Linux will never be considered a viable option as long as it stays divided in dozens of distros

Linux will never be considered a viable option as long as it stays divided in dozens of distros

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/ReverseEngineering
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
crowdsupply.com/libre-risc-v/m-class
twitter.com/AnonBabble

k lol
I don't really care and neither should you

fedora is the standard
so it's literally just one distro doing all the innovations and other distros will just follow

good
i'd rather have muh sekret club than another centralized shitfest

Different Linux distros are not different "standards".

If you prefer Windows or Mac that's fine. Just don't act like you've gone through the facts in an objective manner and determined that Linux is not a viable option

more like abandoned club

wsl is linux picked up by microsoft

ubuntu is the standard
so it's literally just one distro doing all the innovations and other distress will just follow

they are
rather than people contributing to making a single competent distro they spread trying to fix the most basic functions on dozens

linux is already wildly successful, nobody cares how it runs on your shitty ultrabook

I don't care who thinks of Linux as a viable alternative. It is for me.

>literally 1% of computers use linux
>>wildly successful

Attached: 1518438990080.png (478x523, 16K)

Keep it that way. Most of us don't want normies infecting our ecosystem.

That's consumer desktops, user. Look at the server stats.

thanks for admitting you're just being a hipster and there isn't any other reason to use linux

>us
who? incel school shooters?

Don't you mean users?
Linux dominates server market and a lot of companies use it because it's way more customizable and secure for their servers to run websites and other stuff. Plus it's license doesn't require you to pay unless you want support.

Attached: PointedPalatableBrocketdeer-small.gif (370x250, 1.18M)

no one gives the slightest shit about servers

>having systemd
it follows redhat

is this bait or are you genuinely retarded? linux and unix systems absolutely dominate the marketshare outside of the desktop market.
>what's android

Attached: 2019-08-11_00_45_02.png (1309x971, 155K)

windows phone lol

Samefag

Attached: 1550002287987.gif (220x167, 547K)

Says the person posting on a website hosted by a server.

people use linux servers because they're free and a server isn't something you actively use like your computer's OS, you just give it maintenance and leave it alone
we're talking about actual operative systems that people actually use in their lives

again
>what is android

>everyone must follow muh incel hivemind

Attached: file.png (327x121, 26K)

iOS for brazilians and indians

Women will never be considered a viable option as long as every woman looks different from each other

>what I see is the universal truth
How can someone be so dumb?

I'm tired of people saying this. Linux is a viable option with millions of users in business, government and home/personal use and applications in embedded systems and mobile devices.

The fact that it doesn't home OS versions of linux isn't as common as windows or mac is irrelevant because we're not comparing apples to apples. Windows and Macs both come with the system when you buy it and that's what people get used to and stick to. If most computers came with linux peope would stick to that - proof - people don't feel the need to change the linux systems on their chromebooks or android phones.

In terms of OS on it's own without accounting for systems that alreadly come loaded on computers when you buy them - linux is already #1.

When people have a choice they choose linux. They only choose apple or windows when the choice is made for them by manufacturers that preload the os onto their computers

Yes. People that actually care about technology do.
People that think they know shit about technology just because they assembled a gamer rig once and only spend a lot of time in front of their computer because they don't have a life on the other hand...

since you failed to get the right answer yourself, i will tell you.
1. android is linux
2. android is the most used operating system on devices that "people actually use in their lives"
3. we can conclude that linux is the most used operating system on consumer grade devices that "people actually use in their lives", which by any definition makes linux "wildly successful"
you can close this thread in shame now, dullard.

Attached: 2019-08-11_00_58_57.png (1391x876, 64K)

I commonly see this kind of thread again and again on this board. So, what's the porpoise of access a board of technology and spread hate about the tools of technology?

people feel emotional attatchment to the things they use and what they consider to be the best.
some people just like starting shit, I guess.

Yikes

some people have autism

I think that are dumb people that don't know what they are dealing with and just think computers are like smartphones and if you have your favorite brand you cannot use the other brand. In fact, linux, mac or windows its just tools, you can have your favorite, but if you need to unscrew an uncommon screw, maybe some different tool would be necessary.

Attached: crop.png (648x146, 31K)

That's why Debian needs options and versions for average users. Instead of working on ever more DEs and distros like Ubuntu and the like put almost all of the developer work force onto ways to make Debian convenient and usable by everybody while staying true to its ideals of 100% FOSS, the social contract etc. For example detect which packages I should install for my hardware and purposes and allow me to enable non-free repos during installation.
The fragmentation and non-coordination is what's keeping GNU/Linux down.

>Linux
First of all, Linux is just a kernel, whereas GNU/Linux is the system. Please read the FAQ gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
> will never be considered a viable option as long as it stays divided in dozens of distros
There are two efforts of unifying GNU/Linux world:
The first is the systemd cancer and Red Hat they try to push their bad 'standards' to every distribution, quite successfully up to now, they have like 95% of meaningful distributions polluted.
The second camp is the camp without systemd, it isn't actually unified yet, but systemd made some distributions stronger, for example Guix System - the official GNU distribution. There are two components in Guix System waiting to be a standard - Guix - the package manager, official GNU software and the Shepherd - the process supervisor. Thanks to systemd, Guix System concentrates significant fraction of anti-systemd community and GNU can regain authority it had years ago, when the project was started and there were no Linux and people calling it the OS.

>Linux
You mean GNU?

Ubuntu literally just uses Debian builds.
All the developments are done in Debian.

I wonder why no one is working on open source drivers that emulate proprietary drivers and fool the hardware into thinking a proprietary driver is installed

It would solve the problem a lot of people have with debian and make them more popular. Probably woudn't be that difficult either

>I wonder why no one is working on open source drivers that emulate proprietary drivers and fool the hardware into thinking a proprietary driver is installed
Because proprietary hardware often uses signed firmware, so you can't change it without a zero day grade bug or without having private key of a corporation that made the hardware.
libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Hardware/ReverseEngineering
There also things like Intel ME or PSP:
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
Today's hardware is so locked down, so it is easier to create own, than to reverse-engineer proprietary.
Examples of libre hardware you should support:
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
crowdsupply.com/libre-risc-v/m-class
So yes, we can't have free software without free hardware, that's just how it is.

To the person who doesn't have to do them all tasks are easy.

Then make an alternative to systemd that everyone can agree is free, make a package manager that works across all major source distros, make a better distrowatch.org that is updated using meaningful methods, and shill the fuck out of it one single time to every visitor.

>being this obsessed with inceldom

>operative systems

Attached: 1544486910806.png (543x443, 24K)

That sounds like a bad idea and here's why:
With windoes a d big macOS you don't have a choice, you get what the big guys give you and that's it.
On linux you actually have a choice. Some poeple like KDE, others prefer gnome, or i3 or dwm, openbox etc.
You can't just make a single distro with 4 different package managers, 18 window managers and 9 pdf readers just because you want "evryone to be happy".
Each distribution has it's own purpouse and it appeals to different userbases.