Why do forums always look like shit?

The imageboards are better, but everything is shoved towards the left and makes are poor navigating. And don't even get me started on the normie ones.

Attached: unknown (1).png (480x480, 332K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/308569/community-update-1-new-forums-feedback-next-ste/
camaroforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because they all serve one purpose: to provide with a scalable basic template for user generated content. The content has to be at the core of it and so making forum 'frame' beautiful is pointless and outright bad thing to do from ux standpoint. Forums and boards need to be minimal and clean though, that I can agree with.

Oh you've seen nothing yet
You wanna see an atrocity? Check out the new nvidia forums
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/308569/community-update-1-new-forums-feedback-next-ste/

>nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/308569/community-update-1-new-forums-feedback-next-ste/
Holy shit. What a clusterfuck. The infinite loading makes it all the more worse.

>what if we took the traditional email UI and made it into our new forum layout
kek

What's an example of a perfect forum? Not an imageboard or Reddit-type site whatever that would be considered but an actual forum.

Facepunch used to be a great forum in respect to design and style but the owner is a genuine manchild along with the pea brain users. It was shut down, obviously, but it's the only one that looked good to me.

I made a quick mock of what an adpated Jow Forums would look like in that column style. might just be me being lazy but as you go towards the right things start to fall apart.

Attached: 1450659832892.png (1829x915, 744K)

there's nothing wrong with the current layout, faggot.

That looks nice.

dilate. you sound a little jelly, zoomie

The old invisionfree forums were perfect.

It is fucking awful. Think about what usage is being done with the screen real estate. After you enter the thread will you need the entire listing of other forum threads? Leaving it on the screen is wasted screen space because it is data you're not actively interacting with or may never interact with. The only reason E-mail gets away with this setup is because E-mail tend to be short notes or maybe a page long at most. A message board could be hundreds of pages long.

As long as threads are capped at 300-something posts, then it's OK. However, I do see your point about wasted screen space. I think the chans are fine the way they are.

this

I kinda see where you're getting at, but I think you're over-exaggerating the design's shortcomings. The list on the left is simply a preview of all of the other threads on the board. You will inevitably have to interact with it to navigate the board. And, even if a message board is hundreds of pages long, it isn't an issue to user's design because it also has page numbers at the bottom that segment it.

You sound a little heated.

Try 4kev.org

kek. I said it was a quick mock up, fuckhead. nvidia's forum is absolutely aids so I was trying to make it better.

virus site, dont visit

I think the image ratios could use a bit of tweaking. like many a preview thing similar to how Jow Forums does it to handle large images

Idk, I wish the chans didn't look too sketchy to be looked at oddly in public.

knockout.chat looks p comfy friend

Honestly, I don't really mind it, but I wish the main content was in the center and not towards the left. If the "threads" and the main content panels were switched, I wouldn't mind scrolling through it.

I have never posted in the nvidia forums before, so this is my first impression.

I'm making a Jow Forums clone, please let me know how you want it to look. Right now I have a working REST api, and I'm about to start the front end in a few days.

It's the refugees from Facepunch () and it has potential. I like the look but it's still in beta and has to grow. Doesn't seem highly active or have anything much of value to offer.

Don't know how they'll entice users. As long as their developers aren't some socially inept furries or some weird thing then they have a good road ahead. I've noticed that forums are ruined because of their leadership. They'll be all polite on the surface but when you contact them or talk to them on Discord they'll be complete cocks. I'm guessing forum leadership attracts a lot of onions boys who want power trips.

Kiwi farms.

Very friendly and accepting forum, I agree.

It's laggy asf for me though.

what's the relationship between Jow Forums and kiwi farms? I've read on ed that the kiwis aren't to keen on channers joining them

DON'T LIKE IT----- HERE'S A NEW ONE FOR YA-....................THEN DON'T COME BY. THATS SIMPLE. AND HERE'S A NEW ONE 2, GET BENT.

WHY DO WE ALWAYS GET LIBERAL TROUBLE CAUSERS HERE? ADMINS PLEASE BAN THIS GUY. THE SITES FINE. GOT HOPE AND CHANGE FOR 8 YEARS AND LOOK WHERE IT GOT US. LIKE JACOB SAID, AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT LOOKS PRETTIER THAN MY WIFE.

MY MOTHER USED TO SAY [QUOTE/] IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL [QUOTE]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LOOK LIKE SHIT. NOT THIS PLACE.

camaroforums.com/
GOLD STAR USERS.
MEMBER FOR 10 YEARS

1968 CHEVETTE
2000 FORD EXCURSION DIESEL (SOLD)
2004 PT CRUISER SUPERCHARGED VERSION
1980 CAMERO

AINT A V8, THEN IT IT AINT GREAT

USMC
1981-1982 (HELICOPTER KNEE DISCHARGE)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"
"GET BUSY LIVIN OR GET BUSY DYIN"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attached: AVATAR.jpg (225x225, 3K)

As a serious answer. Kiwi Farms is just this site but unironically evil. Are there idiots here? Sure, but they're tame and aside from "LOL iTODDLERSSSS BTFO LOL ANIMMEEE" bullshit it's not that bad. Just immature people.

They're actively looking for people to harass and put in actual danger. They've even caused suicides before by attacking people with mental illness and then laughing about it. Ironically enough it's not even safe for the users. I'm confident that people who would own that site are collecting IP's and other personal information to blackmail users or mess with them too.

It's really a sad site. It attracts genuinely evil people. A disgrace.

This is why I stopped going to car forums. For as much shit as men give women for liking stupid shit they'll act like toddlers about their dumbass fucking tin cans on wheels. Complete douchenozzles.

GO. TO. HELL.

camaroforums.com/
GOLD STAR USERS.
MEMBER FOR 10 YEARS

1968 CHEVETTE
2000 FORD EXCURSION DIESEL (SOLD)
2004 PT CRUISER SUPERCHARGED VERSION
1980 CAMERO

AINT A V8, THEN IT IT AINT GREAT

USMC
1981-1982 (HELICOPTER KNEE DISCHARGE)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"LIVE FREE OR DIE"
"GET BUSY LIVIN OR GET BUSY DYIN"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attached: 1565550178748.jpg (214x214, 6K)

>The only reason E-mail gets away with this setup is because E-mail tend to be short notes or maybe a page long at most.
It only gets away with it because you've been Stockholm Syndromed into not trying something else.

dilate.

Your posting is absolute aids brother.

You also forgot to change your user tag, faggit

I use Neomutt as my primary E-mail program. But do tell us, what is the best E-mail program since you're so fucking smart.

the power of javascript, but it looks good at least

Javascript is perfectly fine. It's just incompetent developers. It's also in beta right now. Looks good though, I agree.

Nah, it... it doesn't look good.
Though I am not their user, it's up to them.

the absolute state of modern bloat-web dev.

phpbb is the best forum layout that has ever existed, ui-wise.

imageboards > forums > reddit

I absolutely cannot stand any format that doesn't display posts linearly/chronologically

Agree tree view type forums are a horrible experience. Glad we moved on from there for the most part.

How are imageboard superior to forums exactly? They display posts linearly /chronologically just like imageboards

I think this has potential. It looks like it would be a bug fest though so idk

That looks kinda nice TBqH

>More compact that a forum - less useless info to get in the way.
>The option to add an image to a post
That's it. Good social media does not require a great deal on the host's part. Just put only the info the user needs in front of them, keep the info they don't need out of the way, and keep the user-required clicks to a minimum.

with the right tools it's easy to implement

Looks like reddit cancer

fine then you fucks. quit distracting me I'm busy

Attached: 1450659832892.png (1809x895, 417K)

better concept, but uglier execution lol

No matter what I say you'll still be a projecting gen z faggot spouting buzzwords. Just go back already

way better than this crapboard for weeaboos

There's no reason the sticky and banner need their own column, maybe a collapsible header

Back to where, old man? What are you doing on an anime site anyways? Shouldn't you be out playing golf and watching your hallmark shows?

Attached: download.gif (931x682, 426K)

Have you ever Viewed Source on an imageboard, especially a Jow Forums page? Fuck, this code is GARBAGE. It's garbage multiplied by garbage multiplied by garbage expo-fucking-nentionally. Christ, what a shitheap this HTML is. It's unforgiveable.

Attached: sensible chuckle.gif (220x220, 358K)

I think that was the point.

"the code is bad because it was written for computers to read, not humans" - t. moot

the code could do the job in 1/50th of the space, and be less of a clusterfuck for OTHER pieces of code (e.g. userscripts) to work with.

Kek

I agree. The stickied posts should be with the other posts.