Interviewer here

Interviewer here

How can I figure out if the candidate knows how to write clean code? Assume they have no github.

Attached: yeeezzz.jpg (615x441, 65K)

fizz buzz

Ask him to write some code, fagget

Just curious, in interviews are you expected to write comments for your code?

>writing comments ever

no that would be retarded

fizzbuzz is too easy

okay what

basic array sort mechanisms, easy to do in 5 mins, hard to make clean and readable. Ask them what a link-list is, make them create an object with a constructor that grids something idunno

Come up with a simple problem - something they can write out on paper - that includes repetition or interconnected bits.
If they write the same code over and over, that's a problem.
If they correctly identify that, and separate it out into its own function, that's a promising first step.

Think a basic stats calculator. Given an array of numbers, calculate the average, variance, and standard deviation.
Variance depends on average, so they would ideally put it in its own function.
Standard deviation depends on variance.

I'd say that alone would weed out ~40% of applicants.

>clean code
You have fallen for the FAANG meme. If the guy can work, just hire him.

or if I wanted someone who calculates the standard deviation I'd just hire a statistician who is fully adaptable in R.

it's not about them knowing stats, it's about them knowing how to write 15 lines of code.

if they dont have github auto-fail
then check the github of the remaining ones

unfortunately I don't have the luxury of picking the candidates, I can only interview them

this might work

>How can I figure out if the candidate knows how to write clean code?
You really don't. Call references, talk with previous / current employers and ask about it.

This is not a thing. Employers will confirm working dates and that's it. Liability is insane if you say anything negative.

>Assume they have no github.
No repos, no interview.

not everyone is a NEET like you, some of us have absolutely no interest in coding outside of work and or school

>some of us have absolutely no interest in coding outside of work and or school
You're in the wrong industry then.

>they have no github
they can't write clean code. simple as that

Employers are well versed in "double-speak"
>he always tried his best.
Didn't succeed though.
>Integral part of office social sphere.
Wastes time gossiping/smalltalking.
>Creatively solves problems.
Doesn't adhere to standards, does quick and dirty fixes.
Etc.

How big is your corp? Get them to do this.

Attached: discord.png (718x383, 157K)

After one month your code may as well be someone else's code. Always comment heavily. If you want job security, you can always encrypt/cypher your comments.

One of the places I used to work asked for a basic bit of code as part of the screening process.
Can't quite remember the actual problem to be solved but it was around the Fibonacci sequence.
The catch was if you didn't include tests in your submission you got ignored instantly, which is absolutely retarded.

Yes, which is why almost all companies have a policy of saying literally NOTHING, whether you were good or bad. That transparent double speak shit can still lead to lawsuits.

Every company I've ever been at will just confirm the dates you worked there -- that's it.