/PPG/ PowerPC General - iToddler edition

Welcome to the PowerPC general! A space to discuss all things POWER ISA related.

SPARC, m68k, PA-RISC, ARM, MIPS, etc. are welcome too!

Reminder:
>>>/global/rules/10
>No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.

Evolution of PowerPC:
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Power_ISA

What's new on the Amigaverse?
acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards

Next-gen G4?
nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/

About Power9:
ibm.com/it-infrastructure/power/power9

Budget-friendly Talos Blackbird:
secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html

Literally when:
powerpc-notebook.org

Operating Systems for PowerPC:
bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php

Fixing Radeon Linux graphics on PowerPC:
forums.macrumors.com/threads/making-g3s-and-radeon-graphics-great-again.2191877/

Attached: icebook.jpg (2000x1333, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards
nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jesus I was willing to buy a power9 Talos Blackbird but it is way too expensive.

Yeah, same here. I will just stay with my Apple shitboxes.

Frankly, I think it should be Alternate ISA General. Few people have PPCs anymore.

>What's new on the Amigaverse?
>acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards
Is Amiga a worthwhile OS?

>Next-gen G4?
>nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/
What's the reasoning for just posting processors that we can buy? Can we actually put it in anything?

>muh outdated manchild toys

Attached: 1546823598284.webm (960x540, 2.16M)

>images that make /PPG/ seethe

Attached: perfperwatt.jpg (500x525, 35K)

I want to make the switch from messy x86, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm currently using GNU/Linux on an X60s with Libreboot, but with whatever i'd end up using, I'd like to use OpenBSD/NetBSD.

Should I just buy a Powerbook/iBook? Is PPC a meme at this point?
Should I just wait for EOMA68 and get an ARM computer card and laptop enclosure?

It is a meme, but the hardware itself is pretty nice, back when apple was form and function not form over function.

Most G4 Macs (the cheapest ppc consumer stuff) are handily beat by basically any snapdragon and can not run Youtube or ddr2 ram. Otherwise they are cheap as balls and the only practical alternative to x86 machines for desktop use, they also have heaps of professional abandonware for protools like purposes.

Attached: 583b9f88f0e229341980ac1f.jpg (1200x900, 136K)

A powerbook g4 is $20-60 max if you avoid the 17" model if you just want to test one

Yeah I miss the "good 'ol" days of apple. IMO the titanium ones are smexy af, though i thought i remember reading about build quality issues there. If I were to pick up a g4 mac I wouldn't be running os x. Either NetBSD or OpenBSD.

I see, I'll take a look at that. I prefer smaller laptops anyway, so avoiding that is fine. I read that there were some pretty notable build quality problems with those. Should I worry about that?
-
I'm guessing I'm probably going to end up waiting for EOMA68. It'll be pricey, but i've been loving the concept since the project first launched. Only things it's lacking are adequate storage, it could do with a bit more ram.

where is this video from and why is he crying?

Low effort webm

apple was always form over function you zoomer shit
they have never in their entire history given a shit about function

Attached: 1542495423626.jpg (809x2285, 549K)

The 12" powerbook is pretty nice and rather cheap, it's just that they usually pack under 1ghz g4's

Also post tibooks can't run macos9 without a bunch of hackery

Attached: ZLvHFgt.jpg (750x1000, 110K)

You managed to out hipster the think autists
good job

Also gonna replace the thermal paste/ possibly do some chassis mods to try to reduce thermal throttling. Good God these things get hot.

>Implying

Attached: downloadfile-45.jpg (1315x1339, 234K)

Also it ran AIX Unix, BSD, or NT4

Attached: p4040034_2.jpg (1600x1200, 238K)

That's really cool, but will you have trouble finding comparable ram for some thing that old? Or was this before Apple went full kike and made upgrading Apple hardware intentionally obtuse.

>Or was this before Apple went full kike and made upgrading Apple hardware intentionally obtuse.
this exactly. I have a broken G4 somewhere that I could do a teardown for you. I can also show you the G5 internals, since that's easy
Based 800 series thinkpad user
Where'd you get it from?

Besides diversity, what would be a net benefit of having a PPC computing device?
Would it be better than say, modern ARM?
t. never had access to one of them

All macs with upgradable RAM just use normal RAM. All laptops have specific requirements of RAM. But yes this was almost a decade before they started soldering on the ram if that's what you mean. It's just normal 155 pin (iirc) DDR SDRAM.

Would anyone be interested in a PPC single board computer?

Your threads would benefit from not being PPC threads, but rather Alternate ISA threads, like said

Yes

The last PowerBook uses DDR2 and YouTube is botnet.

Idk honestly. I thought they were like $40. The iBook G4 I had was totally unusable it was so slow. They were a horrible design. But yeah they'll be cheaper (ugly imo).

would they really be that slow, cant you upgrade the ram, sides, not like you would be doing anything of real performance on them anyways lmao

depends what you want them for. anything with JS is a nightmare

Literally nothing other than being botnet free (relative to x86). They seem to be immune to almost all branch prediction bugs, since the G4s are super simple. They're too old by this point, and this is coming from a ppcfag

also loads of abandonware

um, ok...implying I wouldn't use it to watch movies off the DVD drive like a human being...or simply pull my phone from about two feet away and use that?

I respect your drive to do this every thread, but why?

good to know.
i'm still not interested in macos 9
pure OpenBSD or NetBSD only.

i want one so bad
slap a recent version of netbsd on that chonker

Absolutely. Does one exist?

You use non x86 or x64 hardware??? Big fucking deal, not as if there is any difference from end users' point of view.

assuming they haven't changed since 2014 when i last remember playing youtube videos on it, the format i used on it (22) is main-3.1 (checked just now)

That's pretty impressive if it isn't dropping frames. I'm not sure what profile Netflix uses, but my laptop slows down to a crawl if I try to do anything else but watch video.

you're kidding right?
the hinges were dogshit and you had to tear the whole fucking thing down just to get to the hdd.
when thinkautists sperg about their trashpads they kinda have a point, but what the fuck is this faggotry

>spazzing on a thinkautist who's just taking in info about macppc
lel. I've specifically mentioned i'd heard of quality control issues with the powerbooks. I took a look on ebay and the only ibooks/powerbooks that are cheap enough that i'd be willing to just test it are either nasty or broken, and all probably have the hinge issues that i've mentioned already. Not worth my time. I'm just going to stick with my libre x60s until eoma68 enters the market and get a card+laptop enclosure or hit the e recyclers+thrift shops for x200's and just frankenstein one together for a few bucks.

erm.. wrong replies?

lol
there are inherent security risks in both the amd and intel offerings there, not to mention x86 is a bloated cisc isa originally developed in the 70s and haphazardly thrown together.

RISC-V is going to be based. Until then, it's ARM or nothing.

>erm... wrong replies?
You must be new here.
This is an Apple shill (talking about how their old computers were good makes their new ones look like the pieces of shit they are) who gets paid to dilute discussion on ppc threads. At first he posted scat, then he moved to falseflagging, and now he posts old replies with random quotes. It's not as obvious as the other techniques and the mods usually take hours to delete them.
There is a way to keep the discussion going and make every single one of his posts stand out, but for some fucking reason I seem to be the one who's figured it out.

Attached: IMG_20190604_004650.jpg (2029x1920, 980K)

oldfag, just didn't realize. chalked it up to a dumbass. Anyway, in many ways there have been so-called "innovations" that just ruin computing. Examples:
Chiclet keyboards
planned obsolescence through poor build quality and deliberate OS fuckery
the intel management engine/amd PSP

not to be a shill, but it's difficult to find something new that lacks any of these that isn't prohibitively expensive or still in development. I'm convinced wholeheartedly that when RISC-V launches it'll be a completely niche platform despite strong industry support and will cost way too much, but i'll still buy it.
I'm definitely comfortable with my circa-2006 laptop and flashing Leahboot, but why should I still be burning my lap and constantly worrying about having a power source on an 8 cell in [current year] because i care for my privacy?

p.s., is that an ultra workstation in your pic?

Yeah, I'm pretty much on the same boat.
I used an iBook and a PowerMac G4 until last year, when their memory ceilings became too low for my needs. Now I use an X200 and the hackintosh in that pic (it's in a case from a dead G5, I reused the entire cooling system and the PSU)

>p.s., is that an ultra workstation in your pic?
It's an Ultra Enterprise 250. Sun sold it as a low-end web server rather than a workstation. At $17k starting, the Ultra 10 ($2.5k starting) ate all its sales. So they're not very common machines. I use mine as a homeserver, with many upgrades which make it usable in a modern environment (Dual gigabit Ethernet, SATA II and a couple of modern hard drives to name a few).
Here's a makeshift setup with an Ultra 10 workstation.

Attached: IMG_20190810_231252.jpg (2560x1920, 2.27M)

How does someone set up a hackintosh? Just pirate the iso?

There are tons of guides out there.
Basically the setup consists of using a bootloader and FakeSMC to make the OS think it's running on a Mac.

based