Is it worth buying raspberry PI?

Is it worth buying raspberry PI?
What are you using it for g?

Attached: WetPi.jpg (700x812, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xc_XRyH48
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Worth it for what? It's cheap and provides a bit of entertainment. If you want to build something useful you'll end up buying so much extra crap that you end up paying more for a shitty rigged together pile of junk than a professionally assembled product.

IDK why I bought one. Its a 4GB 4 but I still haven't opened it. Can I get some ideas on what to do with it?

Door bell with cam that plays different mp3s based on image recognition

Actually kinda cool. Dont really want to drill a hole through my wall though

I used it to safely encrypt my seedphrase for my cryptos. Haven't found much else use of it

Unless you KNOW you need one for a project, you don't need one.

Use it as a mediacenter / retro gaymen console for My kids. THE fucking Love it and can use ut to watch YouTube and play games. It's their favorit thing and i like it too because it keeps Them buissy and i can have some me time while they play mario

Attached: giovanni_falcone.jpg (1772x1395, 1.55M)

Messages like this should be purged

K Keep me posted

Gay.

Already done so much smart wiring and cable laying Im just burned out from it.

>you'll end up buying so much extra crap
What do you mean? Most people use the Pi headlessly so you only need a power supply.

I just use mine as pc with linux

I use one as seedbox/media player.
I want to make one into a meteorological data logging thing.

Thats bullshit, these things are fun to play around with.

IP cam. Wake it only when necessary to save power. Use your doorbell as trigger.

Literally everything I wanted to make required sensors, transformers, shields, cables, transistors and whatnot. It adds up fast, especially when you want to make something functional instead of connecting a garbage $.20 moisture sensor from ali.

whats it like programming the 20 or so io pin things it has?

And if they knock?

IDK I tossed it in the drawer and got a bunch of Arduinos for mini-projects instead. Can you even remove the bootloader from RPI? Wakeup times >0.5s are inexcusable.

I'd probably use a vibration or proximity sensor. Or a DON'T FUCKING KNOCK sign.

Gonna get it and most likely make a media server or emulation machine. Depends on if I can find a nice shell and not just another console shell.

WPA2 dictionary cracker (wifite) so I can snob my neighbors WiFi everytime I use the internet for questionable stuff.

look man, it's fine, but stop searching up videos on tile cleaning.

I just searched for that stuff on YouTube and I think I've discovered a new fetish, thanks user

Attached: 1511070424427.png (493x402, 5K)

seedbox
web server
media player

youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xc_XRyH48

I use mine as a web server and (((discord))) bot

>got a bunch of Arduinos for mini-projects instead
I ended up liking using Arduinos and SMT32s WAY more then rpis for things. I found it way more straight forward and easier to code for since I'm not dealing with a big hefty environment, just programing on metal.

>pedo uses pi to distract children in order to take creepshots
K, I understand now.

They suck, they are like man childs

I just upgraded to the pi 5, it's got 8 gb of ram and 256gb of storage and can handle 2 or more browser tabs open

Best yet, it was free

Attached: 1565899210542602746078.jpg (4128x2322, 2.3M)

Everyone that has kids is a pedo
I'm sorry your uncle touched your no-no places

check out the esp8266

Check out s11e5

>Can't play 10-bit video
>Can't emulate N64
>Requires an SD card to boot
>Slow as fuck USB
>Overheats without cooling
>Needs a dedicated charger to draw enough power to function normally
>RGB/VGA output via the GPIO is janky as fuck and only functions at integer divisors of 19.2 mHz, which makes it impossible to emulate old consoles at 240p on a CRT
It's shit.

Attached: 1563834719455.jpg (732x674, 101K)

I did pick up 2 of them with the idea of making a Hayes command set (The defacto-standard protocol for sending commands to phone modems) to Wifi adapter, so any old computer that can do Hayes could get a internet connection over Wifi. Was going to do it for a old MAC, Atari ST, and 486 computers I've got laying around for fun.
Been busy with other shit and haven't really played much with the esp8266s yet. I hear that they're easy to get the Wifi going but the only docs I've seen look a bit messy to get it going. Know of any good resources worth checking out?

>MUH VIDEOGAMES
Dude, wrong tool for the job you retard.

And how else do you suggest getting 240p video on a CRT in 2019?

>to save power
It's already a low power device though

Literally any videocard with S-video/composite/component output. They can be had on ebay for like $10. Just slam that in to a cheap $20 sandy bridge PC and you now have a emulation box that goes all the way up to PS2 games if you pair it with an i5.
Older radeon cards can also use modded drivers to operate at 15hz for arcade monitor's EGA connectors as well.

At that point it'd be cheaper, easier, and safer to just use a laptop with a dedicated AMD GPU and VGA output.
Why the fuck would I want a third gaming PC just for a CRT?

>Why the fuck would I want a third gaming PC just for a CRT?
What does it matter to me how many PCs you have?
You asked and you got an answer you stupid fuck.

Hey retard, look at the size of a pi, and then look at the size of a desktop PC
"Use the right tools for the job" moron.

>"WAAA, this device thats meant to be a high end micro controller is not play video games to my standards"
>Refuses to use hardware that would do exactly what is being asked to be done.

It's a decent paperweight

What is? The pi is crap for small projects due to its power draw. The IP cam needs all the power saving it can get regardless of its draw.

>What is? The pi is crap for small projects due to its power draw.
Not all small projects run on batteries. The Pi can run fine on PoE.

I use mine as a reverse proxy/HTTP server, set up Apache so if request to plex.mydoma.in it gets sent to my actual server's plex port, and if I go to wiki.mydoma.in it goes to my dokuwiki install and a buncha other things, even though they're the same physical ip on the domain side

Pihole and crypto trading bot. Looking to build a lightning network node with the pi 4.

Is there a expansion board for the r pi 4 that supports rgb out at 15 khz? I might just go the fpga route instead. Also has there been any progress on a low latency kernel for emulation? Android still has assloads of input latency.

>not "the soggy pi"
one job

If you aren't willing to buy used hardware or your project has low power requirements (and in that particular case, you'll be getting an older Pi, since a Pi 4 has fairly high draw requirements compared to what most 5v supplies can provide), sure.
You better have some kind of project in mind before you get one.

An Arduino may or may not be a better option depending on what you want to do. The Pi is massively over-specced for a lot of tasks like that, and has its own share of complications since it needs a full OS and an SD card and the lot.

For CGA 15Khz you're best off with using either pic related or an FPGA.
I use to operate an arcade and used a few of these boards, they're finicky and weird to set up but once you dial them in they're pretty fucking awesome. Was not able to measure any additional latency from them and even used one on a DDR cabinet and the regulars could not tell the difference.
To use this with a rpi though would still require a VGA HAT on the pi it self.

Attached: 51YIFL0B9WL.jpg (500x375, 55K)

Thanks user. What are they called or is filename the model?

GBS-8220
You can buy them all over ebay, amazon, aliexpress, etc. They're dirt cheap too, cheapest listing I've seen was only $15, but go for $25 at most.
Was planning on stocking up on 3-4 more since they can convert bidirectionally from any connector to any connector.
VGA->Component
Arcade CGA->VGA
Sync on Green VGA->Traditional VGA (Useful for PS2 Linux since the PS2 can only do Sync on Green over VGA which not all monitors support, also for Amega PCs)
Etc, etc.

I guess one extra thing of note, the chip can get pretty fucking hot. I pulled off the heat sync that came with it and slapped on a larger one that was pulled from the north bridge of an old P4 PC, made the 1.0 version of it more reliable. I'm 2 reversions behind so I'm not sure if the 3.0 reversion gets as hot.

I've got one that I've mostly fucked around with, used as a Linux pc for travel, an emulation box, and then a pi hole but it's always been a hassle to use. I'll just go with more dedicated hardware rather than wonder if it's gonna work on this tiny-ass circuit board

Awesome I will check it out.

does WoL work on rpi4?

>Everyone that has kids is a pedo
This but unironically. Reminder that the word "pedophile" literally means "child lover," and even though it is commonly conflated with rapists and molesters, it does not carry that meaning. I would assume that if you have children, you love them, otherwise you're some kind of masochist, child abuser or dumb, antisocial fuck who can't into birth control.

Can you please leave Jow Forums? Because you suck the energy out of the whole board with only this one post.

Jesus fucking Christ. If you water-cool your RaspberryPi, well, you're probably a pretty cool dude.

>>Can't play 10-bit video
is this true for both h264 and h265 at 720p?

Attached: 1550700235532.png (1920x1080, 1.07M)

I use 24,000 of them at my day job.

Imagine water cooling your raspberry pi lmao

>i interpret all modern words based on their latin roots only

Sounds like you've got autism, pedo

Damn straight, OP is probably one of the most baller ass Bros I've ever witnessed on Jow Forums. Behold, what an awesome dude

>>Can't emulate N64
It can and does.

RecalBox

is this an advert?

going to be building digital synthesizers, possibly selling limited runs of them. going to be a long time but yeah
you kind of have to know what you wanna do with it before you buy it otherwise its not super worth it
its fun and popular to throw one in an old game console shell like a gba or psp or whatever but unless youre just autistically into the idea of making that yourself its probably a better use of your time to just buy an 8bitdo controller and pair it with your droid phone
pi-holes can be useful i guess

Is that a Clevo? Looks very familiar.

>not cooling it with cream

>watercooling
>on ARM

I use a Pi 3b to record a 24/7 stream from a Wyze cam flashed with custom firmware I have set up recording the front of my house. Works great. With a 2TB drive I can record nearly a year of somewhat 24/7 HD quality footage. I hated having to put a cam up, but between porch pirates, garbage dumpers, and car thieves, it was a must.

Between the PI, 2TB drive, and Wyze cam, it cost me about $70.

>What are you using it for
Pi Hole and WPA2/3 key cracking.

You can send it to me

Crack a PS3 then dumb shit.

just double side duct tape it you double nigger

libreboot

Attached: tuXperalt.jpg (1024x768, 83K)

when they had intel chips yes, rather buy second hand lap though

A few years my sister (for no reason whatsoever) sent me the newly released model 3b. I set it up as a PirateBox, put it on the desk and it's been running there ever since. Aside from forcing a few friends over the years, I am the only one to have consistently logged into the thing. The following year she sent me an RTL-SDR v3 and I've been considering combining them into something.

>Requires an SD card to boot
false