Is the Colemak keyboard layout worth using or is it just a meme?

Is the Colemak keyboard layout worth using or is it just a meme?

Attached: colemak.jpg (500x567, 64K)

all keyboards that aren't normal ones are memes

Meme

why does this person type 190 so much

and why do they never use the spacebar

colemak is for mutants with same size fingers

yeah but what about for programming?

no amount of "increased efficiency" is worth having to learn a new keyboard layout but also retain qwerty proficiency for any time you have to use a machine besides your own

>arst neio

>get used to meme keyboard layout
>go use a normal PC
>actually slower
lol

fpbp

if you do learn a new layout, that might be ok at home, but what about the next time you have to use a computer at work, or someone else's computer. They're literally all qwerty so it makes sense to just use and learn the default.

parentheses and exclamation

All of these hipster layouts that aren't QWERTY are just fucking memes. You are wasting your time, because you have spend hundreds of hours retraining yourself to type. I also strongly doubt that outside of copying sentences on-screen, you aren't regularly typing at your best speed.

What you actually want are one of these bad boys, used by court stenographers who type shit up at a professional 225WPM(+).

Attached: Blaze-Brown.png (772x648, 529K)

you can't touch type?

>he never learned to curl his fingers.

>son, can you help me with my computer?
>yes mom, but first let me change your keyboard layout to a meme layout so i can type in a meme layout on an unfamiliar keyboard

There is literally nothing wrong with using QWERTY.

ITT a bunch of faggots.
Colemak is great and can really help if you have rsi problems.
Qwerty is retarded and it should be dumped like medical bloodsuckers and other comtemporary shit.
>but muh work computer
None of you faggot work. And if you do and you can use your own keyboard/account you better start looking for a new job.
>but muh other people
Yeah, you surelly need to type at 100+ wpm when fixing your mom pc.

>he thinks that people who touch type colemak or dvorak can't also touch type qwerty

I've used Colemak for close to 10 years. If I'm using a computer for a short period of time I keep it as QWERTY and hunt/peck like the average person. Same for gaming. For me the inconveniences are out-weighed by the comfort of using a layout that was actually designed for efficiency.

Everything but QWERTY is a meme.
This. OP is a fag and DVORAK advocates are retarded.

Sage & hide.

found the mutant

what about azerty?

Spaces are bloat

Alternative layouts are all memes. Stick to QWERTY.
There's no significant evidence indicating faster or more efficient typing with other layouts and learning new, uncommon or obscure layouts does nothing for the user but introduce a shitload of inconsistency and inconvenience.

Stick to QWERTY.

Colemak keeps the shitty bottom row from QWERTY. Dvorak is easier to type on and the most relevant alternative keyset. Colemak is just pure hipster. If you're going so far as to not just learn an alternative keyset, but to learn an obscure alternative keyset, you might as well go full CarpalX.

All keyboard layouts are a meme except qwerty

i would but i've been on dvorak for almost 20 years and i like it because i program

lol no, dvorak is faster and more comfortable, fag

ColemakDH

Lmao what are you doing, someone changed your keyboard layout in class as a prank and you were so beta that rather than retaliate chose to learn the new one?

Attached: 1545020461312.png (458x485, 312K)

please stop

In the late 1800s typists were too fast and caused typewriters to jam, so they deliberately designed
QWERTY to make typing
as slow as possible.

>faster and more comfortable
Placebo.
You're taking time to commit a new layout to muscle memory for no reason.

It's pretty trivial ime
I clock 40 or so qwerty, 100 or so colemak. Takes me five minutes to switch. Took a few months to learn, however it doesn't require any upkeep
It's faster because fewer finger travel distance is required. Even if you aren't constrained by speed, you can spare your fingers by forcing them to travel less far to type a given string
Steno is certainly better, though it is even harder to learn than another keyboard layout, and seems to be by no means solved in the application of programming

if you dont use vim keybinds anywhere, its not a meme.
if you're likely to have strain injuries it definitely helps.

Dvorak > Colemak

Nice user, what did you use to learn? I am doing 70 on QWERTY myself and just can't seem to progress further. Been wanting to learn Colemak mod-DH for a while now.

Wrong, Workman > all.

100% meme, just learn to touch type qwerty

Hipster.

Only autists obsess over symmetry.

It's 100% worth it, I can't believe how much more comfortable it is, and yes, I can still type on QWERTY

>Literally optimizing his typing but still only manages 100wpm
>Basically has to touch type on any normal keyboard
Jej

Attached: 1564211724224.jpg (720x480, 82K)

>wasting your time learning meme layouts
anything other that qwerty is a meme

Qwerty definitedly is better, also other languages do exist so. if you speak 2 languages like any normal person would you don't need colemak

False. I type in German and English (mostly English) and Colemak is still a lot better.

both similar languages.

LOL how is the heat map at the top a bad thing?

I'm also using it with an IME for Japanese.

How are some of you so slow at typing? Below 100 WPM is garbage. Go do a few thousand typeracer races then come back

Lmao why do you all care so much about typing speed? I bet you still make typos which take 5 seconds to correct when actually writing meaningful things instead of staring at a list of words and typing brainlessly

QWERTY sucks.
especially after getting really used to dvorak.
It's so awkward having to go back and realizing how far much extra work you have to put in to type.

Because we have sex, incel

Meme, Dvorak works just as well.

You'd like for this to be true, but it isn't. Cope harder.

>azerty
That's for africans

Why does Jow Forums discuss kb layouts so much? Literally any of them are fine if you know the layout and can touchtype

The person who made this should die in a fire.