How is it that no-one sells a real open source smartphone?

As far as I can tell, there is no fully open source smartphone anywhere. Not even the PiPhone is fully open source because of the BCM2835 datasheets which are locked behind an NDA. We've got everything we would need to make a non-cucked modern-day (((smart)))phone with projects like OsmocomBB (based on the leaked Calypso datasheets, that's why it's even possible, all legitimate completely legal attempts are impossible because of (((them)))); A decent selection of mobile-friendly processors and many other projects, yet in an attempt to stay on top of modern "trends" we see personal liberties sacrificed in products aimed at the privacy sperg community for relatively stupid things like 4G and better performance (That Librem 5 honeypot mess reeks of shit, how could they sacrifice an open source baseband for 4G?)

Attached: cunts.jpg (842x514, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20181225223450/https://www.qualcomm.com/products/izat
puri.sm/faq/):
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because a smartphone is a consumer product that needs massive investment and economies of scale to exist in a saturated market. And any time somebody tries to do something remotely consumer-friendly in the FOSS space, the GNU/freetards and "high IQ" basement-dwelling elitists come screeching out of the woodwork about dumbing down this and violating gpl that. Just look at how Ubuntu is treated around here.

Seriously, the "free software movement" was never about muh freedom. It appeared at the intersection of 70s-80s academia teaching its students communism and megacorps giving those students stupidly expensive and complex toys to play with to then recruit the best players. The ones who didn't win their ticket to adult life just kept playing. Open source is not about some hippie's freedom to mangle software, it's about the tool being transparent and modifiable to a competent user, same as good guns never come with proprietary fasteners (or much tool-dependent fasteners at all).

Stallman is a looney and he cucked y'all out of your youth and energy, and some of you out of a productive and successful career in a massive and exponentially growing industry. Instead, you're here arguing that silicon logic developers should devaluate their IP by "open-sourcing" the designs that are their main asset and sole source of their market valuation, because otherwise, (((they))) can eavesdrop on your lolicon habits.

Seriously guys, it's sad.

Did you even read the post asshole?

And yes, 4G baseband is more important than muh open source, because there are already networks built out that don't have the radios for anything older than LTE. No amount of privacy masturbation excuses a smartphone that flat out refuses to work on the best mobile networks available and is hardcapped to retard speeds on legacy networks.

The money you spent on this special snowflake phone would have been best spent funding an independent audit of one or two popular basebands by well-trusted independent research teams or, even better, lobbying for regulation requiring such audits to be part of FCC approval process.

Purism are not Elon Musk. They don't have the money, the vision or the connections to seed fund a startup to profitably fix a problem they see as important. They are a bunch of VC con men tardwrangling a team of open source neckbeards to cash in on the privacy moral panic that would never seem to end. And with solutions like this, there will be no end to the privacy rape train.

you mad bro?

>you're here arguing that silicon logic developers should devaluate their IP by "open-sourcing" the designs that are their main asset and sole source of their market valuation, because otherwise, (((they))) can eavesdrop on your lolicon habits.
If such slavery and surveillance treachery are the only things keeping these fuckers afloat, maybe they don’t deserve to keep existing

> The money you spent on this special snowflake phone would have been best spent
Learn proper grammar before posting asshat, come back when you live in a country that actually teaches proper usage of tenses and reading comprehension

>any time somebody tries to do something remotely consumer-friendly
yes we know, every time some company tries to ship another spying botnet they're actually just being "consumer-friendly" and the intentions are oh-so-pure

>the designs that are their main asset and sole source of their market valuation
not my fault they put all their eggs in the mass surveillance basket and are now regretting that decision

Seething libretards ITT.

There is no slavery and treachery.

There are a few companies with enough technical chops in highly specialized fields to develop solutions for actual customer requirements. They invested huge sums of money and even more time and work into these solutions. It's only fair that those who didn't invest anything are denied the right to copy and make knock-offs of these solutions. They deserve to keep existing by virtue of making things a lot of people actually need.

Then there is a government so complicated nobody really knows how it works. One branch of it provides enforcement of the legal protection that those who invest in innovation enjoy. Another branch seeks to exploit the first one's authority to force the vendor to sabotage those solutions. Or maybe it doesn't. We'll never know because somebody already said "ebin agencies are spying on everyone all the time" and the proper questions are never asked anymore.

And then there is a group of people, too small to represent a viable consumer base for anything but a boutique product, yet too poor to afford it, and not nearly organized enough to gain the influence to actually ask the right questions and demand answers. A group of neomaniac technophiles who believe technology should be able to solve problems of policy, trust and other issues of human condition. Because when faced with these issues, their only response is to escape into technology.

Guess which ones are you?

Attached: 1556139214860.jpg (360x360, 27K)

In case of phone basebands, we won't know if any company actually shipped any spying botnet. In response to spurious claims that some of them may have done something like that once or twice, the proud "privacy community" just decided to tar-and-feather the whole industry without even trying to find out if any of this is true.

>put all their eggs in the mass surveillance basket
You're confusing baseband developers with the likes of Palantir and other alphabet-soup-funded big data "startups". Mass surveillance isn't even a basket for the silicon vendors. Loss of business when some shenanigans come to light is far bigger risk than anything the n-word-agency could ever really do to them. Where are Palantir and Cambrige Analytica nowadays, btw?

Silicon development is a highly specialized business, and a competitive company will by necessity have a pretty narrow target market scope. Compare Intel, who diversified to the point of having to sell entire divisions to Apple and release glued-together not-for-resale 400W rackfires to maintain at least an image of competence and profitability, to AMD that's underdogging 2 markets with laser focus and aggressive execution. Intel makes ~15 different kinds of chip, AMD makes 2,5. Guess who ends up better at those 2,5?
So, you have to understand, that to a company that makes ~2,5 kinds of chip and is very good at it,IP is everything. And the paranoid masses aren't nearly massive enough to risk compromising that IP to appease them. Best we could ask for is a thorough audit by independent research teams under strict NDA. Anything more radical just sounds unbusinesslike.

you are 'mansplaining' son
i understand it completely and i still disagree with it, i don't care if that company fetishizes 'intellectual property' to the point where they will go out of business if every else disagrees with their narrow definition of what that term actually means

That's the thing though: nobody disagrees about what "intellectual property" actually means, or what measures are appropriate to protect it. Especially in the silicon business.

GNU/libretards aren't even on third-wave-feminism level of social influence (note that you are using their bullshit word 'mansplaining' instead of them using something like 'libre women'). You can't change that definition by disagreeing with it on a cambodian basket-weaving appreciation forum.

You MAY change it by demonstrating that a company making innovative, high-added-value products can survive and thrive on the market without using common measures to protect its IP, but I don't see you, or Purism, or anyone else really trying.

You MAY change it by creating a powerful political bloc (leftism is at its peak popularity now), taking control of some legislative body and writing your definition into law, but I don't see any lefties picking up the ball in US Congress, and I almost forgot there was a EU Pirate Party until this thread. Today's lefties are more interested in advocating degeneracy and cultural marxism than tackling actual human rights issues like they ought to in a properly balanced political spectrum.

You could try to bloc with libertarians, but their anti-government attitude plus the anti-business attitude exhibited ITT would just make it a somewhat amusing catfight.

tl;dr we live in a society, deal with it

>nobody disagrees with what it means!
>especially not these giant companies who profit from hoarding it at the expense of everyone else!
btw the rest of your post is brainlet Jow Forums shit and not worth responding to

You mean those giant companies who created the whole field, including the standards that OP argues about?

And no, actually your previous post is Jow Forums-tier brain fart, just with a different lean. Your two posts can be succinctly summarized as
>reee, why won't everyone change their business models, standards and hardware specs to suit my all-encompassing definition of muh freedoms? they must be evil capitalist nazis!

Convince them to change their business models by making your own or at least legislating them out of the market. Or remain the 1% niche nobody cares about.

based angry man poster

>You mean those giant companies who created the whole field
same old corporate bootlicking, zzzz

>>reee, why won't everyone change their business models, standards and hardware specs to suit my all-encompassing definition of muh freedoms? they must be evil capitalist nazis!
strawman

>Convince them to change their business models by making your own or at least legislating them out of the market. Or remain the 1% niche nobody cares about.
i won't be doing any of these

You cunts do realize that open sourcing a baseband is illegal in many countries, right? That's why the only open source baseband we've got is some shitty one where the datasheets were leaked 10-20 years ago

ubuntu is not freesoftwrae, its that simple

open source is not free software necessarily

cuckolding is a valid fetish.

Holy shit, this is one incredible series of posts. Never in the history of this board have freetards been so colossally bee tee eff oh by hard truths.

why would some one go on an ugandan giraffe husbandry forum and post this?

Attached: Bernie-for-ice-cream.jpg (931x524, 79K)

OsmocomBB is 3g shit that isn't legal to use on a phone carrier's network.

What the *fuck* are you doing on Jow Forums? Blowing sputtering freetards AND Purism cultists the fuck out in ways I never could hope for. Someone screencap this shit and post it in every Purism marketing thread from now on.

Attached: 1564889609139.jpg (638x336, 32K)

lmao this guy blew you the fuck out and all you have are dumbfuck memes and buzzwords

the absolute state of "libre" hardware sheeple

Has anybody used the ZTE atom M?
The reviews say it sucks, but it seems for only superficial shit like not having a 10 hour battery.
It would be nice to know if it can be rooted or not.

Attached: E2F92CB9-3675-4A01-903E-A49467F4298D.jpg (480x288, 24K)

>"btfo"
>by spouting the same lame talking points we get here all week every week from shills about how muh apple/samsung/huawei need more $$

grow the fuck up

he actually made some pretty good points while all you have is literal nonsense troll mouth-shitting and dropping brand names because you can't understand anything that doesn't have a logo on it

go back to the_donald or Jow Forums or whatever braindead shithole your reddit spacing ass came from lol

It sure sucked for a $700 phone, but it's much cheaper now.
And you could find that out if you just searched for "root zte axon m"

>he actually made some pretty good points

he did nothing of the sort because all his posts stem from a false premise, there is no point in me trying to refute arguments made by a shill

>reddit spacing

i'm pressing the enter key
even more times

just for you

>s-shill, SHILL!
lol seriously shut the fuck up sheep

Attached: 1564530440876.jpg (403x394, 34K)

>criticizes me for name calling
>entire post is name calling

classic

>all his posts stem from a false premise
...And that is?

>Mass surveillance isn't even a basket for the silicon vendors.

Qualcomm iZat is built right into the chipset.

web.archive.org/web/20181225223450/https://www.qualcomm.com/products/izat

continuously apologizing for the actions of a handful of companies that he knows are poorly behaved just because he has a bone to pick with "freetards", the same freetards that even he admits lack the power to do anything about this bad behavior

this is blatant shill tactics, you should be able to spot it from a mile away. the only thing i agree with him about is that purism is a trash company

>but they acknowledge GPS is a thing! checkmate!

Attached: 1558213266499.png (499x338, 38K)

I don't see any apologizing, he laid out reality while all you're doing is shitting out meaningless tweets and buzzwords because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about and refuse to admit it.

Shut the fuck up and go mouth-shit in another consumerist thread, the adults are talking.

>haha yeah the adults are talking let us just talk about how great these companies are that we totally don't work for and how the only reality is one in which everything they do is correct and reasonable

like i said, this is trash shill posting, you should be able to spot it, but for some reason, you can't, why is that?

the "companies with technical chops" argument would be a lot stronger if QCOM wasn't getting sued by the FTC right now. it was also their shady contracts, not technical chops that forced Intel to pull out of the modem business.

good one mate. spyware built into the SoC is definitely the same as GPS.

I don't think you actually read any of his posts and all you're doing is projecting your own insecurities and cock sucking tendencies on others.

Just. Stop. Posting.

i don't work for a phone company so you're wrong there, you didn't answer my question and you can't because you know full well you're defending a shill

Why are you such a disingenuous and dishonest piece of shit? And what question? You're just blurting out baseless buzzwords in an attempt to bury shit you can't refute, no actual questions are being asked.

>...but they made mistakes! got em!
we get that you're a braindead consumer who cannot separate the concept of brand from god, but seriously do you even read your dumb shit before you post it? you were probably a mactard before the cambridge analytica scandal made you realize pretending to care about privacy was more fashionable.
>g-guys, it processes user data and I don't understand it, it's technically spyware! that's a scary word!
best purism shill yet, you really deserve to get scammed by these hipsters

man i don't even disagree THAT much with the angry guy, calm down.

i swear Jow Forums, what happened

NEOLIBERALS FUCK OFF

REEEEE

holy based

I am waiting for the day when Jow Forums collectively finally gets it that smartphones are an invasive privacy-raping cancer that no one should ever use under any circumstance. They keep dancing around the truth but somehow never really understand that smartphones are fucking garbage invented for the sole purpose of fucking everyone over.

Librem 5 is the best there is. And it's just the first version.

From their FAQ (puri.sm/faq/):
>Based on our testing: the CPU, GPU, Bootloader and all software will run free software, we are evaluating the WiFi and Bluetooth chips and their firmware, this is an area we have to evaluate, finalize, and test. The mobile baseband will most likely use ROM loaded firmware, but a free software kernel driver. We intend to invest time and money toward freeing any non-free firmware.
And the CPU is isolated from separated baseband.

Attached: Librem5_spot.webm (660x370, 2.91M)

Linux has always been a useful, even necessary tool for me (ever had a partition crash? ever had a corrupt file you couldn't delete properly?). The option for liveboot is ingenious.

Being forced to use a botnet OS that removes the P from PC on the other hand is the opposite of being an adult.

>It's only fair that those who didn't invest anything are denied the right to copy and make knock-offs of these solutions

Replicas exist for a variety of reasons. Why should the tech world be an exception, in this regard, when other branches suffer the same fate (art, architecture, design)?

i'm not going to waste my time refuting shitposts, if you think resisting being trolled is "disingenuous and dishonest" then you're beyond hope

>And what question?

since you apparently can't read i'll repeat the question: you should be able to spot shilling, but for some reason, you can't, why is that?

You need Whatsapp if you want any sort of life in Europe. It's non-negotiable. Which is why the Librem 5 and its freetardism will fail.

fpbp
based and redpilled

Attached: 1553994124042.jpg (600x396, 138K)

I can see many parallels between freetards and avid 2nd amendment defenders. They believe that it is a god given inalienable right to defend themselves and their loved ones against any threat whether it is foreign, criminal or tyrannical. Freetards too believe that their perceived digital rights as inalienable and non-negotiable, as any violations of them is an affront to human dignity. Indeed, finding a middle ground with businesses to them is like finding a middle ground with nazis. "Well what if we only kill half of the jew population? That would be literally only half as bad, no?" is how they perceive any compromise, it is simply unthinkable. What you describe is truthful and realistic, but that's not what this is about. There cannot be reason between business and this ideology, there is a fundamental differences in the axioms they both operate in. And for a freetard to stick to his guns is the only way to keep his soul and conscience intact, and given that corporations have neither of these things, they are at a grave disadvantage. But it's not like there are any other options left.

Attached: IMG_20190611_093709.jpg (965x563, 141K)

Free software is pro-business.

Business 101: don't do things that make your business lose money

Can you elaborate on why you believe that?

It's free as in freedom not free as in price. Restricting profit or commercial activity makes the software nonfree.

How is not making software FOSS is restricting profit? Publishing source allows for someone to compile binaries and redistribute them free of cost, potentially limiting sales, and may spawn distribution of modified copies by competitors, again potentially limiting sales. How does FOSS counterweight that?

>Publishing source allows for someone to compile binaries and redistribute them free of cost, potentially limiting sales, and may spawn distribution of modified copies by competitors, again potentially limiting sales.
This is exactly why Xiaomi's bootloader unlocking process is so onerous. They have nothing against open source but there were too many shifty cunts out there reselling their phones with literal malware and tarnishing their brand.

Your question makes no sense. If your binaries are so worthless that no one will pay for them, and your product is so bad that a competitor can easily make improvements to it and destroy you in the market, then your business sucks and it's your fault your sales are in the toilet.

Sounds like an excuse, there are numerous ways to discourage that without locking the bootloader.

>If your binaries are so worthless that no one will pay for them
People will always choose the free option instead of paid one of both are just as easily accessible, and FOSS makes it possible for any paid software to be easily distributed for free by someone else.
>and your product is so bad that a competitor can easily make improvements to it and destroy you in the market
No improvements are necessary, the program may just have a changed name and maybe switched colors of the GUI if it has one and many people may buy the modified one just because they don't know that the original exists, or may not know that the original is original.
>Sounds like an excuse, there are numerous ways to discourage that without locking the bootloader.
Such as? I am genuinely interested.

Apple and Microsoft are both richer than all but about five governments on Earth. What can you hope to do to stop that? No government is so incorrupt as to be immune to that money. No competition is robust enough to survive the tactics made available by the legislative power of that money. It turns out the capitalist system starts breaking down when companies get big enough that they can't just be eradicated by a Roosevelt arming some unionists.

If your paid option is so bad that no one wants it then it's your fault.
>people may buy the modified one just because they don't know that the original exists, or may not know that the original is original
This has nothing to do with free software, you still need to trademark and advertise your products.
>Such as?
Think about positive incentives the company could give to resellers for doing the right thing and selling without malware, instead of just defaulting to taking a negative action which harms all resellers in the process including the good ones.