Evaluating mpv's upscaling algorithms:
artoriuz.github.io/mpv_upscaling.html

Attached: mpv-gui.png (1280x720, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

svp-team.com/wiki/SVP3:Watching_anime
pastebin.com/FR0tkGfY
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
youtu.be/JBHwmu6DFHs
raw.githubusercontent.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/xor/home/nand/.mpv/shaders/filmgrain.glsl
haasn.xyz/posts/2017-10-05-how-to-benchmark-mpvs-raw-throughput.html
github.com/422658476/MPV-EASY-Player/tree/master/mpv-easy-data/osc-style
iamscum.wordpress.com/guides/videoplayback-guide/mpv-conf/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reminder that Anime4K is not an upscaler and ignore all shills posting about it

Here's a hot MPV Pro Tip™

F1 cycle border

Put that in your input.conf to toggle borderless mode.

>can't send HDR metadata to 4K HDR displays
How am I supposed to take this player seriously when even madVR could do this for years? Hell I think even VLC has this

Advanced High Video Quality Conifg

profile=gpu-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp

best config for anime on a 4K TV on a RTX 2060?

Please bear with me for a second /mpv/ this isn't anything to do with mpv really, but this is the best place I can think where people would care about this, and can actually tell me where I'm wrong, if I am, This might be basic idea guy bullshit/already exists/whatever.

We've all seen 60fps anime, and we all know it's stupid because it causes some frames to have artifacting. But we also know that motion interpolation works great on simple movement like panning shots, and anime has a fuckton of those.
Couldn't we make a neural network thing to recognize video segments that would work great with interpolation, and make something like a chapter file for it?
From there you can either encode a "variable framerate" anime or just run it live with the interpolation turning on and off based on the chapter file.

Obviously this is for anime only, but I really don't see why it couldn't work.

>having borders ever
Borderless is just better; no need for a toggle

The problem what kind of metric are you going to feed into the ML algorithm to see which shots are good or bad? PSNR? SSIM? PEVQ? All of them in some combination? What cutoff are you going to use?

In my opinion, it's just something that is hard to toss to an algorithm and get great results. It will work, but probably give you garbage without any hopes of improvements.

haha nigga wtf is this?

Attached: Screenshot_10.png (970x586, 937K)

as I understand it the issue with the 60fps thing for anime is because of the sheer amount of difference between frames, if someone could figure out how to combat that the result should be a lot better
svp-team.com/wiki/SVP3:Watching_anime

what's the input name of scroll button click?

># Keybindings testing mode: mpv --input-test --force-window --idle

there could be improvements, but unless you make an AI to literally draw inbetweens it's always gonna be flawed.
also consider that anime sometimes deliberately goes for the low fps look, an interpolation ruins those parts.
i would only focus on linear motion since that's 100% predictable and those 12 fps panning shots are the main reason anyone even wants interpolation.

>panning shots
60fps panning shots give me headache and look lik flash animations

is "looks like flash" the "looks like a soap opera" of 2d?

I don't know but I saw Monster's rip for NETFLIX I think it was and it was 30fps and it had the worst panning I've ever seen, looked like a flash animation, 60fps should be must worse.

profile=gpu-hq
hwdec=d3d11va
gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
deband=no
deband-iterations=4
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=0
glsl-shader="~~/Shaders\FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
glsl-shader="~~/Shaders\SSimSuperRes.glsl"
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation=yes
tscale=box
tscale-window=sphinx
tscale-radius=1.0
tscale-clamp=0.0

Full mpv.conf
pastebin.com/FR0tkGfY

maybe get a bigger sample size
download some 60fps shit, and compare the panning shots to the originals, for me they look better.

srsfckn is very outdated. Use shinchiro for Windows builds
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

is there original anime 60fps? I've seen some convertions on youtube youtu.be/JBHwmu6DFHs

it looks like something not worth the trouble desu,

Best config for scaling my 720p anime into 1080p? I'm already using these

Attached: Mahou_Shoujo_Tokushusen_Asuka_27.jpg (3017x1080, 1.13M)

that video is the best example of what you shouldn't convert to 60fps
lots of complex motion with the algorithm basically guessing more than half of the video
what i'm talking about is doing interpolation for linear motion only.

>doing interpolation for linear motion only
but you can see a scene with linear motion in that video and it doesn't look better, looks like a flash animation

okay, i guess this might be another personal preference thing like muh grain
still there's clearly a demand for it

grain is actually good for slight banding but people overuse it.

bump

It's not a bug. It's a feature.

>cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
placebo

Why not just download 1080p anime instead?

how do you NEVER download subs with youtubedl?

Updated
profile=gpu-hq
hwdec=d3d11va
gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
deband=no
deband-iterations=4
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=0
glsl-shader="~~/Shaders\SSimDownscaler.glsl"
video-sync=audio

Honestly, Interpolation to 60 fps makes anime look worse.

nice tip

gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
hwdec=d3d11va
profile=gpu-hq
video-sync=display-resample
glsl-shader="~~/FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
glsl-shader="~~/SSimSuperRes.glsl"

MBTN_MID

That's because lachs0r only does release versions for some reason (0.27, 0.28, 0.29). Obviously you should use shinchiro if you want the latest releases.

For 720p->1080p you want SSimDownscaler too, assuming quality is all you care about.

that is why instead of enabling interpolation by default, you should make it an option. Copy this code to the input.conf: n cycle interpolation ; no-osd set tscale "box" ; no-osd set t-scale-window "sphinx" ; no-osd set tscale-radius "1.0" ; no-osd set tscale-clamp "0.0"

video-sync=audio is default; you might as well make it display-resample so you can enable interpolation when you want like the other user says

How can I cycle *only* video tracks (not switching to no video at the end)?

You can also put all tscale settings in your mpv.conf and only cycle interpolation.

Will this work to change video-sync to display-resample with that, since video-sync=audio makes all interpolation settings useless
t no-osd set video-sync display-resample ; cycle interpolation ; no-osd set tscale "box" ; no-osd set t-scale-window "sphinx" ; no-osd set tscale-radius "1.0" ; no-osd set tscale-clamp "0.0"

A large chunk of anime today is still made at 720p and upscaled to 1080p. Pretty sure that there are better upscalers than the ones that nips use.

Eh. Changing the syncing mode mid video is possible, but rather buggy.

That was so in past. Right now, most anime are made above 720p res, so its better to download the 1080p version. You can even see the difference in quality between 1080p and 720p easily.

I ended up binding keys to each track with lua like:
function track1_fn()
mp.set_property("video","1")
end
mp.add_key_binding("b", track1_fn)

It's not that simple. The nips are reencoding straight from the master, and unlike your media player they aren't limited by realtime playback speed. For stream rips, bitrate has to be considered, with 1080p streams often having higher bpp than 720p ones. For BDs, those already come upscaled, so any "720p BD" release is a downscale of an upscale which you're then upscaling again. What said is also true, with many shows you're not getting native res no matter what.
As a rule of thumb, you're better off grabbing 1080p. Assuming size isn't an issue and no other encoding fuckups happened along the way.

I'd be surprised if the 720p thing still holds true now that anime has become widely available in the west not just on CR.

What are those 4 apps? I only recognise the top left (mpv)

I like this picture very much.

Look at the front-ends section of the OP

Why does d3d11 has lower VSync jitter(better) than vulkan?

Attached: d3d11.jpg (1280x720, 481K)

Also vulkan timings fix when?
It just a bunch of zeros.

Attached: vulkan.jpg (1280x720, 502K)

Latest mpv.net has no audio.
Wtf is this?

What is the best sharpener available for mpv? Is there a better solution than adaptive-sharpen?

>Is there a better solution than adaptive-sharpen?
No, adaptive-sharpen is already pretty good.

Probably because it's native to windows and is more optimized.

instantly adds SOUL to SOULLESS digital movies

raw.githubusercontent.com/haasn/gentoo-conf/xor/home/nand/.mpv/shaders/filmgrain.glsl

Attached: 1547045611824.jpg (1920x1606, 526K)

ridiculous

if you want all that grain download the remux

the downscale of an upscale thing also applies for TV, CR only gets 1080p from the studio, and they downscale it themselves. would you trust them to not fuck it up?

I think AdaptiveSharpen is the only dedicated sharpener available for mpv.
Maybe CAS has potential but it's yet to be ported anywhere but ReShade.

why the fuck would you do that on purpose?

Downloading a remux doesn't magically add grain if it's shot on digital.

Please someone explain to me why this is greatest media player?

I installed recently and it is fine and all, but it is nothing special. I understand VLC gets some weird effects on the video sometimes, but it is not often and MPV does not support playlists, or other basic features.

Follow the links in the OP. Specifically the manual and userscript/shader links. Then realize mpv is capable of much more.

Thanks user, to be honest I don't fuck with stuff like userscripts usually, I just find an app that's got what I want and download it. MPV is great as a player for sure and it's interface is better than VLC (no accidental up volume when I brush on my trackpad).

>grain bad *eats tidepod*

Attached: vagabond.jpg (1792x1080, 629K)

It wasn't a rhetorical question.
Why would you add grain to something that looks good already?

There's also LumaSharpenHook and now that god awful Anime4K. Both inferior to adaptive-sharpen from what I've seen. Not sure if ffmpeg has any dedicated sharpening filters.

works on my machine

Attached: mpvnet.png (256x256, 8K)

Version 4.3 ( previous that I was using) works
This one doesn't
Both portable.

then roll-back to the previous version.

Already did

Me too, user. I made it yesterday. Took inspiration from this.

Attached: mpv1.png (454x266, 30K)

vo=caca

>Also vulkan timings fix when?
IIRC because of the way libplacebo works, this would be extremely tricky to implement and probably won't ever happen.

There's always this I guess

haasn.xyz/posts/2017-10-05-how-to-benchmark-mpvs-raw-throughput.html

bamp

on-screen-controller styles by rjno1

github.com/422658476/MPV-EASY-Player/tree/master/mpv-easy-data/osc-style

Attached: mpvnet-osc.png (982x552, 1.19M)

Think again, user.

>A slightly sharpened version of ewa_lanczos, preconfigured to use an ideal radius and parameter. If your hardware can run it, this is probably what you should use by default.

How do you stop mpvnet from asking if you wanna play a youtube video every time you have a url copied in your clipboard?

Go to the Config editor/General/url-whitelist and type Default.

So is there no way you can customize PGS subtitle size at ALL? I tried sub-scale but it didn't do shit.

I know it says "styling and positioning" don't work but I wouldn't consider size to equal style. How hard can it be to scale down an image?

mpv video playback guide:
iamscum.wordpress.com/guides/videoplayback-guide/mpv-conf/

I want the playlist to now show up when I cycle to the next file. Can someone help me with this?

Just switched to Windows on my desktop after five years of Debian.

How to I edit (and where even is) mpv.conf on Windows. It seems to be a standalone program, but I don’t see anywhere I can edit to allow parameters where as I’d used to be able to open a shell and nano /etc/mpv/mpv.conf.

It's hard to believe you can't figure this shit out after you claim to have used debian for 5 years.
You make mpv.conf with a text editor. Put it in the same folder as mpv.exe or in appdata.

PGDWN playlist-next; show-text ${playlist}

thanks

This is just "vinyl sounds warmer" hipster shit except for video.

Brainlet with this, is there anyway to not use video-sync=display-resample for non-fullscreen media? It drops frames on windowed videos and viewing short .webms in fullscreen is dumb.

bls help you guys are way better at this than I am

So, someone told me dither-depth is auto by deafult, when its actually no.
profile=gpu-hq
hwdec=d3d11va
gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
dither-depth=auto
dither=fruit
deband=no
deband-iterations=4
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=0
glsl-shader="~~/Shaders\SSimDownscaler.glsl"

And for interploation, in input.conf.

Nigger windows is fucking retarded with dealing in installed programs

i don't care what the manual says, it's still placebo
cscale=spline36 is enough

Also I set deband=yes

Create a portable_config folder inside mpv directory. Put mpv.conf and input.conf inside it. Scripts in portable_config\Scripts etc.

If you use shinchiro's build, just create mpv.conf and input.conf (if you want to edit hotkeys) in the same directory where mpv executable file is.
Might want to enable display of file extensions in Windows to make it easier. (open explorer/this PC -> top left View -> check File name extensions).

that's what your mother said

Still getting dropped frames due to SSimDownscaler.
profile=gpu-hq
hwdec=d3d11va
gpu-api=d3d11
gpu-context=d3d11
dither-depth=auto
dither=fruit
deband=yes
deband-iterations=4
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=0