Want to learn c++

>want to learn c++
>you're too stupid to understand IDE and how programs even get libraries
fuck this shit I'm out
I wanted to create simple window with OpenGL but I just don;t get it
I thought you just create a folder on your computer titled libraries, put OpenGL and GLFW or whatever in it and then simply link the folder but now I see you must add every single library manually with project properties what a shitshow fuck programming

Attached: 1552660401595016867.gif (500x260, 1.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a9529502-6304-4aa6-90ee-0757ab258d87/create-c-windows-forms-application-in-visual-studio-2017?forum=winforms
lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
youtube.com/watch?v=XAb6kbkKguk
learncpp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

people use cmake and kill your self

>IDE
Learn how your computer works instead of having your hand held like a retarded infant. There's some value in IDEs automating tasks for experienced developers, but starting with one is a good way to educate yourself stupid.

on Windows c++ programs look for the dll files in the current directory before looking in the dll directory. so it's possible to load dll by just dropping them into the same folder your exe is in.

Use some library like SDL you fucking retard.
Better yet, kys.

dude it's really not that bad. is right on all accounts, fuck the people who are like "oh no IDEs are for babbies" but imo you do have to work your way up to them and at least understand how linkage actually works. i have such a hard time teaching people programming because they always get so demotivated during this phase, but it's like, after you've done it once and you get the hang of it, setting up your projects is basically nothing.

>fuck programming
nah fuck the nature of c and c++ libraries, like i said after you figure it out you figure it out and it's smooth sailing (usually)

1. SDL is not a graphics API
2. he'd run into the exact same issue with SDL as well
3. kys for comparing apples and oranges

he mentioned using GLFW, and as far as SDL as concerned it's doing the exact same thing: opening a window and setting up a GL context

Just look up tutorials. Or try using Python. If you don't NEED to use cpp don't.

>SDL is not a graphics API
Well yes it is as well as a cross platform windowing system.
If the retard doesn't know how to link libraries to an executable he should either learn or go find something easier to do with his life.
Because if the retard is having problems with linking, graphics programming is quite beyond any skill level he'll ever achieve.

social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a9529502-6304-4aa6-90ee-0757ab258d87/create-c-windows-forms-application-in-visual-studio-2017?forum=winforms
Just use winforms if you're working with visual studio

this is kind of my barrier to coding too, i've got tons of experience in scripting and writing code that runs through interpreters or other engines.

i understand the logic of programming but when it comes to the more esoteric things that you need to know to make an executable i have no fucking clue what i'm doing and everything assumes you've got some experience with software development or need to be explained what hello world is, with no middle ground. i don't want help understanding what a function is i want help understanding how to set up an IDE

>lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

>Well yes it is
i mean it could count if you wanna use the built-in shit to make a smol 2d game or something, but if OP is wanting to use opengl there's a good chance he isn't just doing 2d given the vast amount of tools out there even outside of c or c++, but as far as most graphics programmers are concerned SDL is literally just a tool to spin up a GL context and receive input
>If the retard doesn't know how to link libraries to an executable he should either learn or go find something easier to do with his life.
oh fuck off don't act like you were never bad at something at one point, i'd agree that he should take baby steps instead of jumpin immediately into graphics programming based on his trouble here but he isn't hopeless by any means. unless you're seriously pushing boundaries, graphics programming isn't the voodoo magic people make it out to be

desu just keep tryin shit and google whatever error messages you receive, also:
here
youtube.com/watch?v=XAb6kbkKguk if you're usin VS

learncpp.com/
here you have explaination for retards how to use basic IDE stuff
to know how link libraries scroll to the bottom to Appendix parts

Just read up on what a makefile is
It migh seem intimidating, but for basic usage it's actually easier to write it, than to use trash convoluted IDE interface

This is what happens when you try running before learning to walk

Learn the using keyword, namespaces, header files, make files, windows PATH, etc before moving on to an IDE. C++ is not an easy language, especially if you skip the basics.

>using keyword
I meant include, have c# on the brain right now

The best way to learn for any programmer would be to learn assembly. It puts pretty much every language in perspective in terms of strengths and weaknesses and teaches a solid respect for programming any system.

I personally recommend 8086 assembly, since it is; 1) relatively simple to learn and understand the CPU while it operates in 16-bit real mode (with the exception of segmentation), 2) the BIOS will always be there to help you and 3) real hardware is plentyful for testing.

Learning assembly gives a deeper knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes, how data is passed around the processor and system, etc.

I would recommend against an IDE if you already have some experience and are willing to invest a little time to getting setup properly. Learn to write Makefiles, and use standard utilities such as ld, cc/gcc, objdump, nasm, etc.

Assembly is the best way to learn how hardware concepts work. It's not a good first language at all unless you're trying to gatekeep.

It's not a good first language, no. I'd assume some basic knowledge of something like Python or JS first (toy languages). Assembly should be learnt sooner rather than later though (preferably before embarking on any big projects or a career path) since it teaches fundamental concepts of software, which many languages obscure away (by design, since, they're languages after all). It's not just limited to hardware knowledge.

The problem is, there are so many C# programmers out there that couldn't tell you the difference between stack allocation and heap allocation, yet if their program overflows the stack, they'll shrug and blame it on a function in the trace. This is usually correct, but they fail to recognise or understand the underlying cause.

>what is CMake

I will never understand why people use IDEs. Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways, but for me the only “IDE" I need is my OS. I fire up either vim or nano depending on the project and my mood, and start typing. I have all the syntax highlighting I need in either editor, then when I'm finished I compile the code. I find that a gui actually makes the process slower and less intuitive because I have to do a bunch of clicking and dragging and extra shit that is totally unnecessary in a command line interface based environment.

the only reason to learn c++ is to make videogames.

The only thing you need to know is how what you're programming works. Everything else is garbage information, like makefiles, compilers, configurations... I don't care, it's all the same shit, source code in - binary out.

I agree. IDEs can still be good for languages with a clusterfucked build process like .NET or Java, but even most java shit has migrated to gradle.

Vim does everything I would want it to do, and every time I've used an IDE it just felt like it got in the way. I'd rather use a few different tools that do a job very well than a single tool that does all jobs okay.

most programmers are not GNUmales

are there any guides on how to make everything IDE does for you by yourself?

I like how IDEs are configured out of the box. visual studio has excellent under-cursor tooltips and I don't need to learn any key combos, addons or configs, just click. I tried vim and spend 30 seconds figuring out how to exit, it's such a brainless design choice from punchcard era.

Every person I've ever met with this mentality were developers trained on Windows who wrote the most disgusting, bloated code imaginable with absolutely terrible design patterns.

Baby duck.

>I've ever met
Sad to be you I guess.
>Baby duck.
Works on my machine. Don't cry when I publish a .sln and you ask about build instructions.

Do you actually know what "baby duck" means? Serious question, because your response was completely unrelated.

just when i thought g couldnt get any more ridiculous we got a guy saying you should learn assembly.
lets say i go a bug on my freaking web app.
How is knowing all the minute shit that goes on inside my computer going to help?

>acting like "learn asm" is new
>freaking
>web app
You need to be 18 or older to post here.

Yep. My job is to write code, not do autistic tinkering, that's for code monkeys.

Cool, so you have literally no idea what it means.

I wish c/c++ had a build system like rust

Works on my machine. Get better at computers.

What does that have to do with accusing someone of being a baby duck? No one ever said IDEs are non-functional. That's got nothing to do with the meaning of the phrase. Am I being memed on?

>Baby duck.

Let me guess, you're running Win 7 in 2019 right user?

I have the same problem as the OP, I know how to code but I have literally no idea about the program structure, my IDE does it for me, are there any resources that would explain it to me in simple and not too complicated way?
just explain it to me like I'm 5

You're getting dabbed on, autistic tinkerer.

Just installed Void a few weeks ago, migrating over from Debian, actually. Liking it quite a lot so far.

If you say so, fren

Does your "editor" even support font ligatures

>C++
>IDE and Libraries
maybe you should have gone to school after all

>t. LARPer who """"writes it all himself"""

if you're using VS maybe try CodeBlocks?
it's much easier and more intuitive if you're just starting

This or CLion if you want a visually palpable environment.

What's a good book for learning how to create game engines? Lazyfoo is good for understanding SDL, but I want something that applies how SDL works to create a game engine

Attached: 1502820413888.png (500x633, 42K)

>SDL
don't, just don't

what's wrong with SDL?

it's jakc of all trades master of none

bump

bump

just fucking learn dude

programming is for fucking morons and math is infinitely harder anyway

I know basic OOP and C++, whats a good place to start to get into making actual software that does things? I tried looking at some open source projects but the code is so dense and without any comments and I don't know where to start looking at it. I was also thinking about just learning GTK+, they actually have a pretty extensive tutorial on how to use it.

What would be an alternative way for audio playback?

>t.

Attached: 1553673093631.jpg (234x215, 9K)

find it yourelf, there must be plenty of stuff like that

I fucking hate makefiles, who the fuck thought this incomprehensible garbage was a good idea
cmake manages to be even worse, holy shit.
I am legitimately put off from developing software in c++ just because of this alone, not even an IDE can save you

Attached: 1556034400933.jpg (660x680, 55K)

They're literally just shell scripts with labels. It could not be simpler.

is there really no alternative? why no one cares about making it easier?

C/C++ is only for big-brained boys who can figure out how to write a fucking text configuration file.

>go through a cpp book
>not a single one bothers to give even a bit of insight on how to deal with compiling, linking and let alone makefiles
good lord what a shitshow

this
all I saw was code and problem solving without any knowledge about what is the file structure of the program not even mentioning the linking

POSIX Makefiles are easy.

All this arguing when you can just Python

Attached: 1556855003644.jpg (535x535, 33K)

The language is separate from the toolchain, zoomer. It's not a packaged, all-in-one consumer product.

How the fuck do you use even use .so library?

based redpilled boomer

gcc and clang are still the most popular and they both work similarly for the basic things like the entirety of the shit covered in those books. There are literally NO reason to not cover it

>too stupid to follow a fucking youtube tutorial
god you're just a waste of oxygen

based serb

Attached: 9781430266679.jpg (405x500, 38K)

The reason is that in the past, languages such as C and C++ were viewed as generic abstractions that could be read by a compiler, and many of them are still views that way. The language is a completely separate entity from the utilities that comprise a given tool chain. Hence, resources like exist.

You may not like this, but that's the way it is. You view "C++" as a system of writing code, and then linking it and compiling it. Others don't, so of they write a book about "C++" it's only going to contain the language, because that's all it is.

gee I dunno, maybe use CMake you absolute retard?

[spoiler]There was a dev version made to work with c++, the .so I was trying to use wasn't made to be used with code, I'm fucking retarded[/spoiler]

why didn't spoiler work?

Some boards like /toy/ don't have spoiler because you're not supposed to spoil anything if you stay on-topic.

I had the same issues years ago in uni. It helped me, and I am not saying this is a cure for anyone or everyone, to build super small from the ground up with bare basic tool chains. When I say basic I mean like less than a dozen LoC with a functionality you can easily append to. Use emacs or some other totally hands on text editor that will require you to dig into what is being done where and easily allow you to extend what you are doing if you feel like you grok it.

Unironically I still use emacs on Windows machines at work now because I doubt I would have ever understood wtf I was learning in uni if I only had visual studio and npp.

is there any good guide on how to do it?

bump

depends on the IDE, but I've never needed anything more than make, clang/gcc/whatever compiler, a text editor (I either use sublime or vim, depends on mood), and gdb
IDEs seem to obscure everything behind menus and other garbage, as well as give you a bunch of useless options, and make adding simple things like libraries a pain.

but I wouldn't even know where to start other than opening vim
like what after that? I'm pretty sure there's more to a project than the .cpp file

Look up how to use a makefile, look up compiler flags and what they do, look at simple projects and the way they layout their files in the directory. Most of programming is just having basic intuition to figure out a problem. This shit IS esoteric, so dont get disgruntled if it doesn't work out right the first time.

You also want to know about gcc, header files and make files.

bump

You're on Jow Forums, what the fuck would there be to spoil?

Also lurk for at least 3 years before posting

don't use opengl, it's hard. use sdl or sfml (both have tutorials for setting up with cmake) because they are much easier to understand
also don't use an ide, use a text editor and cmake then once you're comfortable use an ide this way you'll understand more features

also use c instead

can you even make games with C? because that's what I want to do

based not underage

make is easy to understand and even easier to use
i agree, cmake is shit. just try to learn how to write a good makefile

For libfoo.so add -lfoo to your gcc command in your makefile
retard

Rollercoaster Tycoon was programmed entirely in assembly (with some C to handle the graphical display)

what about 3D stuff?
also I feel like I'm too stupid for Cpp
isn't C much worse?

>3D stuff
Of course, Doom and many of the early 3D games were programmed in C. You'd either need to use an existing engine or become extremely familar with linear algebra and vector mathematics.

>too stupid for Cpp
>isn't C much worse?
On the contrary, C is much simpler in that it has way fewer "gotcha"s. Since theres less built-in functionality, it's harder to run into complex bugs and issues like you can in C++.

The flipside is that you'll need to pay more attention to general programming principles and memory management when using C, which is difficult if you've never programmed before but beneficial literally everywhere since it'll make you a more efficient programmer.

On the whole, C++ is a much worse choice to learn if you're just starting to learn programming from scratch, since it has so much complex shit that even experts agree really shouldn't be there.

thanks, do you have any particular tutorials, guides or books on how to start from scratch? without an IDE and such?

I don't but i'll give you a hint on what to google:

- Use linux if you can. Everything about handling libraries and compilation on windows is a fucking nightmare
- Use a text editor of your choice, many here like vim/emacs but there's nothing wrong with something like atom or sublimetext
- Use gcc to compile the source files you create into an executable. You can read its manpage get a idea of how to use the command. (make + makefiles will allow for more complex compilation, which will make things easier if you have multiple source files and other libraries to link)

That's all you need to develop C and C++ really. Dont hesitate to google recommended ways of structuring your project (file hierarchy and include paths) if you feel like you're getting lost