"bro can you teach me how to program? I want to make programmer money just like you"

>"bro can you teach me how to program? I want to make programmer money just like you"
>teach him the basics of Java
>1 year later...
>he's freaking out because he can't figure out how to break down his ideas into basic functions or classes
>constantly asks me "What is the point/purpose" of linear algebra and other math (he wants to do crypto analysis)
>says cringy shit all the time like "These leetcode problems are bullshit, when are you ever going to have to do this in real life?"

I've tried telling him before that successful programmers are the ones that like tricky puzzles and math questions but he doesn't want to hear any of it. He's never going to get a job in this field at this rate. What should I do? Tried pushing him into webdev where it's at least more design critical but he hasn't taken the bait.

Attached: pepeannoyed.jpg (250x241, 7K)

webdev is the only shot he'd have. he sounds like a faggot. just ghost him.

Alright, thanks for letting us know.

Can't, he's a roommate for the next few months.

Make sure to like, comment, and subscribe for future updates. Click the bell icon in the lower right to always get my latest blogs.

your friend sounds like a mouth breather

Shoulda taught him javascript and react.

Even smooth brains can get jobs with that.

Damn, I should have. But when I asked him what he wanted to learn, he said "Whatever you do, dude!" And so I said, "Okay, you're learning Java."

Should have just taught him frontend stuff in the first place. That way he could at least see the output of his code on the screen. Instant gratification.

so i should stick with web design?

im literally brainlet

Become a sysadmin.

sounds gay

This. Sysasdmin are where all the brainlets go.

thanks anons. had this on mind but didnt know there was a name for it

is it harder to get a frontend job?

I wouldn't know. I think there's more competition but there's a lot of work as well in the field. JS developers are hired in droves.

"when are we gonna to use this in real life"

IQ < 100

Never gonna make it.

That's the fundamental problem I have. It's okay to feel frustrated with the learning curve but to approach knowledge with the attitude of "What's the point of this" means you won't ever become a "real" software engineer.

It's like the kid that asked what the point of algebra was in middle school. Now he works at McDonalds.

I'm used to being asked this as a mathfag. Believe it or not some girls in my upper division math classes in undergrad asked this question during abstract algebra lectures..Well they may have been actuarial science miniors/majors but still...

do the need full and refer your friend to the ICON of JAVA HIMSELF

Attached: ICON OF JAVA.jpg (1280x720, 204K)

What do you do in that case? They're constantly undermining math and treating it like a chore.

>"What is the point/purpose" of linear algebra and other math
>he wants to do crypto analysis
No he doesn't. He saw an episode of Mr. Robot and thought it was cool, he has no idea what cryptography is.

>Only trainer in India
Kek

>says cringy shit all the time like "These leetcode problems are bullshit
leetcode problems ARE bullshit, not to mention tedious
they are only useful if you are still learning the basics otherwise they are just timewasters and you are better off just doing something more practical like a project

Some people will never get it.
Whenever somebody asks me how to learn I saw get a book on the language you want to learn, and start rewriting most of the core library.
Compare what you made to their source. Keep working on different library functions (rewrite map, foldr, etc) until what you've made at least half resembles what they've done. Now go on the language's main project page and see what open issues exist. Solve the easiest ones. Now you have actual feedback for your work, for free even. So 1 on 1 coaching essentially. Keep doing this until you can write a feature request and successfully maintain it. You're now a developer and you probably have spent a considerable amount of time learning the compiler/systems as well. Time to make money as a freelancer using your commit history as a resume and run a side project you now won't implode from idiocy because you spent a good amount of time being personally trained.

Leetcode problems come up in real life all the time. For example you need to write a hash table to manually update dom cells. You need to write a special logging function that performs fast writes, but quadratic time when you infrequently need to read them (and perform sanity checking of the data). You need to parse a massive proprietary data pipeline different from what the default language libraries offer, so you need tto optimize for some specific thing.... all of this is leetcode problems.

I'm an SRE title that came from a sysadmin title before this. My W-2 last year mentioned mid 200s. I like what I do and if I'm a smooth brain I'm ok with that.

OP don't get your friend into sysadmin unless he enjoys hosts, and tinkering with Linux, otherwise he might be miserable, and you need a whole other set of skills to be successful than the typical software engineer.

Attached: EAPGLI3U0AAPR85.jpg (680x408, 66K)

>java
what a fucking faggot
should have taught him a real language such as Python

>he wants to do crypto analysis

Ooof.
Sorry your lil bro is a sperg.
He's lucky to have the change to learn from someone for free and he's not even taking it seriously.

You have too high hopes for little bro OP.
He will be lucky to do front end web dev.
Maybe throw him off on a python learning course to make him bored and to get a real job or he will finally click and take you seriously.

I wish I had a big bro to even explain the concepts of algos and linear algebra.
To setup puzzles for me as I progress..

That's generic IT ya tard.
Sysadmins actually need to know about secops or they get fired when they open themselves to a vuln.

>"when are we gonna to use this in real life"
I remember saying this shit when I was 15. Can't believe that only 4 years later I'm in love with math (even when I'll really never need it).

this. i never do exercises, i just create a small project after a chapter or the entire book and i learn way more than with doing shitty exercises.

>No spring boot
Dear lord durga all the meme java workplaces are asking for spring boot. Please enlighten me

It's much better to do some small projects which forces you to find the best solution specific to the thing your building.