Why do you hate the touch bar so?

Why do you hate the touch bar so?
What did the touch bar ever do to you?

Attached: macbook-pro-touch-bar-670x335.jpg (670x335, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/18470901
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Replaced physical keys for no reason.

because it's just flashy while arguably limiting functionality while increasing issues in terms of failure rates and power draw

There's nothing wrong with the touchbar.
There's everything wrong with a complete lack of F-keys.

>Why do you hate the touch bar so?
It's a touchscreen
>What did the touch bar ever do to you?
Took away Escape and Function keys

no escape key. I bought a 2016 MBP without the touch bar because I like keys not memes.

It's fucking worthless
MacBook Air does it perfectly. TouchID power button and function row

Not for no reason. The reason is that it can change contextually based on what you're focusing on on the main display.
And why do people always use the 'physical keys' argument with this thing? It's not like you're touch typing solely on the function row.

I don't find it limiting at all. At the very minimum, it lets you do simple tasks like adjusting volume much faster (e.g. you can drag the indicator exactly to where you want it to be with one single, quick motion instead of taptaptapping or tapping and holding). Helps a lot with anything involving a timeline, like video/audio editing. Or just watching videos or listening to music.

If you hold the Fn key, the Touchbar displays function keys.
But if you want, you can go into the settings and fix it so that it only ever displays function keys.

Escape and Function keys are still there, just virtual. And touchscreens are good if implemented correctly, which in this case it is.

It's worthless if you don't do anything that really needs it. And even then, it doesn't get in the way very much.
It's helpful otherwise.

Virtual buttons aren't physical key switches retard

Functionally, they are the same. They feel different, yes, but that doesn't matter much because you don't use them anywhere near as much as you use the keys below that row.

It's just crazy. Why would you choose to use it
I guess it's required for the normal MBP now but the 16 inch MBP better not use it

>but that doesn't matter much because you don't use them anywhere near as much as you use the keys below that row.
It does matter when I go for F5 and I miss F5

I think it's cool beans. But the price is not justified. My entire phone is one big touch bar for a quarter of the price

>Why would you choose to use it
Because it makes a few things a tiny bit easier.
It's not revolutionary, but it improves the experience in most places and makes no difference in others.

That could happen regardless of whether or not you're aiming for keys or an area on a screen.

But you're fucking wrong because for everyone ITT right now it does make a difference in other tasks

to be fair, I have physical function keys and that still happens to me a lot. I accidentally mute shit all the time when I actually mean to turn the volume up

It fucked my girlfriend's son.

People get hysterical over little things. They have no logical reasons for their reactions sometimes.
The majority of these responses are, "I don't like it. I just don't."

look OP, I get it. You bought a MBP with Touch Bar and want to justify it. I'd do the same thing if I owned one.
But I specifically bought the Air for two reasons: battery life and NO Touch Bar. Most people find it useless.

If the 16 inch MBP doesn't have a Touch Bar then you know they fucked it up

I actually use it a lot, I think the main hate for the Touch Bar at the beginning was that it raised the price of the computers for about $400-$500 and it wasn't really worth it fro that much, now that the Touch Bar is no longer considered a premium on the Pro line, it's all good for most people.

cost increase
not useful
occupies space in chassis

Attached: 2946x1816-4531204-anthro-furry-futuristic-mech.jpg (2946x1816, 1.01M)

Got rid of physical escape and function keys

That being said I haven't tried to use one, so maybe it's not that big of a deal

>Escape and Function keys are still there, just virtual
In other words they're not fucking keys anymore.
>And touchscreens are good if implemented correctly
Sure touchscreens can be okay, but there isn't always a correct implementation. For example, the touchbar being utter trash.

It's actually quite pleasant to use. Muscle memory tends to take over and lead your fingers to the general areas you're looking for the majority of the time. Missteps to happen, but not quite as much as you'd think.

>In other words they're not fucking keys anymore.
They are virtual keys. The keys are still there.
They're just different types of keys.
>Sure touchscreens can be okay, but there isn't always a correct implementation. For example, the touchbar being utter trash.
The only reason you don't like it is because it's not what you're used to.
A\

Reminder to report.

Attached: IMG_20190327_114208_174.jpg (1280x853, 272K)

>talking about products I don't like is a bannable offense

>They are virtual keys. The keys are still there.
In other words they're not keys.
>The only reason you don't like it is because it's not what you're used to.
I'm more than used to touchscreens, I still hate them though. This is no different.

Reminder that announcing your reports can get you banned. :^)

Virtual keys are still keys. Not physical switches. Still keys, though.

We can play the semantics game all night but the bottom line is that the touchbar is shit.

some guy installed doom on one of those

The touch bar isn't shit. You just don't like it. There's a difference.
"Because it's shit," isn't a legitimate reason to dislike it.

>You just don't like it
Which means it's shit.

Objectively incorrect.

no

Yes. Your opinion isn't fact.

I never claimed it was.

By claiming the fact that you don't like it means it's shit, you directly imply that your opinion is universal fact, which is false.

Stating an opinion doesn't imply that an opinion is fact.

It's part of a continued planned obsolescence/anti-right to repair scheme, making one more component impossible to replace without their internal DRM "diagnostic" program.

True, but saying that your negative opinion on something makes that something intrinsically worthless is essentially the same as implying that your opinion is fact, which is what you did. And it's false.

Now THERE's a logical reason to dislike the Touch Bar.

strawpoll.me/18470901

Going to clear some shit up. There's a thing called a dictionary.

key
noun
noun: key; plural noun: keys
each of several buttons on a panel for operating a computer, typewriter, or telephone.

but·ton
noun
noun: button; plural noun: buttons
a knob on a piece of electrical or electronic equipment that is pressed to operate it.

Seems as though touch "buttons" or "keys" are not actually buttons/keys.

Continue arguing.

Going by this very specific definition, piano keys are not keys.
Still, this doesn't matter because their functionality still remains, even though the physicality has been removed, which is what I've been saying since the beginning.

so you're just going to drop the opinion vs fact argument?

So then what do you call the virtual element on a display that is representative of a button?

Words can have multiple meanings, bud.

Great! So virtual keys are still keys, then.

You just negated your dictionary definition angle by admitting that definitions can be more flexible than strictly what's listed in the dictionary based on their context.

Whatever you say

That wasn't my definition. I do know that there's a separate entry for the piano definition though.

>That wasn't my definition.
That's the one you provided.

I meant I didn't provide that. The post was not mine.

So why weigh in? Do you agree with the definition, or the sentiment behind the user providing it?

I bought a 2017 mbp with keys and legit wont buy any more if they dont have keys. I use function keys all the time

Of course I agree with user's post, he backed up my argument

OK.

So then there was no reason to specify that that wasn't your definition, because your argument is the same as his. Arguing flexible definition negates arguing abiding by textbook definition.

>before touch bar
>hold Fn to access Function keys

>after touch bar
>hold Fn to access Function keys

>You just negated your dictionary definition
>then there was no reason to specify that that wasn't your definition

>before touch bar
>had Function keys
>could change them to be Function keys by default

>after touchbar
>no Function keys

If you endorse the definition entirely, which you said you do because it supports your argument (which is identical to the argument posed by the one who sent that post), you might as well have posted it.

Its gay and im not buying into it. Just like removing 3.5mm jacks on phones. Im not supporting it.

>before touch bar
>had Function keys

>after touch bar
>no physical Function keys
>can still go into the settings and make the touch bar only display Function keys by default

OK.

no

>before touch bar
>had Function keys

>after touch bar
>no Function keys

Hey guys remember Apple's touch bar?
Me neither

I don’t really remember using fn buttons except than mapping shortcuts and shortcuts can literally be mapped to any combination so no use for them but no use for the touchbar either.

>no
>just "no"
Alright, so you've completely given up.

>>before touch bar
>>had Function keys
>>could change them to be Function keys by default
>>after touch bar
>>no Function keys
You already posted that and I've already addressed it. The physical keys are gone but their functionality remains. There's not much else to say in that department.

Touch bar is great for scrubbing timelines and adjusting dials. That's about it, but that's still more common usage than function keys.

>arguably limiting functionality
How the fuck does it limit functionality? Where you had just 12 user-definable keys with fixed labels, now you basically have a sandbox that allows you to cram in as many controls as you'd like within reason with dynamic labels that can also be more than just buttons (sliders, menus, gesture areas, etc)

The only real arguments are the loss of tactile feedback which doesn't really mean shit for function keys anyway and the decision to absorb the escape key into it, which I definitely agree is frequently used enough to justify having some kind of tactile keypress.

How the fuck am I supposed to go to tty?

why the fuck would you do this in 2019 to begin with

>i don't like (apple product) because I can't do x like I can on (alternative product)
>dude you don't NEED to do x
every single time

>Can your MacBook read floppy disks?
"Floppy disks? Why would I want to --"
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW CAN'T EVEN READ FLOPPY DISKS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA