Three browser tabs

>three browser tabs
>gimp
>three terminal windows
>a simple text editor
>337MB of RAM

What do you fags need 16GB of RAM for? Holy fucking shit.

Attached: 2019-08-10-222916_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 169K)

>one instance of chrome with one tab
>20 GB, swapping

I have got out of memory with 96gb of ram while compiling chromium

>>three browser tabs
>>gimp
>>three terminal windows
>>a simple text editor
MB of RAM
>What do you fags need 16GB of RAM for? Holy fucking shit.

You sound like my boss. I showed him how dot net core host takes 5GB+ RAM but he won't listen...

Pic unrelated, Nayeon of twice

Attached: 7yjo87q4iif31.jpg (4096x3349, 1.03M)

normalfags needs ram to acomodate their office suite, their adobe suite and their botnet services, aswell as 20+ facebook tabs with infinite scroll

Currently I'm using 8.6GB of my 16GB RAM. 1.5GB for GNOME, 7.1 for 32 ffmpeg instances running in the background.

Obviously, I'm just talking about normalfags. I have seen NEETs here saying they need 8GB of RAM to run a web browser.

Eh. For whatever reason, memory usage is pretty efficient in Linux, *especially* for browsers.

Like, I push maybe 2.7GB of RAM with 20 tabs open on Chromium. I know, from experience, that it'd be worse in Windows.

>>three browser tabs
you need to be 18 to post here

There are some reasons for that. Linux shares memory between processes well when they access the same data without modifying it, just check in your system monitor how much it shows for "shared memory". This is the case with browsers because browsers duplicate processes for every tab. Also Linux doesn't use memory until the allocated memory is actually used.

>32 ffmpeg instances
y tho

>having 80 tabs open at the same time like a retard means "being an adult"
Fucking cringe.

Because converting ~1200 videos with libvpx takes ages, if I wouldn't run ffmpeg in parallel.

i am good with 8gb ram on my laptop but only because I have second laptop which runs as server and consumes 6.5gb and ONLY runs my ide and scripts

Im currently on 4 chromium tabs, terminal open, and sublime editor. Using 1.3gb of ram, i have 4gb and its more than enough.

cope harder ramlet

Attached: ram.png (793x711, 94K)

Yea i recently revivied a 2gigs system by installing bunsenlabs, like imagine getting an openbox ready system in 15 minutes lol

All this just to browse Faceberg.

And transcode video in realtime
And compile programs from source
And run multiple web apps
And run backup
And route network traffic for a 1gbps LAN

What's the WM you're using?

Because my Linux computer is smart and caches things in RAM so it doesn't read/DL is over and over again which makes everything load faster.

Why does Jow Forums hate RAM?

It's fvwm. It's retardedly difficult to customize, though. It feels like creating your own WM from scratch.

vnc viewer run like shit
the thing you use looks like shit

All this to watch his pedo Chinese cartoons.

>not games
>not using Google Chrome for the superior internet experience
>using autistic OS instead of windows 10
why are you being a contrarian?

Attached: sarcasm.jpg (480x360, 13K)

>use system with low amount of ram
>”wow omg look guys, only low amount of ram is used, ram is useless!”

You'd be surprised how much of a garbage fire modded Minecraft is
I can't play for more than a few hours before garbage collection gets ovverrun by memory leaks
And I have 32gb

>two firefox tabs
>steam idling
>three no FOUR terminals
>2.9G RAM used
wtf why did I fall for the 16GB meme I'm gonna rip out a stick while the computer is still on

Attached: 16gb meme.png (2270x334, 190K)

>use poorly programmed system and programs
>"omg u guys, EVERYONE NEED a high amount of ram!! my favourite jewtuber said so!!"

>use barebones system with textmode programs
>"640kb is enough for everyone"
Imagine being the equivalent of vegans.

Because gay men

It’s the same system, retard.

Modded minecraft takes at least 7GB

How much is 16 gb ram these days? 100 dollars? Do you have any idea how many times I have wasted 100 dollars?

>What do you fags need 16GB of RAM for?
Wangdows in a VM.

Fucking chromium man.
Also fucking JavaScript

>muh leenucks is sooper efficient meme
What is cache?

Thanks java :^)

>use bloated system and programs because jewtuber told you so
>"you need AT LEAST 32gb of RAM, otherwise ur not a real computar nurd"
imagine being old enough to vote and still thinking like this

Because I actually use my rig for productivity instead of doing fucking nothing all day?

sup detruisto
thanks for your uploads

try some virtualization you will need that ram

20 Firefox tabs open, Calc, qbt, wine.
But why is only 165mb free?

Attached: top.png (655x98, 22K)

waterfox.exe (292 tabs, don't judge) 3-4GB
firefox.exe (tor, so e10s, 8 tabs) 3GB
chrome.exe (ungoogled, 4 tabs) 7GB
just webbrowsers already use 13 of my 16GB ram.
i have about 600MB left for random usage.
the world is fucked. my ti-83 has like 32KB ram. nowadays 8 is simply not enough, 16 is bare minimum, you want 32 to actually do stuff
this shit is also stopping me.from using linux, i'll need to jump from 7 someday, but linux can't into oom/swap at all

See that last column? That 12GB represents mostly useless memory where recently accessed data is stored and for all intents and purposes counts as free RAM.

Your TI83 also runs a single task at any given time and has a 96x64 dot-matrix display.

What window manager is that?

"Copy on write" is the term if anyone is looking to learn more.

Of course, but it shows a major difference. As tech has evolved, programs have too. However, it's a dangerous sign that often, programmers get too lazy when programming. My waterfox is non-e10s. That's why I can run so many tabs. New browsers, all the Electron stuff, etc. all use far too much, just to gain stability. And nobody complains, because everyone has enough memory, apparently. That, and the general public will just think "oh this PC is getting slow, guess ill get a new one" without noticing the problem is Chrome+Slack+Discord.

Nice. Didn't read the man of top.

tbf in this day 8gb is more than enough for normal usage.

Now if you're running VMs then yeah more is needed.

as if you're doing any of that in windows

Gaymes, recompiling the kernel to get vital security patches on day 0, virtual machines, other "real work".

>recompiling the kernel
And you need 16GB for that? Absolutely elusional. It literally takes less than 150MB to do this.

>recompiling the kernel to get vital security patches on day 0
imagine being this paranoid
(touching wood)

Attached: 1325414797190.gif (259x264, 1.49M)

Why is chrome such a bloated mess?

Attached: meanwhile_at_google.jpg (550x550, 31K)

well, chrome from the start made it so every tab had its own process... back then, just one hiccuo could crash the browser or make it laggy. with multiprocess, that's not a thing. what chrome seems to forget is that having all tabs have their own processes means that every tab also then needs to have a copy of the whole fucking engine, including drivers for xbox controllers and other amazing js gunk
i'm sure it's more stable, but it bumps up memory usage per tab up from like 50MB to a fucking gigabyte at moments

Ehh that's the price you pay for stability I guess. Same reason Windows services run in their own container if you have more than 8GB RAM.

>he uses norman social media
>>>r/facebook

Why is it an issue? More RAM never hurts to have

I liked the layout you have for your windows, it's simple, elegant and effective. What would you recommend for customizing such layouts and maybe have an app drawer?

That's a beautiful rice btw

>Look guys I have gimp open without an actual project opened

It triggers poorfags who think 4GB is enough for a daily driver.

> 1333mhz
looks like you are the one coping here

>have 6GB of memory
>firefox with 3 tabs
>chroming with 30 tabs
>thunderbird
>18 terminals
>in the middle of building new chromium version
>still fine

>1.5GB for GNOME
i shiggy diggy

>nowadays 8 is simply not enough, 16 is bare minimum, you want 32 to actually do stuff
What the fuck are you people doing? This is not normal.

>>in the middle of building new chromium version
You had me until this line, nice try.

cool anchor icon

You don't need it, but it goes a lot faster if you use multiple processes and ccache. I also compile using the Ubuntu kernel config which contains a lot of bloat but I'm too lazy to trim down the config. I also want my machine to be usable while compiling so I don't want the compile to use all system resources.

You are right, it is over paranoid, but being paranoid is my hobby. At least being paranoid is more productive than shit posting and watching anime; I'm actuality interviewing for a cloud security company right now because I am "paranoid" .

>What do you fags need 16GB of RAM for? Holy fucking shit.
Because I got it for free, and 4 gigs wasn't enough.

It also was useful to me at some point, when I wrote some ODE solvers in University.

maybe you have a good processor so you dont need as much ram.

What's your cpu, faggotron? A used 1st gen xeon perhaps?

>use wm
>run only htop/neofetch
get a job retard

How else are you going to find the eigenvalues of a 100000x100000 matrix?

people who arent incel basement dwellers and do something for a living need a bit more RAM, user

No you haven't. I've compiled chromium on a shitty ThinkPad with 8gb ram with plenty to spare for some tunes and terminal shit

there literally is a tool to configure the kernel to exactly match your hardware since linux 2.6 you fucking retard.
make localmodconfig

>1st gen xeon
>1333mhz ram
you are fucking retarded.

more parallel jobs you run, more ram it uses. by your retarded logic, your cute little 2c/4t i5 and a 32c/64t threadripper would be alright with 8 gigs of ram when using their full potential.

Since when do you keep any user binaries in sbin. Those are just fucking icons and you know it.

I meant 1st gen nehalem xeon. Answer the question, user.

Using three browsers (???) on Windows (herp derp) for a total of 304 tabs is what these retards are doing.

Machine learning

Chrome RAM usage is a meme, I have 2 instances with 10 tabs open altogether + spotify running and I'm at 1,6GB usage, and that's on Mint Cinnamon so not a particularly lightweight distro.

>dot net core host takes 5GB+ RAM but
Just use Emacs or Vim then.

>>three browser tabs
What browser are you using? Chromium alone takes in 1.5G with 3 tabs for me.

Stop being fucking retarded

>seething tablet and monitorlet

Windows requires 5-6GB to run the OS and a browser. I'm not joking, I tried it on my desktop and had a friend confirm it on theirs.

I have Windows 10 cheapo laptops with 4GB of ram that work perfectly fine.

>What do you fags need 16GB of RAM for?
Testing server applications and high memory usage 7z extraction/compression.

Use Firefox. It doesn't have memory leaks at compile time, just at run time.

>one minecraft server
Oops your ram is gone.

>>one minecraft server
It's not even a joke, the java whore consumes a disgusting amount on a good day.

Attached: memor.png (810x360, 18K)

>1 core
lol

Attached: 2019-08-10-09:54:27_screenshot.png (1909x1046, 197K)

>arch linux
Cringe