I still don't understand how X and Xorg and Wayland and config files work...

I still don't understand how X and Xorg and Wayland and config files work, even after reading a lot of books about Linux and being command line proficient for 4 years.
Why is Linux so hard? I was always that kid in school and college that people would turn to for computer problems but since I started using Linux 4 years ago I often doubt myself being smart and consider myself to be a complete retard when it comes to computers
How do I TRULY familiarize myself with Linux, to a point where I am the one in control of my system like when I was a windows user -/anything I wanted I could easily do but now everything I want is a struggle to get half of the feature I seek. Not talking about 3rd party software, i have windows for that. I mean setting my computer to work like I want it to or if I want to do something like use raw mouse input I can without having to change my mouse driver or having to use a completely different input package to be able to rebind keys on my keyboard or make shortcuts etc.
I feel like I am Linux's bitch when I use it. I don't feel like the user telling the computer what to do exactly. I feel like I am asking the computer to do things and it only does some of those things and not exactly the way I want it to
I just want to understand it

Attached: 1563938526401.jpg (680x670, 50K)

Linux is not for everyone.
Keep using windows and stop caring.

Freedom doesn't come for free.

linux desktop is a rube goldberg machine

>i have windows for that
This is why. You don't have to really learn it because you have a fallback for whenever you don't get how to do something.

But I do care.
The days of good windows are almost over, and my current laptop doesn't even support 7 so its always been a Linux machine.
I have a fallback for when a program does not have Linux support.
Files literally do not leave my windows computer, its only for games and 3d modelling because CG tools on Linux are limited. I'm not going to refuse a program when I need a specific program that does something other programs dont.
everything else I do from business to personal computing is done painfully on my Linux machine because I want my privacy where I can get it.
Not to mention Maya uses chromium botnet so the windows machine is more of a botnet container than anything else.

>I want to be in total control of my OS
>I also hate putting in work to configure my system

Attached: 1548070919487.png (730x780, 524K)

"The Linux Desktop" is a huge mess right now. There are lots of infighting factions that make everything unnecessary complicated.
Wayland fags against X11 fags, Gnome fags against KDE fags.
Super smart, capable, vastly experienced chads against people that think using systemd is is a good idea.
And beyond that the army of tiling wm ricers.

If you want to be cool join the latter and start ricing your tiler. It's the best way to getting into the whole mess.

>>I also hate putting in work to configure my system
Ive read a lot of books, tinkered with the options so much, and scoured forums for ages on and off for 4 years but the OS still confuses me
Shut up nigger I haven't just rocked up last night I am genuinely having problems learning and need to take a different approach but I don't know what
Literally shut the fuck up you fat fucking faggot, eat a sausage of shit furfag

I used to feel this sort of burnout before, I don't know what happened but I don't feel like that anymore. I used to spend too much time reading documentations and trying to make everything right. I think I just stopped caring and just use shit half broken 90% of the time now. You can't now everything about Linux because every hour new shit comes out. You just learn the tools that are useful for you and forget about the rest.

>can't know
Fix'd

>Literally shut the fuck up you fat fucking faggot, eat a sausage of shit furfag
Based. Also, as other pointed out, Linux desktops have a ton of problems. Period. You're not the only one having problems. There are a few people that made a lifestyle out of them and they scream louder over the internet.

OP your post just sounds like a massive "why won't Linux just werk" rant, which is why it's attracting low-quality inflammatory comments.
The TL;DR for your problem is: read the fucking manual. No one cares if you were the computer kid in high school. Unix isn't something you "just get" just from being good with computers; you'll have to put in some effort. If you have a *specific* problem, then ask here or on IRC and I guarantee you'll get help but vague posts along the lines of "oh boy I don't get linux config files plz to help" won't get you anywhere. Unless your post is very subtle bait, in which case, carry on.

Attached: 1564802801069.jpg (766x960, 57K)

This is what fears me
Learning how to use the OS, and by the time I have mastered it, theres new shit out.
I think my problem here is not that I don't understand Linux (I do), but that I don't understand all the fucking applications that are built on top of each distribution.
I'm just sick of the Linux ecosystem and I really can't wait for something like reactOS to start becoming viable so at least there's a standard for how everything should be done and my competence or knowledge in a system isn't made redundant overnight.

I think I'm going to go back to being a windowsfag. Not because I'm a loser and giving up, but because I value my time.
Besides, the enterprise versions of windows don't have half as much spying and can be "optimized" and debotnetted, kinda
Thank god thinks like /fwt/ started popping up, honestly

So, GNU/Linux/Unix is the wild wild west of computing, right?
No standards that are followed, everything works in its own alien ways?
Also, I do fucking read - manuals, books, forums, everywhere. No matter what I read, I can never wrap my head around anything FULLY. I know windows inside and out, because everything has been done for the same way for years, and every software conforms to the OS, instead of changing the OS around you so that it works properly.

Or you can do what I did:
I wrote my own Windowmanager which started as DWM and now has transformed into my personal full featured Desktop of perfection.
Since it is now finished I didn't touch the code for at least the last four years (except for some small bug fixes).
Most stable system ever.

Just use Mate. That shit is based on the old gnome and didn't change much in years.
If you are a Windows user you probably will right at home.

Your problem seems to be that you are a fucking retard. Maybe consider not being fucking stupid?

Based af. One day I will get around rewriting the entire GNU system my own way just so I can get shit can work.

He doesn't want to invest in a unstable, ever changing mess of non/defacto standards.
Which is actually smart.

The only correct answer. It's difficult because nothing makes a lick of sense. The whole thing is a few decades of legacy where everyone did what they wanted to.

>Also, I do fucking read - manuals, books, forums, everywhere. No matter what I read, I can never wrap my head around anything FULLY. I know windows inside and out, because everything has been done for the same way for years, and every software conforms to the OS, instead of changing the OS around you so that it works properly.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (1597x1600, 627K)

>The whole thing is a few decades of legacy where everyone did what they wanted to
Sadly, this is very accurate.

Linux is nonfree.

but you can write your own shell for windows too and it's easier

linux is intentionally complicated and retarded. it was never meant for the every day user. ever. and it never will be. everything is a massive fucking pain in the ass, that's why it's peoples jobs to set up and maintain enterprise linux use, because it's so fucking retarded. good for what it's used, but not good TO use

omg I hate Jow Forums now

He's right though. You could grab a win32 developer from 2001 and bring them into 2019 and they could write desktop applications for Windows 10 immediately. This is because Windows was engineered with a consistent vision (at the programming level, the UI has been a disaster but it doesn't really matter for compat).

Attached: 1541346079957.png (960x1038, 60K)

linux is to computers what hobby cars are to car enthusiasts. it'll never run the way you want it to, you will forever be tinkering with it, you're considered proficient if you can break less than you fix, but you will inevitably end up breaking things nonetheless. linux is quite literally a hobby, it'll consume your time, and your patience, for negligible reward. "Mastery" of linux in general usually means you have succesfully built a system that has the same functionality as windows, just with a million fucking autistic workarounds so when people point out that linux isn't good because it shouldn't take sixteen years to find drivers for what you're trying to do they can screech about how easy it was, even though they probably spent hours, days, and weeks, getting something to work that comes standard on windows or mac. not to say it's not a fun hobby, but it's a hobby, nothing more. and before some nigger says

YEAH BUT BUT MUH SUPERCOMPUTERS
BUT BUT BUT MUH SERVERS

enterprise computing is nothing like personal computing, and unless you're running a supercomputer or server OS on your personal computer you can't use these excuses as to why linux is worthwhile.

> linux
We are talking about the linux DESKTOP. That is indeed totally retarded. The main reason is Gnome. Which had a perfect Desktop at Gnome 2 but then decided to throw everything away and invent the pile of garbage called Gnome 3 and made everything old, working, trusted and tested incompatible to the new shit nobody asked for.
So blame Gnome and not Linux. As long as you stay in the command line Linux is great. Mostly because it is a bad version Unix, which is still a billion times better than Windows.

> and it's easier
Not really. X11 is actually documented really, really well and is a rather sane architecture.
The trash of "GUI Toolkits" like Gtk or QT threw it all away and are responsible for all the garbage happening at the Linux Desktop.

*cracks open a monster*
Ahh, nothing like sitting down to read the bible on a Saturday evening.
*siiiiiiiip*

>stay in the command line and it's great
you literally couldn't possibly be more of a fucking retard

i was talking about the linux desktop you fucking autist, if you think the problems there started with gnome3, then it's pretty clear you're about 16 years old

>How do I TRULY familiarize myself with Linux, to a point where I am the one in control of my system like when I was a windows user -/anything I wanted I could easily do but now everything I want is a struggle to get half of the feature I seek. Not talking about 3rd party software, i have windows for that. I mean setting my computer to work like I want it to or if I want to do something like use raw mouse input I can without having to change my mouse driver or having to use a completely different input package to be able to rebind keys on my keyboard or make shortcuts etc.
>I feel like I am Linux's bitch when I use it.

You must be looking too deep to get these things done

I can tell you keybinds are easy as fuck in KDE. I have not needs to record the raw import of the mouse in sure it can't be that hard to get it from the system.

>Wayland fags against X11 fags
That's not an actual fight though

Attached: 1563177723945.jpg (881x1024, 52K)

It actually started with ALSA and the flood of IOCTLS that came after it.
This is what makes Linux bad even at the command line.

If you don't understand that the command line is much more powerful than any GUI can ever be, you should not use a Computer at all.
Go back to your iPhone, retard.

It is. Just because some X11 develovers are traitors doesn't mean that there are vast amounts of productive X11 users absolutely dependent on many of its features that are happy to continue the support of X11.
Wayland is exactly what Gnome tranny would do: Destroy a perfectly working system (X11) and replace it with something totally incompatible for the sake of it (Wayland) with no actual benefit for the user (not even performance).

>omg I hate Jow Forums now
No you don't.

Attached: last_night.jpg (1147x716, 502K)

Wayland is X11's successor.

dilate

You wish.
More than 10 years in development and still nobody except trannies using it.

i've been using xorg and linux altogether mainly for about 7 years now and i literally have never ever had an issue with it, even on my current lfs based custom distro. i'm not baiting but even though i've used fucking weird hardware, it worked just fine. am i just lucky with xorg or are you guys doing something wrong?

Attached: 2019-08-11_12-32-36am_maimcrop.png (236x148, 3K)

>funny pol word
HAHAHAHAHA YOURE ARE SO FUNNY HAHAHAHAHHA
AHHHHHHHHHH

HAAAAAAA
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>You wish.
I don't really care, if I'm being completely honest

Xorg is perfectly fine. Just the stuff runing ON xorg is a mess.
Except you write your own window manager of course.

with that as well, i've used cinnamon when i first got introduced, then xfce/openbox/bspwm and i've been using vanilla i3 for about a year now, not a single problem expect minor tearing on full-screen when i use the modesetting i915 instead of xf86-video-intel.

they don't work, that's the catch

>muh power
i mean this literally and unironically when i say, you are the problem with the linux community

you should stop proving to everyone how fucking stupid you are. started with ALSA? come back to this board when you're over 18.

we are all 'retired' (under-employed)

screenshots or it didn't happen

Windows having ootb support for devices or 3rd party apps that configure your system for you doesn't reflect on your abilities, but those of others. You stand on the shoulders of giants, but fail to acknowledge it. Your hubris is the problem. Linux is beyond the scope of your intellect, but you think you have "control" in Windows? Do you even understand how a Windows system works under the hood? Are you tweaking the registry by hand, repairing library links, and writing batch scripts? If so, then I don't know what you find baffling about Linux. If anything, it's simpler on that level, provided you learn the tools your distro came with.

cringe

Attached: 1545224981105.png (1600x900, 397K)

I feel you, but don't give up
If you find good docs and examples of configurations you can figure things out.
Also check the arch wiki, it is nicely written.

>arch wiki
>nicely written
oh boy

holy shit this thread
what are you niggers doing on your computers that you have to tinker with the OS all day? time traveling?
I'm in front of my computer around 12 hours everyday and the only hardcore underground Linux hacking I've done since installing Fedora 2 years ago was changing the wallpaper and GTK theme

yes
>oh boy.
Do you mean anything by this boomer code phrase?
Please expand your thoughts.

I'm absolutely right, you faggots. Driving an automatic doesn't mean you know how to shift gears.

Speaking the truth.

and taping tires to your hands and feet so you can roll around on them does't make you a car, what's your point? all you've proven is not only are you a mouth breathing brain dead fuckweed, but you're also a cringey fedora wearing cocksucker as well

i know you just started using linux yesterday and you think the arch wiki is (((((well written))), but consider this: kill yourself

Ok, you are just retarded.

Been using linux since 2003, compiling my own kernel on slackware, than you very much you dumb kid.

Does your mom know you talk this way on the anonymous forums? Isn't it way past your bedtime?

dilate

There's no need to know that crap if you don't want to.