Xfce is the best

>Gnome
>lacks everything you need in a DE, looks like a zoomer tablet device, heavy resources, dickhead devs
>KDE
>The complete reverse of gnome, too many options that I don't care nor do I need to use
>LXQT getting there but it's still quite buggy especially when you try to customize it.
>WMs were nice to try some of them but in the end I found they offer no advantages over Xfce
>Xfce
>Absolutely stable and reliable, it's the Debian stable/CentOS of desktop environments. Takes ages for a new version to show up but once it does it just works because it's heavily tested and re-tested
>Lightweight
>Doesn't get in the way
>Can make it usable without the mouse
>High customization capacities
>Works on any machine
>No breakages

Attached: Xfce.png (300x300, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~unit193/ archive/ubuntu/xfce
launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/ archive/ubuntu/sru-staging
linuxconfig.org/install-packages-from-an-ubuntu-ppa-on-debian-linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Absolutely based and boomerpilled

Gnome is perfect out of the box, nice flat design, no screen tearing. XFCE has some shit vsynch that makes you microstutter and looks like garbage. No I'm not theme-ing it, it's 2019, make it flat by default.

its not a real desktop dosent take a gig of wam

Gnome 3 is trash

what does flat do better than usable?

Agreed. I wish they'd add a minimal installation option in Xubuntu like they have with stock Ubuntu (Gnome) and Kubuntu.

Attached: pMgbB.png (1920x1008, 284K)

Ubuntu's rendition is fine, nothing wrong with it.
>usable?
What? Well it's more minimalistic. It takes effort to make quality skeumorphic buttons, so either do it or don't even try (aka flat). I absolutely hate buttons with gradients.

>xfeces

>Ubuntu's rendition is fine, nothing wrong with it.
Ubuntu's Gnome 3 looks nice, but the desktop is simply not intuitive. Traditional desktops like Xfce or KDE are better imo.

Install with netboot and choose xfce as de

It's more macintosh, sort of expose - to zoom out on all windows.

>Gnome
>lacks everything you need in a DE
like what?

Gradients are patrician though
>skeumorphic
Plastic shit that looked fake and ugly 10 years ago
>flat
Made by a kindergardener in 5 minutes

>gtk
dropped

For me, its LXQT

>Putting everything into a greentext like a faggot
Yes xfce is the best. Imo I would say lxde and lxqt come in second along with i3.

>Gradients
Look like trash and don't mix with anything. It's like wearing hugo boss shirt with clown coat on top. Trash.
>in 5 minutes
That's the beauty of it, I don't want to even notice the window buttons unless I look for them. Rather they fade into the background.

Enjoy your screen tearing, retards.

>tearing and stutter
Hasn't that been fixed with 4.14?

Only for intel hd.

>don't mix with anything
Use a gradient wallpaper
Use a flat taskbar
Suddenly, magic
>they fade into the background
Why the fuck would you want an INTERACTIVE element to fade into an UNINTERACTIVE background?

Soooo I'll still have to rely on Compton if I ever upgrade?

>meme3
Dwm shits on anything that isn't XFCE.

>flat design

Attached: 5a7.png (377x485, 215K)

they did one thing right, keeping the layout modular and oldschool while improving everything else, without rewriting everything into a totally different DE.

Can you achieve some kind of primitive stacking with xfce?
Can you manage to auto start some softwares in different virtual desktops. Say, start emacsclient and Firefox in desktop 1, Thunderbird in desktop 2, slack in desktop 3
Does it integrates well with Google drive?
I'm a prospective user. At home I use Arch and i3 but I'm hiding my power level at work and they basically use Google services for everything

Yeah that's nice but:
>4.14 Debian when??

I'm using it right now and it won't even use 2 gb of memory and looks decent.
Its the best.

>KDE
>The complete reverse of gnome, too many options that I don't care nor do I need to use
Well then just don't use them. It's "simple by default".

yeah but since they went full retard with gtk3 now the menu lists are often truncated ugh literally for what purpose

Is It good yet? I was a big fan of lxde when my only computer was a P4tato.

>Gnome (sic)
>lacks everything you need in a DE
like what? I'm literally lacking nothing that I get with KDE or if I wanted less features Xfce
>looks like a zoomer tablet device
Adwaita looks great, I install a tweaked version tho.
>heavy resources
don't you have 8+GB of RAM in 2019? Or are you seriously telling me you're getting by with dickhead devs
Based devs keeping it consistent instead of adding every requested feature (or it would become a different DE)

this is true

>Gnome 3 is trash
not true, GNOME is the best desktop for GNU/Linux. I've tried (almost) every one of them, but I keep coming back to comfy GNOME.

>liking Yaru
>being a baby duck and not able to cope (seething) with a slightly different metaphor

any distros besides meme ones that have 4.14 in them? I only see Arch, Magiea, and Gentoo. Probably will take a couple years to hit Debian stable, which Xfce users seem to love.

>by default it includes a [=] on the corner of your desktop that requires you going into the options under tweaks to remove. What does it do? the exact same thing as right click -> configure desktop
KDE is a mess.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-16 07-19-38.png (987x679, 56K)

That piece of shit hasn't been updated in years. Anyone who recommends that are in denial.

>xfce
>still no built-in start menu search bar
Sorry but that's a must have to me. For that reason my favorite one is lxqt, nevertheless needs more polishing.

>but muh whisker menu
That's cancer

If anyobody knows an alternative to whisker menu let me know.

Gnome is trash you tranny

Its still spotty, Im hopingg theres some changes included when Lubuntu 20.04 comes out

KDE is the white man's choice until LXQt get's its shit together.
Anything GTK based is for niggers.

Functional Filepicker with Thumbnails.
Dolphin > Thunar
KDEconnect

Arch+XFCE reporting in
werksonmymachine.png
>crumbleweed
>gnome
>talking shit about KDE, let alone XFCE
you must be Stephen Hawking because you have no leg to stand on

>projecting
>because I like the same desktop as the CREATOR OF LINUX uses

>Arch fag throwing shade
lol
>MOM! CANCEL MY MEETINGS! pacman broke xorg again!

Attached: linuswithmacbookwaifu.jpg (582x415, 44K)

>coping this hard
>using a DE for foot fetishist
dialate harder tranny

I don't know in which state is compton but there are tons of software running on your distro that hasn't been updated in years and works fine

But the creator of GNU is using trisquel which i think uses xfce. Linux is nothing without GNU.

It does the trick for me, updated or not
It's not like my hardware is exactly bleeding edge either.

iirc the next release of xubuntu will ship with 4.14
As a Debian stable user I'm genuinely considering the jump to something else purely for 4.14

What's wrong with Whisker menu?
It does the job well

Last I used XFCE it's file manager Thunar was horrible. It didn't show thumbnail, it wouldn't connect and browse network shares either Samba or NFS and overall felt like it was decades old in terms of function. Is this still the case?

it has thumbs now, but i don't use net drives so i couldn't tell you about that.

Thunar works fine for me
Can't comment on the network since I don't have anything up there, but as far as thumbnails go, it's working just fine
Albeit it doesn't show the thumbnails embedded in the RAW files from my DSLR, but that's asking a bit much

did they ever fix that exploit from awhile back? the one that grants access on a root level without the need for a password. i switched to gnome because of it, ifs not the best thing in the world but gnome with all in one panel extension is alright.

Flat is for lolis, not user interfaces.

what the heck is a loli? like a lolipop? ehy would you want a flat lolipop?

MATE is the best, XFCE is useless now with GTK3

lazy bump

What's the controversy of GTK3 about?
Will I not be able to recreate my very basic aesthetic with the eventual upgrade to 4.14?

Attached: xfce.png (1366x768, 1.08M)

Maybe on buster-backports at some point but you know it is, they test to exhaustion so if you can't wait for 4.14 I'd say to upgrade to testing when it's there or Xubuntu in April. Thing is Ubuntu even LTS doesn't handle a candle to Debian, it's just Debian Unstable/testing packages with long support and half the testing stable gets. That's why I won't/never switched from Debian to Ubuntu. But yeah, the problem with Debian is that while you never wake up worried about what update/upgrade did, you miss some shiny new "toys".

>LXQT getting there
you gotta try the most recent release and use daily updates for some of the core components to get the full experience, but if you do that, it's finally on a par with xfce. both are fucking great and have very similar philosophies. lxqt feels like kde ultra-lite, and xfce feels like gnome2 done right. both are the most sane DEs available if you don't want locked down half-baked bullshit, or a byzantine mess of settings that takes a whole day to plow through.

>>lacks everything you need in a DE,
it has infinite workspaces and windows shortcuts and an easy way to find files and programs.
Somehow it lacks something people use on their computer?

It's functional but ugly as fuck and lacks personalization options. I'm more familiar with start menu designs feautred in Windows xp, 7, and lxqt. Even cinnamon start menu looks better to me.

Not him, but I used to get jealous of other distros getting shiny new toys, but no matter what distro I hopped to, I always came back to debian. It literally just works.

>start menu designs feautred in Windows xp, 7
while i do prefer lxqt's start menu (fast, straightforward, searchable and gets the job done), whisker menu is much closer to the start menu in xp and 7.

Compton is trash, it has 10 configurations for vsynch each with its own problems.

dwm is fucking trash, imagine having to configure a piece of software to make it work.

wdym lacks personalization options?
You can use Menulibre to change what's in the menus and their names & icons
Replacing the icon next to your name is just a matter of adding a picture named .face to your home folder and just the Whisker menu by itself has a good amount of options. And additional tweaks to the Whisker menu depend on your theme anyways, so you can fiddle with that.

I'd say that's pretty powerful

All vsync implementations that are not provided by the hardware vendor have notable flaws. Compton is no worse than KWin, Compiz, or Xfce's compositor. Compton is actually better than muffin and mutter ta boot (as it's highly configurable). The multiple vsync options in Compton exist because the developer was considerate enough to care about users with different setups than his. Further, if you're using the latest graphics drivers for you GPU, Compton often does not even need vsync explicitly enabled, as its glx backend will eliminate tearing for most users OOTB. Further, Compton enables users of window managers to take advantage of tear-free opengl compositing, without having to install a bloated DE-specific compositor.

Tldr: It is common knowledge that all compositors have flawed / hackish implementations of vsync. Vsync is supposed to be provided by the hardware vendor's driver. Compton is no worse than any other lignux compositor, and better than a few of them.

>Can make it usable without the mouse
How?

>>The complete reverse of gnome, too many options that I don't care nor do I need to use
I've never understood this "complaint". Ermagherd too many options!! Like you literally can just ignore them if having a couple of choices is too much for your poor little brain. Just use the defaults and pretend the options aren't even there.
Plus KDE has plenty of actual issues that aren't some tryhard whining about options.

he cute

What distro uses XFCE 4.14 now so I could try it out of the box?

linux mx

KDE is the only thing that has everything you need. Many times when people go "Linux sucks, it can't even do ___", it's simply because they are using literally any DE apart from KDE.

I actually prefer xfwm gtk2 over gtk3. The gtk2 version is for some reason much faster and responsive.

I don't mind the screen tearing as i have a 165 hz monitor and don't see it anyways.

I would also like to know

You can update to the latest Xfce on any distro. On most rolling release distros you don't have to do anything but update as per usual. If it's not in the repo today, it will be within 24-72 hours.

If you are using xubuntu / ubuntu (or any derivation), the two PPAs you can choose from to get the latest Xfce are as follows:
1. launchpad.net/~unit193/ archive/ubuntu/xfce

2. launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/ archive/ubuntu/sru-staging

PPAs can be made to work in plain Debian as well, via the instructions here: linuxconfig.org/install-packages-from-an-ubuntu-ppa-on-debian-linux

Xfce 4.14 will be included in the repos of most distros (both rolling and non-rolling), but of-course distros of the latter type will get access to it earlier without having to make any changes. I am sure Slackware (which prefers Xfce) will even be getting it soon.

>linux sucks, it can't even not crash all the fucking time

Nearly anyone who uses lignux as a daily driver does so at-least in part due to its stability. You have not the slightest clue what you are talking about, and clearly have never made it past the install screen of any distribution. My router runs lignux (open-wrt), and is always on. Always. I've been using lignux as a daily driver for over 10 years now on my laptops, and have never had a crash that didn't involve user error (like spilling a glass of seltzer on one of my boxes, or stupidly making use of an unstable repository that replaced a bunch of system components without inspecting the readme).

Gnome's fine.

Now that its compositor finally fucking works and doesn't tear, it is indeed perfect.

Also on AMD.
Only nvidia has tearing now

The windows manager allows some basic tilling through shortcuts.
Personally I work with 5 workspaces and the shortcuts super(Windows)+ u,i,o,j,l,n,m,',' for position and super + k to toggle maximizing. Moving and sending among workspaces same as i3 defaults
The only problem is the obvious superposition of the windows and the inability of moving among windows in the workspace directionally, tabing among them is quite a step back.

How do your Xfce desktops look?

Attached: Bildschirmfoto_2019-08-16_21-37-56.png (1920x1080, 38K)

About ram consumption, mate is better than xfce

It's either cinnamon or budgie for me bros

trisquel uses mate by default and lxde in the mini edition. trisquel mini is easily the most polished lightweight distro i've tried.

>netflix
>spotify
>whatsap
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

use whatever makes you happy, once Microsoft releases WSL2 gnu linux as a desktop operating system is done for

>takes 4 years to get bug fixes

screen tearing is the fault of companies like nvidia and intel, which forced lignux desktop environments into creating workarounds in their compositors to resolve it. nvidia only recently fixed this issue with proper vsync, and intel still hasn't. it's still good that xfce has provided a compositor with an option to prevent such tearing, but they shouldn't have had to.

these programs are like Ubuntu and Xfce, they JustWerk™

>shouldn't have to provide a compositor
>should just live with screen tearing
Xfeces proponents, ladies and gentlemen

>didn't understand what i wrote
>is a fucking moron
winbabbies, ladies and Jow Forumsentoomen

>they shouldn't have had to... [provide] a compositor
Are you retarded. A compositor is necessary for a GPU accelerated desktop. Windows has it, macOS has it, GNOME and KDE have it, Xfeces is finally getting around to it.

Let me guess, you use a window manager without compositing and don't experience screen tearing (you do).

>no screen tearing
Wayland does not have this problem

are you a subliterate esl student?

>it's still good that xfce has provided a compositor with an option to prevent such tearing
>with an option to prevent such tearing
>but they should have had to
^that's the key clause

not once did i say that compositors are unnecessary, and xfce has long had compositing. they just recently added a feature which fixes screen tearing for those who suffer from it (due to gpu manufacturer negligence), you brainfucked mungeon.

So they should have just kept with their shitty broken compositor? Try to proof read when accusing others of being "subliterate esl students".

Blaming the graphics drivers for something that only was ever a problem for Xfce is braindead.

screen tearing was never only an issue with xfce. under intel and nvidia it has been an issue on most compositors OOTB (compiz still has issues with tearing on intel chips, along with mutter and kwin depending on settings). further, the vsync workarounds some DE and compositor devs have tried to implement do not work for every user. nvidia fixed tearing with the last few driver releases. intel could do the same.

never, not once, did i even remotely imply that they shouldn't have implemented a fix. i simply stated they shouldn't have *had* to. lignux DE and compositor devs ideally should not be forced to work around the negligence of companies like nvidia and intel. of-course you flipped out and began strawmanning all over the place, because you lack basic reading comprehension, like most underage faggots do.

>gtk3
Enjoy your 700MiB idle RAM usage faggot

how do you install whatsapp? wine?

How come boomers don't know about MATE? I agree that Ubuntu is best with XFCE but MATE is the best anywhere else.
MATE > XFCE > KDE > Cinnamon > Gnome
LXQT is a bad meme

www.facebook.com