Game develoeprs start dropping support for Nvidia RTX

steamcommunity.com/app/805550/discussions/0/1642038659011501294/

>Assetta Corza (racing game) has dropped RTX support and will not even implement it in future games

So much for "it just works everything just works it just works".

Maybe, just maybe, if RTX was open source instead of GimpWorks proprietary shit, it would've catched on.

Attached: 1565193381159.jpg (471x388, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/assetto-corsa-competizione-rtx-ray-tracing/
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/SimpleRaytracingTriangle_PC12
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/SimpleRaytracingInstancing_PC12
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/RaytracingAO_PC12
uploadvr.com/virtuallink-index-cancelled/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

and here is proof the Asseto Corza series would be RTX, straight from Nvidiot official website

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/assetto-corsa-competizione-rtx-ray-tracing/

cope more nvidiots

/v/eddit. go back there.

Rtx is both a dxr and vulkan implementation. These devs are scumbags. They're basically saying "fuck industry standards we promised to support"

>Game develoeprs start dropping support for Nvidia RTX
OH NONNONOONONONONONNONOONONONO

NSHITIA BTFOREVER

S-STOP KVETCHING

Attached: 1487363881474.png (900x600, 492K)

wrong board

>it would've catched on.

it would've CAUGHT on.

Attached: smart girl.jpg (300x168, 8K)

Who knew that this total waste of developer time (due to extremely poor hardware implementation) presented as new tech would not have a future. I'm completely flabbergasted!

So only 3 games support ray tracing right now

sour grapes

Wow no one could have seen this coming. A proprietary and incomplete implementation of raytracing isn't being adopted by game developers? holy fucking shit no way.
The only ray tracer that will be adopted is one that runs on CPU and/or one that can target a wide range of GPU's general-purpose compute units.

Attached: images.png (448x328, 7K)

kek

>We are too lazy to implement RTX
>when the code for it is already out there for the taking
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/SimpleRaytracingTriangle_PC12
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/SimpleRaytracingInstancing_PC12
github.com/microsoft/Xbox-ATG-Samples/tree/master/PCSamples/Raytracing/RaytracingAO_PC12

Modern developers everyone

>Rtx is both a dxr and vulkan implementation
lmao

Good! Fuck supporting propietary standards. I hope AMD comes with a free open source implementation for raytracing in gaming.

not really

>1080p 30fps
>sour grapes
wanna run that one by me again?

>1080p 30fps
Yeah, on low-demanding games maybe. Try 1080p15fps on games like Assetto Corsa, probably the reason why the devs slashed off support for RTX.

>supporting technology that works on 0.5% of systems on a platform that is only around 20-30% of the gaming marketplace.
Yeah, only retarded (paid) devs shill RTX until consoles support it.

It's just physX and gameworks over again.

>Maybe, just maybe, if RTX was open source instead of GimpWorks proprietary shit, it would've catched on.
Hi, commie. You're right, Nvidia should innovate for free

>only retarded (paid) devs shill RTX
>CyberPunk 2077

AMD and ATi been innovating literally for free for decades, faggot.

Amds implementation will be the only one that catches on. Easier to implement and the backing of both consoles.

Anyone who thinks nvidia will win this battle is out of their fucking minds.

Nvidia is using them for marketing just as they did with TW3 and likely helped their implementation, probably also paid them a nice sum.

But that'll probably never happen because raytracing on those things is just way too slow to be practically used, it's barely do-able on dedicated hardware.

The choice to not support ray tracing probably has little to do with its proprietary nature with Nvidia and more to do with business incentives, they have to justify the cost of supporting it vs whatever ROI they get from that which will be very little.

new technology is always hard to get started because of that chicken and egg problem. Making it open source doesn't solve that problem, and doing so doesn't even guarantee that your competitors will adopt it anyway, that's just a gamble.

In 2-4 years once we've had another 2 generations of GPUs and games trying to squeeze better images out of rasterization and probably failing, and we have 2x more power than we need to even drive 4k, it will all start to be adopted, especially once the price of entry goes down. This is not unique to raytracing, all technology is like this, 1080 when it came out was too expensive, no one could afford the TVs, people whined it didn't look better than 720 or DVDs, eventually it was adopted and is now mainstream. 4k is now in that transition period and 8k on the horizon. It's a constant cycle, if you've been around long enough you'll be familiar with it and how this all works. If you're being super negative about raytracing now it's probably due to fanboyism or general naivete.

>RT cores are only for RayTracing

The problem is the RT cores are the things you always end up waiting on in the rendering pipeline if you use them for anything.

RT cores are slow as balls and tend to stall the entire rendering pipeline, not helped by the fact that they really don't due truly decoupled async. (If they did, RT-core tasks won't stall the render pipeline. They have some sort bullshit "concurrent sync" mess where you do a "sort of" async, but has to always be "hinting" which threads come before what, because it doesn't actually do them truly asynchronously.

Rtx is open source.

Na the problem is much simpler.
CPUs are getting better and cheaper while doing the same as a GPU so for development... why would you invest in a technology that was just created to counter the ever growing performance increase of CPUs?

christ, are you telling me nvidia still doesn't have actual async compute? I remember them being so fucking cagey about it with pascal, trying to claim with a straight face that they did in fact technically have async compute

>it just works

they won't go open source. likely their driver code is too embarrassing and everyone would laugh them out of existence if they did

The advancement of CPUs over the last like 8 generations has been fairly slow, we've really maxed out on clock speeds and we've shrunk the transistors but only slightly ahead of GPUs. A lot of the practical benefits in modern CPUs has come from the same kind tactic of dedicating hardware to specifc tasks. For example AES acceleration made real time disk encryption possible by making it hardware accelerated on the intel GPUs, and video playback of large media and other things like gaming on dedicated portions of the CPU to video. And CPUs have loads of other optimization that makes them way less general purpose once you dig into how the transistors are actually used.

With moores law coming to an end soon I don't see classical CPUs every being capable of ray tracing nor GPUs with general purpose cores, ray tracing is just too computationally expensive, we'll only get there with dedicated hardware to doing those operations.

>muh gaymes

Attached: 1565972858795.jpg (480x550, 36K)

Fancy Nvidia shit like hairworks and physx usually got replaced by standard stuff now found baked into the game engine and directx/vulkan libraries that don't tank your FPS by more than half so you feel compelled to buy the more expensive cards that can barely run them at 60fps instead of 30.
RTX will go the same way and everyone's lives will literally be better for it.

Attached: 1531879132958.png (364x440, 147K)

>Anime

Kek.

>normal faggot

Does this surprise anyone? RTX shit cuts framerates by half or more. Most "RTX" cards can't even take advantage of their capabilities. Of course nobody is going to bother supporting a literal meme.

The issue is not in that it shits on performance and is inanerly overpriced for what it can do. The problem lies in that noVideo's """""ray-tracing""""" is actually in incorrect, bad, downright garbage implementation. It's a faulty approach to doing it. Meanwhile, AMD laughs it's ass off as it observes this and prepares to do PROPER, 100% CORRECT ray-tracing in next generation of consoles AND in Navi/Arcturus soon. And your can bet your fucking ass AMD's ray-tracing is going to be REAL ray-tracing of highest quality.

Keep dreaming amdick lover

>RTX was open source
inb4 amd does exactly that with Navi 2 and it catches on

Attached: bda9488eea1214d29b5091e7882b816e098c9ed281808e3ce881970be0024bda.jpg (1041x1238, 294K)

kek, this amount of cope should not be possible

at least you have quake 2

and Just BUY IT

i told you faggots that it was physx all over again except without even a neat tech demo

Anime is normie tier now. Cope

Nvidia could have pushed RTX with no problems but they fucked up big time trying to jew it up.

They rushed and fucked in multiple ways.
>Expensive as fuck cards
>Low performance for the price
>Didn't even try to get it in good games people could enjoy
>Mostly a gimmick that they tried to use as a excuse to charge $200+ per card
>Hard to implement because most companies just export their shit to india and cant into optimization so the game cant run at all.

>now
Been since 2010, actually.

This

It certainly doesn't help that whatever AMD cooks up for the next console generation is going to be the new industry standard. That's probably why Nvidia rushed out their meme cores.

Next year is going to be interesting - AMD is going to release their big gaming cards (probably on TSMC's 7+nm EUV process) while Nvidia puts out their new generation on Samsung's 7nm. If they waste too much die space on meme cores again, they might actually be in trouble, given how the 5700 cards performed better than expected and are actually somewhat competitive.

Thank you Aoba. I see the light now.

Attached: 76fcbf5fae92182516f03f84e80f4485.png (1549x930, 1.6M)

they always had it

>nteresting that they aren't even "exploring" something that was advertised from the start and is still listed on NVIDIA's site as an example. Oh well, at least I can just uninstall and move on to the half dozen other racing sims I have that smoke ACC in pretty much every way in my opinion.

aahah the cope is real " i unistall ze game cause i paid 1200 dollars for a gpu with meme features "

That's some shit latin.

>get 53fps with RTX on
>get close to 100 + on ultra with it off

yeah tough choice

>newfag doesn't know lorem ipsum

Attached: file.png (821x94, 24K)

It's not /v/ until there are no more nvidiots on Jow Forums

Except for RTX buyers who will be on suicide watch.

delet kind sir

The hardware is too weak for ray tracing, really dumb meme.

Don't be an Nvidiot.
Get a gwaffix card that doesn't need stupid ass made up software to unlock things it can already do on-board, like oh IDK, physx?
"Better Card" specs wise, but every other manufacturer hits the Bang for Buck ratio a hundred times better.
And don't reply to me with your linus tech tips bullshit, I don't need to hear from that shill.

LTT says the RTX cards suck and that they are overpriced tho.

>le ironic weeb calling someone a normalfag

>GimpWorks proprietary shit
Doesn't it just implement DXR, which anybody else can also implement?

It is in no way open source. You can however use it via open or semi-open standards like Vulkan or DXR.

W-what if I've been watching anime since long before it went mainstream?

Attached: yui-1.gif (360x360, 653K)

>nvidia dooming another cool tech like physx or hairworks to become irrelevant because they refuse to share.
Why do they do it?
Who gains from this when amd/everyone else and eventually even they adopt an open source rtx/ray tracing alternative once rtx is dead?

Nvidia loses it all. They can't sustain themselves on gaymer revenue alone when APUs will eventually eat up 99% of marketshare. Their enterprise is going to shrink as well once ASICs eat up that space as well. They have to own a niche powerful enough to combat those future chips, but it's looking like RTX ain't it either.

>It's just physX
I told you this on the very day the RTX series was announced.

That's literally what it is. RTX is a name for their raytracing platform which is just the hardware and drivers for DXR and VulkanRT

There's nothing to share. Nothing about RTX is proprietary to nvidia except the hardware, which is also true for AMD and their hardware.

RTX is just a special name for "our DXR drivers issue operations to the matrix multiplication accelerators attached to the SMs instead of doing it in the shaders". AMD should have released DXR and Vulkan raytracing drivers for GCN and Navi already, there's nothing stopping them other than laziness. DXR is a DX12 extension designed by MS and Vulkan is extensible, nvidia literally cannot stop them from supporting raytracing

>nvidiots spend thousands on a new video card
>it doesn't even work with new games

I'm fucking dying

Attached: 1401977438474.jpg (330x319, 47K)

quake II is all you need *sip*

Attached: 1530993406100.png (380x349, 77K)

raytracing is going to be dropped due to difficulty. modern game companies can barely build engines now

Kek.

they have it now in turing. turing is now able to do compute + graphics simultaneously instead of context switching found on pascal and below.

If AMD cards ever become competitive again (the 5700XT is bretty good so that's today) then game devs really won't bother developing RTX when it's both a dumb meme and also reducing sales.

It's a feature of DX12 and one day Vulkan. Nvidia has no sort of monopoly on it. AMD just isn't doing ray tracing right now because it's irrelevant with current hardware.

yes. the only proprietary thing is the hardware that runs the industry standard implementation by dx12 and vulkan. complaining about the hardware being proprietary is exactly the same as complaining about amd gpu's being proprietary. now does nvidia also offer their own library and extra, nvidia only extensions to it? of course they do. no different than amd offering the same. such as, i forget the name, but it was an proprietary extension that obviously only worked on amd gpu's that allowed doom to access more low level hardware that vulkan couldn't expose on compatible radeon cards when ran under, well, vulkan.

>One of the amd benchmark games dropped an nvidia feature
Does anyone even own this game on PC?

rtx isn't nvidia only you idiot. rtx is just nvidia's ~hardware~ implantation of the industry standard of dx12 and soon vulkan raytracing capability. all nvidia did was expose capability to it by their drivers and developed dedicated ray tracing cores to offload the ray tracing work from the gpu to the cores instead. its why nvidia was able to enable support to it for pascal which don't have dedicated hardware acceleration cores for it.

there's nothing stopping amd from doing it.

>RTX isn't Nvidia's
>RTX is Nvidia's
Illiterate idiot.

imagine falling for the RTX dumpster meme lmao. imagine how fucking brainwashed you had to be to fall for what was essentially crowdfunding for a feature that would eventually turn into more greedy shit when Nvidia had developed it to be actually decent

>there's nothing stopping
except its meme status

uploadvr.com/virtuallink-index-cancelled/
Valve dropping virtuallink support. 2000series tards BTFO

Yeah, but it's concurrent, but not decoupled.

True async is execution decoupling, where the operating mode is basically "data will be there when they're there, proceed as usual regardless" whereas concurrent "async" is basically "ok, data said he'll be back any second now, let's wait before issuing a new thread".

Yes, technically it IS simultaneous execution, but not completely asynchronous. It is still bound to wait on things, whereas the idea behind async is to use as much free computational power to do anything else without being bound to the timing of another instruction.

Ya know

>code is already out there
Well yeah, if you use novidia's implementation you'll have to treat differently non rtx card and you'll have to treat differently amd cards and you have to treat differently intel's igps...
So, novidia's market segmentation starts to fall apart when novidia doesn't offer gibs devs and ad money to studios in order to support 2 versions of code even for the same brand.
Everybody will say fuck you to novidia and go the vulkan/d3d way and be done with it.
Imagine being this delusional that since the code is available, everyone will waste their time with your marketing gimmicks.
Also ray cadting is not ray tracing.

Attached: 1554701922114.jpg (240x240, 6K)

ray casting is the superior technique, as proved by doom, duke nukem and wolfenstein.

It's over, nToddlers are finished.

Attached: debiruf.png (178x336, 44K)

Who the fuck cares about games. Wheres my 3dcg workstation realtime raytracing???

Show me that source.

>open source

Stop saying open source. Windows is fucking open source now. You mean free software.

>free
I think you mean libre software

Imagine my surprise when the larpers and no-devs that infest /g think that these cards can only be used for playing video games and not doing actual work.

Pic related.

Attached: substance rtx support.png (1371x651, 180K)

/v/ is for discussing games
Jow Forums is for discussing the technology that runs games

hope this helps!

More pic related

This

Attached: substance_p rtx support part 2.png (1369x1529, 1.06M)