/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1565818265091.png (3000x3062, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rT7h62OYQv8
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what's the best office suite for linux besides Microsoft Windows (looking for a linux counterpart for word and excel at least)

LibreOffice isnt as good as Microsoft's one

Were you sitting waiting patiently for someone to start a new /fglt/ thread so you could shill microsoft in it? Anyone can start a new thread you know.

M$ bots don't have that capability yet, the web spider crawls Jow Forums looking for suitable existing threads.

well, he is right tho. libre office sucks

Any thoughts on gimp or GNUshit?

gimp is fine

Glad you like it.
>Otherwise I was going to suggest if you don't like GNU/Linux and GNU/Linux software accessories, why the fuck are you always here being an annoyance when it would be so much easier to just fuck right off, and just forget about GNU/Linux and it's components.

Is it possible to rice an already "furnished" kernel? I installed ubuntu-mate and i'm afraid to break shit.

Attached: fuuka.png (828x1299, 839K)

depends on the kernel and if you can get the source code

Sorry, i am a retard, i meant distro
I just want to make it look nice

I've been playing with Guix in a VM but I've had trouble adjusting to using Scheme for system configuration because I'm shit. I want to like it but I'm too much of a brainlet to use it properly.

Is F2FS mature? any gotchas or unfinished shit?

So I installed manjaro on a laptop which has two graphics cards (intel hd and nvidia 1050ti). The system was installed just fine but it looks like the system doesn't automatically switch to nvidia when needed. Apps just don't see it as being available. I installed the bumblebee driver using the built-in tool.

fsck takes forever and it has no noticeable advantage over ext4

but it won't break anything? thanks

How do I enable spi on my pi
I went into /boot/config.txt
And commented out the part blocking spi, but flashboot is still giving me
/dev/spidev0.0 no such file or directory

Trying to install heavy gear 2 on ubuntu and i get a function not found: x86_64 when running the setup script, apparently it has to do with different shells, is there a way to run this script without changing my shell?

I'm testing out bspwm right now and the problem is I can't figure out how to have polybar hide itself when I go fullscreen. Right now I just have it kill polybar whenever I go fullscreen, and launch it right back when I go back to tiling.

is running transmission-daemon as my own user really any more of a security risk than running the gtk client?

I'm using bspwm right now and I never had this problem.
What command does it run when you press the keybind?
It should be bspc node -t ~fullscreen

Hey guys, I just installed Manjaro today. I used to use Ubuntu and eOS. Overall I like this much better than Windows, no more cursor lag.

My question is how do I make it look so cool like others setups. I've used i3 in the past, but it was a bit too technical for me, I'm not the best at remembering keyboard shortcuts.

I was a software dev student, but now I'm studying for the A+ so if you can think of any tools/utilities I can use I'd appreciate it. I've tried to install JDK 1.8 but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Attached: Help.png (1600x900, 2.06M)

It's possible if you have other untrustworthy users logged into your machine I suppose.

Also, is Compiz still a thing? I used to love the animations with that.

i3 has an excellent user guide which you should read, there's not a lot of keybinds, you only need to put some effort for a day or two before you get used to it.
To make it look the way you want to, you gotta get familiar with the config and change it to fit your preferences.
Also, set your terminal font, terminal colors, gtk theme and maybe firefox css so that everything looks neat and fits together nicely.
You can look up ricing tutorials on youtube or something if you feel the need to.

Is Linux worth downloading on a desktop PC? I don't have a laptop.

You're more likely to run into issues when it comes to your graphics card choice so I stay away from Linux on desktops. You can pick up a laptop for super cheap and throw linux on it and have a great experience.

I have a T430 which isn't a massive slouch, but in Windows things tend to lag a bit, I just installed Manjaro on it today and it's like a whole new machine. I'm not telling you to go buy a laptop to use Linux, but I do think it's the best way.

Lisp is God

anyone have a working setup for dynamic range compression/volume normalization/loudness equalization for pulseaudio?

It's exactly
bspc node -t fullscreen

pulseffects

asking the thread for pointers on debugging a certain usability issue

i have a dual boot ubuntu+windows install, and recently after fucking with my hardware and `udevadmn`, my keyboard inexplicably has the wrong layout when i sign into ubuntu on boot. I can't seem to fix it within Ubuntu even by explicitly changing my keyboard layout.

However, if I boot into my BIOS first, and then exit the BIOS into Ubuntu's bootloader, my keyboard layout will be suddenly return to normal.

I'm not expecting anyone to tell me what's wrong; but where can i start looking to find what the problem is and fix it? i know how to use most unix distros reasonably well, but wouldn't know the first thing to do to debug this into further why I my keyboard is fucked up on booting into Ubuntu.

tried that, it added a bunch of audio devices that fuck with my audio switcher. i'm looking more for something that just changes one of the outputs to be normalized. it looks like module-ladspa-sink would work that way but it don't know what values it wants.

F2FS makes raw flash devices last longer. That's what it's for. On PC drives there's no point.

I've just completed babby's first Linux installation. How do people hop back and forth between different distributions without losing all their files?

>I've just completed babby's first Linux installation. How do people hop back and forth between different distributions without losing all their files?
Keep /home on a separate partition.

>Keep /home/ on another partition
>rsync /home/ to another drive

I went with it on an SSD. According to phoronix benchmarks it's a bit hit and miss as to whether it or XFS is faster, but it blows all of them out of the water on application load times.

How long did it take you to overcome the tiling wm phase?
For me it was 2 years.

Attached: e0d2783ddf4ebd2a2c5d7d9188391490.jpg (860x1214, 86K)

Fixed it, went into raspi-config and into advance settings to enable it.

loaded question.
ignoring.

I'm liking Mint so far but can someone tell me how to modify the interface more? Normal scaling is too tiny and double scaling is clownishly large. Lowered the text scaling a bit which mitigated the problem but it looks really wonky. There's got to be some deeper level of parameter editing I can do.

When i had to recompile the entire program to move a window 1px
When i had to learn lua to move a window 1px

dumb neurotypical

Sorry to repost this but does anyone have an answer for my post in the last thread?

so by force of nature I needs me to make a linux/w10 machine. it's not my notebook and I'm literally sharing it with someone else. because its a pos I need it to run linux natively
how do I get my linux distro to be able to see the w10 partition? ito a fresh install and all my shit is on w10 partition

I'm trying to install artix on my gnomebox and it won't let me install grub.
Whenever I type
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
I get the following error
grub-install: error:failed to get canonical path of "overlay"
How do I fix this?

>be on Gentoo
>use FF as default browser ("www-firefox-bin", if it matters)
>browse a bit in the morning before shutting down and going to work
>come home from work today, and FF doesn't load any fucking page at all anymore, just loading forever with no error
>I think for a bit that my entire internet is somehow fucked, but see I can still ping, and my Wi-Fi is up
>download Opera and see it works, so I now know it's definitely fucking FF
>tried unmerging and emerging FF-bin again, but no change

What the fuck happened here, and how do I fix it?

How do I deal with multi monitors on a DE? Choosing how the computer should recognize their position, whether to duplicate or extended the screen, etc.

Is there any decent CLI application for sending text messages from an Android device?

Attached: tumblr_ded94ecb39384147919cbb5c92f4a584_c0ab2a7c_1280.jpg (938x1173, 210K)

sendmail and, if verizon, @vtext

I dont know how to word this
how do I check what hardware accelerations my computer offers? Id like to know if this cpu would be any good at dealing with x264 or x265 encoded video

how do i find my efi partition on arch? im trying to setup grub but it says /boot doesnt look like an efi partition. am i meant to be writing /dev/nvme0n1p1 instead?

find ... -print | xargs mkdir -pv test`dirname {}` && cp -pv {} "$_"
Is there a way to make xargs pass `dirname {}` to mkdir since what I quoted doesn't work? And I can't use or install rsync and the point is to copy files into a directory ("test" here) while replicating their original directory structure.

On my slackware laptop mine is in /boot/efi

Ill check my arch laptop if you answer this riddle:
Is it ethical for those with mental illness to reproduce?

(sorry advice board isnt working lol please dont ban me)

Termux with the API extension.

ill transcend and say "disable ad blocker on adv". now check for me please. my answer is "define the mental illness". will their kids have it or not? is it a mental illness like autism or sociopathy? Its too broad to just categorise

which file manager have thumbnails for images?

What are some ways to easily run w Windows VM with hardware acceleration, regardless of performance? Is virtualbox the only way? Searched around and I need to fuck around alot if using qemu etc

rm -rf ~/.mozilla
delete your firefox data directory
you will lose browsing history

Most of them. However, the file manager is not the file picker.

can't you just use cp -r

You should remember your EFI partition from when you set it up. Remember during partitioning.. or did you blindly follow an install guide?

check /etc/fstab whatever is mounted as /boot/efi will be your device, but it'll probably be a UUID. I'll leave you to figure out how to get a device (/dev/sda1) from a UUID. hint: blkid

all of them, you can even get thumbnails for mkv and the like with ffmpegthumbs / ffmpegthumbnailer depending if you are on KDE or GNOME

Thumnails in the file picker, well, GTK (GNOME, Xfce, MATE, firefox default on most distros) doesn't show an icon view just a list with tiny thumbnails and usually a larger preview of the highlighted file. KDE filepicker (kdialog, default on KDE, chrome on kde uses this, lxqt also uses this i think) has an icon view like you're used to for Windows, but it has limitations like not showing mkv thumbnails even with ffmpegthumbs installed. I find myself more and more just dragging things in from the file manager into the upload window, as I can find stuff easier through the file manager.

>disable ad blocker on Jow Forums
don't do this just add @@||sys.4channel.org/adv
@@||i.4cdn.org/adv
to your ad blocker filters

Why not use cp --recursive?

pcmanfm, thunar, dolphin

virt-manager is FOSS, not sure if it has hardware acceleration tho

>"disable ad blocker on adv"
That worked, thank you

>check for me please
Turns out I don't have a separate partition for efi on my machines. Did you encrypt your efi partition? If you did I believe it's not possible to decrypt before the OS wakes up

>"define the mental illness"
No formal diagnosis but probably autism, which is almost always passed on.

Okay thanks, will do

Attached: 675.jpg (1000x800, 301K)

im trying to set up arch with luks. my inital partitioning was nvme0n1p1 was boot and nvme0n1p2 was everything else (configured with root, swap and that other one)

Which will copy the entire dir and not only the files found by find? Or what do you guys mean?
Anywas, I got what I need with this beauty:
find ... -type f -print | awk -F\, '{print "mkdir -pv \"test`dirname '\''" $0 "'\''`\" && cp -pv '\''" $0 "'\'' \"$_\"";}' | sh
if anyone's interested

gross desu
find ... -type d -exec mkdir -p blah blah
find ... -exec cp

or use rsync like a regular human

Okay, I actually have an unencrypted efi partion on my slackware laptop

/etc/fstab line looks like
/dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi vfat defaults 1 0

This video might help you with sorting out the unlocking
youtube.com/watch?v=rT7h62OYQv8

Attached: 1556506655103.jpg (1024x768, 161K)

>find ... -type d -exec mkdir -p blah blah
What goes instead of blah blah? When I tried it find -exec choked on dirname passed to mkdir.
>find ... -exec cp
Where will cp from second command copy the files to?
>gross desu
Say what, motherfucker? /yeah I know it's gross but literally nothing else I tried worked in a oneliner/

>use rsync like a regular human
It's not in LFS book so I don't want to require it installed before chapter 6 (which I am trying to automate) with whatever dependencies and configuration it needs.

>find -exec choked on dirname passed to mkdir
>-type d
Ah nevermind the dirname part, but that implies I have the search criteria for directories which will also fit the files I want to find.
Anyways, probably an easy way to do what I want exists but fuck it, I have something that works.

Are there any FUCKHUGEMEGA theme packs for debian xfce? I've been on xfce-look but downloading and installing one by one is a bummer.

Attached: 811_meem.png (576x500, 336K)

As long as you have ntfs-3g installed, you should be just able to mount it, either with mount(8) or by putting it in your fstab(5). I would discourage you from mounting it read/write though. NTGS is proprietary, so the devs of ntfs-3g are ultimately guessing how it works, so fiel.system.corruption can happen. The best way to share data between Windows and GNI/Linux is a UDF filesystem (supported natively by both systems), either on a separate partition, or a separate drive. The only downside is that macOS won't be able to read jt, because for some rreason it obly supports UDF when the whole disk is formated as UDF rather than a partition. (Windows needs only a partition to be formated as UDF, while Linux doesn't care)
man xrandr

Is common lisp a meme?

Common Lisp is a kernel.

write a script to scrape them

That's a bit above my skill level. Never scripted before. Suggestions on starting?

I'm wanting to dual Win 10 and Arch but dont have the time to set it up from base. What's the most comf and user friendly distro? Also I am planning on ricing it.

I'm doing something similar. I also didn't have the time to set up Win 10, so I just dual boot Arch and Win 7. Much easier.

Fair I liked 7, but need 10 for some of my gaming stuff. I got a hp spectre x360 for an ridiculously low price near the beginning of the year, and only now found time to set up GNU/linux.

It sometimes gets lost in the shuffle screeching about desktop stuff, but Linux is a fantastic kernel for performance. NT, XNU/Mach, Haiku's kernel, Genode, they all run like crusty butthole on something as simple as "git clone" compared to Linux. The only things that come close are FreeBSD and DragonFly BSD. It's literally faster for me to run my full Spacemacs session in a Linux or BSD terminal session in SSH over a VPN over wifi than it is to try and coax this shitbook poo into running Spacemacs locally, let alone actually doing dev work. I can't wait until I trade this fucker in for a work-issue Linux laptop.

Is thre a distro thats up to date like arch, minimal like arch but has an installer? I tried zen installer but it was a pos that crashed itself. Installing arch with luks is way too complicated for me and every time i get close something goes wrong.

Does anyone have a guide to getting the new Nvidia Optimus drivers to work? I installed Manjaro and switched to the unstable branch, and am running the new Xorg and Nvidia drivers, the nvidia driver isn't running though, and I'm not sure what configuration needs to be done

I'm normally always agaist installers because they are the stupidest thing and anyone can install arch if they just tried because it's one of the easiest net installs out there but... anarchy installer has luks

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
always search the arch wiki. I don't even use an arch based os and it's the best guide out there for any distro

Read the question, retard.
The Arch wiki does not have any information on the NEW Optimus driver beta. The reason I'm on Manjaro is because they added the patched Xorg package to their unstable repo. Don't just handwave me to the Arch wiki if you can't be bothered to check that it hasn't been updated since the first day of the month and clearly has no information for the new Nvidia drivers that actually support Optimus.

wow that seems too easy. why the aversion to it? all it does it make stuff easier to install. does it leave any marks on the system at the end?

manjaro

Thanks for the answer anyway, but the problem is gone now. I don't know wtf did it. Similar to your suggestion, I had already tried clearing all cookies & cache & offline site data from the browser but that changed nothing. After that, I had pretty much given up and shut down, but I rebooted again now and it's working. Maybe clearing the data did work and but it was still acting dumb without rebooting.

Allright my snap chromium fucking broke when I tried to uninstall it. First I tried through the terminal, that just got stuck trying to disconnect interfaces, the software center gives me "Unable to remove Chromium; snap "chromium" has "remove-snap" change in progress.
It's also not launching anymore. Reboot didn't help with any of this. Please, I just want to get rid of this slow ass snap.

>using snap
serves you right
package manager exists for a reason, if you don't need it go use LFS

It was an accident I swear

cant live without touch to click but it's waaay too sensitive on ubuntu, just slight palm touch clicks somewhere while typing

You can change pressure values and such with xinput.

device does not have ABS_PRESSURE/ABS_MT_PRESSURE

What's the best free GNU/Linux distro? Trisquel or Dragora or something else?

Guix, of course.

hmm ok i tried anarchy rch but it just boots into a recovery kernel. fucking hell man i just want arch (cause manjaro had too much blot for my liking)

If you can't install arch what makes you think you should use a rolling release distro?

you can disable the touchpad for like 500 ms while typing in libninput i think