This was the worst thing to happen to the internet in recent times, prove me wrong

This was the worst thing to happen to the internet in recent times, prove me wrong.
>closed-source
>shit communities
>low barrier of entry that promotes communities filled with ironic garbage people who have no value

Attached: discord.jpg (400x400, 9K)

influx of cumbrains and e-whores, but is it that much worse than the last decade of IRC that was just silent channels and detatched fringe crazy people wagging their e-peens?

Do people still use this malware?

>low barrier of entry that promotes communities filled with ironic garbage people who have no value
>says that on an imageboard

"low barrier of entry" is not a bad thing you elitist circlejerking prick

otherwise discord is pretty shitty though imo

maybe read to the end of a sentence next time you're gonna comment on it fucknut

It's an easy to use communication platform.
Problem is that the open alternatives are too hard to deploy and run yourself. Docker containers exist but to be honest that's not easy enough. There needs to be some point and clicks.

No one's forcing you to use it.

Also I never even knew what IRC was for so long because it seemed like a cool kid's club to me. But I eventually went there to appeal a ban, and the mods were such emotional circlejerking cunts. They literally had no argument besides three of them vomiting over each other to validate themselves. Then one of them banned me for a reddit strawman reason a la "LE XDDDDDD BAN APPEAL". Then all my input was immediately lost to myself, since it kicked me out.

I don't understand why people sucked the dick of IRC so hard when it had no infrastructure whatsoever to even allow rational discourse to be possible. And no one criticized this at all, ever, in the history of time.

Nah, that's still facebook and twitter.

Why is discord so hated? I've never used it

webclient.madirc.net #Elite
tor.madirc.net

it's full of g*mers

I did read it you idiot. I don't really see how that even makes your experience with it worse and communities being shitty is pretty subjective anyways. It's not like you have to be a part of those.

reddit

The only issue is that it's so popular people don't want to try anything else. People who don't want to use it are forced to if their friends are all using it.

This. Discord is just IRC with customizable emojis.

So literally the same as ICQ/Teamspeak/IRC/Skype/Mumble/literally any single messenger ever.

To be honest I was expecting to somehow be told to "go back" to a hugbox or something for not deepthroating a garbage level of discourse.

Discourse on Jow Forums is routinely just social posturing as well, but IRC straight robs you of your input if the person in power doesn't like it. To me it's not even a sound option to type anything at all into. There's no defence for this except "just social posture more effectively".

>yet another chat program is the worst thing that happened to the internet

bruh... these things existed forever.
discord changed absolutely nothing u retard.

Discord didn't snap it's fingers one day and shit on an otherwise pristine internet, it came LONG after shit became the way it is.
It's merely supplying a demand for an easy IRC like thing with bells, whistles and a nice looking UI, and other than their cringy tendency to make info in the program more "wacky" (I can't put it to words well, but you know exactly what I mean) I'd say it does a pretty good job, I'll admit I'm fond of Discord as a piece of software.
If you think faggots wouldn't be faggots if Discord wasn't here you're sorely mistaken.
Your post reminds me of the middle strip in that one Gunshow comic, now it's just "pffft, discord kiddies", and in a few years it will be something else.

Attached: 20140516.png (750x1082, 454K)

its a government honeypot right? it couldnt have taken over so fast otherwise

I don't get the bottom panels. What is a young person doing watching ren and stimpy

This is the same argument against reddit

>durr if I go to a shit subreddit why is it shit?
>durr if I go to a shit chatroom why is it shit?

Don't be a brainlet

Discord also lets you create bots that can spy on its userbase. So when you don't have a greedy corporation spying on you, you can bet that some script-kiddie with an axe to grind is spying on you.

Attached: 5zj9h4jt23001.png (1920x1080, 753K)

>No one's forcing you to use it.
This is not an argument. OP's issue is that it Discord creates bad communities and then attracts people, who, if Discord didn't exist, would possibly join good communities instead. It's something that you can't solve by just not using Discord.

I also would like to add that I personally am not against Discord, I'm just pointing out that your response is completely unrelated to what OP wrote.

Recom me some good irc channels

>Discord creates bad communities and then attracts people, who, if Discord didn't exist, would possibly join good communities instead.
Wow sound great. Remove the containment medium.

>I'm fond of Discord as a piece of software.
>proprietary
>spyware
>chink
>electron
Hahah, kys.

I'm glad there is a centralised platform for IRC now but couldn't it have been anything else other than discord. Fuck

Jow Forums has a low barrier to entry when you think about it

Exactly. And Jow Forums is mostly a huge pile of shit desu.

>Last update 2017
I don't want to join the botnet, but keeping friends on mumle is getting hard

Attached: 1200px-Icons_mumble.svg.png (1200x1200, 183K)

>closed-source
do you really think the vast majority of people care?
>shit communities
if only there was some way I could avoid joining them. there's shit communities all over the internet, there's shit people all over the world. welcome to real life
>>low barrier of entry that promotes communities filled with ironic garbage people who have no value
he says on the fourth channel

Yeah it is that much worse

Discord is just a fucking messanger tool,you don't have to join the shitty communities or use the "spying" bots.discord is only shit when you join some overwatch community full of e-thots

>closed-source
fair enough
>shit communities
create your own community
>low barrier of entry
and yet you can't even create your non-shit community

wow

Actual Discord problems:
>closed source
>non-federated, centralized
>no E2E encryption option
>can't be self-hosted
>under complete control of a corporation
>datamining

Non-problems (not a real issue or merely a community problem):
>shitty communities
>gaming-related stuff
>meme-spewing morons
>easy to use
>electron
>image posting and emoji reactions
>low barrier of entry

TL;DR: use Matrix

We are not talking about spying discord bots, we are talking about discord itself spying on us.

>closed source
That implies open source is would be better, but it has to be free software to be truly ethical software.

Jow Forums has a somewhat higher barrier than discord or reddit in my opinion. Simply because many normies will find it confusing or disturbing, at least initially.

cunt muh secret club is well and truly dead, you're retarded to think that normies didn't take over a long time ago

Moot fucking ruined the site with that native extension.

It updates every month. Stop using the """stable""" version.

You forgot, "sells all your data and conversations to companies and governments."

>mods were such emotional circlejerking cunts
Welcome to the internet.

Attached: 1489147925139.gif (313x214, 2.99M)

>Closed source
No it's not

Yes, but it is mostly for "donating" companies to get user info.

Attached: discord.png (718x383, 157K)

It's definitely an antifa honeypot. They dox right wingers and they do it for free.

>No one's forcing you to use it.
One of the main tactics for this sort of thing is to buy out all the competition, create an illegal monopoly, and if you want to have that type of service you have only 1 thing to use.

Attached: 2007.jpg (900x2002, 827K)

You say that yet old people post on Jow Forums. Jow Forums lost that barrier years ago. People will find Jow Forums disturbing but will still come here to shitpost anyways.

This isn't Jow Forums. You should go back there.

Attached: 2018 November 23 - Everyone is still a newfag.jpg (1683x1690, 281K)

> but keeping friends on mumle is getting hard
Fairly easy for me, if Discord or TS wasn't complete dogshit it might be more difficult though.

>Jow Forums has a somewhat higher barrier
summerfags GTFO

Yes it is.

I feel like discord's main use isn't to join the shitty communities, but to provide decent quality voice communication with people you're gaming with.

>I need to use potentially unstable software to stay up to date
My friends are ultra normies and already have issues setting up mumble

Attached: 8k9yzqgkrbf31.jpg (750x1334, 101K)

>need to use potentially unstable software to stay up to date
So? It's literally the same shit as discord and windows 10. The stable version of mumble is just made for autists, businesses and servers, not your average desktop user.

How can you have issues setting up mumble when it's easier than discord?
>open mumble
>find a server or get invited
>join
vs
>open discord
>register email
>confirm email
>get invited to a server
>join

There are no decent Matrix clients

based

What is worse about this than facebook, instagram, twitter and the other malware? Or teamspeak, for that matter?

No, people didn't migrate away from superior solutions, they already came from the same kind of shit.

>Discord, specifically, is the problem
nigger, the internet has been unsalvageable for upwards of a decade. leave Discord alone

Discord is a great software, its irc-msn-hamachi-teamspeak-xfire-ventrillo etc combined.
I wish we had such a tool in my youth.

I'm also glad it became a normie magnet, there was too much normie infestation in mongolian cartoon boards in 15-16, most of them fucked off to discord.

>most of them fucked off to discord.
And then proceed to use Jow Forums as a shitting ground.

>No one's forcing you to use it
This is becoming less and less true each day. Discord has become so proliferated that it's becoming the only option to connect with a community, especially if that community on Discord is officially owned. It's so bad that some smaller groups have resorted to just posting download links to things that you care about on Discord and nothing else, even if they have a forum.

Not as much as you think,
they rather circlejerk with their small group and have admin powers than to be an anonymous dot here

And before they posted facebook post links on their forums, what's the difference?

Support the open sauce alternatives if you don't like this situation, I guess.

>electron
>not a problem
kys

>electron isn't a problem
the absolute state of matrixfags
this why your trashfire will never replace IRC

Are you serious? There is constant drama and raids coming from d*scord servers, just take a look at the current state of Jow Forums

No, electron isn't the problem that makes Discord non-viable. Normalfags usually don't mind it at all and, had it been an open protocol, non-electron implementations could be written for spergs.

is there a Jow Forums channel on this shit? I'm in one but I don't like the posters in there

There actually is a native Discord client.

>it had no infrastructure whatsoever to even allow rational discourse to be possible
you used irc once, went on a shitty Jow Forums mod channel, didn't get your ban overturned and now blame the entire protocol for not allowing "rational discourse to be possible"?
i honestly wish you didn't get back on this site at all

There are several with varying levels of feature support, but the Discord devs are somewhat hostile towards third-party clients (ranging between "no support, too bad if an API change breaks it" to "you can get banned for certain behavior or just trying to log in"). This also doesn't make Discord any more acceptable either; it's not electron that makes Discord bad.

>If you think faggots wouldn't be faggots if Discord wasn't here you're sorely mistaken.
Sure, but giving Discord to faggots is like giving a common courtyard to supermax detainees. Agree and amplify doesn't solve many problems.

weechat has a matrix plugin
never tried it though

You could probably fix most of the privacy issues by running it in a browser and using the E2E plugin that lets you use end-to-end encrypted messaging.

Such a plugin would also require anyone I'm talking with to use it. At that point, why would I not just use Matrix, which has that feature implemented natively and significantly better?

Nor decent Matrix servers, really.

I believe that the community and usage makes the platform, and Matrix is nothing compared to Discord on that front. I've tried using Matrix a while back and it really didn't feel as nice to use as Discord, like at all. Really the only alternative I could go to if Discord disappeared would be Telegram.

Telegram also has centralized, non-federated server that you can't self-host. That alone already makes it unsuitable for a general-purpose communication platform. Also, Telegram had some major issues with shitty homebrew crypto stuff a few years ago, so I place low trust in that.

>Using centralized garbage in this day and age.
Friendly reminder that Discord will shut down your server without warning if the content of your server inconvenience them in some way.

If there was a self-hosted communication software that was as easy to use and smooth as Discord I'd definitely give it a shot, but even then it's hard to get people to move. Back in 2015 when Discord was created, I tried moving people from Skype and they wouldn't budge.

Maybe I should just start reporting my guild's servers so they finally move on to something else

i am truly amazed at how nobody in the world seems to care for that

At the moment, Matrix with Riot.im as the client has more or less all notable Discord features except good voice chat and channel groups (Discord guilds/Matrix communities).

I thought it was kind of overwhelming and definitely a lot more confusing than Discord, so I think I'll just give it time to mature. It definitely has potential though.

If you haven't used Riot.im since the 1.0 release (2019-02-14), perhaps check it out again. The UI has been redone and is slightly less shit now.

I think it is the, "I got nuttin' to hide!" mentality. Unfortunately, the more places your info is contained online and the more people who have access to your info the higher the chance there is for identity theft. Which can be utterly life destroying.

Ah alright, I haven't used it since late 2017 so that's nice to hear.

Whoops, meant late 2018*

>except good voice chat and channel groups
That's the whole damn reason for using Discord

Yeah our janny IRC is one of the most confusing and sad places I've ever been

From my experience, not really. Most big communities use it for general-purpose chatroom with filesharing. The voice chat bit is usually used by smaller communities and these can often be persuaded to use Mumble instead.
Agreed on groups, though. Hopefully the upcoming group rework makes Matrix a good option there, though.

Over a decade ago, putting your real name on the internet was frowned upon and look at where we are now.

Attached: 1550616529705.jpg (1600x1120, 540K)

My whole experience relating to Discord is through gaming, and that's all they use Discord for. I would assume they're a huge chunk of its userbase.

NO IT'S THIS. AND NOW THEY'RE USING MACHINE LEARNING TO MAKE IT EVEN HARDER FOR UGLIES TO GET MATCHES!!!

Attached: tinder.png (1200x1200, 93K)

Same, but most communities I've been in use it for organization and general chatter primarily and voice chat secondarily, if at all.