Photoshop, Word, Excel

>Photoshop, Word, Excel
>Linux has none of that
>only has shitty variants that literally nobody in a professional or respectable environment uses
Is Linux just a meme? any of you have a job or at least a workflow that utilizes Linux daily?
I just want a justification to use it, I am tired of windows but what the point of changing it if I will need to start using shitty apps?
>B-but Wine!

Attached: 1616515.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blender.org/user-stories/japanese-anime-studio-khara-moving-to-blender/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> WSL
> mfw even your windows has linux in it now

I use the Linux kernel daily at my job but I don't run any programs like that directly from it because that's impossible. Why are you comparing an OS to a kernel?

Do you really need that software or is this yet another thread when suddenly every shill becomes a professional artist?

Whether you have the GNU coreutils installed is completely irrelevant to whether Photoshop is Linux-portable. It isn't.

>I'm a brainlet holy shit

>it's a i"f you don't depend on adobe the you don't have a job" episode

Linux is macOS for poor people.

>Word
>Excel
>Professional artist
What?

?

Okay now you're bringing up gnu/Linux so that makes more sense. You can easily run Photoshop in gnu/linux.

Freetards trying to cope with the "linux is kernel" meme, shut the fuck up you know what we they're trying to say

Yeah I know what they mean, but I'm also going to call people out if they were to call macOS fucking Darwin. It's retarded.

Loonix is only useful for software developers. Unless you're compiling stuff from source frequently then stay away from Loonix.

I am a medical professional. I find that linux is much more practical for people in my field of work

>but personalization!
>but freedom!
>w-wait are you telling me that 99% of professionals outside very specific fields use either Windows or Mac?
>n-no way, are you telling me that if I get a job I will be the only who will ever care about free source code?
>nooooooooo are you telling me that there are far greater chances of me encountering a successful Itoddler than somebody who spends his time installing 999999999 repositories daily?
>nooooooooooooo are you saying that 99.100% of people in desktop threads don't have a job and that's why they can spend all of their time making their desktops look pretty and installing 20 different distros per day?

Attached: 1519869976239.png (633x758, 34K)

>Word, Excel
You do know that these are also available for free online, right?
>B-but Wine!
What but? But what? The solution can't be a solution because it doesn't fit some bullshit narrative?

I do full stack development for progressive web apps and I couldn't give a single shit about my OS even if I wanted to. In my home office I use a macbook and otg I use a Thinkpad x250 with OpenPEPE. It's only a matter of time before Photoshop will run in a browser anyway, you know it's true.

even the 2.0 version is shit bro
the effort is noble but let's not kid ourselves, it's still pretty shit with no direct link towards the hardware

What do you mean, no direct link to the hardware? Everything is there.

>doesn't know how to use gimp
>doesn't want to relearn another program capable of doing mostly the same thing
>hasn't heard it researched close alternatives to office like WPS Office
Neck yourself

>tfw OSX
best of both worlds
keep fighting pajeets

look into it, they rewrite the kernel for windows. Right now you can't access the GPU directly and do many things.
Again, noble effort but I'd give it another 2 years for the 2.0 version to even consider it over a bare metal installation.

this
install it on hardware that doesn't melt from watching videos and you have the best PC imaginable

Curious about a usecase for accessing the GPU directly from a terminal emulator.

I don't use any of those programs. I have no reason to use any of those programs. Why would I need a 50GB $50 subscription program to edit images? Why would I need a $100 subscription program to write documents or proprietary csv files? Why would I need a $100 30GB operating system to serve as a wrapper for my web browser, file storage, media player, and text editor?

But the most important question is why do corporate buttlickers such as yourself think you can gain by showing your obvious lack of intelligence on an anonymous technology forum?

Windows is created for people who want to get work done and move to another task or end using computer.

Linux is for people who dont value their time and have autistic desire to rice everything. They dont want to acomplish anything, they just want it to extend it. To take as much time as they need.

work? you can also have GUI from from WSL. for CPU and basic shit i use wsl aswell but it's very limited.

>>Photoshop, Word, Excel
What do people use these for?
I can see photoshop if you are professional photographer, but how many people are that?

Word and Excel are literally irrelevant in an age in which things like Google docs exist.

Photoshop run on muh machine with wine.
but it was the 2015 version and 32 bit.
i would still rather use krita for most things.
and also i use google docs.
>but google is a botnet
so i dont care if they see my word documents.
word/excel documents are too important to keep in your harddrive anyways.

A clone of it has been running on the browser for years already. Its garbage. Just like google spreadsheets. Snappiness and response feedback is garbage tier.

>>w-wait are you telling me that 99% of professionals outside very specific fields use either Windows or Mac?
If you are the small percentage of the population who needs specific Software for their professional Job, then just don't use Linux.
But that is a tiny minority of people and they only needed for their works Computers...

Can I get a quick rundown of why one would use Linux? Like why do all the thinkfags circlejerk over Linux?

>Windows needs to run the Linux Kernel to become useful.
LOL

>Can I get a quick rundown of why one would use Linux?
Because you want an OS which you can configure however you want and adapt to your workflow to become more efficient.

Google docs became unusable with around 10k rows.

Given that many small and medium enterprises use excell as their database (retarded, I know right?) this is not even close to enough.

Also, diffrent funcitions.

this

Because you don't want to use TelemetryOS?

>Given that many small and medium enterprises use excell as their database
Yes, and why does that mean that every employee has to use Excel on his private machine?

so they can take their work home...

It's not even called OSX anymore.
Pay a fortune for Apple's weak-ass hardware, or struggle to install their OS on machines they don't want you to install it on. Neither is a wise move.

I've been a Linux user since 2005, started with Mandrake.
For a daily driver, e-mail, browsing, (((social media))) and the casual crap, Linux is much better. Doesn't get sluggish, takes care of itself rather well and now driver support is great.
My mother got some virus on Winblows, lost 1100USD. I put Ubuntu on her laptop, and until she passed away, she used it and was happy with it. After a while she began teasing her coworkers about using Linux, pretty much like people here.
If you're doing graphics, audio or video, I am not certain that Linux is for you.
Also, you can play 80% of games. You can probably play windows games now that Windows 10 is being forced down everyone's throat.

What do you do on a daily basis?

>photoshop
legit
>word
For fucks sake I use latex or patoline, pleb.
>excel
Unironically use python + csv files; or google sheets. MS Excel is heavily limited in scriptability, which I literally cannot stand. I have my lifting training in sheets and I was able to easily code the formulas I have derived to predict my 1RM. Good luck with that in Excel.

>web apps
kill yourself

>Gimp, Libre Office
The only people who can't use these tools are winbabbies who have never used anything else

What?
Are people really forced by their employers to work on their databases at a scale which forces them to install random programs on their own devices?
Is halt of the economy data entry, or what?

krita is better than gimp tho.

>installing repositories

At my job I think I launch Word 2 times a month, Excel once a week. No Adobe products.
I could easily use Google Docs or Office 365, and not miss a single thing. With stuff like WebAssembly becoming popular, basically everything is going to be made into a web app.

10K rows in ANY spreadsheet is simply inexcusable.

Do you know about things like remote access, or a fucking database with a web interface?
What company would have their employee take home a 10k row excel doc?

I'm not saying it's not since I've never used Krita, but isn't it skewed more towards digital art instead of photo manipulation?

Better UI
Less retarded filesystem layout
More efficient in terms of hardware usage
The only reason I use Windows at all is muh gamez.

>taking your work home

Attached: disgust.jpg (306x306, 20K)

>not having dual boot

I use Linux for my job but Windows for everything that isn't my job.

>Also, you can play 80% of games.
last time i checked linux could only play some games on steam.
Like civilization and bioshock and they were old versions too.

>last time i checked
There are quite a few AAA games supported nowadays and with proton you got a pretty good chance for many more.

but user I love my work... Also part of my job is to keep myself updated and learn new things... something I would rather do at home, and then use my normal working hours to do the real part of the work.

>Less retarded filesystem layout
Lolwut. That Unix cruft is the most annoying thing about Linux. Apple was very smart to keep it hidden from normal users.

I did use Ubuntu for a while. But then I realized that every time I played a game, I would just stream it from my Windows PC, which worked not really all that well. Any game I tried to play, if it existed natively, either did not launch (Dota 2) or ran really poorly (TF2) because of shitty driver support. And for games that did not exist natively, well, you had to use WINE.

When I realized that if I wanted to ever use non-natively available software on Linux, which was quite often, I would have to use WINE, I just cut out the middle man and reinstalled Windows
I don't doubt Linux's worth for developers, it's much better than Windows thanks to its packaging system, but for leisure or personal use it's just inferior to Windows

And I know what you'll say.
>dude, grow up, you're an adult, stop playing video games
but this is the problem with fossfriends - every time someone points out that windows is better at something than linux, fossfriends try to twist it into some sort of advantage of linux, like it's better than windows for having less options
>can't play games? good, games are toys, you're an adult
>software/drivers doesn't exist on it? good, that software is proprietary, it's unhealthy
>software lacks features compared to proprietary software? good, that means it's suckless
>have to use the terminal and compile apps yourself if they're not in the repos? good, that means you have to think when you use linux (even though you just follow a README when installing)

I know this is Jow Forums but this autism is off the charts.

>part of my job is to keep myself updated and learn new things.
Why do you need Excel for that?

>virtualbox
>mfw even any linux distro can have a windows in it

Enjoy being a cuck for your boss

My man, you need to be careful to not burn yourself out.
You're not the owner of the business, so don't sacrifice your personal growth in other areas just so you can be really good at writing code for Mr. Noseberg.

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

I was not specifically adressing the Excel thing, but the "taking work home is bad" thing.

Its nice having BASH even if it is hobbled a bit.

Dilate

Put Windows inside a virtual machine then.

good pasta.

>last time i checked linux could only play some games on steam.
Steam has almost *six thousand* Linux games, and ProtonDB lists about the same number of compatible games.

I am aware of the company underpaying me (something I am going to correct soon or leave for another), as for the burn, I sometimes stop if I feel that I need a break (happened a couple times). Also I have a gf and go to gym, so it's not a life of work only.
But most importantly, my job is research-related. So it's not like I am pushing the schedule to fill more tickets per week so mr nosenberg is happy; I genuinely enjoy the innovative character of my job.

I love these

these nuts?

Well that's better than the codemonkey who goes home and works on projects, your work does have some intrinsic value.
Regardless, I've found that it's important to have balance. For me, that means I've made my home a "job-free" zone. If I need to get things done at work, I can stay late.

>M-MUH PHOTOSHART
Krita, Blender, Natron, etc. It's not the same set of applications, no, but they're becoming very compelling alternatives for artists. Studio Khara is using Blender to make Evangelion 4.0 and future projects.

blender.org/user-stories/japanese-anime-studio-khara-moving-to-blender/

>muh MS Orifice
This one is only still true because of Excel, and if you're using Excel crunching numbers that hard rather than a better tool, you're probably doing it on a work machine.

Can't you run excel in wine? Or an older version atleast?

yeah. i do scientific computing stuff and been using linux at work for the past 20 years. Can't imagine using an os with candy crush tiles and where a CreateProcess call takes 10 seconds.

I have something much better, I have org-mode.

Microsoft's last assets are excel and visual studio. If they ever get a linux port windows is dead.

winblows won't die unless azure dies on them, mark my fucking works.
For end users like us is about small programs. That gives no money, the purchasing power of plebs like us is laughable. otoh, companies move shittons of money per second, and M$ has positioned itself to funnel a lot of that money in their pockets.
In other words, the biggest revenue for M$ is from company-related services like azure. Remember that M$ has spent billions in advertising over companies like Google and Amazon, and it has paid off.

You can, but in most cases if you're using Excel for serious work these days you're using it for integration with other applications, MS support, etc. That means Windows for now because Linux is like half of Azure workloads already.

>>only has shitty variants that literally nobody in a professional or respectable environment uses
you realize actual movie studios use linux with their own proprietary software because the winshit options are garbage and the os itself is trash and expensive?
CERN, Pixar and god knows how many studios and labs use CentOS because the same old rusty libraries are maintained for years, so you get to maintain a stable application without much breakages

libreoffice is really comfy, or you can use office in wine, but idk why you'd want to. Photoshop doesn't have any good alternatives, but again, wine. I just like using linux because it's fun to fuck around with, whereas windows is boring to use.

What exactly would "professionals" use Word for that cannot be done in LibreOffice or LaTeX?

Attached: just go on the internet.jpg (475x355, 50K)

WSL is GNU without Linux

Or maybe these tools are just shits?
Good software like Krita and Blender have no problem compete with other software on Windows.

>Paying for OS and Software

Attached: 1290134687090.jpg (446x400, 45K)

Not the full versions. That said, Libre Calc is just as good as Excel, even for statistics and other business stuff.

Paying a monthly subscription to an evil corporation, just so you can make circles.
When you could make circles in vim, and make an optional, voluntary donation to needy Ugandan children.

>Photoshop
imagine voluntarily installing adobe spyware

OP is a fag

>Photoshop
Krita.

yes you can. i run 2007 excel fine in wine

>or you can use office in wine, but idk why you'd want to
if you work together with other people using Microsoft Office, it might fuck around with the formatting.

i got a CS 5.5 license years ago back then and thats basically one of the few softwares holding me to windows.

can i just sell it

you can just use CS5 in wine; it runs perfectly. Everything up to 2015 seems to run pretty much perfectly with not much fuckign with; and you can get newer versions to work with a little fucking around.

does this count for photoshop only or also for indesign, illustrator and so on?

shit; I'm a fucking retard, i thought you were just talking about PS.
For the most part you can get the others working, but they take a bunch of fucking with and it's hit and miss, if you don't want to be fighting to get them to work you should prolly just stay on windows.

If you need PS, Word, or Excel, you don't need to be on Linux.

GIMP blows chunks. I use GIMP every fucking day. It fucking sucks. It's fairly reasonable for quick edit jobs (90% of what I do), but it's awful for any kind of large scale editing job (anything involving layer management is a pain in the ass) and doesn't have anything whatsoever for non-destructive edits.
LibreOffice ranges from okay (Writer -- wrote a bunch of shit in uni with it, no issues) to shit (Impress is a slow piece of shit -- it gets the job done, but I ended up just installing Office, and it does a much worse job of opening PPTX files properly than Writer does of opening DOCX).

A Python+CSV setup is for an entirely different class of user than someone who uses spreadsheet software.

>or Video
there's a fair few high-end software packages for video editing on Linux
and I do mean high-end, it's expensive stuff that movie studios use

this pasta is classic

This. PS works perfectly fine (I was using CS6), but I remember having a fuckton of issues with other shit. I think I ended up installing an ancient pre-CS verison of Flash and Illustrator.

this was some time ago, but I suspect things haven't really changed too too much

>shit; I'm a fucking retard, i thought you were just talking about PS.
naah, i could've said it in a more clear way.

but thanks for your answer

actually i dont really use anything besides photoshop anymore

>paying for an operating system
>stealing other peoples work because you don't want to pay but you're too stupid to use Linux

cucks

Classic.

Attached: 902.jpg (1000x800, 61K)