L O L

>"Touting itself as the provider of the iCloud service (when, in fact, Apple was merely reselling cloud storage space on cloud facilities of other entities) allowed Apple not only to obtain paid subscriptions of class members who subscribed to iCloud believing that their cloud storage was being provided by Apple, but also allowed Apple to charge a premium for its iCloud service because subscribers placed a value on having the 'Apple' brand as the provider of the storage service for their most sensitive data," the complaint says.
archive.fo/Dz3ma

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-163524.png (1080x2160, 534K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2019/08/14/apple_cloud_confusing/
eff.org/issues/resources-patent-troll-victims
theregister.co.uk/2011/09/02/icloud_runs_on_microsoft_azure_and_amazon/
apple.com/business/docs/site/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf
youtu.be/7ROQ0KK-_Tg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

iToddlers BTFO

Attached: it.gif (500x491, 376K)

BASED

b

Literal proof that applefags don't give a shit about quality and are just paying for the brand name.

Should have been obvious since people were willing to pay $1000 for a Apple branded stand.

B&R

Proof positive that mentally ill trannies will buy into fucking anything.

anyone in the united states can bring a lawsuit against anyone. I have decided to sue op for being a cockbreathing video game-playing faggot, guess he's a cockbreathing video game-playing faggot now

Nobody would front the cost of suit if they know they wont AT LEAST get their money back.

>theregister.co.uk/2019/08/14/apple_cloud_confusing/
>"the company acknowledges in its iOS Security Guide that it stores encrypted file chunks on both Apple and third-party storage services like AWS and Google Cloud."
Kind of confused how there can be an actual case when Apple has publicly acknowledged they do this for years. Weird how android users (foreigners) can't read English very well

I won't pretend to have read the complaint (I haven't) but no firm will spend the money just getting things ready to draft a complaint if they know they have a shit chance of getting some money out of this.
tl;dr - people smarter than both of us thought they have a case and filed it. US Courts can and will sanction firms with either suspension or a file (or both) if they are found to have filed frivolous bullshit

>nobody:
>absolutely no one:
>not even a soul:
>user: I HATE VIDYA

What a stupid lawsuit
The point of iCloud is that it works well with all your Apple devices, it's not about selling you cloud storage space like some barely-functioning abortion such as Dropbox and Google Drive
Who cares where it's hosted, that's not the point

>but no firm will spend the money just getting things ready to draft a complaint if they know they have a shit chance of getting some money out of this.
it happens plenty of times, even the EFF acknowledges this: eff.org/issues/resources-patent-troll-victims

Additionally, the premise of this lawsuit is shaky at best. On lines 15 and 16 of page 1 the complaint reads:
>" Unbeknownst to Plaintiffs and the putative class members, instead of storing class members’ data on Apple cloud servers and facilities, Apple actually stored users’ data on cloud facilities owned and operated by other entities, like Amazon, Microsoft or Google—all undisclosed to these class members who paid and entrusted Apple to store their data."

Apple has publicized this information and acceptance of this is also included in a copy of the ToS which endusers must agree to before using any Apple service.

Finally, another central point of this lawsuit asserts that Apple is not storing the data sent to them as stated within the ToS. However, the following is stated on Amazon AWS:

>"As a customer, you maintain ownership of your content, and you select which AWS services can process, store, and host your content. We do not access or use your content for any purpose without your consent. We never use customer content or derive information from it for marketing or advertising."

In legal terms, Apple is still the entity in "possession" (legally) of this data despite it being on another company's server. It's really clear that nobody here has any experience with contract law: embarrassing

Attached: the-real-itoddler.jpg (1920x1080, 102K)

But this is not patent litigation though?
>the rest
I am not even going to -again- pretend to be a knower because this is not my field of law, but in re: TOS, it's what IIRC is called a "shrinkwrap contract" and, depending on the circumstances, is not 100% enforceable, i.e. just because you clicked accept doesn't mean you're totally bound to it with no recourse. Surely, you know of this most basic concept in CL.

He's making a point about frivolous lawsuits you dunce. They exist and happens all the time, lawyers aren't a superior type of human being they do stupid shit. Rather, do it all the time.

>because subscribers placed a value on having the 'Apple' brand as the provider of the storage service for their most sensitive data

Why exactly would Apples name carry a premium value in terms of being attached to a cloud service? Nothing about their hardware history makes me feel safer having them run a data center, if anything it makes me feel less safe. They'd probably continue using a shitty hard drive brand with insane failure rates just like they did with their keyboards.

>Zero mention of games
>Start screaming about it for no reason

Jow Forums is fucking obsessed.

sir please delete at once

Ok OP, if Apple is just a "reseller", I assume that if I purchase for example Azure Storage it works just iCloud has been doing: syncing my files, photos, etc seamlessly between my devices?

Absofuckinglutely based.

Yeah I think that they will lose the lawsuit or only get a small settlement
That doesn't mean it's a dumb lawsuit... this is a case of some lawyers saying "I wonder ow much we can get out of this 800Biliion+ dollar company?".
Finding little lawsuits against apple, google, Microsoft, amazon, etc. is incredibly lucrative because they have so much money.

It makes you feel less safe
but you are not an iToddler

Go back to Twitter you cancerous faggot.

delet

>Apple replaces Monsanto as most evil company in the world.

Attached: 1458950756128.jpg (594x334, 48K)

Haha get fucked crApplel niggerfaggots
Baste redpild not crange

B

did they really think that a hardware company that can't into servers was hosting anything?

user are you retarded?

Pretty sure they pay because it's integrated with their iPhones

b

>people are this stupid

>reselling
How is this bad actually? If you don't like it then don't buy it

>Acknowledging Apple's claim in its iOS Security Guide that the company alone holds the encryption keys for customer data stored with other cloud providers, the complaint insists that Apple's justification for its behavior doesn't legitimize it.
I fail to see what the damages are.

it's pretty bad when consumers were told it was an apple service, not a resold service from other tech giants. yet another fine example of apple completely shitting on the law and consumer rights.

It is an Apple service though, aws storage by itself is not analogous in function to iCloud services. Do you not understand what iCloud services entail?

> be apple user
> doesn't want anything to do with amazon or google
> pays a premium to use icloud
> icloud turns out to be just a front end for amazon, google or whoever else
> nobody knows who else had access to this data outside of apple or if it was even secured
> itoddlers will defend this even though they're being raped in the ass and sold a totally different product they could get cheaper elsewhere
lel
>>Do you not understand what iCloud services entail?
do you know what compulsive lying means?

>aws, azure, gcloud

these are all pretty good cloud storage providers, though. most consumers will be bottlenecked by their device or own connection anyway, the value of the cloud "service" for most people comes from the software and its integration capabilities

If you think that some provider is better as far as security or privacy goes and think one of these companies is better than the others, I just don't care anymore. At this point I upload things to the internet with the assumption that they will probably be seen by someone else at some point

Based newfag

Attached: laughing_doggo.jpg (640x640, 78K)

how is this news? this has been known since icloud was in fucking beta, just don't use it
theregister.co.uk/2011/09/02/icloud_runs_on_microsoft_azure_and_amazon/

you know I feel like I should be surprised and shocked but it's just so tiresome at this point

This is the bottled water scam in a nutshell
People are willing to pay for a supposed quality improvement that doesn't exist

apple NEVER disclosed this instead they offered icloud as their own safe cloud enviroment

Apple is on a roll. Every month now there's some new controversy exposing their scummy business practices.

the issue is that many apple fags buy apple because they honestly believe the service is premium and different, so now knowing some of their stuff is not stored on true apple servers is literally heartbreaking to them
stupid? ofc, but legit heartbreaking
their perceived benefit for buying extra had been demonstrated snakeoil

It's explained here from services used to private keys and how they're exchanged.
They even say which services do not do end-to-end encryption.

apple.com/business/docs/site/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

You can join the two brainlets in their class action.

BaSeD

Remember when they ignored Apple's shitty service when The Fappening happened and other leaks that followed and decided to focus on the anonymous hacker known as 'Jow Forums'.

The fappening was a result of phishing, tech illiterate

It was obvious, they are doing the same shit now with the Applel Card.

It was literally a faggot calling support and asking for a password reset, it's also done sometimes to remove iCloud locks on stolen toys. Cope harder.

The court documents from when the perpetrator behind the fappening was tried prove that it was a result of phishing. I highly recommend that you learn English and how to read, both of which are quite important skills.

FUCKING BASED

lmao, funny post, upvoted and retwitted :]

cope

cope harder iToddler.

b

>itoddlers will defend this
Surely, if there's anyone around here who deserves that epithet, it's the one who cares what brand owns the physical servers.

it only takes fucking common sense to realize putting your data in someone else's hands is a risk, it's your own fault if you went ahead and gave it away

Isn't everything Amazon and Cloudflare? I assumed Google relied heavily on Amazon too.

is her show any good?

I was pretty sure Apple used Akamai. Had so for years.
In fact, if you checked on their DLC it was all from Akamai.
Their "cloud" technology seems sounder that Amazon etc. When was the last disaster one of theirs?

BASED

does anyone have the YT vid link from the guy reviewing the trashcan-mac and gushing over the foam?

sir pls do the needful and delete this

It's a hand me down because Satanichia-sama refuses to support irresponsible and unsustainable consumerism. Read the manga.

> be retard itoddler
> pay premium for a service they thought was under complete control of apple
> totally not apple's fault for lying to the customer
> customer could have got their own cloud storage solution, and cheaper
> retarded itoddlers are retarded, but they don't want to use amazon or google's service. they were supposedly paying for apple's service.
you're the kind of stupid cunt that would walk into a store, ask for a product, be sold something completely different yet functions the same, but are charged substantially more for it. you would hand over the cash and you wouldn't even complain. this is how apple is making billions.. because stupid fucking retards like you exist and are shitting up planet earth with their single digit IQ scores.

Attached: itoddersbtfo.jpg (1920x1080, 370K)

>When was the last disaster one of theirs?
>he doesn't know about all the aws bitbucket breaches that were made possible by amazon's ultra fucking retarded account settings that seems to confuse even the least retarded IT staff of the IT world
>be amazon
>take no responsibility for such a poorly designed system
>blames the end users instead for endless data breaches
>does nothing to fix the problem
how do you retards even function? imagine trying to make excuses for a company that's worse than apple?
LMAO
M
A
O

i fucking found it!
youtu.be/7ROQ0KK-_Tg
this Jow Forums is the typical applefag

this is literally tech "enthusiasts" in general

The reason Dropbox and Google Drive are barely functioning abortions on IOS is because IOS is a barely functioning operation system, and apple locked away features from the cheaper alternatives. Mega, Google Drive, and Dropbox are better, cheaper solutions on anything other than a payphone

>Safe cloud environment
This is why I know what Jennifer Lawrence's pussy looks like

I'm no apple fan but suing them for using AWS is like suing them for not manufacturing their own hard drives but rather buying from a supplier. They control the contents of their cloud buckets, what's the big deal besides boomers after a buck

>pay premium for a service they thought was under complete control of apple
Why would anyone think that? Any large company uses suppliers for all sorts of things. Did they think Apple fabbed their SoCs inhouse too? Did they believe that Apple not only ran iCloud inhouse, but also on servers built from components manufactured inside Apple?
>totally not apple's fault for lying to the customer
When did they ever tell anyone that iCloud is run completely inhouse?
>customer could have got their own cloud storage solution, and cheaper
No they couldn't. The point about iCloud is *obviously* that it integrates directly with iOS and other Apple software, unlike other cloud storage solutions.
>retarded itoddlers are retarded, but they don't want to use amazon or google's service
Why would anyone assume iToddlers care about Apple's cloud suppliers any more than they care about their hardware suppliers like TSMC and Foxconn?
>also implying that i buy apple products
The last Apple product I used was a Macintosh SE.

youtube comment section-tier post

cope with what?

cringe

Attached: shoot satania.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

ITT cope

well it wasnt really a hacking of any sort now was it
not saying that icloud before the 2 step wasnt hackable but social engineering should not be considered hacking

>Did they think Apple fabbed their SoCs inhouse too? Did they believe that Apple not only ran iCloud inhouse, but also on servers built from components manufactured inside Apple?
Of course they do lmao
Why do you think we call them retards?

seethe

they never claimed it was their shit

it's like sueing if it's seagate hdds not WD

>they charged a premium and gave us low tier drives

seethe and sneed

oh I think he meant Dropbox and Google Drive are barely functioning abortions PERIOD. I can attest to this with Dropbox, as I've used their service for over 10 years and watched their product gradually decline in both quality and functionality--not to mention the fact that their storage has absolutely no ability to scale whatsoever.

They just recently increased everyone's storage to 2TB in exchange for a $2/mo price hike. I've never used more than a terabyte, but if I want to connect a new device I have no choice but to use an old version of their software because all newer versions are broken and a) either wait literally 7 days for the device to sync or b) keep my files in the cloud (aka trust Dropbox. nothx). In other words, they attempted to justify a price hike knowing full well that their service does not work for individual users at scale.

I really want as much competition as possible, but the entire cloud storage industry looks like a podrace to the bottom. Apple's a shit company with a shit ethos, shit products and shit leadership, but if they're able to leverage these services such that the end user never has to experience how shitty they truly are...well, that's value added.

Attached: community_image_1424926133.jpg (500x319, 35K)

Sure, but would you argue that their case when they sue Apple for that is just as legitimate? In this particular case, it's their fault for being retards, not Apple's fault.

What does it fucking matter?
Fuck, most of your ISPs are actually just buying service off other providers.
This shit is happening ALL THE TIME at ALL LEVELS of Internet shit.
It's not actually a problem. It's just the way the Internet works.
Fucking deal with it.

>called a "shrinkwrap contract" and, depending on the circumstances, is not 100% enforceable

>>These decisions are split on the question of consent, with the former holding that only objective manifestation of consent is required while the latter require at least the possibility of subjective consent. In particular, the Netscape contract was rejected because it lacked an express indication of consent (no "I agree" button) and because the contract was not presented directly to the user (users were required to click on a link to access the terms). However, the court in this case did make it clear that "Reasonably conspicuous notice of the existence of contract terms and unambiguous manifestation of assent to those terms by consumers are essential if electronic bargaining is to have integrity and credibility." Specht, 306 F.3d 17.

Apple's T&Cs are visible, readable and accepted by the user up front before any data is moved anywhere, and the customer can press the "decline" button if they don't accept the terms. The "shrink wrap" concept gets shaky in contract law when the user tacitly "accepts" the contract by simply opening a package for a product, or by using said product.

>let me sue Mercedes-Benz because the buttons on the dash were made by a tier 1 supplier and not Daimler itself

Retarded

But those are Apple approved Azure, AWS and google cloud instances.