>8 out of 10 don't work and have dependency problems
>spend 3 hours trying to fix deps
>nothing works
>stuck with 2 playable games from gog
>try to install the same 10 games from gog onto windows
>everything works immediately
>spend 3 hours playing good games
If you ever want to know why Linux failed on the desktop, here's why

Attached: b877c82b097b347bacd721ebf3da7ee0.jpg (500x750, 96K)

Lame bait thread #542985318

How is it bait when it's real? Maybe if Linux didn't treat dependencies willy nilly and actually allowed me to EASILY install older version of libs onto my system so my GAMES I BOUGHT actually worked, then I wouldn't be making this thread. Ever thought of THAT?

>If you ever want to know why Linux failed on the desktop, here's why
Because a mentally retarded idiot is unable to get MUH GAMES installed?

I don't think that's wrong, but with near certainty I can tell you that the actual problem is to be found in front of the screen.

Hey asshole, I spent 3 hours trying to actually fix it. And I'm a power user. If I can't get it to work, can anyone?

Furthermore, you couldn't do it either because you're even more retarded than me.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 11K)

When I gamed on linux (I have a switch now), I would write a shell script for launching each game I downloaded. It usually involved "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=" for using the old libraries that either came with the game or the game needed and I had to download myself after using 'ldd' to figure it out.

> I spent 3 hours trying to actually fix it.
Sure, my mother also does that sometimes when the Desktop icons suddenly go away on her Windows machine.

>actually giving gog your money

I only purchase stuff when it's on sale though

>Trying to install games onto a Kernel
>power user
yea, no

Why can't you install the older versions?

They aren't in the repos, presumably because they don't want you to use them

Linux is an OS. I'm not calling Windows Windows/NT either, am I?

If you're using Debian, check old repos. Same for Fedora and other stable distros.
For source based distros you can find the old source files and compile then.

>Winbabby have time to play games
>Winbabby too lazy to spend that time learning to program and contributing to getting Linux to run lameware originally made to run on something else
>Winbabby complain Linux won't run lameware

If you ever want to know why Linux failed on the desktop, here's why

Implying it's the user's fault that the Linux ecosystem is so confused and chaotic

List the games that didn't worked.

Witcher 2
Trine 1
Trine 2
Icewind Dale
Planeshift Torment
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2

I'm implying no such thing.
I am saying that whining that Linux-OS'es won't run your games when they aren't made to be a platform to run said games is silly, and that if you actually care about whether you are running Linux or Windows maybe you should quit whining that it won't just let you waste your time thoughtlessly and effortlessly because no one was paid to enable that by the few bucks you wasted on some sale.
In other words, stop being a fucking baby

My god...why would anyone subject themselves to this shit?

Because Linux is really, really stupid when it comes to legacy software. On Windows you download old software and every single library it needs is bundled with it, and guess what, it runs immediately and without a hassle. The biggest hurdle you might have running an old game is enabling compatibility mode and related settings. That's fucking it. On Linux however, every 2 years or so all your installers will break because the Linux people just don't give two fucks about legacy. This will be the downfall of the system.

I'm not complaining about Windows, am I?

Witcher 2 was ported to linux, though, and I just ran it the other day. How’s it not working for you?

no, you call it GNU since it's the OS

Install the windows version via Lutris. It'll probably work.

absolute state of the linux desktop
pic unrelated

Attached: im-gnot-a-gnxfce-im-gnot-a-gnkde-im-a-40439800.png (500x1121, 130K)

Is what it is, papa valve blessed us with wine gaming performance.

I've ran into your issue a couple times though not with gaming. Trying to download the native version of TeamViewer 11 and another virtualization application which both wanted an old version of python.

> Try to run GTA V on Windows 10
> Crash at start, some system dependency is missing
> Install said system dependency dll, still doesn't work
> Look online and people tell you to install different microsoft redistribute visual studio packages
> Still doesn't work
> 1 hour later i found out that it didn't work because i didn't have some windows media player library installed because it was removed in the specific windows version i have because of license issue
> Nothing in the error message indicated it had anything to do with window media player libraries

> Try to run GTA V on linux with wine
> Get it to work within minutes

If you ever want to know why Windows sucks, here's why

Werks on my machine™
Try harder, Stallman

>stallman
>playing propietary games
?
Stallman would rather play freedoom or something else that's completely free and opensource than something that required propietary DRM service to run and is propietary in itself and will inevitably see half its soundtrack removed like GTA San Andreas or GTA4

>video games
Global rule 2. Quit being a faggot.

>freedoom
pretty sure doom itself is opensource, not just freedoom. I think the only purpose of freedoom is just so zandronum deathmatch players can compete even if they're too poor to afford DOOM

What the fuck is this gayming shit? Republic Of Gay. Saged.

>want to do [simple thing] on W10
>click icon
>that's it

>want to do [simple thing] on Linux
>step 1 of 792: open the terminal...

And this is why Linux will remain a joke forever.

Does this retard literally think it's reasonable to require people to "contribute" just to use their computer with a simple task during their personal time?

It's completely irrelevant whether or not the platform is meant for gaming, the only thing the software (all software) needs is compatibility, which Linux developers habitually go out of their way to avoid no matter how reasonable, just because they want to throw everything out and start over.

because in fact linux has an absolutely shitty way of dealing with system dependencies in its package management

becos they linux fags. its totally fuct and they will defend this retardation. go figure.

The terminal tutorial that you googled will usually be five years out of date and half of the software that it wants you to install isn't recommended anymore.

kek. underrated and actually indicative of their collective mindset

> Stallman would rather play with his pee and foreskin jerking off in the corner

thats why clicking on the desktop icon is in fact genius

oh my god, dude, you're so fucking cool dude. I wish I could be cool enough to spend hours of my life bitching about people who spend their free time in a way I don't like. You're so fucking awesome holy shit you're so grown up and redpilled
>inb4 rent free
gee I dunno dedicating your entire life to shitposting about a group of people you don't like seems pretty rent free to me, guy.

Attached: 1535378764525.gif (255x191, 1.9M)

So you went out of your way to use an incomplete version of Windows?

my biggest issue is trying fucking build shit with cmake on fucking popOS or ubuntu or really any of these fuckers shits just annoying as fuck to do.

>t. buttblasted nigger child

Looks like he mad you mad.

Just use OpenBSD. It Just Werks

I support Linux in principle but it's like daily driving a classic car

this is the modern-day "u mad bro?" what's up with all the self-purported adults on here being extremely childish? makes you think
you got me. Most of Jow Forums is just retards screaming at eachother though, so it hardly matters.

I was saying you made the troll mad.

People use memes and greentext to larp as career trolls with no emotional investment in what's going on, but that's not usually true. He looks like he can't figure out how to reply creatively.

this is a pretty respectable position to have, honestly. Although I'm of the belief that windows is becoming less and less usable as time progresses and linux is slowly becoming more usable. I've hopped onto the linux train in anticipation of that.

I have been using linux only for pretty much everything daily for the past couple years. If you pick a just werks distro everything will just work outside of a few things you may or may not have at first install. most games now will work with proton

>but it's like daily driving a classic car
Yeah, a classic car that's really ugly and even at its best is still mediocre.

this. Despite the fact that I almost always use open-source alternatives to all of my software, I am a bit apprehensive to ditch steam, even if it is considered spyware. I think Valve's steps towards linux support justifies it a bit, and they seem to have the same opinion about windows becoming more shit progressively, same as me.

>y-you're using the wrong distro!
I'm dying of laughter. Bill Gates probably is too

You know what's really sad about all this? Even with how shitty Windows 10 is, it's still light years better than the best Linux distro.
Imagine a totally new distro, one that is literally perfect in every way you can think of. Now realize that Windows would still kick its ass.

"i use linux as my operating system," i state proudly to the unkempt, bearded man. he swivels around in his desk chair with a devilish gleam in his eyes, ready to mansplain with extreme precision. "actually," he says with a grin, "linux is just the kernel. you use GNU+linux." i don't miss a beat and reply with a smirk, "i use alpine, a distro that doesn't include the GNU coreutils, or any other GNU code. it's linux, but it's not GNU+linux."

the smile quickly drops from the man's face. his body begins convulsing and he foams at the mouth as he drop to the floor with a sickly thud. as he writhes around he screams "I-IT WAS COMPILED WITH GCC! THAT MEANS IT'S STILL GNU!" coolly, i reply "if windows was compiled with gcc, would that make it GNU?" i interrupt his response with "and work is being made on the kernel to make it more compiler-agnostic. even if you were correct, you won't be for long."

with a sickly wheeze, the last of the man's life is ejected from his body. he lies on the floor, cold and limp. i've womansplained him to death.

you are using the wrong distro if you dont want to set shit up use distros that set shit up for you. There are tons of options. However like I said you still have set up a few things that are not completely worked out in linux yet like Video drivers and screen tearing issue on some hardware other compatibility issues.

steam linux client is so fucking shit it pisses me off. I only use the steam web chat now unless i want to play a game.

I used to symbolically link up to date libraries to old versions in /usr/lib when dealing with this problem.

based and vaginapilled.

Yes the engine is free but not the assets though I guess that still counts

actually it's step 1
open terminal
step 2
go to directory
step 3
./(program name) (worst case scenario)
Windows 10 is
Step 1
click start menu because i deadass know you dont have every app on desktop
Step 2
Click all programs or search for program name
Step 3
Click

However if you have a program from the repos on Linux it's even shorter
Step 1
Open Terminal
Step 2
Type program name

Tl;dr you're gay and stupid

Don't buy abandonware next time.

There are no distros that set shit up for you. Properly diagnosing what is wrong, installing, and sometimes using the tools to fix it invariably require the terminal.

In Windows, all dependencies are provided with the software you purchased except for a few things that are driver related or whatnot.

reminder that /v/tards don't belong on technolo/g/y

It's exactly the same as the Windows version, and they're both fine.

>gaymes
Try metamorphosing into an adult. You'll find Linux very worthwhile

[simple thing] is pretty ambiguous
you either mean opening a program or installing a program.
If you mean installing a program, you're oversimplifying it to an extreme degree.
>Windows 10
>download wizard
>click run
>next, next, next
>set the file path you want the program to run in
>next, next, next
>complete
>wait a couple minutes
or
>download loose-file with exe
>open seperate file manager instance
>drop contents of folder with exe into the directory you want it to be in
whereas, assuming it's not in your repositories (it usually is) the process is almost exactly the same on linux
>download tarball
>open tarball
>open a seperate file manager instance (worst case scenario you have to open it with sudo)
>drop contents of tarball in your applications folder
it's not as hard as you make it out to be
>b-but you have to do it in the terminal and that's hard!
it's not hard, but you don't even need to do that. You can just get 7zip or Xarchive

Clicking next a couple of times to install dependencies isn't really a step. If you're going to bitch about mouseclicks then you better be bitching about number of keystrokes into the terminal.

Most linux applications don't come with all of their dependencies if you're not getting it from a repo.

>if you're gonna bitch about mouseclicks
well I wasn't, my point was that it's just as easy
>Most linux applications don't come with all of their dependencies if you're not getting it from a repo.
what obscure software/distro are you using that both isn't in your repositories AND has dependencies that aren't already preinstalled? Also, this problem literally does not exist on arch-based distros, and if you're that picky about what software you use you're better off with one of those

this thread showcases how utterly delusional are linux niggers
it will never achieve any relevalnce in the desktop market because of these stuck up retards, which is sad because microsoft could benefit from competition

Who cares about video games? As an adult you shouldn't be playing games. Unironically, by the way. I don't understand what value it has, especially these days, with the microtransactions, lootboxes, and all that bullshit. On top of having to buy an overpriced card to hopefully run at 60 FPS because the developers don't want to optimize. Then dealing with drivers and bullshit.

You clearly have no clue of what you're talking about so stop embarrassing yourself.

>OP says he plays games
>retard automatically assumes this means he's playing recent, contemporary garbage
the only thing he specified was that he's on gog, he could be playing anything from indie games, postal 2, or crysis for all you know

>Linux is an OS.
It's a kernel. There's no Linux beyond the kernel.

>I'm not calling Windows Windows/NT either, am I?
Do you call it NT? No?
Then why do you call GNU, "Linux"?

Attached: 1521917625284.jpg (960x439, 94K)

>what? You don't know that I dislike video games? You play them even though they're bad?
Well, I'm diagnosing you with aspergurs.

Have you tried using lutris and proton?
They make running windows game on linux pretty painless.

Nope, the OS is Linux. Naming conventions aren't mathematical and there's no confusion concerning kernel vs OS.