Linux kernel

How did it get so fucking big?
How many bugs fit in a 30 million lines kernel?
How many botnets?
(2 per world power and three letter agency, I guess)
(Please dont reply like "Yeah but what about Windows?")

Attached: 1492e553e54a319a5a66e12aef8af358fcc14914.png (656x356, 10K)

DRIVERS
DRIVERS
DRIVERS
DRIVERS

One bug per 50 drivers.
One botnet per 500 drivers.

Mist of the kernel is device drivers.

Higher is better

That's what happens if triple letters start contributing code

Maybe they shouldnt be in the kernel.
Just saying.

(((Muh modules)))

Do you know why they are in the kernel?
You can take a linux installation from one computer
put the drive in a totally different computer and it will still work
At installation time a lot of distros ask if you want the full set of drivers or just the drivers for the machine it is being installed to
Or at least they used to. You can always use a disto's minimal install disk

What happens if the mist condensates? Does your computer crash?

Glow harder, pls

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
List of trolls

Yeah, because it's perfectly ok to have a kernel 30million lines big
>you can always review and audit the code, bro

>everyone who disagrees with me is a troll
I know you're a freetard, but fuck, this is pathetic even for you.

Been able to do this since forever on Windows. You didn't even need to sysprep if you activated all the disk drivers first (with a quick .reg file) first. Since Windows 8, it's the default.

Literally the opposite of true. The OS gets the hardware vendor ID and product ID when it connects and looks into its database to get the driver online. It fails 90% of the time, too. Moreover the OS is so 'tarded it has to redo it everytime you unplug the device and plug it into a different port.

Windows 3.1 called, they want you back, user.

>The OS gets the hardware vendor ID and product ID when it connects
Non issue - did you know "at Windows start" is a connect event? That's why the little "found new hardware" balloon appears when you power up after you install a graphics card, etc.
>and looks into its database to get the driver online.
Better than including 30 million lines of drivers, as per OPs original complaint.
>It fails 90% of the time, too.
No, it doesn't. What sort of shitty dumpster-dived Bentim3 with utterly unsupported hardware are you force-installing Windows 10 1903 onto?
>Moreover the OS is so 'tarded it has to redo it everytime you unplug the device and plug it into a different port.
So? While annoying, if you knew anything about computers, you'd understand that this is actually how plug and pray works.

>try to defend wangblows being horrible
>oops! Just revealed that wangblows uses technology that was already deprecated in 1992!
If only you had been a linux chad, these kinds of slipups would not have happened. Oh well!

It might be called 'plus and pray' on windows, but other OSes call it 'plug and play' because for them it just werks.

Use OpenBSD.

Attached: 2019-08-14-224046_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 19K)

Huge amount of drivers for everything.

>Been able to do this since forever on Windows.
Last time I moved my Windows 7 from Core2Duo to Athlon II I did not get CPU driver (power management). Other than that - sure, you can do it.
>Better than including 30 million lines of drivers, as per OPs original complaint.
>somehow having all drivers offline is worse than being part of botnet
>No, it doesn't. What sort of shitty dumpster-dived Bentim3 with utterly unsupported hardware are you force-installing Windows 10 1903 onto?
When installing W10 onto kabylake laptop I did not get special keyboard combinations because apparently HP chose to cripple their software unless I install additional software.

>30 million loc
>25 million for drivers
>driver support in the top 2 reasons why people avoid linux like plague
Another own goal by the open bowel movement
And read some of those drivers source
>endless magic numbers
>endless todos
>endless "I had to do " to make it work
This is why your laptop crashes resuming from hibernate
tl;dr 25 million crappy loc are crappy

>And read some of those drivers source
Been there, done that. I've only ever seen one driver that was properly written - and guess what? Peppered with comments of "this card is brain-damaged", "it's stupid", etc.
Yeah 17 year-old NEET LARPing as a Real Programmer(TM), it's the hardware, not you. Silly real world.

Attached: 200_s.gif (356x200, 35K)

>72321870
>somehow having all drivers offline is worse
Except nobody said that, you fucking mong.
>botnet
Here we go again. You don't even deserve a (You).

Attached: 1559679995463.png (499x338, 38K)

This is your brain on Linux. Know the signs, and protect your kids.

>fucking oem screwed me
Can anyone take a stab at why, precisely:
A) This is Windows' fault?
B) Why Linux - where the hardware likely won't work at all - is somehow superior?

This linux is bloated and BSD
>works on my machine

Hardware always works on linux, out of the box. Never does on windows. Nothing to do with oem, especially in the (extra likely now with win10, very likely before too) scenario where the oem install is broken by the crap windows image micro$oft hands out.
Here's the easiest example ever: xbox one controller works oob on linux, but on windows 7, you have to download a sketchy driver from some unknown source because microniggers banned delivery of the driver through official channels.

My experience is absolutely different.
Hibernation ceased working after Ubuntu 16. Ive tried many times. I use notebooks and netbooks and I NEED it. It always worked in Windows.
The VGA in my 2011 Atom 32bit netbook Acer AIO150h ceased working (it required an external signal loopback).
My old PCI SB64 card was never supported
Nouveau driver is corrupted and prevents installation on my gaming laptop (Asus 17' ROG NV960m).
Fan control doesnt work in my HP100 mini PC.
Backlight control ceased working in my dads Extensa 5635Z.
My asrock 775i65g supported brutal OC on Windows, but tended to freeze in Linux. Graphics ATI HD3450 drivers were the cause.
I have had 7 computers. 6 of them had hardware problems with linux

Nerdless to say, Windows (XP/7) worked in all these cases. (Well, XP had its own issues with the AH3450)

why thanks motherfucker

Attached: file.png (942x492, 147K)

99% freedom
1% FBI/CIA/NSA/MI6/Google/Amazon/Facebook
300 000 lines of pure glowing code

Even with that non-sysprep'd Windows 7 will shit itself when moved to a different machine.

t. senior computer dude

It's drivers. Just compile the kernel yourself if you want to cut down on the bloat.

>(((ubugu)))

well i know you should read the mistborn trilogy. it's dope. maybe the second trilogy as well but it's a different tone.

>Magic numbers
Of all things why is THIS you complaint? 99.9% of them are various register offsets

>Hardware always works on linux, out of the box. Never does on windows.
Needless to say, this guy is smoking hard crack.

Not him, but you're ignoring the thrust of his argument - that the NEETs who wrote the drivers had not a fucking idea what they were doing.
It's one thing to have
#define REG_OFFSET 0x10
It's quite another to have
#define MAGIC1 0x10
#define MAGIC2 123456
#define MAGIC3 "ur mom will die in her sleep 2nite"
Of which the source is FULL of.