/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1457817035029.png (1979x1983, 297K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pwr-Solaar/Solaar
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3K-RdRand-Systemd-Maybe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

guix

gcc

Xubuntu

gentoo

Deepin's UI died on me, can anyone tell me what's the package name that it uses?
I can't format that shit untill I can bring it back up.

Does LILO work with f2fs? Installing Gentoo first time

So, I got a new Logitech MX Master mouse , but there is this thing called "smart shift" which automatically switches the scroll wheel to smooth scrolling if I scroll fast enough.

Now, the PPA build of Solaar supposedly doesn't have a button/option to 'disable' the smart shift
I read online if you install the solaar-master from github without using the PPA you can get a "newer" version that gives you this option.

Problem is, I'm fairly new to linux and only know how to "apt-get" shit. I cloned the git from the Solaar github site and followed the 'manual installation' read-me but it didn't really do much and I don't see the command-line or GUI options after manually installing.
Maybe I'm not "installing" it right? I haven't tried to clone straight from github. Any help? Or ultimately, just how to permanently disable the fucking smart shift on my MX Master in linux?

Attached: banner.png (336x280, 8K)

Sorry - i mis-typed:
*have cloned the folder from github
I have the folder in /Solaar right now

I get brutal screen tearing when I play anything in the gpu=hq setting on mpv unless I'm using Wayland, and GNOME is the only functional Wayland DE or WM.

Assuming gpu=hq is non-negotiable, how do I escape the clutches of the GNOME?

I'm honestly a bit baffled. Was Linux video always this bad, or has mpv ruined me for xorg?
I'm not even mentioning downscaling. I get the tearing with 1080p on a 1080p screen, but 2 and 4K stuff lags by over a minute, unless I'm using GNOME with the gpu-context=wayland line mpv.conf, in which case the problem vanishes. Because of GNOME, of all things. Is it possible GNOME isn't actually shit, and I've just been memed on by people who only want DEs that can run on Thinkpad T60s?

(This is on a laptop with Intel Skylake graphics.)

I need a fast reply

If i have a sudo install command with -y ... for some piece of software , and this command is scheduled weekly through crontab, does this eventually force linux to totally start upgrading all software as if i typed sudo apt get update ?

Linux is a kernel.

No. In theory it should only update the software and its dependencies only.

Thanks

Gnome is a good DE. You don't have to spend too much time configuring everything, unlike KDE. Support for Wayland is okay. Just make sure to disable animations using gnome-tweaks. And add the system-monitor and dash to dock plugins. That's all you really need. The only problem is the memory usage. Only use vanilla Gnome (e.g. from Fedora).

Generally packages will have clear instructions on how to install it. But to a beginner it can still seem daunting especially if you don't have CS/programming experience. Can you link the package you're trying to install?

github.com/pwr-Solaar/Solaar

Following the manual install - the image is all it gives me and then there are no more instructions...
I type in "Solaar" in command line and it says nothing is found/installed.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-15 20-30-15.png (624x102, 23K)

Does LTO provide enough of a benefit to go through the hassle?

Or I guess another way around it is: If I use "Apt install Solaar" it gives me version 0.9.2

Current release is 1.0.1 though - how would I effectively "Upgrade" it to 1.0.1?
Using sudo apt upgrade doesn't seem to work

I need to make small stick diagrams of a human shape climbing and descending stairs.
Should I use inkscape?
I started something with tikz but I can't see the end.
The other guys use PowerPoint.

Why is xfce debian so fucking gross?

Only when coupled with clang and lld
gcc lto is lacking

because it's not dwm gentoo

apt will only give you what is in the repositories. if 0.9.2 is the version in the repository, that's what you get.

You may need to do something else to install it. Or try "solaar" (lower case) or "solaar-cli" to run it if it installed properly.

If you're going to install it manually, uninstall it from the package manager (apt).

Another option would be finding a PPA with the updated version already in it. A casual look doesn't find any PPAs that are active for any recent version of Ubuntu.

Just noticed something, you used install.sh, but it's only for a udev rule. which is only one part. I *think* what you want to do is run setup.py and it will either install to wherever you want, or to your home directory.

How would I go about updating XFCE to 4.14 with Debian 10?
Do I need to wait for someone to make a repo?

Attached: 4f50349b3e6b2047294111a4a23553f9.jpg (565x753, 46K)

your options are to build it yourself (making it into .debs which you then install is optional) or wait. Eventually it'll show up in sid and migrate to testing, but as to when, well, that depends on the Debian maintainers.

Once its in testing it can theoretically show up in backports, but I wouldn't count on anyone to do the work of making a backport of it, since the kind of people who run stable and the kinds of people who want the very latest-and-greatest version of a DE don't overlap very much. You'll probably just have to run a full testing (or sid) system if you want it that badly.

and if you're thinking about running sid to get the latest applications... you probably shouldn't. sid is the kid that breaks toys from the gay toy story movies, hence the name - it'll break stuff guaranteed. Get an actual rolling release if you want the latest and greatest desktop technology, or live in the land of stability with boring old packages. Don't try to create a Frankenstein monster of a mix of both.

well that's kind of a general problem with the very idea of rolling-release and the latest packages. Stuff will break. It'll have bugs. Upstream will fuck up or change random shit for god knows why. If you want to avoid that, you get to sacrifice the whole "current packages" thing, and let the bleeding-edge crowd deal with that inconvenience for a while before you use it.

I mostly wanted it for the hidpi stuff but I guess there are some other workaround.
I'd rather not move to testing and suffer all my other programs.

Attached: vQbhKAk.gif (230x290, 1.48M)

>Debian 10
>Broken GDEBI dabs on you

I forgot how I did this last time, but on manjaro under firefox mainly (but under any program) if i have my mouse on the left border of my screen scrolling and clicking wont register as anything happening. I honestly cant remember how i fixed it so if anyone has any ideas im open, thanks

Should you add users to the "portage" group in Gentoo or is it not recommended?

>manjaro under firefox (any program)
you neglected to give us the key piece of information: what DE/WM you're using.

It's probably a setting in that, since the borders are something the wm creates.

ah yeah. kde. its only the left border, all others work fine.

Hmm, well I'm not sure, if it was Xfce I'd have an idea where to look. It's probably buried deep within KDE settings somewhere, like everything. What I do is remove the borders on every window (under Window Decorations) so I don't run into this problem. I feel like it looks better that way.

If you're dead set on keeping borders for whatever reason (and not just resizing using alt/mod4+right click or using the invisible border) then I'd look under System Settings/Windows Management -> window behavior.

How do I stop being the "As soon as X program/GAYM is available, I'll switch!" guy?

Attached: GunNodding.gif (480x270, 3.01M)

When proton is perfected.

window borders are gone. its not the borders, its the actual border of the monitor. idk how else to descrive it "the left most column of pixels"

Do you have multiple monitors? Sometimes you can set them to overlap and it causes issues. If you just have the one I'm not sure what would be causing it. Can you take a screenshot and show the "dead zone"?

nah just the one. i put a red line on exactly where its happening. its independent of whatever program is up

Attached: ss.png (2560x1440, 908K)

it looks like it's right at the edge of your monitor. for what it's worth i couldn't reproduce it on GNOME with a maximized window, I don't have KDE at my disposal right now and don't want to install it. Sorry i couldn't be more help.

>Threadshitter 1950x, RTX 2080 TI
Deb 10 won't boot a live USB. even with 'nomodeset rdblacklist=nouveau'
I tried a 9.5 live image and it booted fine. Suggestions?

Attached: 2019-06-17.png (1200x1200, 555K)

Try using systemrescuecd instead, its Gentoo based so it will probably work.

Rethink the reasons for switching. Technical reasons are only secondary; choosing between masters that allow you to do things and being free should be an easy choice.

try something with modern drivers

heck you can even find distros that include the shitty (but required if you're an nvidiot) proprietary driver in the iso. Manjaro and Pop! OS come to mind.

But I just remembered this, so it's probably not your GPU that's causing it, it's a bad implementation of RdRand that newer versions of systemd don't like and have to be patched to workaround. Basically 9.5 is old enough where it isn't affected, but 10 is new enough where it is affected but not new enough to get the patches to fix it. Try a different distro.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3K-RdRand-Systemd-Maybe

I thought that got backported in Debian

>RdRand
dangit

Attached: QuakePC.png (369x300, 10K)

Update: seems it will launch the graphical installer fine.

I installed arch just fine, but now i tried to installed some packages from the aur. I did it manually, and i thing i did it right, but i have no idea how to open the program. If i just type the name like i do with Firefox, nothing happens. Did i fuck up the pkg install or do i literally not know how to start a program.

Attached: 1538416737645.png (620x453, 95K)

wrong

do you have a wm/de?

Just i3

try running ldd on some programs, see what the output is.

I....

Attached: hahawhat.png (1017x340, 108K)

I'm not as familiar with the setup method: just running the .py directly give me

root@Ideacentre:/home/jonathan# /home/jonathan/Solaar/setup.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'install_requires'
warnings.warn(msg)
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
or: setup.py --help-commands
or: setup.py cmd --help

error: no commands supplied
root@Ideacentre:/home/jonathan#

just typing install etc.etc... doesn't do it and I guess I"m not too sure if there is extra things I have to type. Like it may be simple as setting up a directory? But then where would I install it to exactly? under bin?

YEs

I just ran "/home/jonathan/Solaar/Setup.py build
and /home/jonathan/Solaar/Setup.py install

and it throws me something like

error: package directory 'lib/hidapi' does not exist

So install hidapi.

I did and it gives me the same error

pretty much installed everything that mentioned hidapi using the apt search

install with hidapi python bindings with pip
pip install --user hidapi

or maybe
pip3 install --user hidapi

Hey guys, did someone updated pango fonts lately? I'm on void linux and for some reason after updating it, rofi and dusnt broke, but urxvt and polybar kept the same. They 4 use the same font: Tewi 10.
Someone could point me on the right direction to fix it?

It gives me this output, its the dependencies, right? This is for spotifyd. What do i do with this?

Attached: Capture+_2019-08-16-10-01-11.png (1403x924, 2.48M)

I'm using Debian 10
I guess pip doesn't work, it just says 'unknown command "pip" in both instances

rethink your relationship with computing
clearly you want to use a better system

scroll up and see if you can see any not found ones. If theyre all there i reccomend running Syu, it usually fixes this sort of stuff for me

update
i'm installing python-pip to try it

>nothing happens
Dude its probably working normally then.
Run the command and then immediately run echo $?
If it says 0 then the program is working properly.

Don't do that. It's actually in your distro repos. It's called python-hidapi

i already installed python-hidapi and it still says "lib/hidapi" does not exist.

Just creating a blank folder doesn't do anything either

Ok now i get hostname errors haha, maybe i didnt set my dns up right.
It actually shows 0 for spotifyd, so how do i get to the actual usable interface?

Attached: 1513872329581.png (657x527, 11K)

does mixing software using different GUI toolkits (e.g. GTK and Qt) not recommended? gnome team is cancer but there are too many programs out there that uses GTK so its pretty much unavoidable

OKay. So I've tried installing in a container. and it works flawlessly. You now you have to be in the cloned folder, most likely 'Solaar' for this to work? cd into it, then run the setup again.

it's very difficult to theme them so that GTK2, GTK3, and Qt applications all look similar. You'll have some Qt libraries and dependencies sitting on your drive.

Other than that there's no real problems or downsides.

Test

root@Ideacentre:/home/jonathan/Solaar# setup.py
bash: setup.py: command not found
root@Ideacentre:/home/jonathan/Solaar#

sorry - i'm like super duper new to installing something outside of using 'apt install' methods

test

./setup.py

you'll have to add the folder of the program you want to run if it's not in your path. In this case ./ the folder you're currently into.

Ok you got me but please no bully anymore.

Did this now and still the same issue. What am i do wrong.

did it work?

>Did this now and still the same issue. What am i do wrong.
idk dog, i dont use i3 and i use manjaro. GL though. do other browsers like chromium work?

Firefox works just fine. Its just Spotifyd and tor-browser from the aur that dont work

it ran some stuff this time.
not sure what it did, but running solaar now gives me a message
(solaar:4696): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 03:53:27.737: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed

typing solaar --version
give me a message 1.0.1 though

>python-hidapi
what about python3-hidapi?

Running debug:
jonathan@Ideacentre:~$ solaar --debug
03:56:56,536 INFO [MainThread] root: language en_US (UTF-8), translations path /usr/local/share/locale
03:56:56,602 INFO [MainThread] solaar.upower: connected to system dbus, watching for suspend/resume events
03:56:56,663 INFO [MainThread] solaar.listener: starting receiver listening threads
03:56:56,666 INFO [MainThread] solaar.listener: receiver event add DeviceInfo(path=u'/dev/hidraw6', vendor_id=u'046d', product_id=u'c52b', serial=u'', release='2407', manufacturer='Logitech', product='USB Receiver', interface=2, driver=u'logitech-djreceiver')
03:56:56,671 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.listener: started with (15)
03:56:56,671 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: : notifications listener has started (15)
03:56:56,675 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.receiver: : receiver notifications enabled => ('wireless', 'software present')
03:56:56,679 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: status_changed : present, No paired devices. (0)
03:56:56,679 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.receiver: : found new device 1 (4069)
03:56:56,679 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: Notification(1,41,04,326940) triggered new device (mouse)
03:56:57,880 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: status_changed

: present, 1 paired device. (0)
03:56:58,002 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.configuration: saved {u'_version': u'1.0.1', u'4069:A44A6B4F': {u'hires-smooth-invert': False, u'smart-shift': 16, u'hires-smooth-resolution': False, u'dpi': 1000, u'_name': u'Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S'}} to /home/jonathan/.config/solaar/config.json
03:56:58,022 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.configuration: saved {u'_version': u'1.0.1', u'4069:A44A6B4F': {u'hires-smooth-invert': False, u'smart-shift': 16, u'hires-smooth-resolution': False, u'dpi': 1000, u'_name': u'Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S'}} to /home/jonathan/.config/solaar/config.json
03:56:58,042 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.configuration: saved {u'_version': u'1.0.1', u'4069:A44A6B4F': {u'hires-smooth-invert': False, u'smart-shift': 16, u'hires-smooth-resolution': False, u'dpi': 1000, u'_name': u'Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S'}} to /home/jonathan/.config/solaar/config.json
03:56:58,062 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.configuration: saved {u'_version': u'1.0.1', u'4069:A44A6B4F': {u'hires-smooth-invert': False, u'smart-shift': 16, u'hires-smooth-resolution': False, u'dpi': 1000, u'_name': u'Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S'}} to /home/jonathan/.config/solaar/config.json

(solaar:5074): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 03:56:58.119: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
03:56:58,121 INFO

[ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: status_changed : paired online, {'BATTERY LEVEL': 90, 'BATTERY CHARGING': False, 'BATTERY STATUS': NamedInt(0, 'discharging'), 'LINK ENCRYPTED': True, 'ERROR': None} (1)
03:56:58,121 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: status_changed : paired online, {'BATTERY LEVEL': 90, 'BATTERY CHARGING': False, 'BATTERY STATUS': NamedInt(0, 'discharging'), 'LINK ENCRYPTED': True, 'ERROR': None} (0)
03:56:58,121 INFO [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] solaar.listener: status_changed : paired online, {'BATTERY LEVEL': 90, 'BATTERY CHARGING': False, 'BATTERY STATUS': None, 'LINK ENCRYPTED': True, 'ERROR': None} (0)
03:56:58,121 WARNING [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.notifications: : unknown BATTERY Notification(1,07,10,0404C0280A0000000000000000000000)
03:56:58,375 WARNING [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.notifications: : unrecognized Notification(1,02,00,0001F0FF00004E00000000) for feature DEVICE FW VERSION (index 02)
03:56:58,375 WARNING [ReceiverListener:hidraw6] logitech_receiver.notifications: : unrecognized Notification(1,02,00,0001F0FF00004E00000000) for feature DEVICE FW VERSION (index 02)

It just repeats the last line indefinitely

Have you started the newly installed version or the one from your distro? Find out with which solaar For me it installed to /usr/local/bin/solaar It might actually be better to remove the distro version all along.

You know what, nevermind,

I found it also installed a GUI icon on the bottom of my screen I can access the program from there

No idea why it throws an indefinate repeat if trying to access it from command line though. In either case, it did what I wanted it to.

Immense thank you to everyone who helped and to for the final solution HH

Jow Forums helped my first github install.
Hopefully I can carry this experience over to other packages. Thanks again

I did unintall the first distro version.

see for whatever reason the GUI icon works but the command-line access doesn't. Not sure whats up

I need to run windows programs on Linux.
All I know is I need Wine but I don't know how to set it up.
I've also heard about Proton and play on linux.

What programs?

just installed ubuntu
what are some interesting things i could do on linux

Little bump, if you don't mind.

trying to reinstall arch on an lvm this time but I can't install GRUB. any help? I edited /etc/mkinitcpio.conf with lvm2 before pacstrap if that matters

Attached: IMG_20190816_194954.jpg (2238x2492, 1.75M)

is there a way to check my gpu usage? i like ksysguard but it only does cpu, ram and network (not disks weirdly). Im doing some rendering and i just wanna make sure my gpus being used because the fans rent spinning loudly or anything. Also does anyone know why davinci is only using 3.7gb of ram? everything is 64bit so i have 12gb just sitting around doing nothing.

Who the fuck approved of this XFCE update? I was missing on vacation for a week and just updated and it fucked up my entire setup, aesthetic-wise.
Fuck

Lol this is where i got up to yesterday. For what its worth i gave up and installed Manjaro. But my error was due to luks so not directly comparable. Perhaps following what it says and using -d?

wines usually
install wine
double click .exe
pray it doesnt rely on .net

I don't know what to put in the argument though. it points to sda by default but I'm confused, am I supposed to have the boot partition outside the lvm? I hope someone here can help