Is he right, Jow Forums?

Is he right, Jow Forums?
Y'all talk about learning a new programming language in the span of a few months like it's easy as changing your underwear

Attached: 1203E92A-A224-4677-BC9A-13C1E6247161.jpg (750x677, 124K)

Looks like an autistic soi ridden faggot with an inflated sense of self importance and ego.

It takes 10 year to become unemployable due to ageism in the industry.

I'm not a programmer, but, don't many languages share such similar syntax that it becomes very easy to move from one to the other?

>it takes a year to learn a language syntax
lol

because most modern languages like python, javascript, php can be learned in a few months.

basically, the more languages you know the easier a new language is

That's because he is one.

Attached: F69DD693-1190-4E89-AE89-AA1846EC0DC9.jpg (750x976, 185K)

Depends on what languages you compare. Most modern languages have C-like syntax, so learning e.g. Java syntax if you already know C can be done in a day.

What a shock. Desk jockey little egotistical soiface faggot is an egotistical femcunt.

Imagine my shock

No. We are still learning how to construct good programming languages, API's, OS, network stacks, etc. A lot of the issues people complain about are solved they just aren't using it yet.

on second thought i dont know.
i could learn python but if someone told me to make something like zeronet i wouldnt know where to even begin.

It doesn’t take 30 years wtf is wrong with this retard

>nu-male fag smile
check
>nu-male fag smile while holding a beverage that's either starbucks or onions shit
check

no, he is wrong. You can learn a syntax in like a week or less if you're committed. Mastering it inevitably comes ith time as you familiarize yourself with it through xperience.

Sounds like a butthurt software engineer who's annoyed that people just learning on their own are showing him up and taking his jobs.

Hes a retard projecting his retardation unto others.

>Why yes, it took me whole year to learn syntax of java, how did you know?

Attached: 1558399727470.png (1080x834, 380K)

For anyone wondering: he's basically a solo game developer, the guy behind the Democracy series and Gratuitous Space Battles

Attached: 6C0E9219-77CF-4297-B492-BEB797E57388.jpg (750x295, 49K)

>democracy

Learning a new programming language is asier than learning how to program. Learning to program is hard if you don't know a programming language. So you learn the language first, then you learn the art of programming.

>It takes a year to learn a language syntax
Depending on the language and what you know beforehand, it can be done in an afternoon.
>10 years to know how to use it effectively
What does he mean by 'effectively'?
I think Stallman already knew how to write 'efficient' C code when he wrote GCC.
>30+ years to know how to do so effectively, safely, reliably, rapidly and in a way thats easy to maintain
Most people who put some effort in can do that by the time they're 30. Even younger depending on the person.
I'd add that making threads out of twitter screenshots is a bad habit. We don't need a thread for every time someone says something tech-related on the Internet.

Attached: 2015 was four years ago.jpg (600x720, 62K)

Ofcourse a weeb was going to show up and go to the other extreme.
Learn a programming language in an afternoon.
Show me your github.

>I think Stallman already knew how to write 'efficient' C code when he wrote GCC.
Sure, but he had years of experience with LISP first. OP's screenshot is correct that mastery takes years, but misses that you can transfer mastery between languages fairly readily.

I learned C syntax in a day and learned to not rely on examples anymore after 3 months.

Of course Jow Forums says you can learn a language in a month.
Like Jow Forums says you should be able to deadlift at least 400lbs in your first six months.
Like /fa/ says you should only wear 200$ t shirts or otherwise you're a pleb. The list goes on and on. Is this your first day on the chin OP?

retard faggot bootcamp zoomers will call him a "gatekeeper" in twitter replies, guaranteed

>Learn a programming language in an afternoon.
A syntax? That can easily be done in an afternoon. That does not mean you have learned all language features, its standard library, common frameworks, etc. That would take longer (how much long depends on the language).
The syntax quote is directly from the image.
>Sure, but he had years of experience with LISP first.
You're correct. But there are projects out there being developed by much younger folk with nowhere close to 10+ years of experience that have quality code. On top of my head, Pokémon Showdown comes to mind.
>Of course Jow Forums says you can learn a language in a month.
Imagine you know Java. Can't you pick up C# or Haxe in less than one month?
What do you think that would make it take longer?

Attached: Deoxys and the robot 1.jpg (3888x4000, 1.09M)

Learned 3-4 programming languages (and used them in production) in a month. Is this the power of autism?

>41 years of experience to effectively architect, write test and maintain software at a professional level
no, he's just shit at what he does

I only know this guy because he was the public face of epic games when they were known for gears of war.
He didn't make any of that, did he?

T-this isn't legit, r-right? I'm 23 and just starting college education.

Learn to code

>I'd add that making threads out of twitter screenshots is a bad habit. We don't need a thread for every time someone says something tech-related on the Internet.
This. Enough retarded shit gets posted here without adding more brainless shit from the onions containment camps.

It's a meme. I have two uncles who are old as shit and make a killing in the industry. One in Network Engineering and the other in Software Engineering.

>But there are projects out there being developed by much younger folk with nowhere close to 10+ years of experience that have quality code.
No doubt. But experience does have a real, tangible payoff.

For me, there was about a 6 year gap between when I thought I could program, and when I was really good at it (here I'm including advanced skills like an intuition for debugging, a sense for software architecture, and being comfortable in a codebase too big to memorize.) There are probably plenty of people more talented than me who got there quicker. But if you think you got all the way there in just a year, you're either exceptional or you don't realize how much more room you have to grow.

At 23 you should have gotten your first job offer already.
Hope you had a backup plan, lmao

He's wrong, he's just trying to make learning a language syntax to be the equivalent of drawing hentai on Patreon. (It takes 10 years to learn how to draw, which is why most adults can't)

Do you have some programming skills already? If not, it's like trying to get a music degree without having touched an instrument before.

A CS degree is supposed to teach you the advanced theoretical stuff, not the fundamentals. You'll become a better theoretician, but won't get enough practice to become a skilled practitioner in a typical CS degree program. (When I was in college, even in the senior-level classes, only about 1/3 of my classmates could program worth a damn.)

That being said, at my employer we hire new college grads all the time because most people are equally as fucked as you are by the current state of CS education. So you'll probably find someone who will pay you to cut your teeth.

Do and say what you have to to get yourself hired and promoted, but internally you should keep an appropriate level of humility.

Can you say that they could quit their job and find a job as easily as a 25-30 year old programmer?

>learning a 20 unique keywords takes this fag an entire year

lolwut ?

They have similar handles but are completely different people. The one from Epic was Cliff Blezinski, this one is Cliff Harris

I agree with everything you said.

Attached: Deoxys and the robot 2.jpg (3888x4000, 982K)

How do you know that most people here are larping?
1) not one of you has mentioned the fact that there is a management structure at any decent company. You arent going to be a senior manager or director overnight
When you get a job you will be a junior programmer and that will be for, at the very least, 2 years. You will then either be thrown out because you are crap or climb a step higher.

2) Not one of you has mentioned the fact that the junior programmers are usually given the small tasks to help them learn. You can expect to be a senior programmer after about 20 years at a decent company if you last that long
Like the guy said, even if you make it past the junior stage your career will mainly be as a programmer, not as a project leader or senior manager.

Keep thinking you know everything, boys.
keep dreaming on
yeah yeah yeah, programmers, my arse

This is only true for C++ because C++ is a pile of hot garbage. For any other language this is absolutely false. You can learn the full syntax of a modern language in a few days or even 1 day and know how to use it effectively after 1-2 projects.
t. c++ programmer

If you need 10 years to figure out how to do an effective algorithm then you have no place in programming.

I don't get your post. Neither did the Twitter guy nor anyone in this thread talked about jobs. The original text does not mention 'senior' or 'junior' at all. It was about learning a programming language.

Attached: background_smw.png (512x432, 17K)

>30+ years to be proficient
kek fuck off boomer

it takes a year to learn a language syntax, 2 years to know how to use it effectively, 3+ years to know how to do so effectively, safely, reliably, rapidly and in a way thats easy to maintain. Software development is an art, a career, not something you pick up one summer.

Maybe if you're a grug brained retard who has had his mind ravaged by onions & IPAs

>Can you say that they could quit their job and find a job as easily as a 25-30 year old programmer?
Yes and they have.

I mean, if you know C, then learning python is much easier than if you didn't learn a language. Kinda like how Spanish is easier to learn if you know English, but not if you know Japanese.

lol fucking nigger, took me a day to learn javascript

but really as long as you have experience with one language, you can learn anything, especially if you're good with resources

I think the issue is "learn" a language. What do you have to do to "learn" one? I've written a web scrapers and file sorters in python, but I wouldn't say I've "learnt" Python.

>You can expect to be a senior programmer after about 20 years at a decent company if you last that long
Or you can get 5-8 years experience and switch jobs, why the fuck would you need twenty years? Also offtopic

It takes like an hour to learn a language's syntax.

>y'all

It takes a week to learn a language syntax
A month to know how to use it effectively, 10+ years to know how to do so effectively, safely, reliably, rapidly and in a way thats easy to maintain

It is easy if you aren't fucking retarded. Anyone who has trouble leaving syntax is as dumb as a gorilla.

Obviously he's right. Programming FizzBuzz toy projects at /dpt/ is very different from programming big software projects. Most people here fail to realize this because they're at the peak of Mt. Stupid if you look at the Dunning-Kruger effect graph. They will face reality once they land a job (if the can get a job in the first place).

Attached: dunning-kruger_effect.jpg (1300x728, 45K)

I hate threads like these. People claim it takes 130 IQ or that you gotta start when you are 4 to be a programmer. Both of these things are so far from the truth. People in software have varying backgrounds. A lot of people are on their second career. A lot of people are obviously not geniuses.
It takes around two years of genuine hard work to learn how to write non trivial programs. A lot of people are not capable of genuine hard work, and so they fail. If you are willing to spend a lot of time in front of the computer, and don't have a serious learning disability, you can write software professionally.

>cop doesn't tell him immediately
yeah that's no good

I wish it was possible to filter every single thread with a screenshot from twitter attached.

This cliffski guy is a certified brainlet holy fuck.
>30 years to master a language and all the "skills" to use it wisely
Most paradigms and things that actually help you are common between all languages. You don't need to come up with your own definition of important concepts, smarter men have done it for you, just use OOP or whatever your software needs, figuring out how to make an easily maintainable, safe piece of code is like following a flowchart, easily reachable by googling where you aren't sure. Confirmed macbook onions hipster.

Learning a programming language is easy.
Learning programming is hard.

It's probably possible.
A bit of OCR, a bit of detecting round pictures..

It's legit. I'm 37, I passed every single phone screen (Apple, Google, Facebook, Tesla, Microsoft, Netflix, Amazon, Snap, Uber, Lyft, you know name) but only received ONE job offer despite performing better in interviews better than I ever have. I used to pass 2/3 of my onsites in my 20s. Ageism hits hard starting in your mid-thirties. You started too late, have a backup plan.

His times are off, but he’s not wrong.

Sure thing NEET.

gotta have that job security
more or less
>I'd add that making threads out of twitter screenshots is a bad habit. We don't need a thread for every time someone says something tech-related on the Internet.
/thread

>he needs to """learn""" languages
What is wrong with you? Just read SICP everyday and become a lisp hacker.
underrated
Impressive.

He doesn't have a very impressive track record if he's been programming for 30 years and all he does is make 2D strategy games
You can do that in 5

my professor told me that you don't learn a language, you learn the logic and then the syntax of the language you wish to apply that in. is this true?

Yes
Skills are transferrable between any language, you don't learn a language you learn programming

your professor is smart

Just shift-click on a twitter thread instead of opening it then. ezpz

Let's look at your track record 30 years from now ;)

Learning a new syntax and set of keywords and the like is really trivial, and I will readily admit it took me 2 years to deadlift 3 plate.
However some language features can take a long time to reach a good understanding of.
The problem lies in what knowing a language means and your prior knowledge.

lmao you can learn syntax in an afternoon
How it works can take a while depending on how much of a meme IO is in it

That's the result when a dumb person finally can learn something: they think this is an art

this sounds like a really sexist statement. all the female software engineers that get hired at companies only have one boot camp months worth of experience and companies are clamoring for them!

Attached: 1537996964482.jpg (827x1044, 486K)