160, 1.47M)

>suckless

out of all things available you installed one of the more 'by autists for autists' solutions, literal lego constructor starter hobby kit in terms of software, and now are complaining.
may as well complain that gentoo or lfs does not work out of the box for you either.

>If anything I just boot Emacs and execute everything from there - like w3m for a browser. Most I need on an environment like these is the terminal and a text-editor anyways.
I do the same: Emacs is pretty much my "internal" tiling wm for text-based stuff, but it runs inside a floating wm.
I see no point in extending tiling to inherently graphical applications such as image editors or DAWs. Plus, in those cases I actually *want* my windows to overlap, so the problem that tiling wms claim to solve effectively doesn't exist for me.
If anything, tiling such windows just distorts them, making them more impractical to use and actually forcing me to rearrange more often than with a floating wm, where i can just Alt-Tab to them and have then pop up with the correct proportions already.

Attached: file_25.png (529x854, 579K)

Most other tiling wms fail in the same way, but dwm is especially hilarious for its pretentious homepage.

All I want out of a WM is floating windows; I can setup everything else with separate applications. That's it. Why doesn't Suckless make a Openbox clone instead, surely that would be smaller?

If that is what you want, then you dont need a window manager at all. Xorg is a floating window manager by default and allows you to move window with alt+left mouse button. You would just need a bind to close the window, in which case you dont need more code than this:
github.com/mackstann/tinywm/blob/master/tinywm.c

dwm is what happens when you show Plan 9's rio to some Linux hackers and they try to clone it without actually understanding any of what makes it a good window manager

>Also, reminder that all software can be "configured via source code" as long as it's FOSS.
Good luck configuring Gnome, KDE, firefox or blender by source idiot.

This guy's right.
Rio Is the perfect modern Windows manager.
It's the only wm that doesn't try to guess where to draw new winsows instead It let you decide It.
It is also a very food example of how to make use of the mouse effectively.
It will make you reconsider keyboard driven wm

Plan 9 is still more Bell Labs garbage, step off of your high horse.

Yeah, forks do exist y'know.

>linux hackers
Most of Suckass uses BSD variants.
Also, Linux is a kernel.

Who cares you absolute fucking nolifer.
Use something else.

Again, good luck. Pretending that there is any equivalency between the ease of editing dwm's source and forking Gnome is retarded.

Yeah fuck Bell labs with their stupid transistor and such