So I just ordered a new phone because my old one died. Unfortunately it doesn't have a headphone jack

So I just ordered a new phone because my old one died. Unfortunately it doesn't have a headphone jack.
What's the best USB C DAC that's out there right now in terms of audio quality?

Attached: 51mzPoITkmL._SL1340_.jpg (1340x1000, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

north-america.beyerdynamic.com/impacto.html
ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=8745
audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-cobalt
soundguys.com/android-usb-audio-class-3-0-18494/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Beyerdynamic has one that I THINK only works on their headphones, but it's as good as it gets.

north-america.beyerdynamic.com/impacto.html

I don't see how a DAC would only work with a certain bran of headphones. But, yikes that price. I should have phrased it better: Best USB C DAC that's out there without spending half the price of the phone. I'd like to stay below 60$ if possible.

I've heard great things about these. Hidisz Sonata, look it up.
Next time, ask either on /iemg/ or /hpg/

Attached: file.png (1100x1100, 452K)

It's like $190 on amazon, but yeah, still expensive.

The compatibility just means the amp is powerful enough for high impedance headphones. A 3.5mm analog jack can not possibly have DRM.

But a USB C port could... Oh shit, I think we're onto something.

For a while, some mixers had a special circuit from the RIAA that would scramble the output over aux and would be de-scrambled by a compatible chip on certain sound systems.

Those mixers were not popular.

If it doesn't come with one in the box why not invest in bluetooth headphones instead.

Just buy a phone with the fucking 3.5mm jack, stupid cunt!

I got one of those and the usb part warms up quite a lot

Forget the audio quality, you need durability. Those pieces of shits will break next to the connector. Get one without the small cable part or a splitter.

>dude just buy a garbage phone specifically because it has a headphone jack
>what? no don't actually get a good phone and learn to work around its few incapabilities

This is actually a sensible option. Bluetooth 5 has extremely low latency (not the same as a wired connection, obviously, but still indistinguishable without equipment) and Bluetooth audio quality hasn't actually been a problem since like 2014.

ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=8745

Attached: ibasso-dc01-adaptateur-dac-symetrique-usb-c-hi-res-ak4493-32bit-384khz-dsd256.jpg (900x900, 70K)

imaging cucking yourself into a false dichotomy like this

>USB-C
>DAC
>Serial Bus
>Digital-Analog Converter
LMAO, tech-illiterate audiophile

Attached: 1558223771605.jpg (743x928, 89K)

So your converting you music from digital, to analog, back to digital?
Do you mean a DAC for recording instruments directly to your phone? Or do you not even know what a DAC is?

What the fuck are you talking about? A DAC is a digital-to-analog converter, so it converts a digital signal into an analog signal.

>$999

Why? Just get digital speakers. Its 2019, luddite memer

Currently on iphone SE but within a few years ill probably have to get a phone that needs one of these, is it fine to leave the dongle connected to the headphones when not using them?

Its for people that buy gold-plated HDMI cables

>people

Why wouldn't it be fine? As I said above, the only problem with these is they are fucking crap quality and the cable breaks.

Just get a Shanling UP2.

Attached: 223BEAB7-3D05-48A0-A9F1-51A2E99948CE.jpg (960x960, 122K)

>what is s10, s9, note 9

Let's rephrase that one shall we?

>I bought a new phone without a headphone jack and told that company it's ok to remove useful things instead of buying a phone that has one.

Nigger just use bluetooth

>Samshit
All shit, next.

You know they're getting rid of the headphone jack too? They've already started the process with the Note line and some of the A series. It's highly likely the next in the S series won't have them either.

The Apple usb c to 3.5mm dongle is a good choice unironically. There's nothing better in the price range up to ~40$. If you can spend more I'd pick the new ibasso dongl tho.

Get one of the dragonfly DACs, they have 3 different models at different price points.
audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-cobalt

>buying a product by a company that makes 1000 $ HDMI cables
No thanks.

Probably because it's not USB audio class 3.0.

soundguys.com/android-usb-audio-class-3-0-18494/

Attached: uac.jpg (843x844, 163K)

Are you for real? USB DAC is fucking common even for desktop users.

On desktop we used to call them USB soundcards, until zoomers came and I guess "DAC" sounds more appealing to them.

Fiio K3 or the e10k if you are broke

>good phone
>no headphone jack
pick one

A soundcard is a DAC you unrepentant brainlet.

That is exactly what he said

cringe
just delete your post, man

kys jew

DAC is for playback only, soundcard can do both playback and record.

You are the reason OEMs can do this and get away with it. Fuck. You.

>good phones and 3.5mm jack are mutually exclusive.
Holy shit fa.m

This.
If a phone doesn't have headpone jack I'm not buying it. Simple as.

Pro tip: 99% of people don't give a shit about this. But keep on with your autistic screeching on 4chang.

And I don't care what people think, I care about what my phone has and doesn't have.
Removing headphone jacks is blatant anti-consumer practice but hey, if you enjoy having that corporate dick lodged in your throat then good for you.

In terms of DAC quality for the price, Apple's type C ones are actually pretty decent. Not built amazingly well, like all Apple cables, but it's working just fine as a second one for my Galaxy Tab S5e. Plus some part of me gets some enjoyment out of using a standards-complaint Apple product as an accessory for a different brand entirely.

Name a good phone that debuted in the year 2019 that still has a headphone jack.

LG G8

That's not the point. Because OEMs don't make them doesn't mean it can't be done. It's an artificial restriction that has no use other than a blatant money grab. For consumers this extra few $$$ probably isn't the problem but it most of all a huge inconvenience.

What really annoys me is when manufacturers don't even include them in the box. With Apple it almost feels like an insult. Two grand on the phone but you've got to drop the extra $10 for the dongle. Because fuck you.

If you don't like it don't buy it. I like the current focus on wireless.
Plus the bluetooth DAC market is booming, so you can expect cheaper and better bluetooth gear soon.

>no use other than a blatant money grab
Nigger the only reason these manufacturers exist is to make money. They're not a chartiy

Maybe it's because they'll be switching to USB-C soon and they don't want to have obsolete connectors around.

that would just make all phones in 2019 bad????

I don't see how better bluetooth gear is dependent on the extinction of the jack. I have a phone with jack because I can plug it into anything and use a BT headset as well. These are two completely different technologies that I'd like to exist simultaneously.

Doesn't count

And I'd like to have a parallel port on it, because I'm a special snowflake too.

In fact, I bought a new phone from 2017 two months ago because no newer phones, regardless of price, were better.

Do most jackless phones even need a DAC?
Don't they normally have some kind of analogue audio over USB hack, allowing a dumb adapter?

Or is DAC just zoomer talk for adapter cable?

In theory type-C allows for exactly what you're describing but I don't think anybody's actually implemented it. A transparent DAC and shitty little amp sufficient for powering cheap IEMs or whatever are basically a couple cents these days so there's not been a massive push for it anyway, since it doesn't add much to cable price.

>I don't think anybody's actually implemented it.
Plenty of phones pass an analog signal through USB-C. That sucks, because it makes things confusing for users.

I think it will only get better once every single phone and headphones support class 3.0.

i used this kind of a cable from usb-c to 3.5mm audio plug and it died down in a few weeks of usage, the cable came with the phone (ulefone armor 3)
i changed it for a bluetooth receiver, that way i can keep the phones usb-c lid closed and waterproof at all times

That would be nice, but almost no one actually implements analog pass through functionality for USB type-c since its an optional part of the specification.

>Using Redmeme Airdots with my phone, which has a headphone jack
>Using wired headphones with my tablet, which doesn't have a headphone jack
I feel like I'm doing this backwards.

>That sucks, because it makes things confusing for users.

So Brainlets are the reason we can't have nice things.
Just buy the right adapter for your phone it's not rocket science.

>I think it will only get better once every single phone and headphones support class 3.0.

Or.....just send analogue audio over USB-C and not worry about power consumption.

>LG
>good
nah.
the only 'good' things about LG's phones anymore are in fact the headphone jacks themselves.

>keep the phones usb-c lid closed and waterproof at all times

How is that even a concern?
If the port gets wet you just can't use it for a while......which you aren't doing anyways.
Also having something plugged in will probably waterproof it almost as good as that dumb lid.

Maybe just dont buy a phone that doesn't have a headphone jack?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy A40 new at release for 250€.
>Almost full-screen display
>Small notch for just the camera
>Great Battery Life
>Great Camera
>Root Rom in development
>Headphone jack on bottom where it belongs

pic relates

Attached: 20190815_150751.jpg (217x430, 68K)

>Just buy the right adapter for your phone it's not rocket science.
I've seen posters on Jow Forums being confused about this. It's just how normies are.

>just send analogue audio over USB-C
That would mean you'd have to implement DACs into computer USB-C ports... it's messy. Better to have the DAC part with the headphones themselves. It makes more sense.

Apple USB-C Dongle is good apparently. Cheapest thing they sell, and the only one worth buying. audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

Attached: rainbow cat.jpg (1080x1350, 137K)

>buying Samshit
whoa we have literal boomers here

you are a retard and I refuse to help you stupid fucking niggers like you
neck yourself faggot

LG isn't the best, but if you thin they suck, you're either a chink phone buying retard, or a pixel buying retard, and in either case your opinion is discarded.

Apple is one of the few tech companies that actually cares about audio.
I know Jow Forumsv/tards don't want to admit it, but it's true.

Why not just buy an old flagship, like the v30? woudn't it be much better than this phone?
I have never used cheap phones, mainly because i like samshits big and sharp displays on their flagships.
Why buy midrange when there's older, much higher end flagships. Older top of the line SoCs probably still btfo newer low range chips.

>That would mean you'd have to implement DACs into computer USB-C ports.

Wait.....they are removing headphone jacks from laptop too now?

>Better to have the DAC part with the headphones themselves. It makes more sense.
Not when it consumes shitloads of power, as the article explains.
Sure they can then come up with some fancy power saving feature but that will only make it more expensive and less reliable.

It's literally the only one I can easily get here in Australia that's not some two star shit on Amazon that breaks in the first week. Honestly not bad based on my experiences with it so far.

Even the new Note has no headphone jack.
Soon no good phone will because marketing departments gonna marketing.

>>Serial Bus
>>Digital-Analog Converter
Yes, USB-C to 3.5mm NEEDS to have a built in DAC to function on most devices.
There is nothing tech-illiterate about that post.

>return the phone
>buy something else

>Wait.....they are removing headphone jacks from laptop too now?
Sure, why not. But even if they don't, people will plug their new USB-C headphones into those ports and expect them to work.

All this adapter/dongle business is just temporary. In a couple of years most headphones sold will be USB-C.

>Sure they can then come up with some fancy power saving feature but that will only make it more expensive and less reliable.
More expensive, not really, once these things are mass produced and there are no license costs. Less reliable? News to me.
Apparently some Pixel phones already support class 3.0 and they seem to work fine, though I don't use one myself.

Either buy a dedicated media player or use Bluetooth. It’s not that hard.

>buy a dedicated media player
- the absolute state of "smart" phones.

I was wondering about this. The Mi Mix 2 I have passes an analog signal, and I thought that was some kind of cost-saving measure. I am not a very smart person. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They did, however, manage to cheap out hard on MHL support, which doesn't exist on this phone.

I use my phone and Bluetooth headphones. I don’t need live symphony quality music to drown out the sound of beggars on the subway.

Explain Beats then

What? I got a Pixel 3a XL and it's great same with all the Galaxy phones until they stopped putting the headphone jack in

What's there to explain? They want to make money off of retards.
Still, products with an Apple logo tend to be good in the audio department, and I don't mean just hardware, but mostly software (low latency, good AAC encoders...).

If you're upgrading a few years (and headphone jacks don't comeback) just get usb-c headphones

Kys jacklets

what phone because 90% of the phones that removed the headphone jack for whatever meme reason they claim still have an internal DAC

>wants audio jack
>buys phone without audio jack
brainlet.png