/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?&v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does. OR upscale from lower resolution with RIS
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come this week. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Attached: intel shill.jpg (2083x1405, 462K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/thread/215821
pcpartpicker.com/list/NQ33fH
downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_alienware_dsk/alienware-area51-alx_owners-manual_en-us.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=S0eYigMcgpg
pcpartpicker.com/list/cfsj8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

intel+nvidia = more frames

Intel+Nvidia = irrelevant in a year

>3700x shipped and on schedule for delivery tomorrow
>getting rest of stuff tomorrow
>building in a week or two
it's time bros

Attached: Kill-Bill-2.jpg (600x300, 28K)

3700x stock when?

And more vulnerabilities

I wasn't trying to disprove him, the point was that the 9600k is faster, that running it at 4.3ghz is misleading, so the 3600 being a better doesn't matter for those two points.
I literally made that excel sheet

How's that build coming along, Jow Forums?

Attached: build.jpg (3000x2000, 2.73M)

i ordered mine monday during the half hour window it was in stock

>all that fucking dust

Attached: 1529563957262.gif (360x270, 3.24M)

If I clean my dust from my desk/entertainment stand that shit is dusted in another week

Have you replaced your vent filter(s)?

So nvidia cards have been unbuyable since they launched pascal because the bios must be signed so you cannot flash one you made yourself which locks voltage, power limits. There is other fuckery too, they can tell the exact FPS output of the card from the power control processor.
NOW the 5700 and 5700XT have WAAAAY too low of a voltage limit in their BIOS. The red devil runs almost inaudibly when at maximum overclock.
I'm so broken, I feel like someone died. I guess I have to quit games because this is just unacceptable.
Why is it tolerated in GPUs when it wouldn't be in CPUs? Imagine if Intel sold you a K series processor(both nvidia and amd pretend that you can "overclock" their cards) with a 1.2 volt hard limit and a hard power limit at 150% stock tdp.
Hopefully stadia works out.

>About to plop down the cpu into the socket
>hands start shaking

Attached: 1492440932836.jpg (250x236, 5K)

So has AMD fixed their freesync flickering issue yet?
community.amd.com/thread/215821
I'm asking because using freesync is pretty fucking unbearable when it flickers every time your fps dip down.

Okay guys, I did not follow the ''PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING'' rule because I have always upgraded my PC for game performance while playing on 3 shitty 10 year old 24'' monitor screens.

So here is the deal, I bought a new computer (i9-9900k, RTX2080, 16Gigs RAM) I currently bought 1, 27'' 1440p 144hz monitor and 2, 27'' 1080p 60hz monitors and now I feel dumb.

I have always had 3 monitor setup so I am not going away from it, I am mainly gaming on one monitor and using the two others for multimedia.

Should I A: Buy 3, 27'', 1440p, 144hz monitor (If my computer can manage 144hz on one monitor)
or should I B: Buy 3, 24'' 1080p, 144hz monitors?

I am literally going insane over here with all these choices, I just need one solid answer!

Stop smoking indoors

>haha le ebin using the wrong thing for thermal paste xD

So you have a 1440p/144hz monitor? What's the problem? That's the optimal monitor for your setup. Who cares if your second and third screens are 1080p/60z? What are you going to be doing on them? Watching a video, browsing the internet, Skype/Discord? They don't need to be 1440p/144hz gaming monitors. I'd say you're fine.

Am I being too paranoid or what here?

>3700x
>Newest BIOS and updates
>Vcore in Master shows as 1.45 near constant when anything is open, drops to 1V on idle.
>Stressing the CPU with bench tests and games shows 55C and about 15% CPU usage
>Browsing the internet shows slightly less, but fan quite literally spools up for a second each time a new page is loaded

NOTHING has been touched, nothing. Am I fine in just pushing these random occurrences to the back of my mind if my temps never exceed 65C, or should I be worried about my near constant 1.45V and 4300 boost clocks?

That's what you get for listening to the SHILL OP and going AMD.

Thats what I originaly thought my setup should be like, its not like I bought the best gaming monitor either, I got the Samsung C27JG50 because it was cheap, it works arright to my kind of use I guess. Thanks for the input.

Attached: totally_normal.jpg (810x595, 268K)

I am in a dilemma, I can keep refreshing newegg canada or other places that are selling the aib xt and grab one immediately, or I can wait for some stock to pour in and perhaps get a slightly cheaper while also running the risk of it getting more expensive. My PayPal can only handle one more 550 cad trans action cause I didnt time my monitor purchase correctly, so its part of this months credit statement and not last months, that's partly fault for not being resolute in my purchase decision, and partly paypsls fault for not having alternate verification methods.

>listening to literal marketing man
I too ask a used car salesman if the car I am buying from him is good or if it has any problems

Attached: 1562526892681.jpg (1676x1119, 294K)

>just ordered sapphire 5700xt on amazon
Please be lying

Attached: 20190815_195905.jpg (905x189, 27K)

I just wanted an upgrade from my old phenom, not this constant worry about whether or not my processor is going to last 5 years, let alone 2, at this current voltage. My experience with AMD in the past is that voltage kills more than heat. Doesn't mean a thing if you can keep it below 95C if the voltage is ridiculous.

I've touched NOTHING, like I said. I mean, what the fuck are these fluctuations? Why does Ryzen decide that loading up a browser tab should boost the CPU to max clock and voltage, but show little usage?

Damned near everything is out of stock right now for some reason. I'm not in a hurry myself but it's very strange.

If you had a gsync monitor and no GPU would you buy the gay 2060 super/2070 super or the less gay 5700xt?

How much should I spend on my first PC? My Fujitsu pre-built finally died.

Did you not see the 'ships withing 1 to 3 months' part?

Attached: Suffering.png (297x253, 21K)

How much money do you have to spend?

>buy the gay 2060 super/2070 supe
Not even a question that is the better choice

I can spend upto 5K incl. peripherals but really I'd prefer value over performance

I think they made it so either cards work on either sync support. Or at least freesync works on both, don't know it has all the bells and whistles, whatever they are.

Dumb question from someone who doesn't know anything about PC building, how abstract can you make a computer? Is the casing important for dispersing heat or anything?
Making a giant frankenstein PC that's built through a whole bookshelf or a web of wires and circuit boards that goes floor to ceiling sounds rad, but it doesn't mean anything if it can't stand up to a normal one.

Attached: djohaal_d37hhf1-pre.jpg (1155x692, 108K)

How do you clean the insides of your tower user? Microfiber cloth? Feather duster? Vacuum cleaner?

But that's not relevant because I have g-sync?

Various things to consider, do you want 4k, or ultrawide or some such? Do you do lots of work like video editing, or are you msotly getting it for gaming? Do you want a quiet rig? Small form factor?

I use a vacuum in my pajamas on a carpeted floor. Tower gets squeaky clean.

>intel literally depositing $0.001 into your account for every time you shill for them

$2000 price range for everything can get you a pretty solid setup
I'll setup a parts list for you since I'm bored rn

Guess not, so choice is made for you I guess?

Attached: 1354604481595.jpg (1536x2048, 514K)

is this shit for real?

Attached: 5700xt pulse.png (1747x626, 418K)

Good thing you highlighted it, otherwise I'd not have known what to look for.

it's an amd card, surely you are used to waiting.
It's funny that they are going to be nearly a year late to the party at this tempo

Sweet wallpaper

Isn't 4k a meme lmao I've always used 4K Youtube in 1080p, looks nicer. That said the Fujitsu's really noisy so quiet isn't a requirement, all I do is lawyers' work and a bit of CK2. It'd be nice to try out VR by the time I'm done being a summer associate.

Ah thanks user.

I did, just hoping their estimate is wildly inaccurate.

Air flow is important, you need both intake and exhaust. Otherwise your equipment with automatically shut off to protect itself from the heat accumulation or just die heat death.

That said, you could easily incorporate that into a bookshelf. I'm not sure that you feasibly get most of the equipment far enough away from the motherboard to get what you're intending though. If you did wires from floor to ceiling, it'd just be cooled by the open air.

Attached: 1479422365544.jpg (1589x1191, 297K)

Attached: swede.gif (538x302, 1.2M)

I'm , as soon as it ships I'll post in /pcbg/. I think the estimate is just a placeholder.

You don't need a case at all if you really don't want one.
But all your components have to be plugged into the motherboard. Some components, like the PSU, are wired to the motherboard, so you could have it sitting on a different level of a bookshelf.
But the others, like RAM, CPU, and GPU are all plugged into the mb.
There are many advantages to having a case though. Safety for you and your components is a start. Cleanliness is another. Tidiness is also quite important, for when you want to swap parts for example.

Just depends if you want that absolute high pixel sharpness, I would consider it a meme myself. Ultrawide on the other hand is quite nice, seen a few screens at work with it, lots of usable real estate if you have work to do, or for playing games I suppose.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NQ33fH
leaves you room for a secondary monitor.

I found this on the side of the road, how do I take it apart jesus christ it's like a transformer.

Attached: download (11).jpg (1600x1200, 207K)

How easy would it be to un-overclock and AIB 5700xt? I want the better, quieter cooler, but not at the tradeoff of it generating more heat to pump into this room.

Attached: 1422320688533.gif (690x200, 1.59M)

I unplug my tower and take it into the garage where I use my air compressor to blow out the dust twice a year

It better be a place holder. I just want to get my hands on a 5700xt already.

Voltage and temp spikes are 'normal' behaviour. It even spikes when you move the mouse with no background app running.
1V idle is the best idle voltage I have seen on the web so you're good.

>fan spools for a second each time a new page is loaded
Change the fan curve. Are you using Wraith Prism? Change that too.

How difficult would it be to connect two closed loop water coolers together?
I want them connected because the load on each the CPU and GPU is not always equal so it would be better that each component has access to the full cooling capacity instead of it being seperated.
I was planning to do this:
1) Remove all tubing and drain everything
2) Attach new aftermarket tubing as well as a reseviour
3) Refill and leak test
4) Mount one of the two pump/block combos on the CPU and the other on the GPU
5) Mount both rads(to be determined on size)

Is there any reason this will not work? I know they use cheap aluminum radiators and not copper but since both rads will be aluminum and the res will be plastic I don't think corrosion will be a problem. The tubing looks to be standard so finding replacement tubing(maybe even hard line black) should be fine.
This would be far cheaper than an open loop with the same amount of radiator space and only one pump.

downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_alienware_dsk/alienware-area51-alx_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

Just get the blower one and put on an accelero extreme/raijintek morpheus/nzxt g12+120 or 240mm aio.
The cooler will out live the card so you will save money on your next GPU as well by not having to pay for a good cooler and then you will also have superior performance to any stock cooler.
The accelero extreme is only $65 and would shit on the pulse and you can order it and a 5700xt right now and have them by saturday morning.

Water cooling is a meme all you're doing is adding more failure points and noise

Yeah I guess a vertical Ultrawide would be nice, I'll look into it.

Thanks for the baseline, I had other peripherals in mind. Browsing for peripherals was surprisingly a stress relief.

Okay but surely coming from a low idle voltage to max boost voltage in the span of a ms can't be good in the long run, right? I know this is reported normal for Ryzen 3000, but general cold to hot temp increases are never good in the long-term for electronics. Why is Ryzen 3000 all the sudden different?

I am incredibly curious as to whether or not my 3700x will be functional in 10 years compared to my old Athlon 64 which is still functional, despite overclocking at its(at the time,) ridiculous voltages.

Shit I'm pretty much in the same situation as the guy you're replying to.

Is this really a good build for someone that said he's ready to go up to 5k?

I never considered going lower than a 3700x.

Aren't there youtubers saying to not do this for the 5700 XT specifically because of VRAM?

>Why is Ryzen 3000 all the sudden different?
It's not and we'll only know if it can last for 10 years when we get there.
Physicswise, the spikes will wear out the chip and it won't last as long as older generation chips.

I'm 10% visual acuity and even I can do it. Be brave user.

3600 should be enough for gaming, if you want to do more than perhaps go for 3700x and up. There's the intel option I suppose if you absolutely must have higher fps, but I think that's when you want to push toward the 200s or some shit, never seen that myself so don't know if it's actually worth it.
Oh and a few programs are apparently optimized specifically for intel, they have stupidly fast rendering times because they had engineers work with the company to figure it out.

>Windows 10 Pro x64 (Version 1607 - Build 14393.1066)
duh. a lot changed with how windows treats,hm, windows since that build

The 3600 is really, really good. And for its price it's insane. Your GPU is FAR more likely to bottleneck you before it does. 3700x and up are for workstations that are used constantly.

I'd change that pcpartpicker build to have a x570 mobo though

>mfw intel cpu and amd graphics card
should i be worried?

Attached: 1521517666486.jpg (484x510, 124K)

gigabyte? they fixed fans going 100% it in recent beta bios, everything else is not a problem and if you idle temps are fine my 3600x stays at 30'C with same fans going whiiirl time to time, I set them to silent for now didn't notice temp change and same 55'C tops at load

Only found one video using the accelero but I can understand why. Since the whole memory temperature thing that surfaced on news articles everywhere, I was skeptical about those little stick-on heatsinks working, guess I thought correct. There's also a comment saying they used a morpheus II and experienced the same problem
mind the soi
youtube.com/watch?v=S0eYigMcgpg

>up to 5k
A i3 can drive t5kat 30 fps just fine lmao. You need good cpus for 1080p gaming

you're already in the fire dimension friend, we're all on fire right now

you need good CPU so it doesn't drop sub 30 time to time

literally the worst combination in current year

Bru, maybe pay up for an r5 for longevity

Sounds based to me

it's amd year, gaming at 1440 never been better.

>If you did wires from floor to ceiling, it'd just be cooled by the open air.
I think that answers my question about the web idea, I guess the main question in that was whether or not the casing and the fan directs air flow or if the parts can just radiate heat
>There are many advantages to having a case though. Safety for you and your components is a start. Cleanliness is another. Tidiness is also quite important, for when you want to swap parts for example.
Oh yeah I know the casing IS there for a reason I'm just curious if removing it will ruin the big dumb art project. Related to that how much shit can you actually put into a computer? That would actually help I mean. Nothing I've seen has ever been close to the size of a bookshelf

Attached: 1495506878383.gif (460x304, 1.66M)

Got crashed into on my way back from college with most of everything I owned. Rate my new build. Tried to avoid RGB cancer but figured it would be cool to match the backlight on the keyboard and mouse so I opted for the MM530 over anything logitech related. Wouldn't have gotten the corsair CPU cooler but it keeps it at good temperatures at around 37 dba under load, which is almost identical to the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT card from what I've read

pcpartpicker.com/list/cfsj8Y

MSI. Funnily enough, the very first 3000 BIOS were the best ones for me temp-wise, but updating to AGESA AB has given me the current problems I am experiencing. I would downgrade, but my board has no flashback feature, and the downgrade tool that I have used before with success, it gives me a ROM relocation error, so I'd rather not brick my only MOBO at the moment over this, despite how worried it makes me.

It is quite literally either attempt a downgrade to a BIOS I know gave me good voltages, or risk the potential brick and spend $200 on another motherboard.

I got 99 problems but a brick ain't one.

Attached: chippy clippy.jpg (700x700, 44K)

>I guess the main question in that was whether or not the casing and the fan directs air flow or if the parts can just radiate heat

Cases generally pull air in the front and exhaust waste heat out of the back. It's a necessity of the components being in an enclosed environment.

>sapphire out of stock for god knows how long
>msi is the next best thing but it's god ugly and loud
>asus, xfx, and powercolor fucked up and are close to 90c on memory temperatures
>cannot use aftermarket air coolers because of
>watercooling costs
for fuck sake why is this so troublesome

I mean if they need air flow or if they can just radiate

>AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6 GHz)
>Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
>DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO, Blanc, 16 Go (2 x 8 Go), 3200 MHz, CAS 16
>Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim
>PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil
>Samsung Série 970 EVO Plus, 1 To, M.2
>Seagate IronWolf, 10 To
>Phanteks Eclipse P600S (Silent Edition) Tempered Glass, Satin Black
>EVGA 750 GQ, 750W
For gaming 1440p/144hz on Linux. Already got an aorus ad27qd. Want it to last 6+ years. Dont know if I should split my HDD in two. What about SSD, maybe take a second one. Finally the case, something better ? Thanks for the help.

Attached: 1543809837855.jpg (604x604, 57K)

>Just Wait(tm) for Navi for most of a year
>Navi comes out
>The reference design sucks
>Just Wait(tm) another month for AIB models
>Everyone else did the exact same thing and the AIB models
>They're marked up on arrival over the reference designs that were already marked up because Nvidia's doing it
>They're so sold out Amazon's threatening to not have them until Christmas
Just pulled the trigger on a Vega 56 and I don't give a fuck anymore. I'll see you faggots when the next generation's on the way in and Navi's on its way out and discounted to fucking hell.

Attached: dabbing boomer.gif (498x259, 914K)

He's a retard it's not hard to make sure everything is being cooled. AIO mount? Make sure a fan is pointed at the vrm and ram and attach little heat sinks.
Morpheus should have enough air moving over the card with the 2x big fans that it's not an issue.
A similar colution can be made with the accelero
It's a graphics card, you attach metal, point fan, and it works.
Don't buy a 3700x unless your linux is literally gentoo and you are compiling everything. 9400 -> 3600 -> 9700k are the gaming CPUs.
So you save what like $150? That's enough to go for a better gpu or faster ram like 3600 cl16.

Yeah it's kind of fucked because the 5700 is a $200 gpu, 5700XT is $250.
But then again the 2080ti is a $500 card so whatever.
oh and all of them are locked down

>Don't buy a 3700x unless your linux is literally gentoo and you are compiling everything. 9400 -> 3600 -> 9700k are the gaming CPUs.
>So you save what like $150? That's enough to go for a better gpu or faster ram like 3600 cl16
I intend to stay in full amd so I guess I need to go for the 3600X ? Also, wont I be limited in term of performances ? I dont wanna overclock anything.

>Recommending a 9400(F) to someone that wants shit to last for six+ years
The best upgrade that chipset is getting is the 9900KFC, and that's going to get mitigated to hell. The 3700x is the correct choice unless he plans to upgrade only his CPU later, in which case the 3600 is the better play.

Attached: bootlicker.jpg (960x840, 58K)

You can really tell everyone was tired of Intel because it seems like the whole fucking planet had the same build plan. I might as well Just Wait until ryzen 4000 at this point

I just bought a 2060 FE boys. I can finally use my fucking PC