What laptop does Jow Forums use and how do you like it?

What laptop does Jow Forums use and how do you like it?
I just got a new Acer Aspire 5, seems pretty nice

Attached: Acer_Aspire_A515-52G_02.jpg (1200x1200, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-14-Thinkpad-T450s-2-20GHz-CORE-i5-5200U-8GB-256GB-SSD-W10P-20BWCTO1WW/372727481005?hash=item56c84a02ad:g:VHcAAOSwlZldCUTG&LH_BIN=1
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440-Core-i5-4300U-1-9GHz-8Gb-128Gb-SSD-1600x900-Webcam/163681625447?hash=item261c2f6567:g:vvEAAOSwRONc4sXw
ebay.es/itm/Refurbished-Laptop-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-Laptop-i5-5300U-2-20Ghz-8GB-240GB-SSD-HD/323323223175?hash=item4b4790dc87:g:LXoAAOSwRe9c3BeB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shitty ideapad and no i don't

which specs does it have and how much did you pay?
what do you not like about it?

Lenovo S330
Love the build quality, tolerate the performance, and absolutely hate the screen. Then again it's impossible to find a Chromebook with a decent display that isn't the Chromebook Pixel.

Thinkpad A485 its great

Thinkpad X220-chan

Precision 7510 and it's awesome

i3 7020, 4gb ram and 1tb hdd storage. i wanted to get a laptop for university because i can't take my desktop to the university lol. so my dad told me he can get it for cheap at that place (it wasn't cheap) So i agreed.
it was for 300~ usd which is fine but i could have gotten something better for 300

lenovo ideapad but not for long it seems
fucking hinges or something broke
keeps pushing the bezel off
now the lcd screen is slowly but surely cracking and I can't do shit until the 20th
[spoiler]I'm exageratting a bit, the screen isn't cracked theres just some unexplainable preassure on the screen that keeps it black that I can solve through massage[/spoiler]

Attached: 2019-08-10-22-10-39.jpg (1600x1200, 462K)

ThinkPad T430, works for my needs.

My entire g50-45 ideapad screen hinge is broken off the metal things connecting it to base on top of that the shitty bezels broke in half. Screen still functions but its absolute garbage and forced to use it stationary. Honestly laptops are all shit. Best computers are custom built desktops easily.

does it have an acceptable display at least?
if it does it might be worth it to upgrade it with another 4GB of RAM and an SSD instead of the HDD
should cost less than 100 bucks and would make your laptop much faster, definitely worth it.
do you have shitty 768p screens or 1080p? the 768p on my last laptop was one of the main reasons why I upgraded
how's the build quality on ideapads?

I had a Toshiba with a 3rd gen i7. Can't remember what model it was or else I'd have gotten a second one. Thing was a tank and survived more than I thought it would. It could handle just about anything I needed for a while. Even performed well with games despite only having integrated graphics. Got it for around $300 at the time.

absolute shit
I am this user

I've got an x220, so without soldering shit I can't upgrade past 768p. I swapped out for an IPS panel though, and it looks fine

My experience is Lenovo makes crappy products. Never had serious problems with other laptops.
>Honestly laptops are all shit. Best computers are custom built desktops easily.
That's obvious. But when you have to travel and use a computer you don't have a choice.

pretty much
none of my laptops seem to work for longer than 2 years
can't really afford a desktop bit even if I could it'd be useless since I use my laptop more when I'm not at home than when I am

ThinkPad X220, the only upgrade I've done is to 6gb of ram and an SSD, the whole thing works fine, the screen is fine for general stuff and watching Anime

All in all its the best laptop I've ever had

Attached: c994278.jpg (500x776, 73K)

Really struggling to find a laptop at the moment lads, everything is so fucking expensive in the UK
Dell XPS13 is pretty much idea for what I want but the model I want is £400 more expensive here than in the US
Fucking shambles

Work on laptops for a living, my experience has been that anything that's not hp is alright and anything made by hp will break its hinges within 6 months
Own a Lenovo y50 and aside from the awful screen (easy to replace) it's pretty good, does everything I want from it pretty snappily

2014 macbook air
it’s ok, not amazing
once it’s dropped for OS support, i’ll toss linux on it

Thinkpad T420 for heavy 'desktop' usage like watching HQ videos and such, and a Chromebook 3 for everything else. But I'm trying save a bit of money here and there to buy something a bit more 'modern'.

what features do you need?
if you're not that concerned about performance and just want sth that's good enough for browsing and watching videos, I'd recommend a used Thinkpad
either an X250, T450, T450S or X1 Carbon. Or the respectively newer generations. Make sure they have at least 8GB RAM and an SSD. Also, I'd look only for models with 1080p screens, 768p is shit, just came from a 768p laptop.
the build quality on Thinkpads is great, you won't have to worry about damaging anything, they keyboards are great, their backlit, and you can easily upgrade them.
used or refurbished models I mentioned should be available on Ebay for 300-400€

been trying to find a decent all around laptop for IT classes, I need at least 8gb of ram but i'd prefer more, struggling to find something good as i'm on a budget, lookin to spend around 300-320 usd. any help would be appreciated

T430 master race.

Lenovo E490

Go dumpster diving, upgrade the RAM yourself with the $300

Panasonic CF-C1 mk2 12", i5-2520m, 8gb ram, 120mb ssd, touch+wacom, 4g wwan, gps, dual 4 cell battery, car charger, win7
Gets shit done, cooling is abysmal for that cpu tho.

I just travel a lot for work and need something tanky but portable that won't die on it's arse in 6 months, doesn't need to be amazing specs, not doing any high powered shit on it
I'll have a look on ebay at what you suggested, sounds pretty good
Thanks man

have been using Acer Aspire E5 for 3 years, i5-5300, 4gb, 5400rpm, 1366x768. After installing linux there was no problem with performance, at least for xfce.. the highest issue I had was the screen, it had utter shit resolution plus it was 15,6inch work station.
Just a month ago I bought used thinkpad t460s, it's light somewhere around 1,3-1,5 kg compared to 2,2 acer aspire. It also has got full hd ips screen. Besides the heat and 160gb ssd I am quite happy for the purchase.

Use a Fujitsu T1010, 4gb ram and a core 2 duo running void
Ccfl screen sucks and needs replacement, battery needs replacement, but the os itself is fucking snappy

e7250
I like it

how was the Acer's build quality long term?
I just got a new Acer and somehow it doesn't feel as sturdy as my old Dell Latitude, wouldn't wanna throw it around like the old laptop
but maybe that's just because it's new

X220T and it's ok I guess. I only got it because of its tablet screen despite the fact I would never make any meaningful use out of it.

I have a 900p screen I think, I mostly have it plugged into my external so I dont even know precisely.

>XPS 13
>i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1080p
Linux runs flawlessly on this thing.
I get almost 10 hours of actual usable battery life on it doing web-dev-code-monkey shit.
I can actually play Stellaris and some other light vidya on it.

9/10

Only fault: keyboard doesn't have the greatest feel. I prefer something clicky-feeling like the new macbook keyboards. But macs are gay and overpriced.

how much did it cost?

>Alienware M18xR2
>Inspiron 1721
>Latitude D830 x2
>Latitude D600
>Compaq Evo N620c
They're awesome considering I got them for super cheap. Don't buy laptops new.

Attached: 20190810_163745.jpg (4032x2268, 2.87M)

Oh, one other fault: it has Intel's Management Engine AIDS on it and no truly open-source firmware is available (not that I could ever really trust that the ME was disabled).
This doesn't really factor into my score because _all_ laptops suffer from this problem (even Purism's laptops still actually have the ME on them).

I bought it used for $700 on ebay.

Dell XPS 13. I like it but its battery doesn't last that long.

So you got the 4k meme?
I had both. The 4k used up juice way too fast and didn't even look any better than the 1080p and required messing with the scaling to even read text on it.

4k indeed. Really didn't think it through and now I have to live with my bad decision a couple of years.

Worse things have happened than to have too much resolution

A Thinkpad T480 with Fedora 30.

Lenovo Legion Y530 base model

Stock setup was a bit shit, but the major components are solid. Replaced the 5400 hard drive with SSD, upgraded ram to 32gb, and replaced realtek network card with intel. Bought laptop on sale so even after upgrades the price was still reasonable.

Thermals are not bad for a gaming laptop after adjusting CPU power limits/etc.

Overall pretty happy. Wanted a portable gaming machine as I am moving around on a daily/weekly basis for around a year+, and performance exceeded my expectations. I basically don't keep any data on this at all other than gaming stuff so hardware/software security isn't a concern to me.

pic related for 100 burgers

slow as hell but it's good enough for its purpose
over-tightened screw?

Attached: thinkpad x131e.png (640x500, 108K)

I got one of those 2 years ago, for the price it’s pretty based. I’m kinda starting to regret cheaping out and going with an i3 instead of i5 though.

ROG G531

desu it looks cool. reminds me of the 12 inch powerbook g4

Aspire 3 with Ryzen.
It is OK. I think I will update BIOS soon.

I fell for the 4k meme as well. Should have done 1080p

Should've gotten a Thinkpad

>Microsoft Surface Laptop 2

Attached: 20190731_095318.jpg (4032x3024, 3.03M)

Dell XPS 15 2019, arriving next week hopefully

I've been thinking about upgrading for awhile now, currently stuck on a shitty $500 HP affair from 2011.

Anyone know what the best laptop displays are at around 1080p, maybe around 1440p at the most resolution? I game a little so higher refresh rate and g-sync *or adaptive sync if AMD gpu) would be nice, but most important is image quality.

>2019
>still running windows

Just placed an order for the thinkpad X1 Extreme. Wanted to go with a desktop replacement, since I'm no longer gaymen on my current desktop.
Anyone have thoughts on what dock I should consider? Was def. thinking TB3 options...

Lenovo P50. Was making a weird pop noise on sleep when i first got it. I suspect some built-up static was discharging through the speakers.... updated my drivers and fixed everything. Been great since. no complaints at all (aside from windows auto update/restart wrecking all my simulations)

Elitebook 8770w. I fucking love it.

Attached: neofetch.png (1600x900, 2.02M)

Is DELL G3 3579 any good? Or any alternative for price around $900-950.

dell g5, i7 8750H, 32gb RAM, 512 ssd + 2tb hdd, 1050ti

I don't game, I use it for uni, I like it so much that I sold my tower and now the laptop is my daily driver

A fully upgraded W530 is my main computer. With an external monitor, 2nd HDD in the CD slot, external drive, mechanical keyboard, and mouse, it is the best desktop set up I've ever had. It doesn't move, so it's really more like a permanent desktop. It still handles lots of multitasking and everything that I need to do.

I also have a smaller X250 running Debian 10 that I use when I leave the house.

Attached: serienbild.jpg (800x600, 228K)

Moved overseas to work for a year or two, so I got a clevo rebrand laptop for muh gaming and muh compute shit.
I like it

Well it's all plastic. I carried it to school daily and it lasted, no scratches anywhere.

At least this thing comes out of the box with a legit kernel

Attached: pissoffnormies.jpg (1440x960, 56K)

MacBook Pro retina 2012 and a ThinkPad t420

Continuing
The only issue I have had were hinges that were cracking when I was opening/closing the lid.

xps 15 4k

2012 macbook pro a1278 because I wanted to try the mac meme and I started really liking it.

Anyone here use a TB3 dock? Recommendations?

Elitebook 840 g5. Found new at half the consumer price from a enterprise reseller. Best laptop I ever had

What distro(s) are you running?

I use 2018 MacBook Air retina, I like it much, sir.
Please do the needful

MBP "15 and I enjoy it quite a bit

HP pavilion 15. The i5 cpu and the gtx is a fucking beast but the shitty hdd is bottlenecking the system.

Switch to SSD, it should be fairly easy and cheap

I'm planning on doing that, it's a very good thing the laptop supports m.2.

Got myself a cheap-ish Thinkpad in January. Wanted something that just werks(TM) with any Linux distro and possibly OpenBSD, if the time comes.
Nice enough for programming and anything else. It's probably even good enough for any gaming I do, but I got my other PC for that.
Pretty happy with it so far. I just wish I hadn't fallen for the non-glare display meme.

which Thinkpad did you buy?

Acer VN7 591G. It's alright but a bit old. Battery has degraded but I almost never use it on battery anyway. Looking for something with over 4 cores but also wary of constantly degrading performance of Intel due to security mitigations. Probably will just wait one more year for Zen2 APUs.

Attached: 1547538475487.png (600x400, 373K)

My old Inspiron only supported HDD size SSD with the old SATA connector, Still it sped things up considerably, Win7 started in 6 seconds, as in becoming usable after 6s from cold start. On HDD it is doing things for minutes. Sadly, like all Windows, a few seasonal updates later it slowed to a crawl of ~15s. Trying a linux install confirmed it is still as fast as new, so it is definitely Windows that is doing something to slow the computers down.
I'm on a mac now and not looking back.

X240
got it with 8GB ram, 1366x768 display and 180GB SSD

swapped SSD for an 512GB one and display with Full HD

There is always a choice.

An E480. Seems they have since been superseded. No amazing stats (8GB, 256GB SSD) but plenty for me as a mobile (non-Java(script)) programming machine.

What's the best laptop I can buy for 200$?
I just want it to be lightweight, have a decent CPU and I don't mind integrated graphics as long as it is DX12 and I can play shitty games on it.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-14-Thinkpad-T450s-2-20GHz-CORE-i5-5200U-8GB-256GB-SSD-W10P-20BWCTO1WW/372727481005?hash=item56c84a02ad:g:VHcAAOSwlZldCUTG&LH_BIN=1

What if I'm in europe?

Huawei Matebook X Pro
First time using a 13 inch laptop. Always thought I'd hate the tiny screen (used to have a massive 18.4inch MSI thing) but it's been awesome.
I carry it around in a camera bag while working and edit photos on it on location. Then plug it into an eGPU with a mouse, keyboard and 32in monitor when I get home.
I should have bought a small laptop years ago.

Also, the combo of awesome battery life and 3000x2000 resolution is fantastic.

HP pavilion 15t

32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD, but 768p panel and no backlit keyboard irritates me

Otherwise great little machine

Thinkpad X230.
My only problems are the ~8 hour battery life and the 1366x768 screen but I can live with the battery life by bringing a charger and I'm probably just going to do the FHD mod at some point.
Other than that's it's real nice.

why do you ask for $ then?
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440-Core-i5-4300U-1-9GHz-8Gb-128Gb-SSD-1600x900-Webcam/163681625447?hash=item261c2f6567:g:vvEAAOSwRONc4sXw

>doesn't ship to Spain
well fuck

Dragon's Dogma was a fun game

ebay.es/itm/Refurbished-Laptop-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-Laptop-i5-5300U-2-20Ghz-8GB-240GB-SSD-HD/323323223175?hash=item4b4790dc87:g:LXoAAOSwRe9c3BeB

4th gen x1 carbon
comfy af

Attached: csm_MG_8235_00fbb16765.jpg (1622x1080, 471K)

Aorus x3 on it's last legs. needs a replacement but I've given up on my laptop hunt this year. waiting for ice lake xps models

Maxed out T480 except for screen. Suck my cock laptoplets.

X270, it's pretty awesome.

thinkpad x230 and huawei matebook d 14