/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?&v=IhX0fOUYd8Q

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does. OR upscale from lower resolution with RIS
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come this week. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Attached: 2019-06-10-image-38.jpg (2500x1406, 318K)

Other urls found in this thread:

outletpc.com/tr9234.html?utm_source=tr9234&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_content=AMD+-+zOOS&sscid=81k3_f5la9
youtu.be/hPoelBg7Ht4?t=11
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

:-(

Attached: 1562666530056.png (1302x688, 73K)

(Higher is better)

avoid Asrock and MSI motherboards

But why?

Many people have had issues using new Ryzens with old mobos

Do NOT buy the 5700 or 5700xt reference models. They're as fuck and the xt is a housefire.

reasking

what do you get more from nvidia founders edition cards?
is it worth the premium?
asking nvidia fanboys

Do not buy anything.

You get coil whine.

>322W
guess i'm not buying a 9900k, don't want to buy a new PSU because these retards can't into efficiency

>AMD takes over the market
>Computers become known as "Navi"s
>Lain becomes a prophetic story
>Loli internet God becomes our savior

Higher binned chips but slightly worse coolers. So unless you just like the look no point paying for the premium.

but that value for money...

I have a b350 tomahawk and a 3900x sitting in it. My cinebench 20 has a higher score on average than some of the benches I see from reviewers.

If we're talking about not having a 1xxx or 2xxx ryzen CPU in order to apply the BIOS itself to get 3xxx working then absolutely that shit would be infuriating to deal with. Alternatively raid bullshit and or bad luck itself has struck a lot of other people down, which is always a plausible explanation when it comes to PCs.

But I mean if you own a b350 at this point you almost assuredly have a ryzen that can apply the new bios.

isn't the higher bin comparable to a higher factory OC'd custom card?
it kinda justifies the premium?

I'm still so devastated that my 980ti died in november. I'm on my back up 760 since then.
I know this is the worst possible time to buy a new GPU. If you look at the xbox one/ps4 and xbx and ps4 pro launches the 750ti was equal to the base consoles and the 570 to the x and pro.
Look how fast those cards fell off the stack Meanwhile today the 2060 super/2070 super/5700xt are being suggested for 1440p. They're going to be as slow as a 570 is today in 2 years. The difference was the 750ti and 570 were priced correctly while this generation from both nvidia and amd are literally objectively twice as much money.

Attached: 1542295194267.jpg (900x1200, 221K)

I can't help but think that a lot of these BIOS problems are from people who are doing it wrong. Updating from Windows, not resetting to default beforehand, not knowing what XMP means, etc

HURRY

outletpc.com/tr9234.html?utm_source=tr9234&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_content=AMD+-+zOOS&sscid=81k3_f5la9

If you're very much into overclocking and remove the default cooler to put your own custom one, maybe. And even then it isn't that big of a boost.
For the majority of cases I would say it's not worth it but if you're the above, why not I guess. You're at least assured a higher standard of performances, relative to the rest of the line-up.

can you guys recommend me a 27 monitor to use with a 2070s for around $250?

>Meanwhile today the 2060 super/2070 super/5700xt are being suggested for 1440p. They're going to be as slow as a 570 is today in 2 years
use them for 1080p, they'll last longer
ok thanks

which of these monitors should i get for gaming:

MSI Optix MAG241C which is a 23.6" curved VA or AOC G2460PF which is 24" flat TN

they both have 1ms response time. is there still more lag on the VA and if yes is it bad enough to never buy VA for gaming?

ill take alternatives for 1080p@144hz in this price bracket (~200€) too. Thank you!

Attached: 1535273881927.png (500x500, 151K)

Ordered gpu, ram and heatsink on amazon while it was all in stock and sold and distributed by amazon. I got charged and its been stuck on waiting on dispatch for 2 weeks.

Anyone else had problems with amazon like this?

see

give them a call

lol, good to see im not the only one who thinks picking a monitor is the worst.

>I'm prepping to BTFO anti-amd autist.
Again I welcome it, the more people test this stuff the better.
>AND imagine what, tw1 stutters on a 1070! quite noticeably too
What are of the game? Cause nobody cares if it stutters once during a loading screen.
Here is vega 64 while in a small area and moving back and forth.
Also please don't use Max frametime over 100ms as anything above that is bad and you really want to see how the frametime graph is like in the actual fps range that most people care about.
What I am saying is that currently you can only see couple of huge spikes, but you can't see how the frametime delivery is outside of that.

>frame buffer effects in KOTOR 1 do work on 1070 though, not that it makes game look any better but they do work
Yeah been confirmed by multiple people now.
But I though you were going to test AMD cards though?

>what else did he whine about? I need to prep while I got time and bored, I just had kotor 1 and witcher on gog took me 15 mins for both one sec il give you the list.

Attached: vega 64 on witcher 1.jpg (1919x1007, 206K)

based

Kotor 1, no framebuffer effects(stealth being trasnparent, lot of visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise game crashes and there is no other fix for it.

Witcher 1 has constant fps dips and unstable framerate, talking about a vega that's twice are powerful as a nvidia card, yet the nvidia card provides stable framerate and even higher fps.

Quantum break, under utilization with vega card, leading to constant dips in fps and lower over all performance.
Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps on the same settings.
Same shit with Vampyr, where the game would stutter consistently when moving around the city. While a lower power nvida GPU didn't have such issues and produced stable frametimes with no stutters , the over all fps was lower, but it didn't have this massive spikes as you moved around for instance around the hospital.

Games like Generals and Generals Zero hour, literally don't work.

Sacrifice has issues as well where there is constant stutter present.
Here is frametime graph from starting tutorial 1 and then moving around in circles and back and forth.

Attached: sacrifice on vega2.jpg (4712x1980, 1.88M)

I haven't had a gpu die on me since the early 00s, do gpus really still die on people, how common is that
also holy shit gpu pricing is retarded. I was looking at my financial records and for midrange cards I was paying $300-400 leafbucks a piece. nowadays midrange is like $700-800 leafbucks. fuck off nvidia god damn.

Attached: 5832014839214.gif (400x388, 247K)

Here is how the utilization

Attached: under utilization and spikes.jpg (3120x1996, 1.12M)

Thoughts on my RGB 1080p gaming build? Any recommendations/things I should change?

>Pricing is in AUD
>1080p gaming on mid-high settings

Attached: buildv1.jpg (1450x649, 87K)

I had one burn out a pci slot and its self. I had one go bad because of a bad chip, we soldered around it and it worked again. Got a couple DOA. Yeah, they tend to go back in the first 6 months if they are.

Buy the VA.
I have a sumsung 144Hz freesync and it's perfectly fine. TN in 2019 is for autists with really bad sight.

should I buy evga for their reasonably high overall quality but best return policies do you think

Attached: 13284128934701.jpg (1440x891, 123K)

enjoy your ghosting

Get TN, VA is the worst for gayming.

There are appropriate options to eliminate ghosting on my monitor.
I see absolutely no ghosting.
You're no different than the autists that only listen to 96khz/24bit audio using gold plated ethernet cables.

>>frame buffer effects in KOTOR 1 do work on 1070 though, not that it makes game look any better but they do work
Forgot to mention, it's important because it maskes things like stealthed units actually transparent. Without that effect stealthed units are entirely visible.
Start the game with Scoundrel and test the stealth to see the difference.

thanks user

Lastly I forgot to mention, those huge spikes look like you alt+tabed out of the game, is that so?
Because in my recording software if you alt+tab out of the game it will count that as a 1000+ ms frametime spike.
So if you are recording it please make sure to activate the program in the game after it finished loading.
Do not alt+tab out of the game during recording.
And lastly it be nice if you stop reccording before you move between levels and shit like that.
Hope this helps.

>There are appropriate options to eliminate ghosting on my monitor.
they always come with drawbacks, either they overshoot a lot or you're dealing with shit brightness/ contrast
>I see absolutely no ghosting.
when it becomes the norm you don't see it anymore

Wont matter who you buy it from. They all get their chips form the same people. PSA's and drives are the only things you can really be critical on.

PSU's* i mean.

So what is 3600's raison d'etre? Slower than a 9400f, more expensive than a 9400f.

Attached: 2454.png (1268x673, 207K)

but evga is supposed to have a great return system and good customer service, is that not true anymore
also don't they have good vrm, heatsink, fan design, or is that also not true anymore
I haven't bought a gpu in ages because of the crypto price gouge I don't know

>Cause nobody cares if it stutters once during a loading screen.
I had old saves and ran around temple and trade quarter for 10 minutes. it does stutter. it's been stuttering since 2008. and I went through 4 GPUs since then.

If I am used to a 27 inch 1080p monitor, is staying at that but getting 144hz a better option than spending like 200 dollars more on a 27 inch, 1440p/144hz monitor that will have worse performance in games? Getting a 2070 Super so it should be able to handle 1440p/144hz but the monitor cost ontop of that seems like a lot right now

>I had old saves and ran around temple and trade quarter for 10 minutes.
thats fine

> it does stutter. it's been stuttering since 2008. and I went through 4 GPUs since then.
Can you post the frametime graph that has 100ms as it's max?
Because the one you presented doesn't show the frametime output due to showing just those giant spikes.

Also

>Getting a 2070 Super so it should be able to handle 1440p/144hz
it only will handle old games and low quality settings to get those speeds, just a warning. what game are you playing mostly
personally for me 1440p high refresh is the sweet spot and I would say it's worth it

You don't buy a 3600 if you have a fucking 2080 ti and a 240Hz monitor, retard.

Modern games on medium details will do absolutely fine.

Check the return policy on the website you buy it from. If you are really paranoid, then buy an evga for its return policy. The GPU is the defining factor in any card anyways. Everything else is just fluff.

"no"

Wait for big Navi and take that 1440p monitor

Why not?

Send me money for amd mobo please

Gpucheck.com
Check your build, for 240hz you need to have 240fps minimum for benefits of your monitor.

Because you have the money to buy a 9900kfc or a 3900x

here, I dont have a save from the temple area but I do have of the fields.
Here is the fps graph, from standing around in the field and not moving around, just letting the software record.

Attached: witcher 1 on vega.jpg (1921x2085, 1.11M)

Yes maxwell was designed to fail after warranty expires by cheaping out on a power delivery component to get the exact number of hours of life out of it as they want. A cursory google search is enough to absolutely confirm that.
Not only are the prices double but the cards are a generation behind. In a competitive market a 2080ti-sized 7nm die(like +50% density aka perf) with 100% of that die dedicated to rasteration and not half being wasted on a feature you dont want would be $500. Said card would be 35-50% faster than a titan rtx.

Big Navi will be more expensive than you think

do you guys think nvidia is actually stagnating or are they sandbagging because of no competition?

5700XT AIB Worth upgrading to from an R9 290? I'd like something that can handle VR and 1440p ultrawide. But $500 for the 2070S is too steep for my $400 budget.

Attached: 1_5ru4iPpzPqUsVGZUFHsccg.png (1838x1067, 1.46M)

30/70 for sandbagging/stagnating
they are not making 550mm2 chips because they want to, say they go down to 350mm2 with 7nm, it will get hotter at this density and not going to boost clocks as much as everyone hopes it will
so unless they got fundamental change coming with ampere AMD may catch up completely in a year or two
but if they got fundamental change coming it may spell doom for turing owners just like for kepler owners maxwell
I seriously can't predict at this point, it's been exactly dev time for new arch. AMD got navi, nvidia got something too how good who knows

Can someone recommend a PC for someone mostly from a carpentry/woodwork background?

Try a 2070s

Not necessarily
Some workloads, emulators especially can bottleneck your cpu even if you have a weak gpu, this retarded pairing is done under assumtion that the user would only play contemporary aaa trash, which is retarded

what??????

and here is quantum break

Attached: quantum break on vega.jpg (1916x2048, 870K)

How soon until those drop to $400? That's not exactly a number I wish to exceed.

you sure it's not happening same way on nvidia gpus? those two games are known to have spotty performance

this for example is normal behavior for tw1 I don't see any huge jumps there, I don't have ch5 saves to test that

All of turing was a sandbag, including the super refreshes.
They chose "12nm"(14nm) instead of 7nm which has been available forever now just because they didn't want to offer a normal improvement. They also charged almost exactly a percent more for each card as that card was faster than the pascal model.
This will inevitably correct it self by AMD having money now and Intel entering the market. People who bought 2070, 2080, and 2080ti on launch, or even super, are going to be pissed and I don't want to be one of those people.
I'm thinking about getting like a used 1060 just to bide time

>How soon until those drop to $400?
10 months at the very least

suggestions for a less gay mobo? not willing to spend almost 200 aud on something as shit as the one i have, for some reason newegg price went up massively over the past few days on this asrock b450m

Attached: 97ee7330c94208810af4c463f176e2ee.png (1445x679, 86K)

Yeah that's what I thought. How is paying $100 more for a 2070S over a 5700XT worth it given the performance metrics? RTX features are a big ol meme still.

How does it relate to your PC requirements

>you sure it's not happening same way on nvidia gpus?
Yes, look at the frame time of a 2060 for instance
youtu.be/hPoelBg7Ht4?t=11
Notice how the frame rate is very stable and doesn't spike all over the place.
Also notice he gets 15-20fps more than on my vega on the same settings.
And keep in mind if you look at reviews of the game, people say that AMD gpus performed better, yet that is not what I personally experience at all.

>this for example is normal behavior for tw1 I don't see any huge jumps there, I don't have ch5 saves to test that
Except thats not what I get on my nvidia card, look pic related.
Notice while it's frametime isn't perfect flatline it has a lot less of those bigger spike that dip below 30fps.
Again keep in mind that the nvidia card has half the performance of the vega card, yet delivers a better experience.

Attached: witcher 1 on nvida.jpg (1911x1003, 139K)

What card will run 1440p60 at decent quality?

Just look at benchmarks on YouTube

Attached: wait_for_navi_wait_for_AIB_wait_for_bigger_navi_JUST_WAIT_FOR_AMD_0.jpg (734x582, 128K)

>he still posting it

why compare a gigashit with a strix

I just mean, as someone who's more into carpentry and woodworking, what kind of PC would be suitable. Not sure how else to put it?

did you even read?

>why compare a gigashit with a strix
What's your issue with gigabyte and strix?

>it's the "recommend me a PC for (insert unrelated hobby)" troll again

>People who bought 2070, 2080, and 2080ti on launch, or even super, are going to be pissed and I don't want to be one of those people.
>I'm thinking about getting like a used 1060 just to bide time
I'm thinking about doing the same. it's obvious the gpu market is fucked up right now and the prices are completely unreasonable. intel and amd both seem to be ready to force nvidia to come back down to earth but it feels a year or two away. but I need a gpu for a zen 2 build, so I either have to get an older card and hope something happens, or just accept the nvidia dick and get a bad value card for something high end.

>and Intel entering the market
i really expect a garbage GPU with a huge premium

>Normalized price is $430
Where the fuck is this number coming from? Cheapest one I've seen is $500. With prices only increasing to up into the $600 range.

I just don't understand what carpentry and woodworking have to do with your pc choice. what would be different about it? you should post your budget and what you want to use your pc for, not whether you like woodworking or not.

I assume you mean for CAD software?

>intel and amd both seem to be ready to force nvidia to come back down to earth
lol no, they'll just exploit nvidia price gouging and tailgate them at a slight price reduction but don't expect midrange GPU to drop to 200-250$ ever again
this ship has sailed

Attached: 1564659141683-1.png (645x773, 49K)

intel's gpu will probably target some gay segment of the market like notebooks or low end. I can't believe they will actually try and compete at the top.

I thought there might be certain components or things to look out for depending on your personal background. Not sure why this is such a difficult thing to comprehend.

Meant 5700xt price

Yes

>Where the fuck is this number coming from?
You kinda left out a word there tard?
>performance normaized
As in, if you take the performance advantage over the 5700xt and transfer that to cost, you get how much the 2070 super would cost in both cards were equal in terms of price and performance.

To put it simply, at 5700xt costing 399 and a 2070super costing 430$ they are equal in price to performance.
This is done so you can look at how much you are paying extra for stuff like raytracing and more quiet operation.

I fucking hate bitcoin