Get a new job

>get a new job
>Everyone uses a different code style
>Both camel case and snake case. Different functions have different indentation. Some lines are 200 characters long
Should I clean this mess, even though I'm the new guy and haven't made any major contribution yet?
Should I just ignore and go along?

Attached: 1562907307703.jpg (622x621, 70K)

kot

кoт

Your best bet is to email everyone in the office and copy management on why they are wrong and you are right. should be 500 words minimum. make sure you call a few specific people out by name and that you end the email abruptly so they know you aren't messing around.

Kot.

>Some lines are 200 characters long
rm -rf

Attached: 1505160192792.jpg (302x282, 21K)

report them all to ICE

Yeah, right. And ask for a code of conduct too?
More realistically I may make a thread on the slack to get the temperature on what the other guys think, and see if they are interested in a style guide.

ah, so these are the kinds of places Jow Forums posters get hired at

don't jump into right after you get hired, cause you'll just look like an asshole. so here's what you do. recommend they use a linter. drop in your own configuration file and insist all of the settings are defaults and can't be changed. trust me, with the people you seem to be working with, it'll work. then, not only must all the code be fixed, but they must bend every stylistic choice to your satisfy your every stylistic whim

Tbh it's not a big company, it's a startup.
They are mostly doing mechanical stuff and the firmware is basically interns building upon the work of other interns.
The code is in C and C++. What about using the Google style guide? It's popular so it's easily available on both emacs and vim. But most of the other guys use visual studio.

yes, you can use whatever style guide you want in a linter. clang-tidy works. it can be added to your CI and forced upon your coworkers lest the tests fail

unless you don't utilize CI, which somehow seems likely

K&R, 8 spaces

CI? CodeIgniter? What does this web stuff have to do?
I just use vanilla emacs with those clang packages that automatically format your stuff according to a style guide.

I use the Google style on my private stuff. Basiy K&R with 2 spaces

>2 spaces
Indentation exist for a good reason. You're not being clever by "not wasting space".

Yeah, and 2 is enough. Especially if you value descriptive variable names.

... no, continuous integration

so if you're using git, any merges into a certain branch, for example, will automatically be built and tested. If the code doesn't build and the tests don't pass, the software doesn't go out. part of these tests can be a linter, which enforces and checks for style-guide correctness

You clearly do not understand its purpose. Perhaps when you have to clean up the mess you've made you'll make better decisions.

literally who cares you autismo

lol no
don't do shit unless you know you'll get paid extra for it

This. You're only allowed to make cosmetic changes that no one is asking for if you're a tranny. But you sound like one though. So good luck.

Introduce a company code style and ask everyone to install Prettier and follow AirBNB's recommendations.

You're welcome

Its not purely cosmetic if it makes the code easier to work with, breaking the 200 character lines down and fixing up the code would result in better productivity down the line.

I'd say help with the mess, make every variable look like VaRiAbLe or some shit just to annoy the others.

Attached: 208.jpg (1596x1600, 84K)

Softwrap your editor if you're that autistic about line length

Kot

You have been visited by the Laura of not great, not terrible threads.

This thread is currently reading 24 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 108K)