/spg/ - Smartphone General

iChad edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: New-iPhone-XIRMax-schematics-and-concept-images-1.jpg (1024x576, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2019/08/06/latest-zenfone-6-update-causing-crashes-asus-blames-motherboard-malfunction/
tello.com/buy/custom_plans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is the Oneplus 7 so cheap on Amazon right now

normally i would check the wiki, but it's dead. do you guys know any data recovery programs for android? i discovered one but to actually download back the files i have to pay, and i cannot pay anythong online right now

2 Samsung smartphones. But one of them is completely shit. Which one and why?

Attached: 1565532227846.jpg (1280x590, 97K)

notch aside apple makes beautiful phones
if i were rich i'd just buy a new apple phone every year and just not worry about anything like battery cycle depletions, burn in, longevity and utility, etc.

Is there anything keeping manufacturers from making smaller versions of some of their phones without other hardware changes?

Everytime I look for a phone under 6'' is a clear downgrade from whatever its "big brother" is instead of just being smaller.

to any s8 users: was the burn in thing ever a problem for you personally?

>Is there anything keeping manufacturers from making smaller versions of some of their phones
yes
demand
people don't wanna use small screen phones

So how does the Oppo Reno Z (8gb/128gb) stack up against the redmi note 7 pro?
Currently the same price for me.

For Oppo:
- Camera seems to be the similar.
- SOC seems about similar in general performance. Dont care about game/'high end' performance really, just feel of general use.
- Battery is about the same.
- Screen 'better' as its amoled and same resolution.
- 2gb more RAM.
So overall seems Oppo is slightly better
The biggest bonus for the Oppo though is. Its from a local australian store with 2 years warranty and would receive it in 2 days. Redmi is obviously from aliexpress, with questionable warranty and waiting several weeks to get it.

Thoughts? Seems obvious but i could be missing something.

With Freedompop dead, what's the cheapest carrier to go with per month for minimal use? I will miss paying $0 for my occasional cell phone usage, but I have accepted I need to pay something now.

probably Mint mobile, but you're saving because you're buying months of service at a time

most of the gay people/women i know are buying huawei/samsung its over for ifruit

Attached: chinko.png (275x183, 2K)

good, their death was a long time coming

If you have Comcast they have a phone service for small data usage.

Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 3/32 is currently at the same price as Redmi 7 2/16. The chinkphones recommendation pastebin should be updated.

Not at any perceivable level, my screen still looks great.

So is the Cosmo Communicator better than the Pro1? Will either ever be released?

is there a setting in aosp roms that will allow me to put custom notification sound for each app

the only thing keeping me from buying mi 9t is amoled burn in fears
i looked up all the tips to avoid it but still, damnit this is like phone terrorism

Why is the redmi note 7 pro still so expensive?
I got my redmi note 3 pro for $230 aussie. redmi note 7 pro is still $330. the redmi note has moved up to another price bracket and is now not even that great value.
You can find LG v30+ for that price, Xiaomi mi 9T for like $60 more, even the Oppo as this guy mentions

Been using my s7 since 2016 and there's no burn in. You really have to be some kind of basic bitch retard with the phone on full bright on one app 24/7 for a year before anything bad will happen.

depends on your priorities, and which manufacturer you trust more, cause correct me if im wrong, neither of these devices are being sold to the public yet other than pre-orders
Pro 1 has slightly better hardware, but the Cosmo is made by the same guys who made the Gemini PDA, which is actually sold to the public, and it has the ability to multi-boot with Android, Linux, and Sailfish OS

Look at the store display huawei near the end of the last thread. That's how you get burn in, that shit was on full screen brightness displaying the same thing 12+ hours a day for a year. Don't be such a pussy over what amounts to these days disposable tech.

What do I need to know before getting a Mi 9T?

My question is why the fuck can't it just be bought outside china

Miui is cancer and you better familiarize yourself with the debloating process unless you are some kind of super normie intending to use all the stock apps.

Not as good support for custom ROMs just yet

bros, why cant i find any extended batteries for my galaxy s3
it hurts

I just want my phone to also be a decent ssh client without having to carry an extra keyboard.

The Nojack 10

Is the Note line dead, bros?

Attached: IMG_20190811_045743.jpg (1480x2048, 474K)

what a shitty phone, without a case you can't even use it comfortably on the table due to the bump

hopefully, next year they'll remove that shit punch hole and add back the 3.5 jack. and maybe they could be alive again.

even though they'll still missing
>notification led
>pressure sensitive under screen home button
>back fingerprint
>iris scanner

note 9 was really the 0 compromise phone...

well considering Planet's original goal was $200k and they've accumulated about $2 million, but yet haven't started production and have only two prototypes, not sure about Cosmo's future
but apparently the Pro1 will start shipping in September, so i think Pro1 is what you're gonna have to get

i miss the old days when the only new feature was a better camera and a bigger screen

Hello anons, it seems that there's not even one place on the internet where you can buy the Asus Zenfone 6 - 256gb/8gb RAM edition. Not even the official website have those, so if any of you might happen to know one website who has it and ships it to Europe... I'll be grateful.

Attached: Keymaster.png (298x236, 91K)

Just bought A70 because my Redmi Note 5 screen burn in effect with its shitty LCD panels were getting more and more annoying

Pros:
>Beautiful Screen, makes the Redmi Note 5 feel like an iPhone 4
>Great Bluetooth control panel in the Notification Panel, switching audio sources are pretty easy
>No ads anywhere
>Feels relative snappy
>Fingerprint reader is okay despite most reviews clamining is shit (Works 7-8/10 times)

Cons:
>Turns out my My Mi Band 4+Mi Fit app killing the audio quality on my device. Samsung priorities the band connection over any other bluetooth device, giving them a shitty bandwith what causes a static noise when the highs are getting too powerful.
Bit pricey

Attached: 800px-Keanu_Reeves_at_São_Paulo,_Brazil_--_2019-04-03_(cropped).jpg (800x941, 143K)

>and now all cameras would be modular/square/ugly or all of the above
They can't keep themselves from ruining tech, can they?

I'm buying an old smartphone as a second device. Mostly to use as a pmp, or whatever. My current choices are.
>Note 8
>ZTE Axon 7
>LG V20
Which should I go for?

Both of them are same note 10. they have only one difference.

note 8

The plus has Microsoft, and a larger display. It's still complete shit though especially at it's price point.

You're talking about the SoC? Are Exynos really that bad?

>Note 8
Seems like the best (also is the most expensive), but the aspect ratio, and rounded edge kind of pisses me off.
Do you know if manga pages look decent on the note 8?

>Ever trusting ASUS for smartphones
ohnononono
androidpolice.com/2019/08/06/latest-zenfone-6-update-causing-crashes-asus-blames-motherboard-malfunction/

They do that by design to upsell the larger phone which is almost always sold at an unreasonable premium

first for cunts not being able to play osrs on an iphone 8 LMAO @ UR LIFE

>Microsoft
Meant microSD.

>Ever trusting ASUS for smartphones
Asus made sure that custom roms would be available for the zenfone 6, so I'm not mad that they have some issues with this update. Shit happens with every smartphone manufacturer, and at least asus isn't trying to be dicks about it.

Check out Tello:
tello.com/buy/custom_plans

where?

Not that dude.
What would you say if i said i used my redmi note 3 pro for nearly 3 years, without a single update of any kind past day 1, without using anything but stock miui?
Then what would you say if i said i enjoyed every moment of it? and the only reason i have something new is because i lost the phone.

Miui7 (im pretty sure it was) was comfy. I bought a second hand but near new LG V20 as a replacement (for $150aussie bucks) and while hardware wise im loving it, the LG version of android is anal aids cancer compared to miui (7). For the first time in 4.5 years of smartphones (late to the game) im considering a custom rom.

> Are Exynos really that bad
Dont you see?

Because it's not the 7 Pro?

LG V30

>Redmi Note 5 burn-in
is this some new Samsung FUD?

Axon 7 or V20 since they both have DACs

so is the S10e the POTY?

Some Xiaomi phones uses a panel made by Tianma. These panels are cheap and horrible. Basically the panel somehow recreates the burn in effect (without being permanent, still annoying as hell seeing it for multiple minute)

Attached: screen-burn-note-4.jpg (443x332, 13K)

Also these are plane IPS panels, not Amoled

What's a phone that's durable and has great battery power?

Still rocking the note 4 and there's no local burn in but the whole screen has a light yellow tint. Its only noticable when you compare it it whites on lcd screens.
It doesn't matter since any rom worth it's salt will have display tint settings.

>spend $1100 on a phone
>no updates in months
Wow thanks Samsung this is amazing levels of support for a device that cost more than my first CAR

>since they both have DACs
The note 8 has a DAC though

I loved my Axon 7. I wish they had made a true successor

I would say two things: 1. Good for you and 2. MIUI 10 is not MIUI 7. There have been quite a few changes. Personally I don't like how notifications are handled in general over MIUI. Or the weird dark theme, or how DPI/font size is handled, for instance. It has things that I'd rather not deal with, and I dealt with for about one year and that's about enough.

In any case, 2 options are always better than just one. You can still grab something with better custom ROM support without it affecting in any way how MIUI would work. What makes a difference in some cases is the hardware as there are some better phones with worse custom ROM support, but then again midranges have gotten to the point (outside of gaming) where performance is more than enough for what most people do and the differences are the camera quality, shit like whether the screen is AMOLED or LTPS LCD or a lack of headphone jack.

Their ROG phones are good.

Is going with the pro version just a meme? I can't get over the fact that it has SD855 vs the SD730 on the 9t although I rarely play games just to stay "futureproof"

Samsung is never good with updates. They have an update model that is nonsensical. Sometimes they provide a specific carrier with an update that the rest of the country doesn't get to enjoy, including unlocked phones. Sometimes they give 2 months of priority to indians over the rest of the world. Sometimes they provide two different updates, one with flaws the other hasn't and viceversa, instead of providing a decent one. They're pretty shitty and slow.

That said just one of the multiple companies that have problems with updates. Xiaomi never released a fucking Oreo update for the Mi Max 2. It generally takes Motorola a decade to release bigger updates as well. I would -guess- Oneplus devices have better update support.

Samsung Galaxy S1 I turned on 3 weeks ago has no burn in.

S8 here, I get security updates every month.

>has no burn in.
no shit, how is it going to get burn in if it's been switched off?

Yeah, there's like 3 or 4 devices that get monthly updates. Most of them are quarterly. The A50 I have right here is getting a shitty update compared to my neighbor because of a fucking region code.

It was used for quite a long ass time as a media player.

what phone should I get if I value battery life, camera, smoothness and no chink company?

k20 pro

Mi9T

>no chink company

Might as well
>no phone

Mi 9T Pro coming soon

buy a fucking apple and leave please

really?
>I value battery life

Yes really, all phones are made by asian companies you cumbrain

But go ahead and buy a 1000+ samsung because you trust them more than another chinese phone that you can simply flash another rom over.

I mean shit, you have what? Oneplus is chinese too. Samshit is not a good option for those. The rest are just inferior to Samsung.

Calm down xi.

Attached: piss-soaked-eggs.png (500x590, 127K)

Nope. Op7P is POTY.

no, the pixel 4 is

Convince me as to why I shouldnt buy a note 10.

I like the smaller screen size and the ability to use a pen.

easy zachary

But the Pixel 4, and note 10 are shit.

I'll buy my new autism forehead phone and laugh when your motorized selfie cam is destroyed in a year

>implying i would care if the selfie camera broke

enjoy the hole in the middle of your screen

>autism forehead phone
>hole in the middle of your screen

Attached: 1542879010509.png (625x773, 111K)

If you still want a note 10 after knowing
>Hole punch display
>Last year's soc
>No headphone jack
>No storage expansion slot
>60fps display
>$1000, and 5g optional for extra
>Power button fuckery
Then there's really nothing that anyone can say to you that could convince you not to.

>Imying zenfone 6
I'll probably buy an rog 2, but I'm waiting, because I have a feeling that the new socs, and better networking hardware are due really soon.

It's a downgrade in almost every way

gimmick phone

This pretty much explains the Pixel 4 with >hole punch display
as an exception, but instead
>even smaller battery
>smaller display

It’s heavier than I expected.

Go eat some pp eggs chinafat.