Why is the handbook so useless??

>decide to suck up the meme and install this piece of shit
>it’s easy as fuck, thankfully
>get to the kernel configuration section
>decide to just genkernel all that shit and be done with it
>emerge sys-app/genkernel
>nothing happens, it just says that everything is right but nothing gets installed
>check everything, reboot and repeat a couple of times to make sure and it still happens
>have to retreat to the manual configuration
>open the kernel configuration dialog menu
>an infinite amount of options with NO FUCKING INFO BOX, just acronyms, strange obscure names
>jeez I just want to know what the fuck to enable in order to maximize the optimization of my hardware
>remember about how much Jow Forums loves the handbook
>go the the kernel configuration page, surely it will have everything I need to know!
>”This document aims to introduce the concepts of manual kernel configuration and details some of the most common configuration pitfalls.”
>they literally only talk about 5 options and leave no explanation for the hundreds more
FUCK THIS FUCKING DISTRO AND SHITTY COMMUNITY

Attached: BC348D7C-B0CE-43F9-80F1-67FAD0E0A3B9.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Unmasking_a_package
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>being this dumb

>xe couldn't install gentoo

Attached: 1564207737020.png (490x690, 266K)

>He can't follow step by step instructions
Holy shit

Attached: me_041.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Where did I write that I couldn’t install it?

its alright you're gonna make it someday too

Attached: ezgif-2-492a7ed28c40.gif (500x280, 1.01M)

He fell for the gentoo meme.

Attached: 1339550542744.jpg (894x801, 123K)

>nothing happens, it just says that everything is right but nothing gets installed
No? It installs the genkernel helper software every time?

If you wanted the kernel compiled, you'd run genkernel. Or you'd emerge one of the kernel packages with the corresponding use-flags.

> an infinite amount of options with NO FUCKING INFO BOX, just acronyms, strange obscure names
Menuconfig of the kernel actually has help, genkernel also has a manual page and help.

If you couldn't build your own kernel, much less use genkernel, don't think you could even wipe your own ass.

Attached: 1539802670784.jpg (550x549, 80K)

If you cant google drivers for your hardware, you might want to stick to a toy OS like OSX until you learn how to use the internet like a big boy.

Again, where did I write that I couldn’t install it? You sure are able to follow instructions, but what about comprehending English?

>He just kept emerging genkernel
>He didn't bother running the command
>didn't bother actually reading the help text in menuconfig
>it's everyones fault but his

Attached: 1531064135564.png (256x256, 90K)

>he didn’t bother running the command
Where did I write this?

Gentoo it's literally trolling. Others Linux distros is trolling too (exept Debian and Fedora ofc). Next time if someone advice you this stuff just share him this picture.

Attached: xxynCyo.png (1145x1394, 905K)

A lie through omission is still a lie user

Attached: BpqukXx.png (603x358, 297K)

If I say that nothing gets installed it means that when I type genkernel it says the command doesn’t exist, you dingdong

I don't even read the manuals.
Always when installing or updatimg freebsd of gentoo I just hope for the best. So far nothing catastrophic hasn't happened.

But you said you didn't say you couldn't install it, inherently then the command did something as you were able to generate a kernel

Attached: 1565045223536.png (512x512, 300K)

I didn’t generate the fucking kernel, as I wrote I had to do it the manual way with menuconfig and all that shit

As you wrote it you couldn't even find the online help. I very much doubt that you got a working system

You need to do it in the stage3 chroot, user. Not on the Live USB's in-RAM filesystem.

And yes, portage doesn't just fail silently - so you either have it installed or not and you have logs what happened. If you have it installed, you can definitely run the /usr/bin/genkernel script.

Because you were in the live usb filesystem you mongoloid.

I fell for the Gentoo meme as well, been using it for 5 months, I enjoy the fully encrypted lightweight system that takes 160MB after boot with xorg, but the journey was not a smooth arch-like experience at all.
I remember the Gentoo wiki being wrong about things twice. Severely outdated and outright broken software in the official repositories made me feel that this thing is not even maintained. And that is if whatever I need is in the repos, I've actually ended up building stuff from AUR manually...
The rebooting for random new USB peripheral, or super basic things like AES-NI in middle of whatever you're doing got little annoying, can't they have a list of "good to haves" or indeed any introduction to kernel configuring what so ever? It took a decent month or two to get absolutely everything to work.
Arch was such a low headache it-just-works experience (until an update breaks systemd for the 4th time and you can't shut down properly) that I've started to miss it. Please remind me whats the benefit of using Gentoo and why is it worth the time investment?

Attached: 1565624753409.jpg (326x273, 19K)

> And that is if whatever I need is in the repos,
You did check the overlays, right?

> I've actually ended up building stuff from AUR manually...
If you can't do a local ebuild (which you might publish somewhere on git or whatever if you're feeling generous) and there is no overlay, you might actually just find an AppImage, nix or guix package. Or flatpak or snap if you're weird.

>Please remind me whats the benefit of using Gentoo and why is it worth the time investment?
Pretty smooth sailing for the last 15 years.

>they literally only talk about 5 options and leave no explanation for the hundreds more
maybe because the information is available during configuration of the kernel

Attached: 1554820535973.png (1680x1050, 112K)

Did they prettify menuconfig on gentoo-sources or what is that?

your keyboard/chair interface is shit
get a new one

Pretty much nobody actually runs a "minimal" kernel
The only exception are specialized embedded applications where you know what you'll need for your stuff to work
The other are retards who only use their PC for shitposting

make nconfig

i've successfully installed gentoo myself, so i'm allowed to say this:

the handbook is overrated in quality. particularly in the kernel config bit. that isn't to say the handbook is USELESS by any means. i wouldn't even call it insufficient. but people make it out to be the only info you'll need but there are plenty of times where it basically just says shit like "depends on your machine, good luck" without hinting at how exactly you proceed from there beyond begging for help in the forums

Attached: dude.jpg (246x246, 22K)

>You did check the overlays, right?
I did, I have ungoogled chromium installed with an overlay.
>Or flatpak or snap if you're weird.
These happen to be the only ones available for the last things I am missing, but I think I can live without them.
>Pretty smooth sailing for the last 15 years.
Stability sure is strong, but so is the shock when I realized 4.19 is soon a year old. Are stable kernels some pseudo LTS thing in Gentoo?

I was misguided all along? Tho I guess I do get categorized to shitposters.
>look at this brainlet, cant even configure a kernel

Attached: 1553231235.jpg (1280x720, 97K)

>Are stable kernels some pseudo LTS thing in Gentoo?
Yes, they are "longterm" upstream. ~arch Gentoo is actually "stable" upstream:
kernel.org/

why do so many weebs come out in gentoo threads

Chinese cartoon website + happy Gentoo users.

Attached: 3206c1da370ef0a4f21a93bb7d5c3773158fdbb5017aa1b8063b4646a1f9a4b0.png (1072x1500, 1.73M)

nope there's /a/ for that stupid weeb

Right, exactly, that makes sense

Attached: 20080402-1c.jpg (362x483, 56K)

> Right, exactly, that makes sense
Yea. Well, Gentoo did get a bit more conservative about what hits stable and what hits ~arch and what even gets masked compared to the earlier times.

But being on ~arch, I do actually still occasionally catch annoyances for the stable users, so it's probably just prudent long term experience.

If we actually want to discuss anime, sure, I'll go there. The images are allowed anywhere because this is a weebsite and the decoration makes us happy.

Attached: 3a7e6de069896986a65bc9906532b00b019854299820a94dcc2b98c42b72b723.jpg (1000x1412, 1.43M)

lol k pedo degenerate

Please leave

Attached: 22709786_p0.jpg (774x798, 193K)

Wow. (you)

Glad we resolved that.

Attached: 002c35a6c6a00e504e5c7e1524b4a49f799b18cd424780ca9e0f9d50d5263d43.jpg (791x578, 47K)

Learn how to follow basic instructions before complaining here first of all.
With regards to the kernel though I believe the handbook explicitly states - and it's true regardless - that on your first kernel you should not get too adventurous. The linux kernel config is something you grow familiar with over time, especially with gentoo, as you continually build it up to include more features you require (mainly drivers). You get a feel for where everything is, what's important and what you can ignore, what the main optimization settings are and what to set them to etc. Break your kernel a couple times and you'll learn the config real fast. It's a long process, but you come out the other end just some C experience away from being able to actually contribute to the kernel itself, and at the very least with a slimmed down and highly optimized config that you can utalize on *any* distro.
I'll give you some tips to set you off, though. Obviously use menuconfig, then change the following settings, making sure to read what they do and why you might want them at what I'm telling you to set. You can go find the sections their in too yourself (not too deep down any rabbit holes dw) to start getting a feel of where things are too:
Kernel preemption: low
Processor type: Intel or amd accordingly
Disable watchdog
Kernel compression type: lz4

If you're serious about this, you have a long but fulfilling road ahead of you. Good luck user.

kill yourself tranny

delete this, gentoo is a tranny friendly os

Unironically though. Larry the cow was declared a trans man in 2003.

Fpbp
He* There's no grills and definitely no niggerfaggots/trannies deserve their references
Sounds like the 99%
Fell for the niggerfaggotpill
What is pressing '?' in menuconfig
Next time I find a niggerfaggot I'll just filter it out

maybe you didn't emerge --sync, idk i got crossdev and everything working without much problem

Decided to give it a try after making the thread, still stuck with this bullshit

Attached: 514AEB22-780B-49AD-A31A-725799D8838C.jpg (4032x3024, 3.92M)

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Unmasking_a_package

Please go duckduckgo yourself.

>never had to unmask during the installation
>now suddenly have to

Recently they changed default accepted license to the gnu nuthead free, that explains why it complains about firmware.
The static-libs sounds really damn generic, don't know much else.

Just go with it and see if it works.

the handbook literally never failed me. you must me retarded

If I was this retarded I would kill myself. I literally tells you whats wrong and what you need to do to fix it.

holy shit you are retarded, there's no way to fuck up with emerge, just run it verbosely and with --ask you stupid mongoloid.
If you can't do that you don't even need gentoo, just use Ubuntu like everyone.
Is not faster or anything, gentoo is used for crossbuilding and deploying network installations mostly. Yeah there's a lot of desktop users but there's no advantage whatsoever to ubuntu or fedora or whatever which works out of the box

Any resources on learning how to configure your first kernel tho?

>The rebooting for random new USB peripheral
for most drivers like that (random new device but you already have the subsystem) you can just add it as module, make modules; make modules_install; modprobe dragondildo_usb; and that should work without rebooting

Literally just fucking read the options. They are self explanatory.
>I have an INTEL CPU
>DO I NEED AMD CPU DRIVERS????
No
And the proper way of installing genkernel is emerge -a genkernel
Reminder you do need to be root and chrooted into the actual OS.
>I couldn't get a kernel or bootloader going but I installed it
You merely unpacked the system tools.

Gentoo is not a meme.
It's the best and most precious distro out there.
Once you're used to it, you'll realize using any other distro would be a downgrade.
It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
You can install any version of any package in the repo and portage will rebuild what needs rebuilding and update/downgrade what needs updating/downgrading and keep your system consistent.
No such thing as "dependency hells".
You can even have multiple versions of some packages side by side.
Top tier documentation and support.
Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
Ebuilds (package build scripts) easy to read, edit, write and maintain.
Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
Most importantly, it just works, it does what you want and doesn't get in the way.

Attached: co strawberry milk girl.gif (540x528, 1.71M)

On top of that if you are looking for specific flags or relevant settings in menu config you can use / to search

>no (You)'s
here is a brother who has truly seen the light

Attached: 1560612673752.jpg (540x393, 15K)

The only troll distros are Debian and Fedora because they disable all non-free software by default and you have to break the system to get it to be usable.

Gentoo disables non-free software by default as well now and allowing non-free repos in Debian or Fedora is as easy as adding ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" to your make.conf.

wow...
it's almost like it's not a distro for unexperienced halfwits...

Attached: 1549199473130.png (254x214, 40K)

non-free repos aren't supported in Fedora you have to use fucking fusion or whatever and any time shit updates it breaks. Don't be a contrarian faggot you know damn well that Gentoo supports all licenses.

You're not supposed to swallow the entire rod, tripfag...

>unironically allowing non-free software to contaminate his machine
yikes

Decided to see how much of my shit is non-free and I'm legitimately surprised.

Attached: ree.png (1280x710, 249K)

You read the terminal output, didn't you? You need to update autounmask before you can install genkernel. Use etc-update, update the configuration file and try to install genkernel again.

Attached: tenor.gif (498x382, 2.17M)

>people in here unironically recommending genkernel

what is the fucking point of gentoo then you retards, may as well use arch

Configuring the kernel on your own without genkernel is trivial.

1) Enable the options that the kernel config section in the handbook says have to be enabled for everything.
2) From the livecd, run lspci -k. Redirect output to a file and/or pager for involved cross-referencing.
3) For each and every line from lspci -k that says "Kernel driver in use: [something]," look up the "[something]" on the Gentoo website for detailed instructions on what kernel config options need to be enabled to support the driver. Enable them.
3a) If no such page exists for any particular driver, try just using the "/" key in menuconfig to search for your driver in the database of supported config options, and if you find relevant options, enable them.

It's that easy.

genkernel can be used with customized config, and it gets initramfs done as well. Only reason you wouldn't use it is if your setup is so obscure its not fully supported and you need to write your own initramfs generation script and init anyway

what font?

Configuring a kernel isn't the point of Gentoo.

You may as well use Arch to deploy a manually configured kernel, yes.

>can’t install gentoo
I’ve only been using linux for a year, and even I can install gentoo, and have done so in a vm the only reason I haven’t installed yet is because I’d like to back every thing up first.

>tells me I need to add SQLite to the portage.use config otherwise it can’t proceed the emerge @world
>add it
>still asks me to do it and interrupts the install
>use —autounmask
>check config and it has been added
>still tells me I need to add it

menuconfig is for brainlets, if you use nconfig you can use both / to search on the current screen and f8 to search globally

Seen this post a couple times already, with the same image, but I still agree.

So does Gentoo, but changing this is as easy as changing the LICENSE variable in your make.conf.

I think his problem was he wanted to understand every single option, where as most people just leave the default selected [*] alone, make sure they have all the required things selected, and then select everything their specific hardware needs (which you can find on google theres even a wiki page on what to select for my thinkpad model). Most people don't go in and look at every single driver and know exactly which ones to select and unselect for their PC (although I'm sure people like that exist). I mean that requires you to learn a lot and it's not like the Gentoo handbook is going to give you a IT course.

Was about to ask this too, looks nice

>Debian
You just change sources.list to include non-free, takes 5 seconds.

you are retarded.

I mean I did make a custom kernel but the point is also that you compile the applications, not just the kernel.

OP is retarded, but my one complaint about the handbook is I think it should introduce the concept of etc-update/dispatch-conf after the first time it tells you to install something. I have talked to multiple people who during their first install fucked up, because when the terminal said stuff about config files needing to be updated they assumed it could be done later and that the application successfully installed.

Gentoo has always explicitly been about choice: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About

>Gentoo is all about choices. When installing Gentoo, this is made clear several times - users can choose how much they want to compile themselves, how to install Gentoo, what system logger to use, etc.

Only autists believe it's somehow a neckbeard "minimal" distro. In fact, many Gentoo developers themselves run Gentoo with systemd, Gnome, and similar such stuff.
This is why comparing Gentoo to Arch, as many people here often do, is retarded and shows a clear lack of understanding of the two distributions.
I've never used genkernel myself, but why shouldn't you? Maybe you do care about USE flags, overlays and the like, but you don't want to go through the pain of configuring Linux* manually. Fine. Genkernel to the rescue.

* by "Linux" I mean the Linux kernel, because that's what Linux is after all.

Place -a arg

Not him, i don't know the font, but it looks like ubuntu

>menuconfig is for brainlets
menuconfig works

>I mean I did make a custom kernel
make as in build or make as in develop