/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link
codesandbox.io - or here if you're using React/Angular/Vue

Attached: wdg.jpg (250x140, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/backticks-tildes/understanding-method-chaining-in-javascript-647a9004bd4f
pastebin.com/UB02TcPg
youtube.com/watch?v=s_m16-w6bBI
stackabuse.com/web-scraping-with-node-js/
boards.4channel.org/g/thread/72286122'
boards.4channel.org'}
boards.4channel.org.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I want to make my own append function like jquery has but can't quite grasp making chain functions. such as $('body').attach('some html here')

I read chain functions in this medium article here but it's by a nigger who's code doesn't even work right in a few places due to stupid errors like different capitalization.
medium.com/backticks-tildes/understanding-method-chaining-in-javascript-647a9004bd4f

Can anyone teach me chain commands so I can make things like .append() and whatnot? Here's my code.

class Chainable {
$(a) {
document.querySelector(a);
return this;
}

attach(b) {
var newcontent = document.createElement('div');
newcontent.innerHTML = b;

while (newcontent.firstChild) {
this.appendChild(newcontent.firstChild);
}
}
}

const chainableInstance = new Chainable()
chainableInstance

I figured it out. Here's my makeshift Jquery if anyone wants it. Can do $('element') to document get element, then several commands like .append('your html'), .remove(), .addclass(), .before(), .after()

pastebin.com/UB02TcPg

For my next experiment I'm going to fuck around with making a bootstrap clone

Would it be a bad idea to start using TypeScript mid-project?

Not really. It's pretty much just javascript. It all converts to javascript front end anyways. Might look unprofessional but oh well.

What if I delete all the .ts files after I'm done and only leave the compiled .js files to make it seem like I've been using JS the whole time?

No it compiles frontend to javascript to be readable to the browser. The backend shit is still all typescript, it doesn't magically change to javascript.

What do you mean? Yes it does. You write some code in typescript, compile it and it creates a JS file in the same directory.

What are you using? Doesn't do that for me in Angular.

I'm just using [email protected] and it works the same way with everything. I'm on a MERN project at the moment but I don't think it makes a difference.

Whether I compile manually from the cl or have compileOnSave set to 'true' in tsconfig, it does the same thing.

Anyone?

Attached: 1380950833496.png (298x360, 168K)

build a backend you lazy nigger

Well, I would gladly do it and will do if there is no other option.
The thing is that Building my own backend for something like that would require me to maintain whole infrastructure. I would have to buy a server and couldn't rely on automatic scaling like App Engine because I would still have no way to reliably communicate between instances. Coding it, including front end and all wouldn't be too much trouble for me, but if something breaks, whole system will break, potentially corrupting cache in all of the applications and so on. And my boss won't be happy that I spend few days developing a new tool only I understand while there are nice and pretty alternatives other developers are experiences with.

>pay 5 dollars a month for linode
>use an open source alternative to Firebase like GUN
>have an API you 100% control the server on
>other people code for said alternative for you, you literally just use GIT
>save money on shitbase
>it's easy to learn even if you're a beta bitchboi just like firebase

Attached: 1564608648140.jpg (673x673, 43K)

Your moms embed. With me.

Have sex

i am with your mom

Thanks, that looks good. Still doesn't solve problem with scaling though.

However I'm interested if either GUN or Firebase solves all 3 problems I've mentioned. I need them to do exactly that or there is no point of using it at all. I imagine one time events might be doable, but what about automatic timed events?
Also don't call be beta bitchboi, faggot. I'd happily write it all myself but the management won't be happy if I reinvented the wheel.

>management won't be happy
you do sound like a spineless bitchboi

I'd assume it works with automatic timed events, the creator was able to put it in a VR game which means it's definitely reactive.
youtube.com/watch?v=s_m16-w6bBI

Is it hard to integrate api ?
More Specifically flights and hotels services for a travel website. I though to write a travel website for my second project as a newbie web developer but not sure if i'm way over my head and should choose something more simple ? I barely know anything about apis, just watched several youtube videos of what it is.

>Is it hard to integrate api ?
No, you're just sending requests. If the documentation is shit you might have some trouble figuring out what to do at first, though.

need to make site, going to do wordpress. any recommended themes?

Attached: twerkit.gif (400x225, 696K)

>wordpress

BUMP then bed

I am building a chat app. Does anybody know a simple boilerplate for front-end, so that I don't have to do all that from scratch? Google is failing me

Cant you just generate the html/css via some tool or framework idk. Im bad at "design" and writing that shit manually. just want something minimalistic that looks good.

What do I put on my resume if I've literally not worked anywhere? All I've got is my portfolio on GitHub.

>All I've got is my portfolio on GitHub
Put your portfolio on GitHub.

Ok. Is it ok to leave out 'work experience' section on resumes?

You've literally never had a job ever? It should be fine if you're like 19.

Anyone use Yii here?

I have to use "find" on a model but I need to get data that isn't provided from that table.

How can I do that? Doesn't seem to be a method to override find or add stuff to it.

I just need to get the count of records from a different table returned.

No, I've just been a NEET. I'm 26 now but have a very good portfolio. Just stuck on what to put on my resume

you dont need wordpress

use a static site generator like pelican or hugo
and host it on a quark server, or lighthttpd or if you need more, nginx.

What I did when I was starting out in 2017 was I put a personal experience section with a list of my portfolio projects.

I focused more on the techs used than the actual project itself, so I would list like example.com then Amazon Product Search API integration with affiliate link generation.

Why can't i crawl embedded links with wget. I tried to crawl some sales forms from cognito forms and I got BTFO

Should I learn Vue or React for freelance work? Obviously React is better for finding jobs but I've heard Vue is easier to learn and more pleasant to use.

retard beginner here
I want to write a small js script (exclusively for my own use, security is not a concern) where I can put an arbitrary URL in, put the website's html into a variable and then mess around with it. I don't want to execute any js, I don't want to make any more requests, I don't want to display the website, I just want to get the exact same stuff as I would get from "view page source" but as a a string.

Can I actually fucking do that? Because attempting to search for a code snippet - take into account, am retard - exclusively brings up articles about either complete website scraping (/w images, scripts, etc) or cross-domain security and json requests.

>Because attempting to search for a code snippet - take into account, am retard - exclusively brings up articles about either complete website scraping (/w images, scripts, etc) or cross-domain security and json requests.
What you're describing is web scraping so start there.

>stackabuse.com/web-scraping-with-node-js/

How long would it take for someone to get good enough to be able to get a work from home position in web development?

>Obviously React is better for finding jobs but I've heard Vue is easier to learn and more pleasant to use.
What you're saying is correct.
>choose for me
You have to make your own decisions.

Yep.
fetch(url)
.then(res => res.text())
.then(text => {
const sourceCode = text;
// The site's source is stored in `sourceCode` as a string, do whatever you want
});

Access to fetch at 'boards.4channel.org/g/thread/72286122' from origin 'null' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.
GET net::ERR_FAILED
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Failed to fetch

how do I not get that.
I tried adding
mode: 'cors',headers:{'Access-Control-Allow-Origin':''boards.4channel.org'}
but that only resulted in me getting
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at 'boards.4channel.org. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).

cors is cancer
i want to kill myself

Your browser runs JS in sandbox mode, unless you disable CORS, you won't be able to do that request from another domain.

CORS headers should be on server side.
Write/setup proxy or disable CORS on browser. You can't just add JS to your website that scans your whole LAN.

Do not execute foreign JS while cors disabled.

anyone write code while high? How was it? Would you recommend it every once and a while?

Attached: strong strong leopard.jpg (640x800, 62K)

That sounds good, I'll do it that way. Hopefully won't get too many questions about having no work history lol

You won't. If they ask then just say it wasn't relevant to the industry.

Chrome or Firefox for debugging JS?

I've been using Chrome because that's what javascript.info references, but since I use Firefox normally maybe I should use that. I don't know.

What are some pros and cons of each?

Thanks dude

no problem. remember to stick to having no more than 1 page in length, so usually you can expand your personal experience to fill in the page.

Then once you get professional experience you start to trim out the personal experience until you have nothing but professional.

Use Firefox (Developer Edition), the FF DevTools are very good and frankly even better than Chrome's in many aspects. Sometimes you'll need the Chrome DevTools anyway (e.g. for debugging Node, because it runs on V8), but other than that you can't go wrong with FF's dev tools.

you could just title it 'Relevant Experience' and say you didnt include your 5 years of landscaping job cause it wasnt relevant. they arent going to check

Noice, I didn't even know this existed!

managed to disable CORS in firefox, and everything seems to be working now.
Bless ya, guys.

Why is php considered easy ?

What's your back-end? Socket.io-client maybe?

Yes.
It's also considered shit.

How is it shit?

It's a bit of a chaotic language, very sandbox-like. No static typing but it isn't like JS where methods and properties can be tacked on to the end of strings, arrays and object literals -- everything is a function instead, and with no cohesive naming structure or argument order so you're constantly searching on Google whether there is a function native to PHP to do x and which order to put the arguments within that function.

Basically PHP presents an overbearing feeling of everything being slapped on with no actual structure. For someone who has used any other programming language in the modern day, it'll make them want to kill themselves, because writing something in PHP is ten times harder than in any other server-side language and it makes the developer feel that they shouldn't have to put up with its shit so they move to Node, Java or literally any other language at all used in the modern day.

So that is how it is shit. As for it being easy, it's easy to make something but not to actual usable standard.

I have a job offer from Tinder and another from Facebook. Which should I take /wdg/?

The fuck is this for complaint?
PHP has a lot built in but that just mean reading language documentation instead of the documentation of some library. Hardly a massive difference.

And about building something to "usable standard" their are web frameworks that take care of most of the pitfalls u would fall into with the language. So i really dont see the issue considering ur going to be using one framework or another with any other language.

PHP is great for starting out web development cause it give u a lot of tools for free.

Go with the FAANG

thoughts on ktor?

user PHP is shit and just because you can build a framework like Laravel to make it bearable doesn't mean it's not shit.

its all the same shit to me when it comes to web dev. I need to recieve send requests and talk to a database.
I wouldnt use php for anything else though, so in that respect yes its shit.

based and TC pilled

are you worried about their reputations and potential upcoming regulations?

Dude, Facebook is extremely popular with boomers. They won't know what a Tinder is, but they'll know what a facebook is.

I feel like Facebook would have a ton of projects available to work on rather than dude lmao dating app

nice dubs tho

zoomers will take over once the boomers are dead though. this is basically what's stopping me from auto-accepting FB's offer because their comp is much nicer than Tinders (but Tinder's is nothing to shake a stick at). Tinder also has some good opportunities for growth because zoomers love dating apps, especially Tinder. check out Match's stock performance.

this is very true, FB will have some fantastic projects and I know Tinder's first couple of projects are going to be relatively lame (moving them to gRPC, for example)

dont look at it as a lifelong job, just another resume booster, plus I feel like working at one FAANG could allow you to easily apply to others

hmm fair and I could spin their bad rep on my resume for future jobs too.
>I was brought on at a time when facebook was really struggling with privacy issues and I wanted to help them get out of that situation.

You want facebook on your resume.

This.

You do NOT want to work at one of those places for too long. They burn you out and dump you then you're fucked until you recover.
Take it on the resume and then apply to small companies that make bank. They are lenient and chill and pay a lot.
I'm that 168k fag. My company has like 6 developers and then project leads and that's pretty much it. They provide very expensive software to multi-billion dollar a year companies.

I'm not sure what's the opinion about codecademy here but I think it is fine just as your very first contact with programming.
I know JS already, tried doing their PHP section and it feels dreadful as fuck going over the repetitive stuff.
I just headed to Learn X in Y min.

>168k fag
sorry not familiar, what's your story user?

I went from 10 dollars an hour to 168k in just over 2 years.

I regularly throw out the income so people consider my advice with a little more weight when it comes to getting jobs or what path they should take to get to where they want to be.

What's a website that employers would consider you for hire for making?

What is the general look and feel?

Do you want to learn PHP?
A lot of people new to programming seems to assume web development and PHP goes hand in hand, but you don't actually need, nor will miss anything by not using PHP.

>but you don't actually need, nor will miss anything by not using PHP.

Well user there's a lot of demand for this shit in my area, I'm doing it for a reason.

Doesn't matter. Use bootstrap and make crud apps. Consume APIs, integrate some cool stuff like twilio.

Don't do todo lists.

Im working IT helpdesk and want to move away from servicing and more into a creative role
I have general computer literacy and can navigate terminals but nothing further

How long would you think itd take me to land a front end position to start my webdev career?

grats user! that's pretty good, you must be doing something well. what kind of work do you do?

im gonna be perfectly honest webdev is cancer tbqh, especially outside of tech hubs like san francisco

I don't know if I ever see just front-end roles. Everyone kind of does everything and is expected to know everything.

I don't think I've met a developer yet that I wouldn't consider full-stack.

From where you are I would honestly move into server administration or dba.

It would be quicker to learn like MSSQL or something and get really really good at it. I thought I was good by doing dynamic pivots and stuff but our DBA is fucking crazy. He took my php code and turned it into a stored procedure that cut the time down from 2 minutes to 8 seconds. I optimized it down from 35 minutes so that's just insane.

If you go systems admin or dba then you're looking at 6 months. Do you have a math degree or anything? Being a data scientist would be cool too.

Regular web dev though you are looking at about 6 months to a year, or longer, to land a basic junior role and it will most likely be with some basic back-end language like php or ruby on rails.

>you dont need wordpress

i agree but i need something to accept payments

but I am going to try out the static gen, looks cool

Use github pages

so webdev as a hobby?

This except Netflix

It usually starts out that way unless you have a cs degree.

what shopping cart could I use with hugo?

I've got a react component that just has some JSX in it, when I try adding a console.log(this.props.myThing) in the first line of the component's class I get an error, what could be causing this?

is in the constructor, render method, or a lifecycle hook?

The component has no constructor, it's outside the render() method and I have no idea what hooks are

Is it inside any methods at all? What the hell are you trying to do? That sounds like invalid JS syntax.

I forgot JSX needs everything in function, thanks user.

That has nothing to do with JSX, did you ever declare a class before in any programming language?

If I'm not mistaken, you can run JS anywhere by placing {} around your code. Try that.

pls halp im getting quite tired and confused, ive been trying to set up an OpenIB server, installed it fine it seems, but now i cant do jack shit, just now it says that it cant connect in pic related, but 20 mins ago it said the database itself had some problems, i cant understand the log and im getting quite anxious of the whole thing, if you need it i can upload the log but pls help

Attached: sha.png (1680x1050, 26K)