Btrfs thread

Is this shit finally stable now?

Attached: EF6B86E4-FFCF-4D57-BD8A-8F0283F0EBDD.png (1600x1020, 27K)

I like water though.

it's useless and always will be. Ext4 is good. Bcachefs will probably be good in the future. No other filesystems are worth using, other than exfat, which is needed for removable media.

What about ZFS, the OG long term storage FS?

RAID1 is fine and has been for quite a while now. (read: pretty much everything with a kernel newer than CentOS 7) If that's what you want then go ahead and use it.

RAID56, every home data-hoarder's dream, is mostly okay but with one big exception: the write hole. They're planning to fix that by adding three and four-copy RAID1, since RAID1 block groups aren't affected by write-hole problems. i.e., you'd make an array with data=raid6 and metadata=raid1c3, both of which will survive the loss of any two drives. There were patches for this posted on the mailing list a few weeks ago, but it isn't getting merged for 5.3 (or probably 5.4) because of a problem with device replacement.

let me guess, you're one of those morons that thinks PAR2 is an acceptable way to protect against bit-rot

on tumbleweed is amazing for snapshots with snapper and you can use for easy rollback (snapshots appear on grub)
only use it for your root partition
it's a very nice thing to have until bcachefs gets mature and optimized (I hope so)

nothing wrong on btrfs, except parity raid5 stuff.

I use it on my system drive for snapshots and for RAID1. Works great so far. Although I want to eventually move to RAID56 and I'm afraid btrfs isn't stable enough. Should I just use btrfs or move to something else, eg. Zfs?

STILL? How long does it take to fix that? I get that it's probably pretty hard to do, but it has been several literal years.
I can almost sympathize with RedHat going full NIH syndrome and making Stratis at this point.

more like BTFOfs

>No other filesystems are worth using

squashfs, nigger

bcachefs is on its way to get mainlined
IF they pull it off (what they promised I mean) it will be the end of any other FS for me
fuck btrfs and zfs (licensing)
## READ PIC RELATED IF YOU CARE ABOUT FILESYSTEMS ##

Attached: READ-THIS.png (1777x3932, 427K)

basically it hasn't been much of a priority for the devs. They're mostly corporate-funded. RAID56 is what you do when you're willing to trade away performance to get storage efficiency, and corporations seldom do that these days, they want the performance and if that means throwing more money at it, so be it. Which is why RAID1 is in good shape.

Needs more RAM so its not right for everything

I've been using it on my system drive for over 5 years. No issues.

>all those "partially done" "80% implemented" "not yet started" things in the list
yeah, its on its way to the same path the Btrfs took, years and years of people saying "So have they finally finished that yet?"

so why do you think I said if they pull it off?
because you can be optimistic without being delusional
and you might want to read what he said about btrfs
it's ok not to be a contrarian pessimistic fuck

only boomers spouting old memes dislike btrfs

Attached: 1561956132494.png (1080x1080, 1.98M)

>No other filesystems are worth using
XFS, ZFS, HAMMER(2) F2FS, FAT32

>Linux
>anything stable
nigga u high or something?

>historic
wtf is this shit

yes ntfs is all you need.