Redpill me on Matte vs Glossy displays...

Redpill me on Matte vs Glossy displays. I personally feel like I've gone mad seeing how the majority of people on PC's actually prefer Matte. Semi-gloss (also called low-haze) finish should be the absolute standard type of screen finish for all monitors and TV's (actually it has become standard for TV's for like 5+ years now).

Semi-gloss does a surprisingly good job cutting down reflections compared to full gloss and it still retains a grain free, sharp, vibrant, and more contrasty image. Matte finishes (at least the hard and moderate coatings in my experience) do an even better job at handling reflections, but they do so at the cost of a noticeable loss in image quality and clarity. I know there are lighter coatings of Matte out there but I have yet to see them in person and have read that they still have a little graininess and slight lack of vibrancy. I have always been a gloss and semi-gloss only person, and in 2019 it is becoming impossible to get 2K and 4K monitors that way unless you opt for 4K TV's.

Attached: IMG_3778.jpg (400x324, 38K)

Yes

You can use a glossy screen at work on a black terminal as a mirror to see things behind you

Glossy allows you to hide the contents of your screen from everyone including yourself

That's all matteniggers know how to say "HUR MIRROR!" There's overly bright fluorescent office spaces where disgusting blurry matte monitors fit right in, and there's home use where you can control monitor placement and to a large degree control light sources so you can enjoy superior image quality with semi-gloss. TV's nearly exclusively use a semi-gloss finish too and they work well enough to be used in a moderately lit living room given that they have decent screen brightness.

glossy for monitors
matte for laptops

Chill out sped i wasnt kidding i actually use my monitors to see if my boss is comming up behind me when slacking off. Its a feature

This.

Attached: mpv-shot0015.jpg (1920x1080, 353K)

Yeah I agree, and it's sad that the reality is nearly the opposite of that. You cannot find any glossy/semi-gloss monitors but nearly all laptops today are glossy, you know, the portable device being used on planes, in offices, coffee shops, airports, etc, all places with plenty of uncontrollable bright light sources slapping the screen from all directions.

I like sunlight so I can't use gloss. The reflections are such a huge disadvantage.

get a load of Birdman over here

The matter the better.
You don't actually want to see individual pixels.
A very matte screen looks almost organic, very nice indeed.

Glossy only exists because it looks more shiny in the shop.
They also crank up saturation to the max in shops for the "wow factor".

Attached: paint.jpg (813x486, 50K)

Yeah the matte anti-glare film adds an "organic" look for sure, really brings an otherwise dull and blurry image to life.

Attached: 123456789.png (1279x650, 1.37M)

The seemingly low contract is because of the strong lighting.
It caused the camera to darken the image (to avoid over exposing) so you lose all the darker tones.

Doesn't look like that in real life and under normal lighting.
But more importantly it still looks 10 times better than the glossy mirror on the top right.

The cameras focus is directly on the reflection of the blinds and you can still blatantly see how disgusting that matte layer is right at the intersecting point. Matte never looks as good as gloss, it diffuses the light coming from inside the monitor itself and the surface creates subtle graininess and blurriness to an already duller image. Again, glossy's shortcomings can be controlled in multiple ways, with matte you're stuck with a worse image that you can't do anything about.

Apples and oranges.
If you can control the lighting on the glossy screen you can also control the lighting on a matte screen.

The point is any screen will look like shit with a bright light shining on it.
Sure a matte screen in a bright as fuck environment will look worse than a glossy screen in a perfectly dark room looked at by a black faced person wearing an all black outfit.
But put the screens in equal environments and the matte screen will always come out on top.

Jesus christ someone's upset about a recent purchase
>N-NO IT'S JUST BETTER BECAUSE I SAID IT IS U
There's a reason almost no monitors are made glossy, nobody fucking wants them and yes there's significant issues with glare and any sort of even slight smudge of spec of dust being obvious. My laptop's glossy screen was so obnoxious I paid to replace it with matte and haven't looked back

I've never seen Jow Forums dickride glossy finishes so hard and am convinced OP is samefagging after buying a monitor with a harsh antiglare finish and has to sperg here to calm himself down

So I'm not seeing a single factual argument or even anything that suggests the poster is somewhat informed regarding the glossy shills. The posts are literally just saying the picture is better and the problems don't matter, providing zero evidence for any of these claims

>it diffuses the light coming from inside the monitor itself and the surface creates subtle graininess and blurriness to an already duller image

I hve 1 matte 4K monitor and 2 glossy. I really have no clue what you're talking about, the matte one has no perceptible blur at all (in fact it's by far the sharpest looking monitor I have). The diffusion is no where near as intense as you claim, nor remotely close to that picture. It's just less vibrant than the glossy ones.

Sounds like another case of Jow Forums buying poorfag chinkshit and thinking that's an industry wide standard.

>There's a reason almost no monitors are made glossy
Because monitors are designed with brightly lit office environments in mind.
In a light controlled environment, glossy provides a better picture.

>I've never seen Jow Forums dickride glossy finishes so hard
Jow Forums is a bunch of retarded consumer whores. There's no best choice for a display for every use case. Screaming about matte or glossy being objectively superior is the behavior of a stupid child.

>I've never seen Jow Forums dickride glossy finishes so hard and am convinced OP is samefagging after buying a monitor with a harsh antiglare finish

I posted a similar thread like this once before at least 5 or 6 months ago. I don't come on Jow Forums much except exclusively for /pcbg/. I think people who love matte would be okay with semi-gloss for the most part, I'm just spreading the word because matte is really just plain obsolete for personal use displays.

>
>If you can control the lighting on the glossy screen you can also control the lighting on a matte screen.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying no matter where you put a matte monitor and no matter the lighting, the matte monitor is permanently tainted with a dull grainy screen.

>Light controlled
You'd see yourself under the light the monitor itself produces

Attached: mvg.png (931x928, 129K)

He's talking nonsense.
It doesn't diffuse the light coming from INSIDE the monitor.
It diffuses the light falling ONTO the monitor.

Ideally you'd want to eliminate the light falling onto the monitor, but that's impossible.
The next best thing is to diffuse it as much as possible, so you get a haze but not a sharp reflection.

I have full glossy, lowhaze, and matte monitors/tvs. You don't see your reflection when the monitor is producing light, it's the other way around. For example a bright white background on the screen is going to eliminate reflections better, a dark black background with barely any light being emitted from the monitor will make reflections more apparent and the screen turned completely off will show the clearest reflections.

>mfw I've got the literal opposite

Attached: just1266783_58fb915e0868a.jpg (456x320, 15K)

That picture is retarded.

>causing diffusion of light emitted from monitor.
That is what you WANT.
It means you get good viewing angles.
If every pixel only emitted its light straight out the screen (which thankfully even glossy screens don't do) you would only be able to see it when positioned exactly in front of it.

Why is it so difficult to make displays that don't reflect?

Very often parts of the screen is darker than other parts.
That's when you see your own face reflected in the darker bits.

>If every pixel only emitted its light straight out the screen you would only be able to see it when positioned exactly in front of it.

Are you for fucking real?

Attached: 1543978958645.png (428x467, 398K)

Only way to stop a photon is by absorbing it.
To absorb a photon the material has to be opaque.
But if a screen were opaque you wouldn't be able to see the image.

All you can do is scatter the incoming photons (=matte=good) or mirror them (=glossy=bad)

Matte is the industry standard for color accurate reference displays.

With a full glossy yes, semi-gloss cuts that in half if not more while still retaining good image quality.

>coping buyers remorse
enjoy your light flashing on your screen forcing you to constantly change the tilting

Try thinking about it.

Attached: 1331560818_752486.jpg (2500x2500, 490K)

I simply put my monitor perpendicular to my window and have my lamp offset behind my monitor, problem solved.

>matte monitor is permanently tainted with a dull grainy screen.

It really isn't.
What you experience as "dull" is caused by the external light and would otherwise cause reflections.
And if your screen is grainy maybe buy a non-shit brand that doesn't use some cheap garbage to make it matte?

My man, you're misunderstanding what it is that determines the viewing angles on a monitor. Viewing angles are not achieved by diffusion of emitted light by a transparent layer in the first place. If it was, you could slap such a layer on any old TFT display and get great viewing angles on it.

I had a quality LG IPS 24" monitor with a matte finish I sent back because of dead pixels, it was a while ago but from what I remember it must of had a lighter matte finish than average, the colors looked pretty good but anything like bright white or yellow had so much grain in the image that I couldn't unsee it, the only thing that'd help was to push the monitor farther away from me to the point where I could hardly read normal sized text. On top of that I had it next to an ancient HP 2009m with a glossy screen and the image quality in almost every aspect looked better on that.