Redpill me on pic related

Redpill me on pic related

Attached: Opus_logo2.svg.png (3600x2045, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ#How_do_I_use_44.1_kHz_or_some_other_sampling_rate_not_directly_supported_by_Opus.3F
wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ#But_won.27t_the_resampler_hurt_the_quality.3F_Isn.27t_it_better_to_use_44.1_kHz_directly.3F
listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's very good.

The best free codec. Miles ahead of Vorbis.

Attached: audio codec bitrate.png (933x763, 59K)

prove it

The pic is for an older version. Current Opus is even better.
DYOR.

Pure trash made for webm that resamples everything to 48kHz

It's free and good. If you have watched Youtube recently you have likely used Opus.

That graph literally proves it.

nice try, glowie

I dare you to reliably tell apart a 96kHz WAV and a 48kHz opus at 128kbps converted back to 96kHz WAV, autismo.

I meant it transcodes 44.1kHz FLAC to 48kHz

it's not optimal, but still not a huge problem with a good resampler

>miles
you did this on purpose, didn't you?

Fakes quality by upsampling 44.1 khz to 48 thus adding a lot of noise and artifacts. This is why all opus files sound like with a metallic echo. That 44.1 to 48 kills everything. Also zero hardware support because it sucks. And most OS don't support it natively as other codecs.

Use AAC with iTunes codec. Best lossy format.

yh what's the point of the upsampling anyway? still haven't found answers for this

A few excerpts from the Opus FAQ
>Note that it's generally preferable for a decoder to output at 48kHz, even when you know the original input was 44.1kHz. This is not only because you can skip resampling, but also because many cheaper audio interfaces have poor quality output for 44.1kHz.
>The quality degradation caused by any reasonable resampler (SoX, libspeexdsp, libsamplerate, ...) is far less than the distortion caused by the best lossy codec at its highest bitrate. If you can't tolerate the quality degradation caused by a good 44.1 48 kHz resampler, then you shouldn't be using a lossy codec in the first place. Similarly, the extra CPU spent in the resampler is small compared to the rest of the codec. Not only that, but many soundcards only support 48 kHz on playback, so players can directly play the output rather than resample it to 48 kHz (e.g. for a 44.1 kHz MP3). So effectively, Opus is only shifting the burden of resampling from the decoder side to the encoder side.
>One advantage of supporting only one internal rate is that it makes it possible for Opus to support many features, including efficient speech compression (through SILK) and real-time applications. It also means all the quality tuning effort can be spent on a single configuration, which helps bring even better quality.
wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ#How_do_I_use_44.1_kHz_or_some_other_sampling_rate_not_directly_supported_by_Opus.3F
wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ#But_won.27t_the_resampler_hurt_the_quality.3F_Isn.27t_it_better_to_use_44.1_kHz_directly.3F

kek

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-191650_Bromite.png (1440x2960, 185K)

>Fakes quality by upsampling 44.1 khz to 48 thus adding a lot of noise and artifacts. This is why all opus files sound like with a metallic echo. That 44.1 to 48 kills everything.
try non-shit resamplers
>Also zero hardware support because it sucks
it's 2019, even a low end phone CPUs is powerful enough to decode opus natively without needing too much power. threre's no pressure to implement hardware decoders because of this
>And most OS don't support it natively as other codecs.
literally every somewhat recent OS supports it. I hope you weren't expecting a codec first released in 2012 to play on your iphone 3g

you're probably listening to opus audio for several hours each day, the entire streaming meme industry is either already using it or moving towards it
you're delusional if you can't notice it

Attached: yt stats.png (499x150, 18K)

gtfo phoneposter

Best lossy codec out there

It's pretty good 2bh.

I still feel like AAC is the more thoroughly tested codec, so it might be better for music, if you want to stay on the safe side.

For speech and low bitrates, though? Opus is far above everything else.

Never tried aac, ffmpeg can't encode it unfortunately

i encoded most of my FLAC (≈800GB of music) to opus, it's just good enough for me

based

explain

download ffmpeg, convert flacs to various lossy formats and see for yourself.

yes it can but you should use opus regardless.
/thread
use opus-tools for best results.

>

>This is why all opus files sound like with a metallic echo.
Please upload an example (with the original source). I thought it would be an issue, but listening tests and my own experience suggest otherwise.

I use foobar in wine because their presets are great (yeah I'm a lazy nigger)

Use Opus for lossy and FLAC for lossless.
Thank you, and have a good night.

If you do use AAC, you should use a good encoder, though, because some are crap. I think Apple/iTunes is the best one. You can use it with Foobar2000 without installing iTunes.

Hurr Global warming chinese hoax crooked hillary MAAAY-BELL, DID YOU FORGET TO SLOP THE HAWGS? hurr durr Make america great again audio codec muh pickup.
>Redpill enough for you, fucktard?

You would recommend opus at which bitrate (only music, mostly edm/gabber/blackmetal/classical)?

All lossy codecs sound identical to the source after ~250kb/s, and storage is cheap. Whether any slight difference is good or bad all comes down to personal preference. If you're gonna sit in some sound-proof box with acoustics perfectly adjusted for the particular song your listening to, you should just KYS anyway.

I'm European so your post is irrelevant to me, but thanks user

>All lossy codecs sound identical to the source after ~250kb/s
Yeah, no shit genius. But using 250kbps is fucking retarded.
With Opus you can get pretty much transparent audio at 100kbps.

>imagine using proprietary software

You should know redpill is a term coined by ignorant neofascist hillbillies who like to imply their indrocrination has caused them to become enlightened to the greater truth by taking the "redpill".

cringe and bluepilled

based

Recently converted all my music from FLAC (~500 GB) to Opus (~65 GB) and I can't tell the difference, so it works great for me

Or you know from the matrix...

>Redpill me on pic related
Vorbis is just as good at opus at sane kbps. No reason to reencode if you already encoded to Vorbis. Same goes for AAC. MP3 is debatable but probably still not worth the effort.

Only use opus if you haven't already encoded to something else

>Vorbis is just as good
it just isn't

This.

I do not have unlimited storage on my phone.

There is a reason the propaganda image cuts out at 128kbps

Opus is only superior at low kbps

I have shit tons of storage for my archives. I don't like listening to music on my phone, it sounds shitty.

You literally don't need more than 128kbps, unless you're using an inferior codec.

...and opus and vorbis are equal at 128kbps. It's literally in the graph

See

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

Attached: scores_by_tracks_en.png (720x450, 18K)

human ear cannot hear above adlib synth

You forgot to upload the graph user