/erg/ - E-Reader General

Let's talk about ebook, pdf and manga readers.

Amazon Kindle - amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Ereader-Family/b?node=6669702011
>6" $99
>4/8/32GB with no storage expansion possible
>large and cheaper book selection
>most models don't have expandable storage
>worse support of sideloaded content, does not support PDFs well
>older models can be found dirt cheap used

Likebook Mars - likebook.aliexpress.com/
>comes in 6" $120, 7.8" $220, 10" $440 screen sizes at 300 ppi
>Android 6.0 with a custom UI
>octa-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM
>microSD card, 3.5mm headphone jack for audiobooks
>can easily sideload apps via .apk
>comfy reader for manga books, Jow Forums browsing using Clover/Firefox+4chanX

Kobo - us.kobobooks.com/pages/compare-ereaders
>smaller but slightly more expensive book selection
>better support of sideloaded content, decent PDF support
>newer models don't have microSD slots
>comfort light, newer models having more adjustability
>some models have internal microSD cards (blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2013/10/08/how-to-expand-internal-storage-of-kobo-ebook-readers-video)

>Honorable mentions
Sony DP-ST1, Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro

> Where to get books
pastebin.com/raw/J2VFLeK9

> Looking for recommendations with reviews
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Books - Jow Forums's recommended books
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/sub - reocmmended books
goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-books-2018
nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/

Attached: Amazon-Kindle-Oasis-2019.jpg (1640x1640, 738K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gvidomusic.com/product/lineup/#lineup_01
youtube.com/watch?v=Hudk3GJsqSc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Any recommendations on what the best reader to buy is if I want to flash KOReader?

Not the same but related: do e-ink monitors/screens for regular computers exist? Are they all either too fucking small or too fucking expensive still or did the chinks make magic happen?

Attached: 1558817386551.jpg (1080x1062, 359K)

I love my Oasis.

I’d like this but I cant find something that connects to a network drive and can sync pdf edits so i can view them in another pc. Closest thing is a surface pro

>there are now LCDs in development that can keep the image when voltage is off

LCD confirmed for zombie, it won't die ever.

how doee colored doujin looks on e-ink?

e-ink is still pretty niche and has latency/refresh rate problems that limit its usefulness as far as I'm aware. it's only really good for sequentially viewed static pages of black and white text anyway. I remember seeing an asian company taking corporate inquiries into large e-ink display prototype products a while ago, but nothing consumer oriented.

Anyone else feel like they would be fine with buying ebooks if they weren't DRMed and locked to whatever ecosystem you bought them on?

>4-bit greyscale
bad, unless you want to manually adjust the channels in each file ahead of time
stick to black and white

At this point its worth buying a book scanner and keep it in the garage and buy/return physical books on amazon.

I want one as a dedicated terminal monitor while I do everything else on the other monitor. I know they already exist but they're stupid expensive. Maybe now that the patent's up, more reasonable options will show themselves.

I've been using a kindle for the past 4 years. Just bought a remarkable. Bit steep price but seems promising. Very large screen to most others. The pen stuff is decent enough although i mostly use it for reading.

It comes with root access and is very easy to connect to. Havent gotten around to actually altering stuff in there, but it was obviously some *nix flavor.

Attached: remarkable-remarkable-and-marker.jpg (1690x1056, 153K)

>>there are now LCDs in development that can keep the image when voltage is off
>burn in as a feature
The real trick is seeing if the image will change again when you power it back up.

That's why I download copies of all my Kindle books to my PC and crack them in Calibre.

>The real trick is seeing if the image will change again when you power it back up.
>what is nvm?

>LCD
>burn in

?

I have not experimented with other readers, but I can confirm recent kobos are piss easy to flash on.

I know that you can but you shouldn't have to.

How is it for manga?

Will kobo present a new model soon with these specs
>7"
>sd expandable

What is my best choice for an eReader with that specs plus comfort light and decent cpu to handle comics (cbr/cbz)?

Looking to replace a broken screen for my SONY PRS-600. Any tips on where to get it from?

For me, its the Kindle 2.
The best ereader

Attached: IMG_20190728_120152_1.jpg (2340x3879, 2.14M)

That is gen4 though. I give it to my mum when I got a kobo glo hd. Still rocking.

>buy kindle
>dont register and wifi
>turn on airplane mode
>pirate books and convert them to azw3 or KFX for more font options.
>put all your converted books in the kindle
>read all your books for free
For the best kindle experience.

Is this the best e-reader for doujins?

Whats is the best and most cheap e-reader to read pirated pdfs?

Attached: 67526532_2375762789138842_6948692678980665344_n.jpg (594x604, 43K)

>pdfs
Buy a tablet.

Kobo forma has PWM, that should merit a discouraging mention

Attached: 1565226839808.png (720x719, 675K)

Salsa?

Likebook Mars is.

it looks neat. Do you have one user? How is it?

It's nice. Goodereader.com has it on sale for $199.98, so shop around.

Attached: 1564893155959.jpg (4160x3120, 986K)

Thanks for the heads up user, maybe I'll go ahead and purchase one tomorrow.

If I download my manga/doujins in zip files with either jpegs or pngs, will it read them or do I have to convert them to an appropriate format?

How do you read them currently?

Another user here, how do you classify the build quality?

What do you guys think of the Kobo Touch 2.0, i need a cheap e-reader, never had used or had one before so i don't have high standards or preferences.

Attached: trash_man.jpg (960x960, 294K)

It runs Android, so just grab the ComicScreen app and it will read anything.
About as good as my Paperwhite. But they cut corners on the USB cable, which never worked.

Attached: 20181221_170157_HDR.jpg (1836x1836, 879K)

Kobo aura h2o v2 is kino as fuck. Im going to read the iliad on my honeymoon.

wait, so can I torrent directly from ex/nyaa/etc and read it without ever touching a computer?

>Likebook
You got one(1) minute to convince me why I shouldn't preemptively drop an e-reader that uses "readed" to tell me how much I have read.

Attached: 1553414758533.jpg (891x717, 85K)

You can
Chink botnet > Bezos botnet

I need to get a bigger ereader. The paperwhite is great for books, but to small for mangos.

Attached: 20190811_192440-2016x1512.jpg (2016x1512, 645K)

>"readed"
What is this?
Is the chinese botnet obvious? If I get one of these, either I will keep it air gapped I guess or monitor the internet connections and see what it's connecting to. Are they flashable?

Is the oasis a worthwhile upgrade from the paperwhite? Anyone here have or had both?

Chinese botnet is just a meme; doesn't look like anyone's flashed/rooted them

you can just not connect it to wifi. it has no internal 3G modem.

I've looked into this and unfortunately there isn't anything good out there. There is only a 13 inch one made by a Chinese company. It blows and they don't make it anymore.

Attached: ss.jpg (501x423, 38K)

oh

Amazon has the last generation Kindle Oasis for 239. Is it worth the 40 more from the Likebook Mars?

yeah, that's what I meant by air gapped. But as the previous user said it's just a meme. Maybe I'm a bit too paranoid, but the supermicro scare was pretty real

>Kindle Oasis
It's an inch smaller so I guess it depends on if you want to read underwater

are there any of these damn things that are essentially a mass storage device with an eink display? I'd like one that doesn't have WiFi/cell service, doesn't require any bullshit software to install, and reads epubs. hook that thing up with a USB cable (via Linux obviously), copy my books, and get on with my life.

bonus points for redshifted backlight, expandable storage, possibility of running an open os, and generally being water resistant.

inb4 openinkpot. project is dead and the ereaders that it supported are a pain in the ass to acquire for burgers.

Better pic.

Attached: ss2.jpg (620x700, 67K)

it's an ereader, unless you're actually in china then the chinese gubment doesn't give a shit what subversive materials you read

Is there any firmware/software for Kindle Paperwhite (any model for the sake of post) that can reduce the screen's blue light / eye strain?

kek
I guess the waterproofing doesn't hurt if I go to humid areas. but the inch is a pretty big compromise
true, but I don't trust them any more

Is e-ink really worth it vs getting a tablet?

the advantage of a tablet is you can easily sideload books and also "check out" books from your local library using the override app

Is $16 a good deal for a first gen kindle?

I don't know of any dedicated e-Ink screens now but there are several 13" ereaders that also work as screens

Fags

You can do that with Android ereaders. A big reason I went with Android was that some of my textbooks are available as free apps in comparison to paying $70 for a PDF or $200 for the book itself

Bezos has artificially gimped the Kindle because everything is designed to funnel you back to the Amazon store. Android is the future if there is a future.

Saying the kindle doesn't support PDFs well is an understatement
Saying that using a kindle to view PDFs is absolute ass cancer that will make you want to kill yourself as you wait 10 seconds for a page to load so God forbid if you want to jump around a reference PDF is far more accurate.

I've been waiting since 2014 for this e-reader shit to get good but it doesn't seem to be happening. It's like there's an non-acquirable trinity of cost, size, and a non-gimped ecosystem where you can only get two out of the three parts.

Any thoughts on the Kobo Clara?

user, does the Likebook ever get updates? Since it's running android 6, it seems outdated

Yes, but they tend to be for Likebook-specific things like screen refresh/contrast settings or the reader apps

Anything related to security? Does it get any backported patches?

Not him, but I doubt it does. Although most people will probably only ever use the wifi when at home to access wikipedia or the like, and if you're concerned you can just turn off wifi

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I would have loved to use it to torrent things on, but it's not worth the risk

There's really no way to know exactly how much they're patching unless you ask them, from what I can see ... probably not a huge concern for Oriental comic book torrents

pretty accurate
i thought the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 would be godlike, but while it has all the features i want (for example physical buttons, water resistance, extreme battery life and folderview) the screen is worse compared to my old Kobo Glo HD (pic related).
Why is it so hard to built the perfect ereader ffs?
The touch hd 3 was so close..how can they make the screen worse than on a 4 years old device? the specs of the screen are the same, but the touch hd 3 simply lacks contrast (background not white enough, text not black enough)

Attached: ereader.jpg (2178x1557, 1.22M)

This sounds interesting. Can you recommend a good book scanner for A4 and smaller?
I've been looking at the Iris Scan Book 5.

whats a good device to read colored manga on?

Bump

I use a 8" Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 with a matte display protection film. Even if it isn't 100% paper like it's quite comfy to read on it, especially textbooks as they can be displayed in full colors and detail. The battery of this thing is ridiculous, if used purely for reading it can reach 20 screen hours but only around 10-12 if you add shitposting in.

eink score sheets are quite big: gvidomusic.com/product/lineup/#lineup_01

i have the original b&n nook since it came out, replaced the batteries once two years ago, still going strong. get a used one. its kind of annoyingly slow in the user menus but once you open a book that doesn't matter anymore until you finish it.

Is there an offline ereader which I can just hook up to my computer to load my pdfs/epubs and not worry about botnet and drmshit?

use calibre, dude. or koreader

A tablet

beat up a Chinese schoolboy and take his Onyx Youngy youtube.com/watch?v=Hudk3GJsqSc

absolutely horrendous

If you are not reading mangos, yes. Just keep in mind that it'll be a little slow and the device doesn't have backlight

I wanted to give an update on the Pocketbook Touch HD 3. I tried a few things today and I thin I found an easy way for me to get around the lowcontrast: Just using a bold font makes it much more readable.
I dont even know if other people would have this issue but I have to say that I suffer from higher order aberrations since I had Lasik eye surgery 3 years ago (search for "Lasik pupil size optical zone" to learn more), so my vision lacks contrast in general since 3 years and the PocketBook screen is only acceptable for me if I use bold fonts.
Everything else about this device is extremely nice. Folder navigation works like a charm (no botnet needed), its a lot faster than the Kobo Glo HD and its lighter and thinner while having a better battery life.

Attached: 20190812_211550.jpg (1512x2016, 1.21M)

Still using my Kindle Keyboard because I have very few fucks to give.
Some of the buttons are starting to get a bit mushy, though.

Looks fine to me in your pic.
Are you sure you're not just being a pussy?

Or you could just buy a kobo or virtually anything else and not have to go through the hassle of converting shit.

Maybe you should check your eyes. (Kinda ironic for me to say that with my fucked up post-Lasik vision)
Pic related is Kobo background vs Pocketbook background. Significant difference. Same for the darkness of the text.

Attached: background_ereader.jpg (120x50, 2K)

Honestly, Calibre makes converting most shit totally painless and mostly effortless. It's also handy to manage your "library of ill repute" if you catch my meaning, conversions or not.

Ah, I guess I just don't give a shit about minor differences.

Anyone have any experience with using Tachiyomi as their manga reader/getter with a Likebook Mars? I can't imagine there's any issues, but most users seem to be downloading manga from another source and using Moon+ or whatever to read.

IIRC in a thread a long time ago I read that you have to download the chapters you want beforehand because waiting for each individual page to load was numbness inducing or some shit. Can't remember if it was just that user's connection or just the way the likebook handled such things.

I've always been a bit tentative downloading chapter after chapter on tachiyomi, depending on the source, as I can recall some of those sites banning specific IP's permanently if it detects such and such traffic or whatever.

Getting from some other source of your choice and just using whatever viewer does seem to be the best way to use the likebook.

Damn that's unfortunate, I'll try it when I get my likebook but I'll keep my expectations low. It's not too big of a loss since I can still use it to keep up with ongoings on my phone but having to track-down downloads for non-licensed manga is going to be a pain.

>It's not too big of a loss
That's the way I'd look at it.
Transferring my chinois comics onto my kobo, sorting them into shelves etc., etc., is fucking boring me to tears.
I just use a tablet instead.
But if my e-reader just used android, well, that'd make sorting shit easier.

With ebook readers do you gradually get into the more expensive ones or is it one big leap?
I want one but all I can afford are kindles, id love to read manga on one of these instead of my nexus 7 where white and blue blind me.

Old and shit, but it still works fine.

Attached: IMG_20190812_181448-s.jpg (1120x1493, 1.09M)

Get the Oasis 2017, it has all the manga features from the japanese paperwhite, plus 32 gb and page turning is super quick.

Will you recommend buy the new oasis or should I wait for a new kobo? I want to use the eReader for reading comics other than books and need a large screen. Also, I want it to be pretty fast at handling pdfs, but don't want any android eReader.

It runs fine and downloads chapters fine. I prefer ComicScreen just because it handles split pages better.

Attached: likebook.webm (720x984, 2.82M)

my pepee hard